Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan 14:50 - Jan 15 with 26340 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/53914/match-preview-rochdal

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 20:58 - Jan 16 with 2133 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 20:47 - Jan 16 by fitzochris

I certainly am, by Jove.

Are there any other nuggets Jove could provide us with?

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 20:59 - Jan 16 with 2122 viewsfitzochris

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 20:56 - Jan 16 by D_Alien

If we're to be defined by our defence, our season will be the result of a hole

Arf.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 21:00 - Jan 16 with 2119 viewsfitzochris

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 20:58 - Jan 16 by BigDaveMyCock

Are there any other nuggets Jove could provide us with?

Chicken ones if you’re hungry.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 21:07 - Jan 16 with 2057 viewsdingdangblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 20:53 - Jan 16 by fitzochris

And that was very nearly the case.

Realistically we should have lost all 3. 0-3 at ht v Crewe, Bazunu's save at 4-4 on Tuesday and today Wigan missed glaring chances to go 1-3 up and 2-4 up. If O'Connell and McShane are going to be missing for weeks we need to bring in a commanding centre back ASAP.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 21:17 - Jan 16 with 2024 viewsfitzochris

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 21:07 - Jan 16 by dingdangblue

Realistically we should have lost all 3. 0-3 at ht v Crewe, Bazunu's save at 4-4 on Tuesday and today Wigan missed glaring chances to go 1-3 up and 2-4 up. If O'Connell and McShane are going to be missing for weeks we need to bring in a commanding centre back ASAP.

So this is where I’m at. On paper, we should have won today, at least challenged Crewe and lost at Charlton.

We made such a bad fist of dealing with Crewe’s known proficiency that it took Paul McShane screaming in the dressing room at half time to rally us to an unlikely point. In other words, we shot ourselves in the foot and it’s a miracle we got anything.

At Charlton, we did the opposite. We exploded out of the traps on the front foot and absolutely put ourselves in an unexpected but very welcome commanding position. After the break we contrived to squander it. Again, we shot ourselves in the foot.

Today, with Wigan being in the state they are - and being a direct relegation rival - there was a lot of pressure on us getting maximum points (our diabolical home form not withstanding). After a great start, guess what? We shot ourselves in the foot again. You can point to the available personnel and so on, but for me there’s still too much error at the back and a resistance to doing the simple things more directly.

All these games yielded a single point each but, when you look at the volume of goals scored, the yield should be much higher. We are capable of getting into match-winning positions yet can’t convert.

So yes, we do need to invest in the squad, but the manager needs to look at himself too.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 21:28 - Jan 16 with 1994 viewsrich_dale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 20:09 - Jan 16 by EllDale

Perhaps we need to play at least four in midfield to stop teams pouring forward onto our defence?
This injury crisis is exactly that now. There must be serious doubts about McShane playing anything other than cameo roles for the rest of the season. He hasn’t played for weeks due to “issues”, managed 45 minutes against Crewe and was then apparently still suffering from the same niggles.
It was mentioned above that presumably McLaughlin was on the bench today as he was being nursed for selection on Tuesday but was then forced into action after the sending off. If that’s the case then he must be doubtful for Tuesday so we could end up with only one genuine defender in the shape of Roberts available for selection.
BBM needs to be on the phone tomorrow trying to pull a rabbit out of the hat as happened a couple of years ago in the form of Ebanks-Landell.
If we go down, as there is a fair chance at the moment, we’ll wince at the memory of Wimbledon, Bristol Rovers, Crewe and Wigan leaving the COA with points.

We've gone from one extreme to the other - at earlier home games this season the midfield was often congested and we found it difficult to make chances. With the system we're playing now we need a defensive minded central midfielder and the wide attackers to tuck in and make a compact shape when we lose the ball (and to help out our makeshift full backs who are often attacking) and it's not happening, making us look disjointed and disorganised. At times today and v Crewe we were positionally all over the place.

If we can get Ryan fit and sign a vocal centre back to organise the defence it would help but without that we need to adjust the system asap.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 21:34 - Jan 16 with 1963 viewsdingdangblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 21:17 - Jan 16 by fitzochris

So this is where I’m at. On paper, we should have won today, at least challenged Crewe and lost at Charlton.

