Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thread: Pompey home 14:01 - Apr 7 with 22283 views442Dale

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match thread: Pompey home on 14:10 - Apr 8 with 3206 viewsNewbury_Dale

In situations like yesterday, you're really looking for your senior players (esp captain) to manage the game at 3-2. Game Management. Do a Darren Ferguson and kill the tempo. The players just didnt seem to have the mental capacity to cope with it. Lillis consistently shanking his kicks into the main stand added to the tension; and of course the OG - even when we went 3-2 up, I never thought we'd actually win the game.
Match thread: Pompey home on 14:28 - Apr 8 with 3164 views442Dale

Match thread: Pompey home on 14:02 - Apr 8 by BartRowou

If you watch the Shrewsbury non-penalty, the only player who seems to be in control of his emotions is "Magus" Wiseman.
Next time we're defending a one-goal lead in the last few minutes, I'd stick him on otherwise we'll be gifting the opposition more chances/goals.

Yet another reason to add to the list why the choices made were clearly wrong. We didn’t even learn from what had worked the previous two games!

Match thread: Pompey home on 15:10 - Apr 8 with 3077 viewsfitzochris

Match thread: Pompey home on 14:28 - Apr 8 by 442Dale

Yet another reason to add to the list why the choices made were clearly wrong. We didn’t even learn from what had worked the previous two games!

Careful now 442, or Hill might be calling for you to be banned in his next interview.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match thread: Pompey home on 15:49 - Apr 8 with 3010 viewsJames1980

Is it possible the players brought on have done well in defensive drills during training and Keith has used them as substitutes because of this ?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Match thread: Pompey home on 18:20 - Apr 8 with 2803 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Pompey home on 15:49 - Apr 8 by James1980

Is it possible the players brought on have done well in defensive drills during training and Keith has used them as substitutes because of this ?

Delaney purely came on to help with the big lump (number 9) as by then Portsmouth's only tactic was the long ball and cause a bit of mayhem. It worked for them this time - on another day Done doesn't head it in and we get 3 points and Hill isn't an inept tactical idiot.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match thread: Pompey home on 18:23 - Apr 8 with 2799 viewsfermin

Match thread: Pompey home on 13:55 - Apr 8 by Sandyman

I'd disagree. The subs raised concerns as they weren't really needed. Our current strength is going forward, not defending. We seemed, yet again, to be setting out the team to defend a slim lead - a tactic which has cost us dearly in far too many games, not just yesterday. A mistake that keeps being repeated and needs sorting out, and negates the hard work done in games to secure 3 points. If they were hoofing it up to their forwards, we should have been hoofing it back up to ours, and they should have been ready to receive the ball and surge forward instead of sitting deep in our own half late in a game. Again.

Onwards and upwards.

I was travelling back on the train to Manchester with some Pompey fans and overheard some of their views. They agreed our big mistake was sitting back for the last quarter of an hour. If we had carried on as we had they thought we would have won. They also thought we were a decent side and couldn't understand our league position. Not much different to our opinions, but I thought I might as well share it.

I have to say it was a great game and great perfomance from our players who gave everything. The late goal was a kick in the teeth but you could see it coming unfortunately. A pity we could not have played a bit more like that in recent games against poor opponents (eg only two points from MK, Wimbledon and Fleetwood) could turn out to be critical - more so than 'only' a point against Pompey - though the Wimbledon game was more down to a quite extraordinary succession of missed chances and great saves to be fair.

I haven't seen as many games as usual this season, but even if we do go down I am pleased we are making a decent fight of it even though we shoot ourselves in the foot now and then. Much more different to how I felt around New Year when we looked like we were going down with a whimper. Now we appear at least to look more like a Keith Hill side than an Eyre/Coleman one, despite the playing/managerial errors others have pointed out.
Match thread: Pompey home on 18:35 - Apr 8 with 2776 views442Dale

Match thread: Pompey home on 18:20 - Apr 8 by dingdangblue

Delaney purely came on to help with the big lump (number 9) as by then Portsmouth's only tactic was the long ball and cause a bit of mayhem. It worked for them this time - on another day Done doesn't head it in and we get 3 points and Hill isn't an inept tactical idiot.

