Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who Next? 16:49 - Nov 26 with 57055 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Assuming he’s gone, realistic appointment?
[Post edited 26 Nov 2022 16:51]
Who Next? on 15:03 - Dec 1 with 4515 viewsStanisgod

Who Next? on 13:05 - Dec 1 by golborne

Do you want to buy my season ticket?

I ain’t watching that ankle biting, squaddie on speed football

That’s for northern slags, and the way Sheffield utd have played since I had a hole in my arse. It suited them as a club

I’d rather get my diy done, than ship my arse over there every other week to watch that ol’ sh!te

Ditto

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Who Next? on 15:18 - Dec 1 with 4409 viewsMrSheen

Who Next? on 13:31 - Dec 1 by AtThePeake

Afternoon chaps. Rochdale fan here with a bit of insight into BBM.

He played for us for a few years at the end of his career but in reality was more use as a coach for the majority of that time. At the end of the 18/19 season when we were in dire straits, Keith Hill was sacked and BBM came in initially on an interim basis but he turned us into a proper team for the final few months of the season. We were horrible to play against, very compact, very dogged and ground out enough results to keep us up against the odds and he was then given the job on a permanent basis.

His first full season we saw more of what BBM actually wanted to be as a manager and we set out to play very expansive, possession-based football. When it worked, it was glorious and we enjoyed a couple of unbelievably days in the cup, drawing with Newcastle at Spotland in the FA Cup and taking Man Utd to penalties at Old Trafford in the League Cup. There was a team goal scored in a win at Southend that had BBM being referred to as the lower league Pep. Players like Callum Camps and Aaron Morley were flourishing. However, we frankly lacked the quality to play in this way against the majority of the teams in our league and as such, we struggled throughout. We were still very much in a relegation fight when the season ended early but thankfully we were in a strong enough position to stay up on PPG.

So, lockdown season came and Camps left, as did our main striker Ian Henderson and a couple of other key players. This season we were, for the most part, atrocious. BBM was completely inflexible in his way of playing and his interviews turned more and more unlistenable as the season went on. We sat rooted to the bottom of the table but continued to try and win games through a possession-based style of play we weren't good enough to play. We were stuck with a 4-4-1-1 formation that didn't work for so long and defensively we were a shambles at times. Schoolboy stuff. All the while, BBM spoke about "not looking at the league table" and the players being in "great form". We went 19 consecutive home games without a win. Towards the end of the season, he finally switched to three at the back and we went back to basics a little and ended up picking up some results. I think we eventually only went down on goal difference, but the damage had been done through his naivety from October through to March.

The board (having secretly given BBM a contract extension during this woeful run of form, which was eventually revealed months later during a lockdown Fans Forum on YouTube), stuck with BBM but after an AGM, there was huge upheaval on the board and shortly afterwards, BBM offered the new board the chance to pay him out of his contract. The club refused this offer, but BBM quit anyway a few days later and then ended up at City within a month or two.

A lot of people will point to the attractive style of play and his development of young players as real positives and to be honest, they certainly are. There were some great moments in his tenure. However, is naivety, lack of pragmatism and stubbornness in playing the "right way" led to us getting relegated. Although people will rightly point out that we're always likely to struggle at L1 level with our finances, you only have to look at how many players from that squad are playing at a higher level than L2 right now to realise it shouldn't have been relegated.

In his defence, until that relegation season he was generally seen as a very likeable figure among the fans and there's no doubt that the players enjoyed playing for him. We actually had him on our podcast before things started to turn sour, if you do end up hiring him and fancy a listen here's the link: https://open.spotify.com/episode/0gzSBRzfna5NCDxFRdOZi4?si=lKPdwyOGRsOdL1-FRh-no

Rambled for a bit longer than anticipated there, apologies!

So you’re saying he’s a stubborn deluded Cork hoor?
Who Next? on 15:37 - Dec 1 with 4308 viewsswitchingcode

Who Next? on 13:05 - Dec 1 by golborne

Do you want to buy my season ticket?

