Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2023-2024 Squad 14:21 - Mar 26 with 37998 viewsHullDale

* denotes player in on loan
Italics highlight 2nd year scholar

GK Louie Moulden - Summer 2024*
GK Brad Kelly - Summer 2024
GK Lennon MacLorg - Summer 2024

LB/CB/RB Jimmy Keohane - Summer 2024
LB / LCB Cameron John - Summer 2024
LB Max Conway - January 2024*
CB Ethan Ebanks-Landell - Summer 2024
CB Max Taylor - Summer 2024
CB Kyle Ferguson - Summer 2025
CB George Nevett - Summer 2024
RB Kwaku Oduroh - Summer 2024*

CDM Adam Clayton - Summer 2024
CDM Ryan East - Summer 2024*
CM Harvey Gilmour - Summer 2025
CM Tommy McDermott - January 2024*
CM Brooklyn Bailey - Summer 2024
CAM / LW Oscar Kelly - Summer 2024
RW/CF Tyrese Sinclair - Summer 2024
LW/CF Darren Ehimamiegho - Summer 2024
LW Michael Afuye - Summer 2024
LW/RW Jesurun Uchegbulam - Summer 2025

CF Devante Rodney - Summer 2024
CF Ian Henderson - Summer 2024
CF Kairo Mitchell - Summer 2025
WF Moe Shubbar - Summer 2024

Updated list including the 2nd year scholars - Jim's interview today sounds like they will feature more this season.

This post has been edited by an administrator
2023-2024 Squad on 17:48 - May 15 with 5155 viewsNorthernDale

I think Kelly has ability, but he knee high to a grasshopper and that is weakness, he needs a player like Lund to assist him and take the pressure off him.

Remember those on the transfer don't have to leave, but I think some are unhappy at the club, so may seek a fresh start.

Hopefully we can hold onto most of the squad and get some decent signings in, the second part, our recruitment, is crucial for next season.
2023-2024 Squad on 20:30 - May 15 with 4934 views49thseason

The Seasons statistics give a clear picture of the failings and what needs to be done.
We had 416 shots in 46 games 138 were on target and resulted in 45 goals
Our opponents had 613 shots at our goal , 193 were on target and produced 68 goals
So our rate of scoring was slightly better than our opponents for the shots on target at 33.2% Vs 31.5% ... we just didn't shoot often enough

Crosses. we put in 564 crosses , our opponents put in 938
Tackles for possession , we made 421 Our opponents made 499
Interceptions, we made 355, our opponents measured 513

This tells me that our midfield was weak compared to our opponents and our forwards didn't get the service from the wings that others had. Consequently we didn't take enough shots and therefore didn't score enough goals.

Its a simple game, if you shoot a lot, you get more shots on target, which directly correlates to more goals
2023-2024 Squad on 06:54 - May 16 with 4695 viewsTalkingSutty

2023-2024 Squad on 20:30 - May 15 by 49thseason

The Seasons statistics give a clear picture of the failings and what needs to be done.
Our opponents had 613 shots at our goal , 193 were on target and produced 68 goals
So our rate of scoring was slightly better than our opponents for the shots on target at 33.2% Vs 31.5% ... we just didn't shoot often enough

This tells me that our midfield was weak compared to our opponents and our forwards didn't get the service from the wings that others had. Consequently we didn't take enough shots and therefore didn't score enough goals.

Its a simple game, if you shoot a lot, you get more shots on target, which directly correlates to more goals

Interesting post that. I think those stats reflect our over reliance on keeping possession. How many times did we get the ball in and around the penalty area and then decide to turn back and funnel the ball back to the defenders..fannying about with the ball when a first time shot or cross was on. It was frustrating to watch and we constantly turned promising attacking positions into negative possession which our opponents must have loved. How many shots on target did we recently have against Crawley, Mansfield, Bradford, Stockport, Harrogate?

