Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Newport County (H) Match Thread 19:01 - Jan 6 with 16703 viewsEllDale

Ah, the first Saturday in January, traditionally the time of the FA Cup third round.
Twenty years ago tomorrow I was on my way to Preston on the train.
More recently we’ve had the memories of games at Spotland against Leeds, Nottingham Forest and Newcastle.
This Saturday may seem more mundane at first glance but if anything may prove to be more important in the club’s history than any of the above.
Let’s just see passion and enthusiasm in this first home game of 2023. Please.
Newport County (H) Match Thread on 14:42 - Jan 7 with 4437 viewsKentish_Dale

A 4-2-3-1 according to the BBC. Is this a new thing?
Newport County (H) Match Thread on 15:00 - Jan 7 with 4330 viewselectricblue

Looking at those tweets what is wrong with people...

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Newport County (H) Match Thread on 15:51 - Jan 7 with 4067 views442Dale

Best half for ages.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Newport County (H) Match Thread on 15:51 - Jan 7 with 4071 viewsSheffdale

H-T Listening in and sounds a lot better. 1-0 up through Rodney from 20 yards. Before that a good header off the line by Graham who is becoming a very solid performer. More of the same needed in second half please.
Newport County (H) Match Thread on 15:56 - Jan 7 with 4003 viewsD_Alien

Newport County (H) Match Thread on 15:51 - Jan 7 by 442Dale

Best half for ages.

Keohane for Toums the difference, everything just happening faster

Plus better quality with White & Lloyd

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Newport County (H) Match Thread on 16:08 - Jan 7 with 3868 viewsSheffdale

Not the start to the second half we wanted! 1-1.
Newport County (H) Match Thread on 17:05 - Jan 7 with 3454 viewsfourfourtwo

Newport County (H) Match Thread on 15:00 - Jan 7 by electricblue

Looking at those tweets what is wrong with people...

Mind blowing.

I think the club need to have a serious think about how they’re managing their social channels. To any outsider or passive viewer looking in, all you see is absolute nonsense from a load of complete clowns.

It’s not a good luck for the club, the fans, and certainly won’t be appealing to any investor who’s considering becoming involved in the club.

Yes we’re not in a good place right now. People speak about a “fractured club”. It’s these idiots creating such a toxic atmosphere that are fracturing the place further.

The club need to start tackling some of these idiots head on, I’m sick of seeing it.
Newport County (H) Match Thread on 17:07 - Jan 7 with 3420 views442Dale

Newport County (H) Match Thread on 16:08 - Jan 7 by Sheffdale

Not the start to the second half we wanted! 1-1.

How we start halves is determining games at the moment. For the first half we spent the opening five-ten mins nearer their goal than ours, then it was reversed in the second.

Anyway, if we played like that every week we’d be a few points better off by now. The two players subbed need to be on the bench on Tuesday.

Login to get fewer ads

Newport County (H) Match Thread on 17:20 - Jan 7 with 3294 viewsDaleFan7

We were better in the first half without being good. 2nd half we reverted to type for the majority of it and were a painful watch.

The sooner we can get Ball out of the midfield the better.
Newport County (H) Match Thread on 17:28 - Jan 7 with 3209 views442Dale

Newport County (H) Match Thread on 17:20 - Jan 7 by DaleFan7

We were better in the first half without being good. 2nd half we reverted to type for the majority of it and were a painful watch.

It’s getting to the point where you almost start to feel sorry for him. The move hasn’t worked out and he is struggling with the basics in games.

Newport County (H) Match Thread on 17:36 - Jan 7 with 3121 viewsgolfaduffy

Another ultimately frustrating game for Dale. Could and probably should ave been at least 2 up by half time, but lost our way and momentum after the break, and could ave lost based on chances near the end.

Lloyd and Kelly were very good in the first half, and Lloyd rightly won mom again whil Kelly missed a sitter when they were reeling, and faded after half time somewhat.

Their goal was another howler with someone in defence missing the ball, and (again) O'Donnell being beaten from long distance.

Shame about the disallowed goal. Was it going in before someone glanced a header from an offside position?