I ain’t watching that ankle biting, squaddie on speed football

That’s for northern slags, and the way Sheffield utd have played since I had a hole in my arse. It suited them as a club

I’d rather get my diy done, than ship my arse over there every other week to watch that ol’ sh!te

So it’s a no from me,and a no from you.😉
Apart from his time at Boro he has a good CV won many promotions throughout the EFL and on low budgets.
Who Next? on 15:41 - Dec 1 with 4286 viewsBlackCrowe

Great stuff, thanks. FWIW, Dale have always been my 2nd team, bizarrely. It's the old antihero thing - always ended up bottom of old Div 4 and got reelected each time (god knows how). The second result i look out for each Saturday 40+ years on.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Who Next? on 17:10 - Dec 1 with 4011 viewsnumptydumpty

Who Next? on 18:44 - Nov 30 by hubble

Hold the front page: we've found him!!!

Bring Messi, Neymar and Mbappe with you Poch.

Work for free all until end of the season.

Call it "Care in the Community"

Can see this working !!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Who Next? on 17:56 - Dec 1 with 3810 viewseastside_r

Who Next? on 17:10 - Dec 1 by numptydumpty

Bring Messi, Neymar and Mbappe with you Poch.

Work for free all until end of the season.

Call it "Care in the Community"

Can see this working !!

Martinez now available
Who Next? on 19:34 - Dec 1 with 3579 viewsDixie_CT

Wilder is surely an option and will be interviewed?

Career Win rate of 43.5% is pretty impressive. I do remember his interviews after losing being slightly whiny but he knows how to win matches and promotions.

Could be Warnock-esque for us, which would be nice.
Who Next? on 20:07 - Dec 1 with 3473 viewsaston_hoop

Who Next? on 19:34 - Dec 1 by Dixie_CT

Career Win rate of 43.5% is pretty impressive. I do remember his interviews after losing being slightly whiny but he knows how to win matches and promotions.

I'm not convinced Wilder is going to spend too long in any interview when he hears what our transfer budget is for bringing in new strikers...

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Login to get fewer ads

Who Next? on 20:22 - Dec 1 with 3403 viewsDixie_CT

Who Next? on 20:07 - Dec 1 by aston_hoop

I'm not convinced Wilder is going to spend too long in any interview when he hears what our transfer budget is for bringing in new strikers...

What is a striker?
Who Next? on 20:50 - Dec 1 with 3340 viewsdanehoop

Who Next? on 20:22 - Dec 1 by Dixie_CT

What is a striker?

Currently Postal Workers, Railway Workers and Nurses.

Never knowingly understood

Who Next? on 21:20 - Dec 1 with 3238 viewsdigswellhoop

not martinez
Who Next? on 23:28 - Dec 1 with 2925 viewsnumptydumpty

Who Next? on 19:34 - Dec 1 by Dixie_CT

No one wanted Warnock.

That's what we knew.

Think Wilder could be good shout, ie an experienced head.

There are rumours of other academy coaches and assistant managers being quoted.

I think generally with our limited finances an appointment is always a bit of a shot in the dark, who knows !!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Who Next? on 04:13 - Dec 2 with 2718 viewsSydneyRs

Who Next? on 13:31 - Dec 1 by AtThePeake

Afternoon chaps. Rochdale fan here with a bit of insight into BBM.

He played for us for a few years at the end of his career but in reality was more use as a coach for the majority of that time. At the end of the 18/19 season when we were in dire straits, Keith Hill was sacked and BBM came in initially on an interim basis but he turned us into a proper team for the final few months of the season. We were horrible to play against, very compact, very dogged and ground out enough results to keep us up against the odds and he was then given the job on a permanent basis.