Who called him a tactical idiot? He made an error in choice of substitutions, that’s all. Just like he made good choices against Shrewsbury and Bury. All fine margins but, without speaking for anyone else, the concerns around the Thompson sub would have remained if we’d won. As plenty said at the time when he was introduced, it didn’t make much sense. Same as Ntlhe at Bury, except he showed exactly why he was used in such a role with Hill explaining as much afterwards. Unfortunately he or Wiseman weren’t the choice this time and the one that we went with didn’t work as well.

Hill’s a good manager, he’ll know.

Match thread: Pompey home on 18:48 - Apr 8 with 2734 viewsJimmyRustler

I think Done was a million to ever head that ball over the bar and if he left it, the guy behind him would have undoubtedly put it in. Those are the kinda situations where you want your keeper coming out and punching the f**k out of the ball, defender and their player. 99/100, the keeper gets the free-kick and we get 3 points. Goalkeepers get so much protection nowadays and Lillis should definitely take more advantage of this than he does at present
Login to get fewer ads

Match thread: Pompey home on 19:20 - Apr 8 with 2641 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Pompey home on 18:35 - Apr 8 by 442Dale

Who called him a tactical idiot? He made an error in choice of substitutions, that’s all. Just like he made good choices against Shrewsbury and Bury. All fine margins but, without speaking for anyone else, the concerns around the Thompson sub would have remained if we’d won. As plenty said at the time when he was introduced, it didn’t make much sense. Same as Ntlhe at Bury, except he showed exactly why he was used in such a role with Hill explaining as much afterwards. Unfortunately he or Wiseman weren’t the choice this time and the one that we went with didn’t work as well.

Hill’s a good manager, he’ll know.

Bringing Thompson on cost us the equalising goal? I know he's a bit of a hated figure on here (I'm not saying by you) but it was just a really bad goal and I think people are looking for excuses when there aren't any. It was a freak goal - long punt to the big lump - 2 flick ons and an o.g. That could have happened whoever we brought on. And I'm not having it that the substitution's would have been criticised had we held on - no way! All the talk would have been about us getting out of the relegation zone for the first time in 4 months! You really think had we just won 3 in a row people would have been arsed about the subs?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Match thread: Pompey home on 19:30 - Apr 8 with 2629 viewsrochdale_ranger

Match thread: Pompey home on 19:20 - Apr 8 by dingdangblue

Bringing Thompson on cost us the equalising goal? I know he's a bit of a hated figure on here (I'm not saying by you) but it was just a really bad goal and I think people are looking for excuses when there aren't any. It was a freak goal - long punt to the big lump - 2 flick ons and an o.g. That could have happened whoever we brought on. And I'm not having it that the substitution's would have been criticised had we held on - no way! All the talk would have been about us getting out of the relegation zone for the first time in 4 months! You really think had we just won 3 in a row people would have been arsed about the subs?

People have questioned whether he is a league 1 footballer I wouldn’t say anybody hates the lad lets not go over the top. I was a bit baffled at the reaction to him being brought on on here after the game though. Every time we scored they looked like they would pop up and score. Poor defending and a horrendous own goal from an experienced player who should no better is what cost us not Joey T.
Match thread: Pompey home on 19:30 - Apr 8 with 2630 views442Dale

Match thread: Pompey home on 19:20 - Apr 8 by dingdangblue

Yes. I would.

Read the posts where people said we went to deep, where Pompey fans commented on it. That result was partly as a result of a poor substitution. It’s perfectly ok that you see no wrong with bringing Thompson on or failing to acknowledge it didn’t make much sense when there were other options, but others think differently.

As you said “a really bad goal”. So what could we have done differently to avoid it? Those points have been made. You know your football, DDB, so does Keith Hill. You know he’ll be fully aware of what he could have done differently.

Match thread: Pompey home on 19:32 - Apr 8 with 2624 views442Dale

Match thread: Pompey home on 19:30 - Apr 8 by rochdale_ranger

People have questioned whether he is a league 1 footballer I wouldn’t say anybody hates the lad lets not go over the top. I was a bit baffled at the reaction to him being brought on on here after the game though. Every time we scored they looked like they would pop up and score. Poor defending and a horrendous own goal from an experienced player who should no better is what cost us not Joey T.