I think we'll be seeing it all play out again next season because playing posession football is far less strenuous than playing a pressing game at a high tempo. To play that way you need players who are fit and aggressive, we haven't seen a high energy team at the Dale since Hill was in charge. Those stats don't lie and with one of the coaches now being given the managers job we can't expect any different. We won't be able to afford the technically gifted players so commonsense would say simplify the game and concentrate on fitness and energy, sign some big physical players. We won't do though, he'll probably rely on blooding kids from the youth team.
[Post edited 16 May 2023 8:49]
2023-2024 Squad on 09:10 - May 16 with 4576 viewsfitzochris

2023-2024 Squad on 06:54 - May 16 by TalkingSutty

Interesting post that. I think those stats reflect our over reliance on keeping possession. How many times did we get the ball in and around the penalty area and then decide to turn back and funnel the ball back to the defenders..fannying about with the ball when a first time shot or cross was on. It was frustrating to watch and we constantly turned promising attacking positions into negative possession which our opponents must have loved. How many shots on target did we recently have against Crawley, Mansfield, Bradford, Stockport, Harrogate?

I think we'll be seeing it all play out again next season because playing posession football is far less strenuous than playing a pressing game at a high tempo. To play that way you need players who are fit and aggressive, we haven't seen a high energy team at the Dale since Hill was in charge. Those stats don't lie and with one of the coaches now being given the managers job we can't expect any different. We won't be able to afford the technically gifted players so commonsense would say simplify the game and concentrate on fitness and energy, sign some big physical players. We won't do though, he'll probably rely on blooding kids from the youth team.

Those stats directly correlate to what we have all seen over the past two seasons.

As I wrote here ( https://rochdaleafcnews.com/2023/05/08/a-journey-into-the-unknown/ ), Stockdale started out by asking his team to get the ball into the box quickly. That resulted in us sitting just outside the play-offs after his first few months. Then it all changed and our results suffered. It's a trend that hasn't been reversed since.

For us to be successful next season, at the very least, we need to be able to launch fast attacks. That is partly down to the playing personnel and partly down to how the manager instructs the team to play.

Let's see.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

2023-2024 Squad on 15:00 - May 16 with 4292 viewsnordenblue

2023-2024 Squad on 06:54 - May 16 by TalkingSutty

Was saying exactly the same at Harrogate when in good possession down the Harrogate line heading towards their goal we somehow managed to end up with ROD on the ball in the space of 2 passes, its frightening how much importance or even an obsession is now placed on possession, over complicating a pretty simple game.
2023-2024 Squad on 17:04 - May 16 with 4107 viewsDaleiLama

2023-2024 Squad on 20:30 - May 15 by 49thseason

Yes, that analysis certainly backs up the "naked eye-test" data-wise, and the woeful number of crosses reflects the number of times we've turned down the opportunity to get that killer cross in when the opportunity arises. A massive bug-bear of mine was also the number of crosses (and corners) which were criminally over-hit or under-hit (less often). We didn't deliver anyway near enough, but when we did infrequently pull the trigger, it was a wasted effort. I was sat in front of the Sutton commentator, and one of his favourite phrases oft-repeated during commentary was to "play the ball into the corridor of uncertainty". As you say, it's basic stuff and our strikers just didn't get enough opportunities in the danger area in front of goal (the opponent's goal that is). I really hope that whoever we have playing at the club next season, dead balls and crossing is an area of focus in pre-season. There was a lot not up to scratch last year but this was right at the top of that list.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

2023-2024 Squad on 17:34 - May 16 with 4046 viewsTomRAFC

With regards to signings, I'd like to see some brutal players come in, players worth being scared of. A Peter Cavanagh in midfield and a horrible sod of a target man. Ideally 2 of each so we aren't left stranded in case of injury/suspension.

