Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Linford Christie Stadium 19:01 - Dec 13 with 19121 viewsDixie_CT

The future of Linford Christie Stadium, our last chance to stay in Hammersmith and Fulham, is being discussed tomorrow night.

http://democracy.lbhf.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=467&MId=7289&Ver=4

The proposal put forward as a plan is very amateurish and lacks quality.

http://democracy.lbhf.gov.uk/documents/s122549/Appendix%202%20-%20Linford%20Chri

We have little chance of getting permission for this site, or any other local site for that matter (although other options are very limited) and a new stadium is a pivotal factor in the future identity of our club. Without a long term place in the Premier League, our income is hamstrung, especially by Loftus Road.

This issue for me throws up some bigger questions. I personally think the owners should put it to the fans in regards to what we want for QPR because standing still financially sees us yo-yoing between the Championship and League One, not the other way. If that isn’t for them, then they should pass the baton onto a new Board (better the devil you know!)

Whatever your thoughts are on the Board, Lee, Les, Jude the Cat etc, you can’t deny that we have already been left behind by our local neighbours, Brentford & Fulham. Being the fourth team in West London might be a position we occupy for the foreseeable future and that isn’t something that sits comfortably with me.
Linford Christie Stadium on 11:20 - Dec 14 with 2011 viewsslmrstid

Linford Christie Stadium on 10:57 - Dec 14 by Dixie_CT

I suppose this event could be included if the criteria is non-QPR matchday revenue:

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/qpr-to-host-saudi-super-cup/

Aside from our home games, we have hosted quite a few football related events but hardly anything non-football related.

To be honest I'm not convinced Loftus Road, regardless of facilities/location (or lack of), is actually all that desirable for non-football commercial events.

A city like London you have got, literally, thousands of places to host commercial events, many of which are in much nicer venues/locations. Sure LR is close to a lot of tube stations, but so are lots of other places, and lets be honest much as we love it the walk down South Africa Road on a non-matchday is a bit grotty.

I just don't see it working like it does in places like Burnley / Leicester (to use Lee Hoos' previous workplaces...) where the local sports ground is one of the standout places to host your event - those places aren't exactly plush with a multitude of smart conference centres.

I was at Leicester Tigers last month for an awards evening for our amateur road running league - it was lovely (and bloody expensive to hire). But in Leicester the Tigers and City grounds are probably the best places to have an event like that close to the city centre. The National Space Centre gives you something a bit quirky also but is further out.

In London it most definitely is not Loftus Road. It probably wouldn't even feature in a top 100 list of places to host an event.

I just don't really see it working at Loftus Road, or any other London non-Premier League stadium like it does in other cities/towns around the country for non-matchday football ground use.
Linford Christie Stadium on 11:25 - Dec 14 with 1992 viewscaptainmycaptian

This
Linford Christie Stadium on 11:33 - Dec 14 with 1953 viewsJuzzie

Linford Christie Stadium on 09:18 - Dec 14 by dutch

I'm not convinced we need a new site. Brentford's shiny new place holds about the same as LR, which is plenty to sustain a Prem team, where most of the revenue comes from TV. Loftus Road could be redeveloped to maybe 20,000, underground car parking etc, multiple usage by a clever architect and I've spoken to a couple about this. It would mean we would remain in a part of town which is becoming more and more desirable and valuable, look at what is happening around us. To give that up to move to somewhere near Hillingdon would be like when my family swapped a house in Notting Hill for a council flat in Burnt Oak.

Loftus Road cannot be redeveloped to anything like 20k. 15k if we're lucky.
With regulations about seating and sight-lines and everything else that is required, the footprint to do 20k or more is bigger than we have now. Underground car park? What's under LR already? Loads of pipes and cables etc probably .... would need a massive re-routing of god knows what then you have to have vehicle entrance and exit points that all take up space.
And before anyone says it, no, we cannot simply buy and knock down Ellerslie Road house or anywhere else around the ground!
Linford Christie Stadium on 11:35 - Dec 14 with 1942 viewsfrancisbowles

Linford Christie Stadium on 11:20 - Dec 14 by slmrstid

To be honest I'm not convinced Loftus Road, regardless of facilities/location (or lack of), is actually all that desirable for non-football commercial events.

A city like London you have got, literally, thousands of places to host commercial events, many of which are in much nicer venues/locations. Sure LR is close to a lot of tube stations, but so are lots of other places, and lets be honest much as we love it the walk down South Africa Road on a non-matchday is a bit grotty.