No, he wasn’t at fault for the goal. As has been said earlier, it’s not Thompson that is really the issue. It’s not using other proven options.

Match thread: Pompey home on 19:38 - Apr 8 with 2603 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Pompey home on 19:30 - Apr 8 by rochdale_ranger

Can you please elaborate on what Done should have done differently in that situation?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match thread: Pompey home on 20:08 - Apr 8 with 2556 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Pompey home on 19:30 - Apr 8 by 442Dale

Yes. I would.

Read the posts where people said we went to deep, where Pompey fans commented on it. That result was partly as a result of a poor substitution. It’s perfectly ok that you see no wrong with bringing Thompson on or failing to acknowledge it didn’t make much sense when there were other options, but others think differently.

As you said “a really bad goal”. So what could we have done differently to avoid it? Those points have been made. You know your football, DDB, so does Keith Hill. You know he’ll be fully aware of what he could have done differently.

I honestly don't think we could have done anything - it was just one of those days. Even Portsmouth's 2nd equaliser came from a debatable free kick given to them for an accidental clash of heads and some more rank bad defending. When we beat Wigan Tuesday all will be forgiven. 😉

Match thread: Pompey home on 21:20 - Apr 8 with 2460 viewsDaleiLama

Match thread: Pompey home on 20:08 - Apr 8 by dingdangblue

I honestly don't think we could have done anything - it was just one of those days. Even Portsmouth's 2nd equaliser came from a debatable free kick given to them for an accidental clash of heads and some more rank bad defending. When we beat Wigan Tuesday all will be forgiven. 😉

I'm of the same opinion. Said to the chap I sit next to, I'll be comfortable if we get 5 up against these. Every time we scored 1, I said it won't be enough and I wouldn't be surprised if they came right back and scored, which they did each time. I did think we might just have Done enough (sorry) to hang on when we got them into stoppage time, but they rightly lumped everything forward at every opportunity and got lucky. We did something similar against Spurs. It happens.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match thread: Pompey home on 22:17 - Apr 8 with 2361 viewsrochdale_ranger

Match thread: Pompey home on 19:38 - Apr 8 by TVOS1907

Can you please elaborate on what Done should have done differently in that situation?

Headed it anywhere else other then into the back of our own net.
Match thread: Pompey home on 22:42 - Apr 8 with 2312 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Pompey home on 22:17 - Apr 8 by rochdale_ranger

Headed it anywhere else other then into the back of our own net.

I'm not sure he could do anything other than what he did in the circumstances.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match thread: Pompey home on 23:15 - Apr 8 with 2276 viewsbrownale

Match thread: Pompey home on 22:42 - Apr 8 by TVOS1907

I'm not sure he could do anything other than what he did in the circumstances.

With the push in the back he got off their player which would have been a free kick anywhere else in the field
Match thread: Pompey home on 04:56 - Apr 9 with 2136 viewsdownunder

Match thread: Pompey home on 23:15 - Apr 8 by brownale

With the push in the back he got off their player which would have been a free kick anywhere else in the field

I thought that as well. . The only time when you wished that Simon Coleman was on the pitch, and in that position.
Match thread: Pompey home on 06:18 - Apr 9 with 2096 viewsColDale

The timing of the game makes a whole heap of difference to how we look at it.

Had this been played earlier in the season, without league table pressure, then I reckon we'd be waxing lyrical about this game, and some of the football we played. The second goal was almost a work of art given the passing that lead to it. There were so many positives to it and from an attacking point of view, it's probably the best we've played all season.

The league table in April makes all the difference, and the Pompey goal coupled with the Walsall winner, put a whole different complexion on things. What could have been six needed from seven could well be 9/10 needed from 7. Small margins.

When we made the subs, I genuinely struggled to think what we would do. They were all playing that well, I couldn't think of any player that I'd take off, and it's not often you think that way. For me, the big concern for me is that Pompey had shown a ruthless streak every time they attacked us. It might have been few and far between, but they always carried a goal threat, and as a team we were scared stiff of Pitman.

