Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Graeme Souness. 11:03 - Aug 15 with 10530 viewsSnipper

He’s getting absolute pelters in the media, and especially Twàtter for his comments when talking about yesterday’s game between Chelsea & Tottenham.

He was talking about the actual match being ‘a man’s game’ in reference to referee directives to clamp down on feigning injury after legitimate tackles.

In my opinion, the world has gone bloody mad.
Graeme Souness. on 13:10 - Aug 15 with 2389 viewsstanistheman

Graeme Souness. on 11:36 - Aug 15 by francisbowles

Haven't heard or seen his comments but it sounds about right to me.

There is footballl and Womens football. They are two different games, played to the same rules. Womens football is a great game but it watches like a football match from many years ago, that is lots of kick and rush, losing possession but interspersed with great moments of skill.

Now, I'm going to be controversial. Is anyone else slightly peeved that the TV channels now seem to want a woman footballer pundit on virtually every football (mens) show.? I think a pundit should be either a professional journalist or someone who has actually played or coached in professional football. (mens)

I'm fine with a female pundit every now and then, but get a bit peeved too, as they are on every game now. They cannot say the same when showing women's football, although they did include a male towards the end of the Women's Euros.

[Post edited 15 Aug 2022 13:18]
Graeme Souness. on 13:22 - Aug 15 with 2348 viewskernowhoop

We (men and women) are being subjected to a form of manipulation. Not sure who is behind it, or what the aim is and I do not understand. But, we should be alert. Somewhere along the line, it is about power.
Graeme Souness. on 13:23 - Aug 15 with 2345 viewsLythamR

At least the level of interest and response confirms that people dont have anything more important to worry or get angry about

probably nothing to do with souness starting a regular monday spot on talk sport either
Graeme Souness. on 13:27 - Aug 15 with 2317 viewsterryb

I saw Souness on a football pitch far too often to listen to a word he says about our game!

"Chopper" Harris, Norman "bite yer legs" Hunter, Peter storey etc were angels compared to the brutality that Souness handed out.
Graeme Souness. on 13:41 - Aug 15 with 2276 viewsPunteR

It is a man's game .
I would take football from the 80s and 90s over the football we see these days every day of the week.
Look at rugby players. Hard as nails.
Grown men squaring up to each other has always been and will continue to be a thing for the rest of eternity.
Human nature.
Pride, ego, testosterone whatever.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Graeme Souness. on 13:51 - Aug 15 with 2220 viewsSonofpugwash

Graeme Souness. on 13:41 - Aug 15 by PunteR

It is a man's game .
I would take football from the 80s and 90s over the football we see these days every day of the week.
Look at rugby players. Hard as nails.
Grown men squaring up to each other has always been and will continue to be a thing for the rest of eternity.
Human nature.
Pride, ego, testosterone whatever.

Yep.
I'd like to see one of the Wokerati get up from a scything,tendon snapping late tackle from Chopper Harris etc. which collected you,the ball,a St.John's ambulance man,ballboys,several pensioner age coppers, selected advertising hoardings and bounce up as if nothing had happened.Yes,a Man's game all right.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Graeme Souness. on 14:03 - Aug 15 with 2191 viewsR_from_afar

Graeme Souness. on 11:36 - Aug 15 by francisbowles

Haven't heard or seen his comments but it sounds about right to me.

There is footballl and Womens football. They are two different games, played to the same rules. Womens football is a great game but it watches like a football match from many years ago, that is lots of kick and rush, losing possession but interspersed with great moments of skill.

Now, I'm going to be controversial. Is anyone else slightly peeved that the TV channels now seem to want a woman footballer pundit on virtually every football (mens) show.? I think a pundit should be either a professional journalist or someone who has actually played or coached in professional football. (mens)

By your definition, though, a team playing Pulis style land of the giants football is playing a different game to possession focused teams like Barcelona. And Swancelona.

On a more general note:

Surely if more women get involved with football - both playing and punditry - it can only be better for the sport.

The female expert on Sky with Souness yesterday was more qualified to talk about football, whether played by men or women, than most male pundits: Karen Carney played 144 times for England and scored 32 goals. In my view, she also provides very insightful comments.

I reckon the real problem is that football is a really precious sport, stuck in the past, resistant to change and convinced that is a special case amongst sports. Look, I love football, I spend hours and hours watching it and posting gibberish about it but a pattern emerges when you compare it with other sports, e.g. cricket and tennis:

- VAR introduced in football: Furore
- Female pundits commenting on football: Furore.