I just don't see it working like it does in places like Burnley / Leicester (to use Lee Hoos' previous workplaces...) where the local sports ground is one of the standout places to host your event - those places aren't exactly plush with a multitude of smart conference centres.

I was at Leicester Tigers last month for an awards evening for our amateur road running league - it was lovely (and bloody expensive to hire). But in Leicester the Tigers and City grounds are probably the best places to have an event like that close to the city centre. The National Space Centre gives you something a bit quirky also but is further out.

In London it most definitely is not Loftus Road. It probably wouldn't even feature in a top 100 list of places to host an event.

I just don't really see it working at Loftus Road, or any other London non-Premier League stadium like it does in other cities/towns around the country for non-matchday football ground use.

Whilst I agree with you it leads me to think we are truly screwed!

No one seems to have any money to buy any of our players, Willock, reportedly, wants to run down his contract, we are -£10 million on the P&S (FFP) target, no chance of extra income from Loftus Road in any shape, H&F council playing hardball over Linford Christie and don't want us to own it anyway, Old Oak Common seemingly dead for us.

We had better hope NC can lead us to the promised land and get some finance into this club, so that we can sustain it for a bit longer.
Linford Christie Stadium on 11:37 - Dec 14 with 1929 viewsfrancisbowles

Linford Christie Stadium on 11:33 - Dec 14 by Juzzie

Loftus Road cannot be redeveloped to anything like 20k. 15k if we're lucky.
With regulations about seating and sight-lines and everything else that is required, the footprint to do 20k or more is bigger than we have now. Underground car park? What's under LR already? Loads of pipes and cables etc probably .... would need a massive re-routing of god knows what then you have to have vehicle entrance and exit points that all take up space.
And before anyone says it, no, we cannot simply buy and knock down Ellerslie Road house or anywhere else around the ground!

Isn't there an old river that now runs underground?
Linford Christie Stadium on 11:39 - Dec 14 with 1915 viewsdmm

Linford Christie Stadium on 11:35 - Dec 14 by francisbowles

Whilst I agree with you it leads me to think we are truly screwed!

No one seems to have any money to buy any of our players, Willock, reportedly, wants to run down his contract, we are -£10 million on the P&S (FFP) target, no chance of extra income from Loftus Road in any shape, H&F council playing hardball over Linford Christie and don't want us to own it anyway, Old Oak Common seemingly dead for us.

We had better hope NC can lead us to the promised land and get some finance into this club, so that we can sustain it for a bit longer.

Where do you get your -£10m on FFP? That's worse than I thought.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2022 12:00]
Linford Christie Stadium on 11:42 - Dec 14 with 1908 viewscolinallcars

Linford Christie Stadium on 11:37 - Dec 14 by francisbowles

Yes, it used to run under North Pole road near the Pavilion pub and into the Thames at Hammersmith next to Hammersmith Creek. Looks like we're up the creek too.
Linford Christie Stadium on 11:49 - Dec 14 with 1890 viewsJuzzie

Linford Christie Stadium on 11:37 - Dec 14 by francisbowles

Unrelated fact but if anyone goes to Sloane Square tube station they'll probably see this. Looks like an innocuous walkway but it's actually a re-routed river (Westbourne river)

Login to get fewer ads

Linford Christie Stadium on 11:53 - Dec 14 with 1869 viewsJuzzie

Linford Christie Stadium on 10:24 - Dec 14 by Sonofpugwash

It can be done,Monaco FC for example has a capacity of 18,000.
The temptation to sell LR for development must be enormous,tens of millions potentially recouped.London has lost many non league grounds to the bulldozer and wrecking ball and it's a wonder that some of them still survive.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2022 10:25]

Stade Louis II holds 16,500. I'm sure I read somewhere years ago that the pitch is at least one level above the ground floor as parking is on the ground floor. This then makes the pitch hard as the turf is laid onto concrete rather than be on natural ground.
Linford Christie Stadium on 11:56 - Dec 14 with 1849 viewsDixie_CT

Linford Christie Stadium on 11:42 - Dec 14 by colinallcars

Yes, it used to run under North Pole road near the Pavilion pub and into the Thames at Hammersmith next to Hammersmith Creek. Looks like we're up the creek too.

