Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Linford Christie Stadium 19:01 - Dec 13 with 18440 viewsDixie_CT

The future of Linford Christie Stadium, our last chance to stay in Hammersmith and Fulham, is being discussed tomorrow night.

http://democracy.lbhf.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=467&MId=7289&Ver=4

The proposal put forward as a plan is very amateurish and lacks quality.

http://democracy.lbhf.gov.uk/documents/s122549/Appendix%202%20-%20Linford%20Chri

We have little chance of getting permission for this site, or any other local site for that matter (although other options are very limited) and a new stadium is a pivotal factor in the future identity of our club. Without a long term place in the Premier League, our income is hamstrung, especially by Loftus Road.

This issue for me throws up some bigger questions. I personally think the owners should put it to the fans in regards to what we want for QPR because standing still financially sees us yo-yoing between the Championship and League One, not the other way. If that isn’t for them, then they should pass the baton onto a new Board (better the devil you know!)

Whatever your thoughts are on the Board, Lee, Les, Jude the Cat etc, you can’t deny that we have already been left behind by our local neighbours, Brentford & Fulham. Being the fourth team in West London might be a position we occupy for the foreseeable future and that isn’t something that sits comfortably with me.
Linford Christie Stadium on 08:18 - Dec 14 with 2133 viewsEastR

Linford Christie Stadium on 20:05 - Dec 13 by colinallcars

In 1975 I applied to Hammersmith council for a grant of £5000 to start up a rock band using all local musicians.
To everyone's absolute astonishment, they said no.

Col and the Gang?

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Linford Christie Stadium on 08:24 - Dec 14 with 2114 viewsdmm

Linford Christie Stadium on 22:27 - Dec 13 by LowerloftLad

If the Jack tazard school was to ever move to a bigger premises and QPR required that land is there a possibility of expansion towards to loft ?.

Can't see us ever moving stadiums to be honest and that's the only way I could see QPR having any extra land.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2022 22:28]

I just took a closer look at the school's footprint to see if an extension might work. I'd never noticed before that the houses in Imre Court take up a significant amount of space at that end which would surely make an extension impossible.

You can clearly see this on Google maps satellite view. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Loftus+Road+Stadium/@51.5091396,-0.2340487,199
Linford Christie Stadium on 08:54 - Dec 14 with 2004 viewstoboboly

From a selfish point of view I would have to give up my ST if we moved out to Uxbridge, it would be a 2 hour odd journey each way then which I wouldn't/couldn't do, especially week nights.

I know a lot of our ST's no longer live locally and when I used to live in Kingston I would see a number of regulars heading to Clapham and beyond. I doubt they would all be able to get that far out North West as well.

Now I am in North London and there are a few that I regularly see out here, the club needs to find somewhere local to LR if they are going to move. And it seems like the board have royally fcked that up and burnt all their bridges.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Linford Christie Stadium on 09:03 - Dec 14 with 1981 viewsdutch

If we move to Hounslow or Hillingdon or some other God forsaken place I could not locate on a map, it's over for me. My heart belongs to the Bush, to our history, to my forebears and my father, to a London club which represents that area and all its trials and joys. We are not a suburban team, we should not be forced out to the boondocks or we will loose all our identity and loose long term fans like me. Sorry I would stand by a rope in Paddington Rec to watch the Rangers but will not sit in some soulless stadium near Reading.
Linford Christie Stadium on 09:09 - Dec 14 with 1958 viewsDixie_CT

Who knows what the Board want because they haven’t come out and said anything on a new stadium in ages, at the same time no one is really asking them the question.

If the Board don’t want to say anything then someone should be asking Lee Hoos what the plan is.

Not sure why there isn’t more conversation about this issue when it is a topic we should be taking a keen interest in.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2022 9:10]
Linford Christie Stadium on 09:09 - Dec 14 with 1956 viewsEsox_Lucius

In the Beard & TF regime didn't they buy 100 acres around Old Oak for £102m and did a tie in with Genesis housing for development? What ever happened to that?

The grass is always greener.

Linford Christie Stadium on 09:09 - Dec 14 with 1956 viewsslmrstid

I think we should relocate the club to Leicester purely for my benefit.

Looking at a map of London, it feels impossible to see how we could have a bigger stadium but stay as central as the club currently is - space is at a premium and the space there is just gets hoovered up by every property developer going with much deeper pockets than us who can make much more money out of a site than a football club ever will.

