Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview 10:04 - Sep 9 with 19242 viewsNorthernr

Spent some time yesterday afternoon with Warburton. Interview here, Patreon subs can download the audio.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/52847/warbs-talks-
Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 15:15 - Sep 9 with 2158 viewscpgerber

I'm not too worried about "only" 2 more incoming. We look OK. Thinnish, but remember, we only really need to be better than 3 other teams and that we will easily be. Of course we want to improve and make progress, but given our current situation, I am more than happy with mid-table survival.

I honestly think we are ahead of many others in slowly working ourselves back into a sustainable position and then pushing on from there.

And I think it is vital we have a long run with MW at the helm.
Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 15:19 - Sep 9 with 2137 viewsAntti_Heinola

I thought Warbs was a bit defensive there and felt like he was feeling some pressure. But, on the flipside, and he did try to make this point, many, many people had us down as relegation candidates last season. We didn't go down, not even close in reality, we struggled after lockdown (by his own admission) but belatedly recovered to end quite well and finished mid-table, being mostly very entertaining, scoring a load of goals, winning seven away from home, which is not far off unprecedented for this football club. So I can kind of understand him being a bit tetchy about the amount of negativity about him and the team in general. It feels like they're being punished a bit for playing very well in February and measured against that, because for months that was our memory (we'd all forgotten how we forgot how to score for 4 games after Nahki left and how, according to one poster, we probably wouldn't win another game all season).
So I can see why he's a bit defensive. I think criticism of our defence is valid, but it was interesting to hear him talk about his way of countering it, which in the absence of a big strong DM and a big srong CB is to be more attacking and to hurt teams ourselves. It's quite a radical thought, maybe it's wrong, but as much as people say 'if we ship 75 this year we'll go down', he might say, 'if we improve by just 15% at the back, and continue to hurt teams as we did last season, we also might finish 6th'.
Thought Clive's questions were excellent, really pressed him without fear, and while Warbs was defensive, I also think he was honest. Disagree with him if you like, I still don't think there's another manager out there at the moment who we could get and who would want to be our manager who is more suited to the role at this time.

PS - thought he def overreacted to the overdraft gag, which seemed pretty harmless in the circumstances.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2020 15:42]

Bare bones.

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 15:23 - Sep 9 with 2115 viewsTheChef

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 14:42 - Sep 9 by Northolt_Rs

Great interview and write up Clive.
“You saw last season we created a lot of chances but need to be more ruthless because we’re aware there is a weakness in physicality sometimes. Make sure we punish people at the other end.”

This stock response from Warbs is a Real concern.... He should be laser focussed on making sure we don’t concede - THAT is our problem. Concede another 76 goals this season and I fear we will be relegated - especially given the number of goals we’ve now had taken out of the team.

Where's George Graham when you need him??

Seriously though I really don't think he is bothered about defending provided we create and take enough chances to win the game.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 15:34 - Sep 9 with 2081 viewsBAWHoops

Clive consistently saying 'some fans think..' and then trotting out the opinions he has aired in match reports had me giggling.

FWIW I thought it was an open and honest interview. He really does defend his players sometimes too much, the excuse that they make the same mistakes again because they're 'human' was a bit wishy washy. But he's a good bloke trying to do his best for the club

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 15:37 - Sep 9 with 2070 viewsAntti_Heinola

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 15:34 - Sep 9 by BAWHoops

Clive consistently saying 'some fans think..' and then trotting out the opinions he has aired in match reports had me giggling.

FWIW I thought it was an open and honest interview. He really does defend his players sometimes too much, the excuse that they make the same mistakes again because they're 'human' was a bit wishy washy. But he's a good bloke trying to do his best for the club

I think he defends them to that degree, because most of them are so young. He couldn't (and shouldn't) be doing anything else IMO.

Bare bones.

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 15:51 - Sep 9 with 2013 viewsNortholt_Rs

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 15:23 - Sep 9 by TheChef

Where's George Graham when you need him??

Seriously though I really don't think he is bothered about defending provided we create and take enough chances to win the game.

1-0 to the Superhoops!

My worry is without Hugill, Eze, Wells and Hall we are down 40+ goals so conceding at the same rate as last season - 76 goals - is going to see us relegated. This issue has to be addressed. I guess Warbs knows this which is why he was so defensive in that interview (unlike our team!). Our goalscoring last season was fantastic with an unbelievable 7 away wins but his inability to build a defence is well documented throughout his career so the club needs to help him out in this area and quickly.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 16:03 - Sep 9 with 1985 viewsDixie_CT

Wouldn't suprise me if Warburton was a bit of a ruthless mofo in his previous career.

It is a fine line between coming across as matter of fact and knowledgeable to pious and curt.