Is this Stamford Brook?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stamford_Brook
Linford Christie Stadium on 11:58 - Dec 14 with 1837 viewsDixie_CT

Linford Christie Stadium on 11:20 - Dec 14 by slmrstid

South Africa Road will look very different in the near future

https://www.edcity.org.uk/

White City Estate is also about to go through a redevelopment process in the central area

https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/housing/building-homes-and-communities/white-city-centra
Linford Christie Stadium on 12:06 - Dec 14 with 1817 viewstoboboly

For my wedding, a few years ago, I jokingly told the Mrs we could do it at LR. I presumed you could get one of the nice suites/corporate areas but the only option was the Blue & White Bar.

As SLM says above, why would anyone without an affiliation to QPR want to hold an event there even if the facilities were better?

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Linford Christie Stadium on 12:07 - Dec 14 with 1808 viewsswitchingcode

Linford Christie Stadium on 10:21 - Dec 14 by francisbowles

SC how sustainable is that model in the longer term, if you were back in the Championship and after the parachute payments have run out?

Debatable as if and it’s a big if we could continue our very effective transfer policy from our championship time then yes.But if / when we go back there we would have to drastically cut our wage bill which would mean moving on many of our players.Our stadium IF full every week would still only bring in around 15 million per season the average wage bill in championship is around 30 million so do the maths.I was hoping we would cash in on Toney next year although with his upcoming FA charge coming up that could be off the table.
Linford Christie Stadium on 12:32 - Dec 14 with 1716 viewscolinallcars

Linford Christie Stadium on 11:56 - Dec 14 by Dixie_CT

Is this Stamford Brook?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stamford_Brook

Stamford Brook ran into the Thames at Hammersmith Creek which was filled in by the council in, I think, the 30s (never forgiven 'em).
If you're ever drinking in the William Morris in Hammersmith, there's a painting of Hammersmith Creek on the wall. I'm a bit of an artist meself. Well, a piss artist anyway.
Linford Christie Stadium on 12:48 - Dec 14 with 1650 viewsRangersDave

anyone know how you can redevelop white city estate without removing the existing buildings?

copied from the web site......

No existing homes will be demolished as part of the programme; it proposes only to build new homes, community facilities, and new outdoor spaces.
The council is the freeholder of the entire development site and is the lead developer for the programme. This means that there are no private developers involved in the project.
The project will deliver 268 new homes, of which half will be affordable and prioritised for residents. This means that that the homes will be available to residents at a cost significantly below market rate; 81 homes will be developed for social rent, and 53 homes will be available for shared ownership arrangements. 134 homes will be privately sold in order to fund the social housing and community facilities.
Residents have been vitally important to the process of designing new community facilities and outdoor space, such as a central community hub, outdoor gym, and play facilities.

Itsnt this a perfect time to 'spread' width ways over SAR? or indeed, a 90 degree twist to the ground? Building facilities, shops etc?

Or have i got it all wrong?

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Linford Christie Stadium on 12:53 - Dec 14 with 1619 viewsDannyPaddox

Here to talk underground rivers. The underground river (that I know of) near the North Pole is Counter’s Creek (more commonly called Chelsea Creek … I prefer it’s original name of Counter’s Creek). It forms the border of the two boroughs Hammersmith & Fulham and Kensington & Chelsea. The river rises through the little scrubs into (or underneath) St. Mary’s Cemetery. It flows out into the Thames by Lots Road and Imperial Wharf station. It pretty much follows the Clapham Junction to Willesden Junction overground train line. When there’s heavy rain you can see it surfacing by West Brompton station.

I’ve heard the ground under Loftus Road is marshy which was the reason the pitch used to be so boggy - the reason we installed a plastic pitch. It might even be an old plague pit, which would make sense ie … it’s fcuking cursed, but I suppose a tributary could be flowing off Counters towards Hammersmith.

And I’ve always wondered if Imre Close is named after Imre Varadi who was born in the Borough.
Linford Christie Stadium on 12:57 - Dec 14 with 1600 viewsCamberleyR

Linford Christie Stadium on 12:48 - Dec 14 by RangersDave

anyone know how you can redevelop white city estate without removing the existing buildings?