No sports development ever happens without significant local authority support, and its quite obvious our local council just aren't interested in QPR. Feels like in our current state we're more likely to be like Leyton Orient in 10 years time than we are Crystal Palace.

Bit depressing really.
Linford Christie Stadium on 09:14 - Dec 14 with 1942 viewsDixie_CT

Linford Christie Stadium on 09:09 - Dec 14 by Esox_Lucius

In the Beard & TF regime didn't they buy 100 acres around Old Oak for £102m and did a tie in with Genesis housing for development? What ever happened to that?

QPR are social landlords:

https://www.oaklandsrise.co.uk/

I think we also own a few bits of land in the Old Oak area.
Login to get fewer ads

Linford Christie Stadium on 09:17 - Dec 14 with 1928 viewsdmm

I'm another who'd have to give up my ST if we moved out to Metroland. I'm already on a 1.5 hour journey each way from the edge of SE London.

After so many years of looking at many ideas, the stadium issue seems an almost insolvable problem. The one ace in our hand is that we own our stadium. Whatever happens, we must always keep it that way.
Linford Christie Stadium on 09:18 - Dec 14 with 1927 viewsdutch

I'm not convinced we need a new site. Brentford's shiny new place holds about the same as LR, which is plenty to sustain a Prem team, where most of the revenue comes from TV. Loftus Road could be redeveloped to maybe 20,000, underground car parking etc, multiple usage by a clever architect and I've spoken to a couple about this. It would mean we would remain in a part of town which is becoming more and more desirable and valuable, look at what is happening around us. To give that up to move to somewhere near Hillingdon would be like when my family swapped a house in Notting Hill for a council flat in Burnt Oak.
Linford Christie Stadium on 09:23 - Dec 14 with 1911 viewsdmm

Linford Christie Stadium on 09:18 - Dec 14 by dutch

I'm not convinced we need a new site. Brentford's shiny new place holds about the same as LR, which is plenty to sustain a Prem team, where most of the revenue comes from TV. Loftus Road could be redeveloped to maybe 20,000, underground car parking etc, multiple usage by a clever architect and I've spoken to a couple about this. It would mean we would remain in a part of town which is becoming more and more desirable and valuable, look at what is happening around us. To give that up to move to somewhere near Hillingdon would be like when my family swapped a house in Notting Hill for a council flat in Burnt Oak.

Me too, dutch. My family gave up a fabulous house in Kensal Rise and moved to a boring 2 up 2 down semi in the god forsaken suburban desert of Kenton.
Linford Christie Stadium on 09:25 - Dec 14 with 1900 viewsDWQPR

If they got the Jack Izzard school land then that could provide the club with facilities that would allow non-match day income which they continue to talk about, which although wouldn’t be physically attached to the stadium would be right next door. A full redevelopment of LR would mean trying to purchase the properties in Imre Court. Not an easy option unless you offer well above the market value.

A piece of land that has been mooted before is in Greenford, the Butlers Warehouse site. It’s a very old facility and with warehousing development continuing up Rockware Avenue it could be eventually surplus to requirements. That part of Greenford is undergoing major redevelopment with the creation of Greenford Quay and Lock. It’s only a 10 train journey from White City. Not ideal as a location but unfortunately unless you had a ground that back in the day by sheer fluke had a large footprint to redevelop for the modern day needs of football clubs then there is little options available. Otherwise, whether Cargiant are likely to reconsider there position as they were full on to sell for housing to maximise profits which has since been denied.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2022 13:33]

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Linford Christie Stadium on 09:29 - Dec 14 with 1879 viewsDixie_CT

A difference is that Brentford have made significant profits in the transfer market and are in the PL, making them financial sustainable for the foreseeable future.

One of the main reasons we were looking at a new stadium was to increase the low non-matchday revenue e.g. conferences, concerts etc. We are never going to bring in much income using Loftus Road for these types of events due to the limitations and constraints of the site.

Reality is that if you levelled Loftus Road today chances are you wouldn’t get planning permission to rebuild a stadium at all. If you did it would be much smaller and that would impact the potential for non-matchday revenue.
Linford Christie Stadium on 09:37 - Dec 14 with 1843 viewsDixie_CT

Linford Christie Stadium on 09:25 - Dec 14 by DWQPR

If they got the Jack Izzard school land then that could provide the club with facilities that would allow non-match day income which they continue to talk about, which although wouldn’t be physically attached to the stadium would be right next door. A full redevelopment of LR would mean trying to purchase the properties in Imre Court. Not an easy option unless you offer well above the market value.