Full backs remain our ever present issue.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

2023-2024 Squad on 18:07 - May 16 with 3985 viewsmikehunt

If you watch the Harrogate match you will see that, in the first half, we had the upper hand because they weren’t pressing us. Second half they did and we struggled, yet continued with the “fannying around” game. We need a plan B, (and C for that matter) to confound teams who soon suss our style of play and punish us for it.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Login to get fewer ads

2023-2024 Squad on 13:28 - Jun 8 with 3565 viewsHullDale

GK Richard O'Donnell - Summer 2024

RB/CB Toby Mullarkey - Summer 2024 *
LCB Cameron John - Summer 2024

CM James Ball - Summer 2024
CAM/CF Tyrese Sinclair - Summer 2024
AM Abraham Odoh - Summer 2024 **

CF Tahvon Campbell - Summer 2024

* Linked to Grimsby Town
** Rumoured to be on the radar of Leyton Orient, Burton & Swindon
2023-2024 Squad on 15:12 - Jun 8 with 3438 viewsBrierls

2023-2024 Squad on 13:28 - Jun 8 by HullDale

RB/CB Toby Mullarkey - Summer 2024 *

AM Abraham Odoh - Summer 2024 **

* Linked to Grimsby Town
** Rumoured to be on the radar of Leyton Orient, Burton & Swindon

Leaves plenty of room for McNulty to immediately put his stamp on the squad.
2023-2024 Squad on 15:48 - Jun 8 with 3382 viewsdavidab2202

2023-2024 Squad on 15:12 - Jun 8 by Brierls

Leaves plenty of room for McNulty to immediately put his stamp on the squad.

If by immediate, you mean in the next couple of days I think that might be wishful thinking.
Our position both in the pyramid and financial means that I think there will be little activity in signing new players until towards the end of this month at the earliest.
Could be that the first pre season games could have a sprinkling of Academy players getting an outing
Even if all players contracted stay at the club( which is probably unlikely) , we are at the moment struggling to field a team .In addition if we are looking to bring in loan players as has been muted elsewhere they are also unlikely to be around much before the start of the season, I wouldn't imagine
2023-2024 Squad on 16:15 - Jun 8 with 3346 viewsNorthernDale

As I have said previously, I understand the need to be careful with finances, but this needs to go hand in hand with a degree of ambition. The board are addressing the financial aspect, but I am beginning to suspect that they have little ambition in getting back to the EFL anytime soon.

We will end up signing the leftovers, those just happy to get a contract or poor loan signings., which makes me worried for this coming season.
2023-2024 Squad on 16:40 - Jun 8 with 3289 viewsdavidab2202

2023-2024 Squad on 16:15 - Jun 8 by NorthernDale

As I have said previously, I understand the need to be careful with finances, but this needs to go hand in hand with a degree of ambition. The board are addressing the financial aspect, but I am beginning to suspect that they have little ambition in getting back to the EFL anytime soon.

We will end up signing the leftovers, those just happy to get a contract or poor loan signings., which makes me worried for this coming season.

To be fair it maybe my age ,but struggling to remember any loan signings who have made too big an impact with perhaps only some of the Goalkeepers who have gone on to have decent careers .I remember a certain Lyndon Symmonds but that must be nearly 40 years ago now
2023-2024 Squad on 17:16 - Jun 8 with 3225 viewsBrierls

2023-2024 Squad on 15:48 - Jun 8 by davidab2202

If by immediate, you mean in the next couple of days I think that might be wishful thinking.
Our position both in the pyramid and financial means that I think there will be little activity in signing new players until towards the end of this month at the earliest.
Could be that the first pre season games could have a sprinkling of Academy players getting an outing
Even if all players contracted stay at the club( which is probably unlikely) , we are at the moment struggling to field a team .In addition if we are looking to bring in loan players as has been muted elsewhere they are also unlikely to be around much before the start of the season, I wouldn't imagine

No, I didn't mean that. I've been around long enough to know when we typically sign players.