Ultimately, it's another point, and we do ave a better shape than a month ago, but Keohane is way too cautious with the ball preferring a sideways or backwards pass 9 times out of ten.

We still need to get rid of the dead wood, so Ball can do one for me and Quigley can follow him . Another can't be arsed performance from Quigs. Is he ever going to try?

And a word for the ref... it's very rare we get an Homer, but today he gave us most 50/50's. Makes up for all the ones who don't !
Newport County (H) Match Thread on 17:37 - Jan 7 with 3112 viewsDareToCalvin

Everyone apart from Ball and Quigley had decent games today for me.
Agreed with the previous post, it’s at the point now where I feel sorry for Ball, and teams have just figured out how to deal with Quigley so need to change it up for a couple of games I think.
Very frustrating not to win considering how poor Newport were but trying to find positives, we played a hell of a lot better than we have done for the last 6 weeks.
Onto Tuesday.
Newport County (H) Match Thread on 17:38 - Jan 7 with 3101 viewsD_Alien

Feels like a real waste of what should've been a morale-boosting win

We might easily have gone in at half time more than one goal ahead, but then to concede the soft as shittest goal straight after the break just about sums up our lack of game management

I'm sure there are positives to take out of the game, such as players returning from injury and some flowing football at times, but i'm just too annoyed to think about that. We were in on goal right at the end too but for selfishness from Sinclair

Thought White was outstanding throughout, he's got to stay fit if we're to survive

And yes, Ball was shite

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Newport County (H) Match Thread on 17:40 - Jan 7 with 3081 viewsHullDale

That was the kind of game we need to be winning if we are to stay up - Newport were awful in the first half and average in the second (although we made them look good!)

First half was as good as we have been all season - on the front foot, decisive, attacking and thinking how to hurt Newport. We got lucky with Rodney's goal (clear handball) but karma kicked in when Kelly missed the second soon after.

Their goal was a shocker - awful free kick to give away, poor defending of the free kick and once again we look vulnerable from set pieces... 3 direct free kicks condeded on 4 games? There was no urgency from us to take throw ins or goal kicks, and seemingly no tactic to move at pace and hurt Newport.

Ball needs to leave, and I've hit a point with Quigley where he can go too. Play Rodney in the Quigs role (where he had more success at the start of the season) with Campbell off him. Neither are adding anything to the team and, at times, are doing more harm than good. Ise the wage we pay Quigley to get Lloyd in longer term and lets start to build from there.

2 embarassing bits too today - one was the abuse being dished out from the usual culprits in the WMG. The same guy that was giving it out to Graham and Dorsett last season was at it with O'Donnell & others today. Personal abuse and name calling doesn't get anyone anywhere - and 'I need a vent after a bad week' is no excuse for a grown adult. After throwing abuse O'Donnell's way for 10 minutes, he made a brilliant low save to his left and the main culprit in the stand couldn't have looked more annoyed. Great support.

Then a group of young lads running round towards the Newport coaches after full time - faces covered and hoods up - shouting abuse and looking for trouble. I don't think the club is in a position to be funding extra police.

Frustrated.
Newport County (H) Match Thread on 18:06 - Jan 7 with 2835 viewsupthedale2403

Much better performance today, Especially first half. It was a shame Kelly lost his footing when played in by Lloyd just after our first if that goes in we win the game imo.

Kelly & Lloyd both brilliant today

Quigley & Ball as said already I halve feel sorry for ball but the lad just ain’t good enough how he gets in the team I will never know surely EBJ isn’t blind to his sub par performances? Quigley was superb at Carlisle in his first game, he has obviously got the quality as his career has proven so how he can be so bad is beyond me! Apart from these two I think everyone else had a decent game maybe there is hope!
Newport County (H) Match Thread on 18:10 - Jan 7 with 2780 viewsTVOS1907

Some interesting fixtures coming up

Next Saturday
Dale v Colchester
Gillingham v Hartlepool

21st Jan
Colchester v Gillingham
Hartlepool v Dale

28th Jan
Hartlepool v Colchester

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Newport County (H) Match Thread on 18:13 - Jan 7 with 2756 viewsmikehunt

You forget to mention the two young idiots who ran on to the pitch second half. One of them was filming it so, if that goes on the net, we should be able to ban him from games.