A piece of land that has been mooted before is in Greenford, the Butlers Warehouse site. It’s a very old facility and with warehousing development continuing up Rockware Avenue it could be eventually surplus to requirements. That part of Greenford is undergoing major redevelopment with the creation of Greenford Quay and Lock. It’s only a 10 train journey from White City. Not ideal as a location but unfortunately unless you had a ground that back in the day by sheer fluke had a large footprint to redevelop for the modern day needs of football clubs then there is little options available. Otherwise, whether Cargiant are likely to reconsider there position as they were full on to sell for housing to maximise profits which has since been denied.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2022 13:33]

Car Giant hey? The second hand car dealership that presented a master plan to become a property developer. It’s like a local plumber putting in a tender to rewire Las Vegas. All they were doing was driving up the price for their land as they never had any intention of building homes.

Not sure what the current state of play is but a quick search returns these:

https://www.harrowtimes.co.uk/news/18105314.old-oak-common-leaders-abandon-plans

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-50785151.amp

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/planning-report-backs-white-city-car-dealership-c

Maybe we should re-open conversations with the OPDC and/or Car Giant?
[Post edited 14 Dec 2022 9:39]
Linford Christie Stadium on 09:54 - Dec 14 with 1781 viewsSonofpugwash

Linford Christie Stadium on 09:37 - Dec 14 by Dixie_CT

Car Giant hey? The second hand car dealership that presented a master plan to become a property developer. It’s like a local plumber putting in a tender to rewire Las Vegas. All they were doing was driving up the price for their land as they never had any intention of building homes.

Not sure what the current state of play is but a quick search returns these:

https://www.harrowtimes.co.uk/news/18105314.old-oak-common-leaders-abandon-plans

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-50785151.amp

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/planning-report-backs-white-city-car-dealership-c

Maybe we should re-open conversations with the OPDC and/or Car Giant?
[Post edited 14 Dec 2022 9:39]

With the apparent move to make London a pedestrian/cycling paradise will Car Giant become an anachronism?Time to put in a cheeky bid?
"Nah mate,I'll do you a favour and take it orf yer 'ands ... cash...'old aht yer Germans!"

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Linford Christie Stadium on 10:05 - Dec 14 with 1734 viewsdutch

Linford Christie Stadium on 09:29 - Dec 14 by Dixie_CT

A difference is that Brentford have made significant profits in the transfer market and are in the PL, making them financial sustainable for the foreseeable future.

One of the main reasons we were looking at a new stadium was to increase the low non-matchday revenue e.g. conferences, concerts etc. We are never going to bring in much income using Loftus Road for these types of events due to the limitations and constraints of the site.

Reality is that if you levelled Loftus Road today chances are you wouldn’t get planning permission to rebuild a stadium at all. If you did it would be much smaller and that would impact the potential for non-matchday revenue.

There is no ground better situated for other purposes/revenues that LR. Five tube stations within short walking distance at a time when car use is increasingly impossible. It is perfect for all of that, near the west end, and now surrounded by trendy flats, Soho House etc. As currently configured and in its current state it is an anachronism, but I come back to the house my family left because they were told it was unfit for human habitation. It recently sold for over three million quid. Lofts Road is an asset, it just needs the imagination to realise that.
Linford Christie Stadium on 10:14 - Dec 14 with 1702 viewsswitchingcode

Was going to post similar our shiny new stadium brings in a massive increase of match day revenue than the old Griffin Park but it is still a very small percentage of the TV money.unless you are one of the so called big clubs that can actually fill their stadiums the desire by same fans to build massive stadiums is pure vanity a big stadium doesn’t make you a big club necessarily.
Brentford’s stadium took 10 years to plan and build which is a long time in football and a lot can happen over that period.I’m more than happy with 17500 capacity stadium that has no possibility of being increased as we will eventually go back to the championship rather than become a top 6 team playing regularly in Europe.
Linford Christie Stadium on 10:21 - Dec 14 with 1677 viewsfrancisbowles

Linford Christie Stadium on 10:14 - Dec 14 by switchingcode

Was going to post similar our shiny new stadium brings in a massive increase of match day revenue than the old Griffin Park but it is still a very small percentage of the TV money.unless you are one of the so called big clubs that can actually fill their stadiums the desire by same fans to build massive stadiums is pure vanity a big stadium doesn’t make you a big club necessarily.
Brentford’s stadium took 10 years to plan and build which is a long time in football and a lot can happen over that period.I’m more than happy with 17500 capacity stadium that has no possibility of being increased as we will eventually go back to the championship rather than become a top 6 team playing regularly in Europe.