Right, back into the foxhole, prime the claymores, don the tin hat and call for air cover

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Graeme Souness. on 14:20 - Aug 15 with 2132 viewseasthertsr

Surely the gender of a pundit is much less important than if they're any good or not? Would you rather a game was analysized by Emma Hayes or Michael Owen? Part of football's appeal is that it is a simple game that can be played and appreciated by all, not just men!
Login to get fewer ads

Graeme Souness. on 14:30 - Aug 15 with 2096 viewsted_hendrix

When I was working in Yorkshire and Teeside back in the 80's, I'd often stay In digs in Rotherham, as long as I had my union card on me (needed back then) I could and did go into a Working Mens Club on the Sheffield Road.
I've just looked It up for the craic and Its now had a name change It's now called the Working Man & Woman & Gay & Not Gay & Undecided & A Bit Fragile & Cross Dressing Men (And Women) & All Manner Of Wobbly People Who Don't Mind A Bit Of Bad Language & People Who Are Well Hard And Don't Eat Tofu Club.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Graeme Souness. on 14:31 - Aug 15 with 2071 viewsstainrods_elbow

Graeme Souness. on 11:17 - Aug 15 by Sonofpugwash

Just another attempt by the Wokerati to stir things up.
They'll be having a pop at Joan Of Arc next.

Talking of which - anyone seen this/have any thoughts?

https://news.sky.com/story/non-binary-joan-of-arc-play-causes-a-stir-as-critics-

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Graeme Souness. on 14:32 - Aug 15 with 2067 viewsstainrods_elbow

Graeme Souness. on 13:22 - Aug 15 by kernowhoop

We (men and women) are being subjected to a form of manipulation. Not sure who is behind it, or what the aim is and I do not understand. But, we should be alert. Somewhere along the line, it is about power.

Thanks for the precision and incisiveness! That makes everything a lot clearer.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Graeme Souness. on 14:33 - Aug 15 with 2088 viewsRs_Holy

Graeme Souness. on 13:08 - Aug 15 by nix

I agree it's all about the quality. The women pundits in cricket are excellent. The ones in football are hit and miss but I'm sure it will improve once there are a greater pool to choose from. I follow tennis as well and some of the commentators like Annabel Croft or Sam Smith are hugely better than John Lloyd or Andrew Castle, both in terms of charisma and technical aspects of the commentary, whether they discussing men's or women's tennis. Equally, Peter Fleming or Andrew Cotter are much better than some of the less interesting female pundits and commentators.

I've got no problem with him saying it's a men's game when he's discussing men's football. He's right, isn't he? It would be poor if he said that when watching a woman's match, but he didn't.

Tuchel and Conte are not really helping as role models for the youth football but it's often the youth coaches and ARs that set a really bad example. One of the latter actually squared up to my son for being lippy. Didn't agree with the lippiness either but get a grip man, he's 17 and you're in your fifties!

agree re the cricket! Isa Guha and Ebony Rainford-Brent are brilliant on TMS.
Graeme Souness. on 15:39 - Aug 15 with 1996 viewsstowmarketrange

Graeme Souness. on 14:30 - Aug 15 by ted_hendrix

When I was working in Yorkshire and Teeside back in the 80's, I'd often stay In digs in Rotherham, as long as I had my union card on me (needed back then) I could and did go into a Working Mens Club on the Sheffield Road.
I've just looked It up for the craic and Its now had a name change It's now called the Working Man & Woman & Gay & Not Gay & Undecided & A Bit Fragile & Cross Dressing Men (And Women) & All Manner Of Wobbly People Who Don't Mind A Bit Of Bad Language & People Who Are Well Hard And Don't Eat Tofu Club.

You’d need a big membership card to put all that lot on,unless it was abbreviated.
Graeme Souness. on 15:48 - Aug 15 with 1965 viewsPinnerPaul

Our latest signing actually uses the term "man up" in his interview.

Also a phrase banned by Liverpool FC (along with about 20 others) about 5 years ago now I think.

Side note - officiated on loads of women's games and almost invariably the players will shout "Man on"
Graeme Souness. on 15:51 - Aug 15 with 1948 viewsBoston

Graeme Souness. on 12:18 - Aug 15 by ted_hendrix

Whatever happened to freedom of speech? seems to me nowadays there's a whole heap of people with nothing better to do but complain about what someone has said or done.
All Souness has said is how he's interpreted things, I've no Idea what all the fuss is about if indeed there is any fuss in the first place.

This country will analyse itself to death before long.

Analysis paralysis.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Graeme Souness. on 15:54 - Aug 15 with 1940 viewsBoston

Graeme Souness. on 14:20 - Aug 15 by easthertsr

Surely the gender of a pundit is much less important than if they're any good or not? Would you rather a game was analysized by Emma Hayes or Michael Owen? Part of football's appeal is that it is a simple game that can be played and appreciated by all, not just men!