As for the 'Don't be an arse' response to the fans asking for us to work on defending corners, all very well and good saying they do it, but if we keep conceding then the work they are doing isn't good enough.
It's like saying, I keep crashing my car when I drive but don't worry I'm going to driving school to fix it then going out and crashing your car again. I would advise going to a new driving school.

Oh hang on, I forgot, it isn't because of the defenisve shape or intesity, it's because everyone else is a foot taller than Diddy Park Rangers! Rewind the tapes and watch Clint Hill defend corners, blocking, holding and getting in peoples faces. The lesser spotted dark arts.
Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 16:15 - Sep 9 with 1949 viewsDieByYourSide

As others have said, very forthright and interesting interview. Appreciate the rigour of the questioning and MWs openness in answering but he did sound pretty tetchy. Could well be that he's feeling the pressure over where the goals are gonna come from this year if there's not much improvement at the back.

As much as there's been quite a bit of harping on about what an amazing job he did off the back of that enjoyable WBA game, memories are short...

Poll: And it's hi ho

Login to get fewer ads

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 16:33 - Sep 9 with 1912 viewsed_83

Great interview, Clive. Tough but entirely fair questions, robust but enlightening answers. I actually quite enjoyed the little bit of needle between the two of you!

Thought Warburton sounded pretty spot on in his assessment of our situation, both good and bad. I'm a bit more nervous about this season than I was a year ago, think we'll do well to finish where we did last time, but I'm confident that we're moving in the right direction as a club.
Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 16:59 - Sep 9 with 1847 viewsgolborne

A bit deluded on height, or is he a short arse who talks up other peoples height to make him look taller?
Osman Kakay is 6ft, Luke is 6ft (they're 5ft 9 & 5ft 8)
Rob Dickie 6ft 4.5 inches (6ft according to Wiki, which if true here we go again)
Diedhiou 6 Ft 5 (a bit closer, but he's actually 6 ft 3 and it was a diving header of sorts)

I do like him, but his glass half full comes from his trader days, as does his gambling on the positive outcome. Still better than watching clogg football and he has my backing, especially if dickie works out.
(No subject) (n/t) on 17:04 - Sep 9 with 1839 viewsnix

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 17:11 - Sep 9 with 1798 viewsRussian__Bot

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 14:52 - Sep 9 by Dixie_CT

I heard it as our player didn’t get near to Cairney and one of the reasons is because Cairney is paid more.

Even if it wasn’t that way around, player salaries aren’t always indicative of ability and we know that more that most!!

A really simplistic explanation that doesn’t really hold much weight.

Think you're looking at the wrong way.

Our midfield two against Fulham for both games was Dom Ball (free transfer who couldn't get in the Rotherham team before joining us) and Luke Amos (inexperienced youngster in his first season of competitive football which followed a cruciate injury) versus Tom Cairney (50 odd Prem games 200 odd championship- Fulham rejected a bid of £18m for him couple of years ago- in his prime)

So in the context of the rest of the interview I think it's very clear to see the players he is referring to (Ball and Amos) haven't yet reached a level where someone's going to bid £18m for them or pay them 10X what they are on. So when they have a poor performance against someone who is at that level he is saying it's not in our interest to abuse them, and we need to be a bit more realistic in our expectations, days like that will happen
Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 17:25 - Sep 9 with 1791 viewsLazyFan

WArbs has fooled no one on the height and robustness of our squad. We are still way short, which is why they tried to sign Goode. Dickie looks decent but he's only 6ft+

We need some bruisers in defence. Nasty people like a 6ft 4ins monster who wins headers but is not as easily turned as the BFG. Does not have to be a great passer, just horrible to play against.

zzzzzzzzzz

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 17:35 - Sep 9 with 1765 viewsessextaxiboy

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 15:51 - Sep 9 by Northolt_Rs

1-0 to the Superhoops!

My worry is without Hugill, Eze, Wells and Hall we are down 40+ goals so conceding at the same rate as last season - 76 goals - is going to see us relegated. This issue has to be addressed. I guess Warbs knows this which is why he was so defensive in that interview (unlike our team!). Our goalscoring last season was fantastic with an unbelievable 7 away wins but his inability to build a defence is well documented throughout his career so the club needs to help him out in this area and quickly.

Unless you know how many Dykes , Thomas, Richie an 1 other will score how can you can you make that calculation ?
Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 17:39 - Sep 9 with 1754 viewsessextaxiboy

Great interview Clive ,
I like how he kicks back and defends his players . One in the eye for the full time critics .
Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 18:01 - Sep 9 with 1709 viewsAntti_Heinola

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 17:25 - Sep 9 by LazyFan

WArbs has fooled no one on the height and robustness of our squad. We are still way short, which is why they tried to sign Goode. Dickie looks decent but he's only 6ft+

We need some bruisers in defence. Nasty people like a 6ft 4ins monster who wins headers but is not as easily turned as the BFG. Does not have to be a great passer, just horrible to play against.