As for the game. Frustrating as it was to drop points in such sloppy fashion, overall, at last, I am pleased with the overall performance. If we can get a few more Lloyd-type players in we might, just, beat the drop.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Newport County (H) Match Thread on 19:27 - Jan 7 with 2329 viewsNorthernDale

Newport County (H) Match Thread on 17:20 - Jan 7 by DaleFan7

I have to agree, we played well in the first half, created chances and better then we have weeks. Again to echo other people, we seem to sit back in the second half, as if the fear factor had returned, which was not there in the first period, we seemed disjointed going forward. Even Jim was annoyed at the early goal in the second half, in that we gave away a poor free kick and even worse, no one in his eyes, took responsibility to clear the ball away from the danger zone.

Will he make changes for Tuesday, very doubtful, the questions of what options does he have, Diagouraga, Henderson or Campbell and drop Ball and possibly Quigley (which will not happen). Until we get some bodies in, especially in the midfield, then his options are limited, the back four looks more balanced now White and Graham have been restored.
Newport County (H) Match Thread on 19:33 - Jan 7 with 2266 views442Dale

Newport County (H) Match Thread on 19:27 - Jan 7 by NorthernDale

I have to agree, we played well in the first half, created chances and better then we have weeks. Again to echo other people, we seem to sit back in the second half, as if the fear factor had returned, which was not there in the first period, we seemed disjointed going forward. Even Jim was annoyed at the early goal in the second half, in that we gave away a poor free kick and even worse, no one in his eyes, took responsibility to clear the ball away from the danger zone.

Will he make changes for Tuesday, very doubtful, the questions of what options does he have, Diagouraga, Henderson or Campbell and drop Ball and possibly Quigley (which will not happen). Until we get some bodies in, especially in the midfield, then his options are limited, the back four looks more balanced now White and Graham have been restored.

Diagouraga for Ball has to be a certainty. Henderson would not be the ideal option from the start but he gives defenders far more to think about than Quigley unless the latter is going to put in the displays seen months ago. At the moment he’s so easy to play against.

Hopefully we can get someone in too. You’d like to think that the three who have gone would free up money for at least one new arrival.

Newport County (H) Match Thread on 20:09 - Jan 7 with 2118 viewsEllDale

Plenty to sift through from today’s performance.
For the first time in weeks there was competition for the MOM award.
Lloyd just about shaded it. He looks so busy scurrying around and doesn’t look like someone who has just come back from a lengthy injury lay-off.
Put a contract in front of him now before someone else does. I would hate to think that we only acted as the final part of his rehabilitation.
White was excellent too. Such a good experienced footballer. If only he could play 40 games a season.
Kelly looked as well and looks to be getting back to form. He combined well with Sereti and Lloyd in the first half. Shame about the miss. We would probably have to gone onto win at 2-0 up at halftime.
ROD was much better today too but I’m beginning to wonder how much of the uncertainty from setpieces is down to his inability to command his area?
Those were the plusses.
I was disappointed in Rodney to a certain extent. Should he have scored in the opening exchanges after Ball had contrived to get the ball to him?
And he looks so sloppy in possession sometimes when he’s tracking back.
Ball just gives the ball away far too often and seems slow and cumbersome.
Their goal was sooo disappointing and a right kick in the b@lls. I bet half the Sandy were still in the Dale Bar when the ball sneaked in.
Taurus didn’t exact cover themselves in glory again either, letting two juveniles on the pitch.
Newport County (H) Match Thread on 20:16 - Jan 7 with 2065 viewsleedsdale