I meant McNulty won't have to do much juggling, or shapeshifting as it became known in the Hill era, as there won't be many players left. Pretty much his players, his team, from the off.
2023-2024 Squad on 15:21 - Jun 9 with 3013 viewsHullDale

AM Abraham Odoh - Summer 2024 *

* Rumoured to be on the radar of Leyton Orient, Burton & Swindon
2023-2024 Squad on 15:46 - Jun 9 with 2981 viewsNorthernDale

As anyone heard any rumours coming out of the club, about Lloyd, kelly, Keohane and Graham are expected to sign or not, yes we all accept Lloyd will get better offers, but an update about the other three may be helpful.
2023-2024 Squad on 16:43 - Jun 9 with 2905 viewsBrierls

2023-2024 Squad on 15:46 - Jun 9 by NorthernDale

As anyone heard any rumours coming out of the club, about Lloyd, kelly, Keohane and Graham are expected to sign or not, yes we all accept Lloyd will get better offers, but an update about the other three may be helpful.

I've heard Lloyd and Kelly have better offers elsewhere. We've seen the last of them. A real shame about Lloyd, I couldn't care less about Kelly (the same attitude that he brought to the club). Lloyd has tweeted a video and pics of him training (not with a club) abroad.

Not heard much re Keohane or Graham. I think both fall into the 'could do a job in the NL' category, but not on the £££ they were on previously. I think there may be EFL suitors for Keohane, hoping they can get the goals return he did for us a few seasons back. Out of the four, I think Graham is the most likely to agree a new deal. I wouldn't be too disappointed with that assuming we can offload John and maybe EEL.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2023 16:45]
2023-2024 Squad on 18:00 - Jun 9 with 2841 viewsdavidab2202

2023-2024 Squad on 15:48 - Jun 8 by davidab2202

With that signing today, just shows what I know !!!
2023-2024 Squad on 17:08 - Jun 16 with 2377 viewsHullDale

AM Abraham Odoh - Summer 2024

2023-2024 Squad on 17:59 - Jun 16 with 2291 viewsHullDale

CM Cody Johnson - Summer 2024*
AM Abraham Odoh - Summer 2024

*Loan
[Post edited 16 Jun 2023 18:01]
2023-2024 Squad on 23:34 - Jun 16 with 2122 viewsEllDale

We obviously don’t know if any more players are on the way out but to mind that’s a decent squad.
2023-2024 Squad on 06:35 - Jun 17 with 2047 viewsNorthernDale

The early betting odds, which I accept mean nothing, but we are third favourites to win the NL, also third favourites for promotion. I agree on paper we are a half decent squad, but sadly we play on grass.

Does any know have the club set a date for those offered contracts to sign or not?
2023-2024 Squad on 10:27 - Jun 19 with 1705 viewseitoof

I'd be happy enough if either Keohane or Graham re-signed but maybe not both!

It would be great if could get a really good PL youth prospect in on loan. It's not impossible. Altrincham got in a lad called Oyedele from United last season and he had a really good spell with them.
2023-2024 Squad on 10:44 - Jun 19 with 1680 viewsDaleFan7

That defence is worrying. EEL and John really had bad seasons last year, I think Taylor can be a decent player at NL level. Hopefully once contracts expire at the end of the month we will start to see some defenders trickle in.

Midfield we still need a general type, I don't think we'll be able to offload Ball and looks like Odoh might be off.

Up front if we keep Rodney and play him in a partnership rather than solo with two people out wide I think he'll be a real weapon for us this season.
2023-2024 Squad on 11:04 - Jun 19 with 1643 viewsEllDale

As usual I think that a leftback is a priority now.
There aren't too many left footed players in that squad.
As for loan players I hope we avoid the pitfall of signing naive 18 year olds from Premier League clubs and perhaps look instead to sign slightly older lads from EFL teams.
An example is that of Adam Senior who Halifax signed on loan from Bolton last season and who played really really well for them in defence. He was 20 at the time.
Or look at the contrast between RND and some of the other younger players we've had at left back.
Two years can make a massive difference in terms of physical development and mental resilience.
In the end though I suppose all loan players are a bit of a gamble especially if you take them on for a full season with the commitment that this entails.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024