His first full season we saw more of what BBM actually wanted to be as a manager and we set out to play very expansive, possession-based football. When it worked, it was glorious and we enjoyed a couple of unbelievably days in the cup, drawing with Newcastle at Spotland in the FA Cup and taking Man Utd to penalties at Old Trafford in the League Cup. There was a team goal scored in a win at Southend that had BBM being referred to as the lower league Pep. Players like Callum Camps and Aaron Morley were flourishing. However, we frankly lacked the quality to play in this way against the majority of the teams in our league and as such, we struggled throughout. We were still very much in a relegation fight when the season ended early but thankfully we were in a strong enough position to stay up on PPG.

So, lockdown season came and Camps left, as did our main striker Ian Henderson and a couple of other key players. This season we were, for the most part, atrocious. BBM was completely inflexible in his way of playing and his interviews turned more and more unlistenable as the season went on. We sat rooted to the bottom of the table but continued to try and win games through a possession-based style of play we weren't good enough to play. We were stuck with a 4-4-1-1 formation that didn't work for so long and defensively we were a shambles at times. Schoolboy stuff. All the while, BBM spoke about "not looking at the league table" and the players being in "great form". We went 19 consecutive home games without a win. Towards the end of the season, he finally switched to three at the back and we went back to basics a little and ended up picking up some results. I think we eventually only went down on goal difference, but the damage had been done through his naivety from October through to March.

The board (having secretly given BBM a contract extension during this woeful run of form, which was eventually revealed months later during a lockdown Fans Forum on YouTube), stuck with BBM but after an AGM, there was huge upheaval on the board and shortly afterwards, BBM offered the new board the chance to pay him out of his contract. The club refused this offer, but BBM quit anyway a few days later and then ended up at City within a month or two.

A lot of people will point to the attractive style of play and his development of young players as real positives and to be honest, they certainly are. There were some great moments in his tenure. However, is naivety, lack of pragmatism and stubbornness in playing the "right way" led to us getting relegated. Although people will rightly point out that we're always likely to struggle at L1 level with our finances, you only have to look at how many players from that squad are playing at a higher level than L2 right now to realise it shouldn't have been relegated.

In his defence, until that relegation season he was generally seen as a very likeable figure among the fans and there's no doubt that the players enjoyed playing for him. We actually had him on our podcast before things started to turn sour, if you do end up hiring him and fancy a listen here's the link: https://open.spotify.com/episode/0gzSBRzfna5NCDxFRdOZi4?si=lKPdwyOGRsOdL1-FRh-no

Rambled for a bit longer than anticipated there, apologies!

Sounds an awful lot like the manager we let go at the end of last season.
Who Next? on 04:39 - Dec 2 with 2689 viewsDixie_CT

Who Next? on 23:28 - Dec 1 by numptydumpty

No one wanted Warnock.

That's what we knew.

Think Wilder could be good shout, ie an experienced head.

There are rumours of other academy coaches and assistant managers being quoted.

I think generally with our limited finances an appointment is always a bit of a shot in the dark, who knows !!!

Beale was on £15k per week, so that should be enough to pay for Critchey, BBM, Robins, and possibly Wilder (although he could have been on more at Sheff U in the Prem and possibly Boro).

Yeah no money for transfers is a bit unappealing but you would have to be blind to not see the potential and impact of Chair and Willock. Plus surely some budget will be freed up in January with Bonne finally being shown the day (who scouted and signed him).
Who Next? on 04:55 - Dec 2 with 2681 viewszizoustainrod

Who Next? on 14:19 - Nov 30 by stainrods_elbow

See my post on the interview process on another thread. The club certainly made an almighty balls-up of it.

What utter sh*t you talk. We are all upset and hurt by Beale's actions, it's just that some of us can manage their emotions with a little more maturity than others. I'm sure the club negotiated with him in good faith and feel just as let down by his lack of integrity as the rest of us. I'm not sure what sort of interview screening process would have highlighted his dishonesty. It is the bane of job interviews in any profession.
I am actually excited about who might be the next appointment and what they might do in the remainder of the season with the resources they have at their disposal. I also trust the club to carry out the process with the same professionalism and commitment to the best interests of QPR that they have regarding other big decisions in recent years.
Who Next? on 08:06 - Dec 2 with 2494 viewsNorthantsHoop

If the Board need longer to decide on the right longer term appointment they should go for an interim manager until the end of the season. Most businesses do this, you may pay a higher premium but we need short term stability and experience at the moment. I would go for Chris Wilder, see if he is interested, was unlucky with Boro last season got them playing well, probably best team I saw other than Sheff Utd at LR last season. But if the Board have a long term appointment ready to go then happy with that.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2022 8:07]
Who Next? on 08:13 - Dec 2 with 2477 viewsNorthernr

The FFP situation will dictate a lot of this.