Newport County (H) Match Thread on 20:09 - Jan 7 by EllDale

Plenty to sift through from today’s performance.
For the first time in weeks there was competition for the MOM award.
Lloyd just about shaded it. He looks so busy scurrying around and doesn’t look like someone who has just come back from a lengthy injury lay-off.
Put a contract in front of him now before someone else does. I would hate to think that we only acted as the final part of his rehabilitation.
White was excellent too. Such a good experienced footballer. If only he could play 40 games a season.
Kelly looked as well and looks to be getting back to form. He combined well with Sereti and Lloyd in the first half. Shame about the miss. We would probably have to gone onto win at 2-0 up at halftime.
ROD was much better today too but I’m beginning to wonder how much of the uncertainty from setpieces is down to his inability to command his area?
Those were the plusses.
I was disappointed in Rodney to a certain extent. Should he have scored in the opening exchanges after Ball had contrived to get the ball to him?
And he looks so sloppy in possession sometimes when he’s tracking back.
Ball just gives the ball away far too often and seems slow and cumbersome.
Their goal was sooo disappointing and a right kick in the b@lls. I bet half the Sandy were still in the Dale Bar when the ball sneaked in.
Taurus didn’t exact cover themselves in glory again either, letting two juveniles on the pitch.

Speaking of Taurus, does anyone know what was happening after the game at the junction of Sandy Lane and Willbutts Lane? There were lots of stewards in the middle of the road, as well as what looked like Newport fans.
Newport County (H) Match Thread on 20:27 - Jan 7 with 1992 views49thseason

Newport County (H) Match Thread on 19:33 - Jan 7 by 442Dale

Diagouraga for Ball has to be a certainty. Henderson would not be the ideal option from the start but he gives defenders far more to think about than Quigley unless the latter is going to put in the displays seen months ago. At the moment he’s so easy to play against.

Hopefully we can get someone in too. You’d like to think that the three who have gone would free up money for at least one new arrival.

I think Lloyd is the new arrival, the question being "will he sign a new contract"?
Quigley is the other question for me, I don't think he is earning a contract at the moment, he certainly isn't winning any battles against centre halves, he needs to be much more central on the half turn and stop watching his defence. Ball too has become half-hearted in his tackling and his lying on the deck complaining to the referee instead of jumping up and getting after the man who got away from him in the first half was scandalously amateurish.

On the plus side I thought Jimmy did OK in Midfield, and White played as well as I have seen him do since he arrived.

But, it sure is a difficult watch, they always look likely to concede and the equaliser surprised no one , was Hendo offside? I have watched the highlights and still not sure, its the fine margins that cost you dearly. on the brighter side, the bookies still seem to prefer Hartlepool (59.9%) and Gillingham (45.5%) for the drop, Rochdale are at 33.3
Newport County (H) Match Thread on 20:38 - Jan 7 with 1941 viewsHullDale

Newport County (H) Match Thread on 20:16 - Jan 7 by leedsdale

Speaking of Taurus, does anyone know what was happening after the game at the junction of Sandy Lane and Willbutts Lane? There were lots of stewards in the middle of the road, as well as what looked like Newport fans.

We saw a group of 20-30 kids running round from the Sandy towards the Newport coaches with faces covered / hoods up shouting highly offensive comments and clearly looking for trouble. Probably that.
Newport County (H) Match Thread on 20:47 - Jan 7 with 1900 viewsfrequency

Quigley and ball to go.possibly another keeper for competition EBJ says he wants to sign lloyd and lloyd wants to sign so hopefully this will happen
[Post edited 7 Jan 2023 21:12]

Hate city

Newport County (H) Match Thread on 21:38 - Jan 7 with 1681 views442Dale

Newport County (H) Match Thread on 20:27 - Jan 7 by 49thseason

I think Lloyd is the new arrival, the question being "will he sign a new contract"?
Quigley is the other question for me, I don't think he is earning a contract at the moment, he certainly isn't winning any battles against centre halves, he needs to be much more central on the half turn and stop watching his defence. Ball too has become half-hearted in his tackling and his lying on the deck complaining to the referee instead of jumping up and getting after the man who got away from him in the first half was scandalously amateurish.

On the plus side I thought Jimmy did OK in Midfield, and White played as well as I have seen him do since he arrived.

But, it sure is a difficult watch, they always look likely to concede and the equaliser surprised no one , was Hendo offside? I have watched the highlights and still not sure, its the fine margins that cost you dearly. on the brighter side, the bookies still seem to prefer Hartlepool (59.9%) and Gillingham (45.5%) for the drop, Rochdale are at 33.3

Impossible to tell on the Henderson offside from the camera angle. First thought was he was and looked straight over at the assistant, but he had the best view. You win some, you lose some in those situations.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024