We made such a bad fist of dealing with Crewe’s known proficiency that it took Paul McShane screaming in the dressing room at half time to rally us to an unlikely point. In other words, we shot ourselves in the foot and it’s a miracle we got anything.

At Charlton, we did the opposite. We exploded out of the traps on the front foot and absolutely put ourselves in an unexpected but very welcome commanding position. After the break we contrived to squander it. Again, we shot ourselves in the foot.

Today, with Wigan being in the state they are - and being a direct relegation rival - there was a lot of pressure on us getting maximum points (our diabolical home form not withstanding). After a great start, guess what? We shot ourselves in the foot again. You can point to the available personnel and so on, but for me there’s still too much error at the back and a resistance to doing the simple things more directly.

All these games yielded a single point each but, when you look at the volume of goals scored, the yield should be much higher. We are capable of getting into match-winning positions yet can’t convert.

So yes, we do need to invest in the squad, but the manager needs to look at himself too.

Is he too nice a guy? I can't ever imagine him losing his temper or yelling at the players. I know football has changed but managers mostly have the ability to be an arsehole at times - BBM isn't that.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 21:38 - Jan 16 with 1946 viewsfitzochris

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 21:34 - Jan 16 by dingdangblue

Is he too nice a guy? I can't ever imagine him losing his temper or yelling at the players. I know football has changed but managers mostly have the ability to be an arsehole at times - BBM isn't that.

I think he is too nice. I think that was demonstrated at half time against Crewe. It’s an admirable trait and the respect he shows everyone at the club is noted too - but, as I said in my recent article, I think you need to be a bit of a tvvat to be a manager. BBM isn’t a tvvat.

Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 21:52 - Jan 16 with 1887 viewsjonahwhereru

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 21:34 - Jan 16 by dingdangblue

Unless he is the Milkman’s BBM must have a hard nosed streak in him. His dad took no prisoners as a player or a coach.
Plus when he appeared on the Podcast he threw plenty of F bombs into the conversation.
Can’t have it that he is just to nice.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 21:57 - Jan 16 with 1864 viewsjudd

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 21:52 - Jan 16 by jonahwhereru

Unless he is the Milkman’s BBM must have a hard nosed streak in him. His dad took no prisoners as a player or a coach.
Plus when he appeared on the Podcast he threw plenty of F bombs into the conversation.

Even the fookin' nuns chuck in fookin' f fookin ' bombs in fookin' Ireland.

I'm not sure BBM needs to be a tvvat, just needs to be capable of taking difficult decisions, like not having a 1st team Sock darner for the 1st time in our history.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 22:05 - Jan 16 with 1848 viewsdingdangblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 21:52 - Jan 16 by jonahwhereru

He is Feckin Irish though!

He is exactly what we needed at the time after Hill being so devisive with the fans. Being a mate to the players and being a nice likeable fella is a lovely trait to have but as Fitz said you need to be a tvvat at times and let the players know who is the boss.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2021 22:19]

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 22:25 - Jan 16 with 1782 viewsDalenet

Just watched BBMs post match snippet - at least he admits we didn't play well. Thank feck for that. He knows that the players can do better and its his job to make that clear. However he did think that we would have enjoyed it had we been there.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 22:27 - Jan 16 with 1778 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 22:05 - Jan 16 by dingdangblue

He is Feckin Irish though!

He is exactly what we needed at the time after Hill being so devisive with the fans. Being a mate to the players and being a nice likeable fella is a lovely trait to have but as Fitz said you need to be a tvvat at times and let the players know who is the boss.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2021 22:19]

Would he be more of a twit with an a, if he thought his job was at risk? Would the players play like they did from the first whistle of every game like they did in the 2nd half of the Crewe game and the first half against Charlton. If they thought the manager that they all seem to like greatly, was facing losing his job.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 22:28 - Jan 16 with 1769 viewsjudd

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 22:25 - Jan 16 by Dalenet

Just watched BBMs post match snippet - at least he admits we didn't play well. Thank feck for that. He knows that the players can do better and its his job to make that clear. However he did think that we would have enjoyed it had we been there.

What I'd have enjoyed was a sense of relief that we got a point, but the reality is that we cannot entertain and win over 90 minutes.