SC how sustainable is that model in the longer term, if you were back in the Championship and after the parachute payments have run out?
Linford Christie Stadium on 10:24 - Dec 14 with 1666 viewsSonofpugwash

It can be done,Monaco FC for example has a capacity of 18,000.
The temptation to sell LR for development must be enormous,tens of millions potentially recouped.London has lost many non league grounds to the bulldozer and wrecking ball and it's a wonder that some of them still survive.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2022 10:25]

Linford Christie Stadium on 10:40 - Dec 14 with 1581 viewsDixie_CT

Linford Christie Stadium on 10:05 - Dec 14 by dutch

There is no ground better situated for other purposes/revenues that LR. Five tube stations within short walking distance at a time when car use is increasingly impossible. It is perfect for all of that, near the west end, and now surrounded by trendy flats, Soho House etc. As currently configured and in its current state it is an anachronism, but I come back to the house my family left because they were told it was unfit for human habitation. It recently sold for over three million quid. Lofts Road is an asset, it just needs the imagination to realise that.

Arsenal make bundles from hosting conferences at the Emirates and Spurs must make a bucketload from NFL/Boxing.

We will never be looking at these levels of income, either at a new 20,000 seater stadium or Loftus Road, but our current commercial activities are incredibly limited due to the available and functional space at LR.

A couple of years ago we brought in £10k throughout the whole year for non-matchday revenue. That amount wouldn’t even buy you a week of Stef Johansen to whistle Norwegian Death Metal whilst sitting astride the Physio’s medical table.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2022 10:59]
Linford Christie Stadium on 10:54 - Dec 14 with 1511 viewsHayesender

I stand to be corrected, but the last two non-matchday events I can recall (non charitable), are Barry McGuigan and some nutty American evangelist, both in the mid 80's

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Linford Christie Stadium on 10:57 - Dec 14 with 1498 viewsDixie_CT

Linford Christie Stadium on 10:54 - Dec 14 by Hayesender

I stand to be corrected, but the last two non-matchday events I can recall (non charitable), are Barry McGuigan and some nutty American evangelist, both in the mid 80's

I suppose this event could be included if the criteria is non-QPR matchday revenue:

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/qpr-to-host-saudi-super-cup/

Aside from our home games, we have hosted quite a few football related events but hardly anything non-football related.
Linford Christie Stadium on 11:09 - Dec 14 with 1462 viewsCamberleyR

Linford Christie Stadium on 09:29 - Dec 14 by Dixie_CT

Yes, said it for ages, if the plot where we are now didn't have a football ground on it and became available and planning permission to build a stadium was granted, chances are it would probably with modern building regs and H&S standards be allowed to be no bigger than Rotherham's new ground i.e. about 12k capacity.

If the Tizard school land did become available, as said above the houses in Imre Close would pose a problem. There's 12 directly behind the School End stand that abutt the SBS. Looking at them on Street View I'm guessing they're privately owned?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Linford Christie Stadium on 11:13 - Dec 14 with 1453 viewsSonofpugwash

Linford Christie Stadium on 10:54 - Dec 14 by Hayesender

Linford Christie Stadium on 11:18 - Dec 14 with 1436 viewscaptainmycaptian

Moving to a fancy new ground does not guarantee promotion. Throwing money at a club does not guarantee promotion. Building a continuous improvement attitude and values does. I think you fail to see that a new ground could ruin the club. It has to be done on the foundations of a decent footballing ethic. That's what changed Brentford and to some extent Fulham. Yes agreed the present ground needs to be used more to bring in funds but that is certainly achievable. There must be options to make the place work off season. ? Either way moving is not worth it with out the green shoots of a decent core of a club. This comes through quality product ( entertainment and results) this positively mpacts attendance tv payments merch sales ect its building blocks to a new ground not a new ground built on sand.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024