But its the small margins again. Done heads that ball over the bar, and I'd argue that we played the game out far better than we did against Shrewsbury. The Shrews game saw late saves by Lillis, them hitting the crossbar and the penalty issue. Against Pompey, we didn't even allow them a worthwhile shot on goal, and again, had Done stuck that over the bar, I reckon we'd be talking on here about our superb game management for that final 20 minutes where we restricted a dangerous side to not a single shot on target.
Match thread: Pompey home on 07:52 - Apr 9 with 2018 viewsDaleiLama

Match thread: Pompey home on 06:18 - Apr 9 by ColDale

The timing of the game makes a whole heap of difference to how we look at it.

Had this been played earlier in the season, without league table pressure, then I reckon we'd be waxing lyrical about this game, and some of the football we played. The second goal was almost a work of art given the passing that lead to it. There were so many positives to it and from an attacking point of view, it's probably the best we've played all season.

The league table in April makes all the difference, and the Pompey goal coupled with the Walsall winner, put a whole different complexion on things. What could have been six needed from seven could well be 9/10 needed from 7. Small margins.

When we made the subs, I genuinely struggled to think what we would do. They were all playing that well, I couldn't think of any player that I'd take off, and it's not often you think that way. For me, the big concern for me is that Pompey had shown a ruthless streak every time they attacked us. It might have been few and far between, but they always carried a goal threat, and as a team we were scared stiff of Pitman.

But its the small margins again. Done heads that ball over the bar, and I'd argue that we played the game out far better than we did against Shrewsbury. The Shrews game saw late saves by Lillis, them hitting the crossbar and the penalty issue. Against Pompey, we didn't even allow them a worthwhile shot on goal, and again, had Done stuck that over the bar, I reckon we'd be talking on here about our superb game management for that final 20 minutes where we restricted a dangerous side to not a single shot on target.

Good perspective Col.

When I was commenting to the bloke next to me on the motm, I also said I couldn't think of a single player I would substitute from a merit point of view as up til then I thought there were no bad performances. A few mistakes, but no bad performances. The only change I thought could happen was the obligatory Davies/Humphrys swap, which didn't.

Match thread: Pompey home on 10:08 - Apr 9 with 1923 viewsNorthernDale

I must admit when the goal went off Matty, I was gutted to say the least because we played extremely well and it was the sort of performance that will give the fans hope. I accept that Wigan are a different class and are in truth are basically a championship side in league 1 and so I would welcome a point against them.

In terms of mistakes, I think KH made a mistake in taking Inman (who was very good) and to some extent taking Humphrys off was questionable. I would have taken off Andrews because he was exhausted and brought on Delaney to shore up the defence, and if taking Humphrys was correct he should have been replaced by Davies and not Thompson, who is not good enough for league 2 never mid league 1. To some extent KH made the same mistakes he made in the early part of the season when we got in front he went defensive and usually ended with 1 point instead of 3, I though when we he made the changes, we were on top and the changes may have effected us.

May I ask is correct that Brad Inman not available for Saturday game at Peterborough and if so, who replaces him in the midfield?
Match thread: Pompey home on 10:52 - Apr 9 with 1862 views442Dale

Match thread: Pompey home on 07:52 - Apr 9 by DaleiLama

Good perspective Col.

When I was commenting to the bloke next to me on the motm, I also said I couldn't think of a single player I would substitute from a merit point of view as up til then I thought there were no bad performances. A few mistakes, but no bad performances. The only change I thought could happen was the obligatory Davies/Humphrys swap, which didn't.

It was going to be Davies coming on. He was stripped, but then we scored to make it 3-2 and he sat back down again.

Match thread: Pompey home on 17:14 - Apr 9 with 1538 viewsDaleiLama

Match thread: Pompey home on 10:52 - Apr 9 by 442Dale

It was going to be Davies coming on. He was stripped, but then we scored to make it 3-2 and he sat back down again.

Thanks for clearing that up. It looked like he was stood in the dugout but from where I sit you can't actually see what goes on in there.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024