Surely the question is, do we need a pundit?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Graeme Souness. on 15:56 - Aug 15 with 1945 viewsJigsore

I see everyone is pretending Graeme Souness is not in fact Graeme Souness who has a long storied history of being a c0ck

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Graeme Souness. on 16:24 - Aug 15 with 1887 viewsQPR_John

Graeme Souness. on 14:03 - Aug 15 by R_from_afar

By your definition, though, a team playing Pulis style land of the giants football is playing a different game to possession focused teams like Barcelona. And Swancelona.

On a more general note:

Surely if more women get involved with football - both playing and punditry - it can only be better for the sport.

The female expert on Sky with Souness yesterday was more qualified to talk about football, whether played by men or women, than most male pundits: Karen Carney played 144 times for England and scored 32 goals. In my view, she also provides very insightful comments.

I reckon the real problem is that football is a really precious sport, stuck in the past, resistant to change and convinced that is a special case amongst sports. Look, I love football, I spend hours and hours watching it and posting gibberish about it but a pattern emerges when you compare it with other sports, e.g. cricket and tennis:

Right, back into the foxhole, prime the claymores, don the tin hat and call for air cover

“ VAR introduced in football: Furore ”

Surely the furore is not about introducing VAR into football but the way it has been introduced. I’ll stand to be corrected but every other sport that has introduced video technology has had a relatively smooth transition. It’s only the football authorities that have made a pigs ear out of it
Graeme Souness. on 17:06 - Aug 15 with 1805 viewsDannyPaddox

Foden makes a good Joan of Arc
Graeme Souness. on 17:15 - Aug 15 with 1776 viewsdanehoop

Graeme Souness. on 15:56 - Aug 15 by Jigsore

I see everyone is pretending Graeme Souness is not in fact Graeme Souness who has a long storied history of being a c0ck

This was what I was going to say, but Jigsore did it better.

Never knowingly understood

Graeme Souness. on 17:30 - Aug 15 with 1718 viewsPunteR

Graeme Souness. on 14:30 - Aug 15 by ted_hendrix

Isnt it called Wetherspoons now ?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Graeme Souness. on 18:56 - Aug 15 with 1572 viewsdistortR

Graeme Souness. on 14:03 - Aug 15 by R_from_afar

On a more general note:

women good.
VAR bad.
Graeme Souness. on 19:09 - Aug 15 with 1549 viewsWatfordR

At lunch with my daughter yesterday, thankfully tofu free, the subject of transgender and gender labelling was briefly discussed. I really have no clue what it's all about, and as I come into contact with virtually no one for whom it is an issue, I've decided not to worry about it.

If I say something wrong and someone takes offence, I will simply point out that no offence was intended, and that if I really wish to cause offence, they won't be in any doubt about the fact at all.
Graeme Souness. on 19:48 - Aug 15 with 1483 viewsTonto

I wonder how many people commenting on this actually heard the comment or have seen a transcript? Becuase the way it is being reported is that he said "its a man's game" which does seem OTT to criticise. (Or woke as some like to call it).

But that isn't all he said. I've taken this from the BBC and the entire quote appears to be:

"It's a man's game all of a sudden again, I think we've got our football back, as I would enjoy football - men at it, blow for blow, and the referee letting them get on with it."

Now I accept that saying stuff live you often get a bit clunky with your language its not easy. Just ask James Haskell. But there are some extra connotations in that full quote. It does sound like a dig at the women's game especially when you consider a women's International was sitting next to him.

It could be that Sourness was comparing it to a boys game or something else. Only he fully knows. But his wording was poor and opens itself up to scrutiny.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Graeme Souness. on 19:55 - Aug 15 with 1474 viewsSnipper

Graeme Souness. on 19:48 - Aug 15 by Tonto

I wonder how many people commenting on this actually heard the comment or have seen a transcript? Becuase the way it is being reported is that he said "its a man's game" which does seem OTT to criticise. (Or woke as some like to call it).

But that isn't all he said. I've taken this from the BBC and the entire quote appears to be:

"It's a man's game all of a sudden again, I think we've got our football back, as I would enjoy football - men at it, blow for blow, and the referee letting them get on with it."

Now I accept that saying stuff live you often get a bit clunky with your language its not easy. Just ask James Haskell. But there are some extra connotations in that full quote. It does sound like a dig at the women's game especially when you consider a women's International was sitting next to him.

It could be that Sourness was comparing it to a boys game or something else. Only he fully knows. But his wording was poor and opens itself up to scrutiny.

I see that as a comment about the referees not putting up with simulation, and letting the game flow instead of free kicks for every challenge.

The only person who knows if he was having a dig at woman’s football is Graeme himself.

IMO, he’s got nothing to apologise for, and I hope he doesn’t feel as though he should.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024