I think his point was they don't grow on trees and are not cheap.
Plus, yes, they do need to pass in this team I'm afraid.

Bare bones.

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 18:23 - Sep 9 with 1664 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Well, if he was defensive during the interview he'd be more defensive after reading this thread.

I'll say it now - he won't last the season. Once our fans turn on a manager he's toast. And our fans are turning.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 18:46 - Sep 9 with 1627 viewsB_Wad

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 17:39 - Sep 9 by essextaxiboy

Great interview Clive ,
I like how he kicks back and defends his players . One in the eye for the full time critics .

Thank you for the good read.

This is a lot how I looked at it. Warburton was speaking to his team as much as he was to any of us. It seems he was defending his players and showing them he is on their side. (Do they actually read any of this?). He is not going to say anything negative about the players although the section on not playing those just biding time was interesting. Will be interesting to see who falls in that category and sits.
Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 18:52 - Sep 9 with 1614 viewsessextaxiboy

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 18:23 - Sep 9 by BrianMcCarthy

Well, if he was defensive during the interview he'd be more defensive after reading this thread.

I'll say it now - he won't last the season. Once our fans turn on a manager he's toast. And our fans are turning.

That would be a huge own goal IMO. Why are they turning ? Because we went out of the League Cup ? Because we didnt get going after the restart (despite even conceding goals we still had an eye on the playoffs) What do these people want ?

Who would we replace him with? , We have exhausted every type of manager out there.

IMO we Have a real chance with Warburton
Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 18:59 - Sep 9 with 1600 viewsderbyhoop

Honest and realistic. But a little bit defensive.
Like good managers, he won't call out individuals in public but refers to discussions behind the scenes.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 19:03 - Sep 9 with 1590 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 18:59 - Sep 9 by derbyhoop

Honest and realistic. But a little bit defensive.
Like good managers, he won't call out individuals in public but refers to discussions behind the scenes.

That's how I read it. And having listened to it this afternoon that's how I heard it too.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 19:42 - Sep 9 with 1538 views1JD

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 16:59 - Sep 9 by golborne

A bit deluded on height, or is he a short arse who talks up other peoples height to make him look taller?
Osman Kakay is 6ft, Luke is 6ft (they're 5ft 9 & 5ft 8)
Rob Dickie 6ft 4.5 inches (6ft according to Wiki, which if true here we go again)
Diedhiou 6 Ft 5 (a bit closer, but he's actually 6 ft 3 and it was a diving header of sorts)

I do like him, but his glass half full comes from his trader days, as does his gambling on the positive outcome. Still better than watching clogg football and he has my backing, especially if dickie works out.

So you choose to trust Wikipedia over our manager? Most of these stats are out of date and based on when they were kids. A lot of growth happens from 18+

You are taking as fact that Dickie is 6 foot (Wikipedia says so), rather than Warburton who says he’s 6”4.

You also seemingly didn’t watch the Plymouth game as Rob Dickie was clearly pretty towering.
Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 19:45 - Sep 9 with 1532 viewspaulparker

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 11:44 - Sep 9 by Northernr

I think he explained pretty well that he knows the team has problems and the squad is very light, and given the chance he'd love to bring six, seven, eight players in, but financially we cannot do it.

Interesting point re the finances , in nearly every other interview with someone from the club we are constantly being told that the owners are writing off money every month at their own expense
The question I would be asking is why ? Why would they do it ? It’s not in the hope that we get promoted as the only ambition the club has is to finish 16th , Is the plan at some point to move us to the Linford Christie Stadium but lease it from the council the land alone at Loftus road would be mega money do they plan to recoup a lot of the money they wasted from the sale of that ?

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 20:00 - Sep 9 with 1509 viewsPhildo

Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 18:23 - Sep 9 by BrianMcCarthy

When I looked at the reactions on Saturday I had a similar feeling-hope I was wrong
Warbs talks lockdown form, signings, contracts and defence — Interview on 20:27 - Sep 9 with 1470 viewsDejR_vu

I’m not sure that’s true. I think the majority have been pretty supportive, but that doesn't mean we have to agree with everything he says.

He was pretty bullish in his demeanour in that interview. He didn’t answer the question on why we were so bad after lockdown compared to some others. All clubs had the same issues to contend with. He just listed sime of those issues, he didn’t explain WHY we couldn’t cope.

The questions on the defence seemed pretty reasonable when there’s been no discernible improvement but he was borderline angry in his response.

Citing all of that doesn’t mean he’s losing support.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024