We cannot win at home whatever style we adopt.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 23:58 - Jan 16 with 1633 viewspioneer

Its five seasons since either McShane or Ryan played anything like a full season and four (or 3.5 if you like)in the case of McNulty, although in his case it has not necessarily been injuries that kept him out of the team.

We have to question the recruitment of blokes who have struggled to stay fit over long periods before we signed them.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 00:00 - Jan 17 with 1628 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 17:12 - Jan 16 by James1980

Why do our players look so hesitant to put in a challenge in the book? I would accuse them of faffing had they been passing it around the box in neat little triangles a Wigan player took it off one of them and slide it into the net.

Good "faffing" comes in different guises.....playing statues is one of them.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 11:33 - Jan 17 with 1363 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 21:00 - Jan 16 by fitzochris

Chicken ones if you’re hungry.

I take each game as it comes.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2021 11:37]

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 12:06 - Jan 17 with 1303 viewsfitzochris

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 11:33 - Jan 17 by BigDaveMyCock

I take each game as it comes.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2021 11:37]

That’s fine and entirely up to you. Other people take a view that is, well, more of a whole. That’s fine too.

As I’ve said before, I respect the opinion of anyone who weighs up all the nuggets. Whether I agree with them or them with me doesn’t matter. It’s all about opinions (as long as those opinions are rational).

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 13:01 - Jan 17 with 1205 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 12:06 - Jan 17 by fitzochris

That’s fine and entirely up to you. Other people take a view that is, well, more of a whole. That’s fine too.

As I’ve said before, I respect the opinion of anyone who weighs up all the nuggets. Whether I agree with them or them with me doesn’t matter. It’s all about opinions (as long as those opinions are rational).

It was a play on chicken (game).

It’s not that serious Fitz.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 13:17 - Jan 17 with 1186 viewsfitzochris

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 13:01 - Jan 17 by BigDaveMyCock

It was a play on chicken (game).

It’s not that serious Fitz.

You’re right. It’s not a matter of life and death.

It’s much more important that 😉

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 13:52 - Jan 17 with 1131 viewsncfc_chalky

It looks like Dale are playing some exciting games but it's just a pity that fans aren't allowed to witness it

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 13:59 - Jan 17 with 1112 viewsfitzochris

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 13:52 - Jan 17 by ncfc_chalky

It looks like Dale are playing some exciting games but it's just a pity that fans aren't allowed to witness it

Arguably, more of us are. You’ll never replicate the feeling of being in the stadium, granted, but, thanks to iFollow, more Dale fans than usual got to witness that goalfest at Charlton first hand, for example.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 14:00 - Jan 17 with 1101 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 13:52 - Jan 17 by ncfc_chalky

Some of us might beg to differ chalky. It looks exciting to a neutral* but the atmosphere inside the COA under normal circumstances would be quite febrile, and not in a good way

*we know you're a closet fan, but listening to the post-highlights comments on Quest last night, they seemed to think we're playing open, flowing football rather just having a totally shite defence

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 14:22 - Jan 17 with 1057 viewsfitzochris

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 14:00 - Jan 17 by D_Alien

Some of us might beg to differ chalky. It looks exciting to a neutral* but the atmosphere inside the COA under normal circumstances would be quite febrile, and not in a good way

*we know you're a closet fan, but listening to the post-highlights comments on Quest last night, they seemed to think we're playing open, flowing football rather just having a totally shite defence

Sadly shows such as the one on Quest, as good as they can be, are partly fed by so-called social media bloggers and ‘experts’ who actually haven’t witnessed any of our games first hand.

I had an interesting chat with one such who challenged my point of view as harsh. Fair enough, I thought, but then it transpired he actually hadn’t seen a single Dale game this season. At that point, I switched off from anything he had to say.

Sadly, some people do listen to these people and their point of view becomes accepted logic or, worse, fact.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 14:24 - Jan 17 with 1057 viewsncfc_chalky

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Wigan on 14:00 - Jan 17 by D_Alien

Aye there's no denying that Dales defence needs tightening up but you aren't getting hammered are you,there's been some proper goal fests lately and it's got to be better than getting 0-0 draws and nodding off,it does seem exciting to watch but tbf highlights are all I've seen but I may invest in an ifollow pass the next home game to.see for myself

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024