No existing homes will be demolished as part of the programme; it proposes only to build new homes, community facilities, and new outdoor spaces.
The council is the freeholder of the entire development site and is the lead developer for the programme. This means that there are no private developers involved in the project.
The project will deliver 268 new homes, of which half will be affordable and prioritised for residents. This means that that the homes will be available to residents at a cost significantly below market rate; 81 homes will be developed for social rent, and 53 homes will be available for shared ownership arrangements. 134 homes will be privately sold in order to fund the social housing and community facilities.
Residents have been vitally important to the process of designing new community facilities and outdoor space, such as a central community hub, outdoor gym, and play facilities.

Itsnt this a perfect time to 'spread' width ways over SAR? or indeed, a 90 degree twist to the ground? Building facilities, shops etc?

I'd very much doubt you would have the space between Ellerslie Road and SA Road to rotate the pitch 90 degrees, it is a very tight space.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Linford Christie Stadium on 13:16 - Dec 14 with 1551 viewsDannyPaddox

Olympia & Olympia 2 are currently being transformed into some big arts complex. This involves expansion by building out and over the narrow adjoining Hammersmith Road. For me it seems a very similar lay-out and dynamic to QPR and South Africa Road.
Linford Christie Stadium on 13:18 - Dec 14 with 1548 viewsQPR_Jim

It says homes not buildings, I assume they will demolish the schools and community facilities between India Way and Canada Way and aim to re-provide those facilities on a smaller footprint freeing up space for more housing.

Shame really, you could fit a football stadium on that plot of land...
Linford Christie Stadium on 13:33 - Dec 14 with 1500 viewsDixie_CT

I believe the space being used is the community centre, adventure playground, Randolph Beresford nursery and some other underused/unloved buildings.
Linford Christie Stadium on 14:29 - Dec 14 with 1400 viewsAndybrat

Linford Christie Stadium on 21:56 - Dec 13 by Mick_S

Feck that, mate, and I live in Hillingdon. West London can cope with what we have, as it is at the moment. Stuff QPR matchdays in Uxbridge- the place and surrounds couldn’t deal with it. I understand that’s a negative view about something that is unlikely to happen, but not for me. The local authorities might be up for it, though.

Don’t want you to feel sorry for me but I was born and brought up in Feltham, Grandad a superhoop fan hence the injection of blue and white in my veins. I don’t live there now ( sorry mum) but I remember the awful stadium in one of the parks North of the town where we did all our sports dats etc. Parking etc there. Would have been perfect, unsure why I am mentioning but this is taking me down memory lane. Too West methinks
Linford Christie Stadium on 14:40 - Dec 14 with 1363 viewsJuzzie

Linford Christie Stadium on 14:29 - Dec 14 by Andybrat

Don’t want you to feel sorry for me but I was born and brought up in Feltham, Grandad a superhoop fan hence the injection of blue and white in my veins. I don’t live there now ( sorry mum) but I remember the awful stadium in one of the parks North of the town where we did all our sports dats etc. Parking etc there. Would have been perfect, unsure why I am mentioning but this is taking me down memory lane. Too West methinks

I do feel sorry for you. My missus loves getting crap off Vinted and such like and guess who has to go and pick them up? When she tells me it's "TW14" my heart sinks.
Linford Christie Stadium on 14:45 - Dec 14 with 1339 viewsDixie_CT

Linford Christie Stadium on 14:29 - Dec 14 by Andybrat

Good old Feltham Arena 😬

http://hoppysnaps.blogspot.com/2009/12/feltham-feltham-arena.html?m=1

https://mobile.twitter.com/groundtastic/status/1295443620951203854?lang=en-GB

Feltham is not really a hot bed for R’s fans, more old school Chelsea, and definitely not a place you want to spend any time in at all. The Wetherspoons in Feltham is one of the most incredible human zoos in the Western world.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2022 14:47]
Linford Christie Stadium on 14:48 - Dec 14 with 1325 viewsMick_S

Linford Christie Stadium on 09:23 - Dec 14 by dmm

Me too, dutch. My family gave up a fabulous house in Kensal Rise and moved to a boring 2 up 2 down semi in the god forsaken suburban desert of Kenton.

Where about in Kensal Rise, David? Some of my family lived on Kempe Road; the house that borders the school playground. Wonderful properties and we had great times round there.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Linford Christie Stadium on 14:57 - Dec 14 with 1290 viewsActonExile

How about we convince the council to close SAF road except for buses (only a single carriageway required) between Bloemfontein Road and Batman Close, then buy the school and move 20 yards north and west and we'll have plenty of room for a circa 22k stadium with a bit of corporate.

Poll: Wherever QPR end up playing home games in the future, what is most important?

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024