Two things any manager is going to want to know is how much am I getting paid and how much is there to spend on players - because they know they have a tiny shelf life. At QPR I don't know what the first answer is but the second one is now literally less than nothing, we have a shortfall that will need to be made up by selling players either in january or next summer. That immediately counts out a lot of candidates.
Who Next? on 09:10 - Dec 2 with 2307 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Who Next? on 08:13 - Dec 2 by Northernr

Two things any manager is going to want to know is how much am I getting paid and how much is there to spend on players - because they know they have a tiny shelf life. At QPR I don't know what the first answer is but the second one is now literally less than nothing, we have a shortfall that will need to be made up by selling players either in january or next summer. That immediately counts out a lot of candidates.

I think we need to get RollerCoasters view of the FFP situation Clive. I am not sure it is as bad as that.
Who Next? on 09:20 - Dec 2 with 2276 viewsAtThePeake

Who Next? on 15:41 - Dec 1 by BlackCrowe

Great stuff, thanks. FWIW, Dale have always been my 2nd team, bizarrely. It's the old antihero thing - always ended up bottom of old Div 4 and got reelected each time (god knows how). The second result i look out for each Saturday 40+ years on.

Our chairman of the time Fred Ratcliffe knew how to keep the other voting chairmen on side, it's just a shame his hospitality usually extended to gifting the visiting team three points as well!

Tangled up in blue.

Who Next? on 09:21 - Dec 2 with 2272 viewsNorthernr

Who Next? on 09:10 - Dec 2 by CroydonCaptJack

I think we need to get RollerCoasters view of the FFP situation Clive. I am not sure it is as bad as that.

Is this going to turn into another "you don't know he talked to Wolves" thing?
Who Next? on 09:47 - Dec 2 with 2177 viewsdaveB

Who Next? on 08:13 - Dec 2 by Northernr

One positive is that will count out the candidates probably not suited to the job, we need someone who is going to see selling Willock, Chair maybe Dickie as an opportunity to rebuild rather than come in and say I'm not taking the job if you sell Willock.
Who Next? on 09:55 - Dec 2 with 2147 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Who Next? on 09:47 - Dec 2 by daveB

One positive is that will count out the candidates probably not suited to the job, we need someone who is going to see selling Willock, Chair maybe Dickie as an opportunity to rebuild rather than come in and say I'm not taking the job if you sell Willock.

Very true.

While I completely believe Clive's take on our FFP situation, I think it's also fair to say that we're not the only club affected and that most managers will only get jobs at clubs that have to sell before they can buy.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Who Next? on 10:05 - Dec 2 with 2092 viewsWelsh_Ranger

I'm suprised that the current Bolton manager/coach hasn't been mentioned more.
Who Next? on 10:41 - Dec 2 with 1963 viewsdanehoop

Who Next? on 10:05 - Dec 2 by Welsh_Ranger

I think he was early on and I think Evatt would be excellent given the job he has done there. You'd have to question whether staying and getting promoted with Bolton isn't a better option for him at this point. He is settled there, knows the squad has good facilities and is getting results. Coming to us after Septic Boil with no money, new squad and only partially developed facilities isn't going to be easy.

Never knowingly understood

Who Next? on 11:07 - Dec 2 with 1856 viewsArcticHoop

Who Next? on 10:05 - Dec 2 by Welsh_Ranger

I suggest him earlier here or another QPR forum,dont remember which one.

He has done good job as a manager. First promoted Barrow to the League 2 and now Bolton doing great at league above.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024