Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Never mind the b0llock$.... 01:59 - May 10 with 8902 viewsSandyman

How about a thread that remembers the good stuff. Inspiration for what we should aim to achieve in the years ahead. Plenty out there in words, memories and video. Pick your favourites.
Starter...

Never mind the b0llock$.... on 03:24 - May 10 with 5126 viewspioneer

As we move into Wednesday it marks 54 years to the day since we beat southend 3-0 to gain our first ever promotion. I remember it like it was yesterday.

It took us 47 years, but well worth the wait.

Harker, Smith, Ryder, Leech, Parry , Ashworth, Whitehead Rudd Buck, Jenkins, Butler. Sub Melledew.

Recite it like my 9 times table, though for that game Buck getting over an injury, was sub and Melledew #9.
Never mind the b0llock$.... on 06:55 - May 10 with 5028 viewsHebdale

That team and England 1966 World Cup winning team 😊😊
Never mind the b0llock$.... on 07:10 - May 10 with 5017 viewsEllDale

Never mind the b0llock$.... on 03:24 - May 10 by pioneer

As we move into Wednesday it marks 54 years to the day since we beat southend 3-0 to gain our first ever promotion. I remember it like it was yesterday.

It took us 47 years, but well worth the wait.

Harker, Smith, Ryder, Leech, Parry , Ashworth, Whitehead Rudd Buck, Jenkins, Butler. Sub Melledew.

Recite it like my 9 times table, though for that game Buck getting over an injury, was sub and Melledew #9.

I was going to come on here this morning and start a thread about May 10th but you've beaten me to it!
Will never forget that day.
It's just a crying shame that there's no footage of that 1969 team.
Never mind the b0llock$.... on 07:12 - May 10 with 5006 viewsdingdangblue

The night we went top of the league and then stayed there for 4 months. Possibly the finest away performance I've witnessed as a Dale fan and to say it could have been 7 or 8 nil isn't exaggerating. Driving home listening to the Bradford fans on the radio saying it was the best team they've seen in a long time filled us with enormous pride. Thompson never offside either! 😆

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Never mind the b0llock$.... on 08:29 - May 10 with 4902 viewsJimmySquirrel61

Great video,did you go up as champions?

Poll: Who wants Notts County to get promoted

Never mind the b0llock$.... on 09:29 - May 10 with 4818 viewsChaffRAFC

Never mind the b0llock$.... on 08:29 - May 10 by JimmySquirrel61

As the great Brian Clough said in "The Damned United", "you've been champions but you've not been good champions" "and "chuck all your medals and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest f*****g dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly, you've done it all by bloody cheating!"

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Never mind the b0llock$.... on 09:56 - May 10 with 4771 viewsdingdangblue

Never mind the b0llock$.... on 08:29 - May 10 by JimmySquirrel61

Morally - yes.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Never mind the b0llock$.... on 09:57 - May 10 with 4772 viewsJimmySquirrel61

Ahhh yes The Damned United,the same film that Cloughs wife,son Nigel and others condemned as a work of fiction

Login to get fewer ads

Never mind the b0llock$.... on 10:04 - May 10 with 4761 viewsRodingdale

Never mind the b0llock$.... on 09:57 - May 10 by JimmySquirrel61

Ahhh yes The Damned United,the same film that Cloughs wife,son Nigel and others condemned as a work of fiction

Yeah - whereas in real life, Clough went on to manage Leeds to European domination. Oh hang on…
Never mind the b0llock$.... on 10:07 - May 10 with 4756 viewsRodingdale

The goal that probably got me hooked was Steve O’Shaughnessy v Northampton FA Cup can’t remember the year…
Never mind the b0llock$.... on 10:19 - May 10 with 4722 viewsfermin

Never mind the b0llock$.... on 10:07 - May 10 by Rodingdale

The goal that probably got me hooked was Steve O’Shaughnessy v Northampton FA Cup can’t remember the year…

4th round in 1990 to take us to the game at Palace. It is at 7.55 on this video:

Never mind the b0llock$.... on 10:34 - May 10 with 4700 viewsJimmySquirrel61

Never mind the b0llock$.... on 09:56 - May 10 by dingdangblue

Morally - yes.

What did Bournemouth do to not clinch the moral champion title?

Never mind the b0llock$.... on 11:12 - May 10 with 4630 viewsdingdangblue

Seeing Scott Hogan for the first time and thinking surely this is some sort of wind up. You could tell instantly that he was far too good for our level.

Never mind the b0llock$.... on 11:35 - May 10 with 4589 viewssxdale

Robbie Wakenshaw free kick against PNE on the plastic pitch and doing the conga round the away end.
Rickie Lambert's free kick when he drilled it under the wall. Think he had already scored about 3 or 4 over the wall that season and the opposition - can't remember who - thought they'd be smart and jumped in unison so he went under the wall, brilliant, skillful and f***ing hilarious. ⁶
Never mind the b0llock$.... on 11:41 - May 10 with 4572 viewsTomRAFC

Double decker bus over the tops, to see Jason Peake do this...

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Never mind the b0llock$.... on 12:12 - May 10 with 4480 viewsRodingdale

Never mind the b0llock$.... on 10:19 - May 10 by fermin

4th round in 1990 to take us to the game at Palace. It is at 7.55 on this video:

Just look at the Sandy!!!
Never mind the b0llock$.... on 12:37 - May 10 with 4412 viewsD_Alien

Never mind the b0llock$.... on 12:12 - May 10 by Rodingdale

Just look at the Sandy!!!

We'll never see it packed like that again, due to capacity restrictions. Even there, it was reduced from what it'd been back in the 68/69 promotion season due to the rebuilding of the back wall, bringing it forward slightly. Before then, a packed Sandy really was a sight to behold (and hear), and just following up on EllDale's point, it's crazy no-one thought of video-recording the win against Southend 54 years ago

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Never mind the b0llock$.... on 12:48 - May 10 with 4394 viewspioneer

Never mind the b0llock$.... on 07:10 - May 10 by EllDale

I was going to come on here this morning and start a thread about May 10th but you've beaten me to it!
Will never forget that day.
It's just a crying shame that there's no footage of that 1969 team.

Oddly enough we played Southend, this time away on May 10th 1968 as well. Final game of the season losing 3-1. We finished two places out of re election spots thanks to beating next to bottom Workington away the previous Saturday to ensure we avoided the bottom 4.

74 years ago today, May 10 1949, we won the Lancashire Senior Cup for the first time beating Blackpool at Boundary Park in the final 1-0 with a last minute goal from Jack Connor in front of over 13,000 fans. The previous week we beat Man City at Maine Road in the semi final 2-0.
Never mind the b0llock$.... on 13:33 - May 10 with 4302 viewsEllDale

The 1969 game was a rearranged one.
I think we should have played Southend on Monday March 31st but it was postponed as the Spotland pitch was waterlogged. That in itself may have been a rearrangement as plenty of games were lost in February due to snow.
It was a very late decision (sound familiar!) and plenty of confused people turned up only to be turned away. No social media in those days to spread the message.
I know because I was one of them - got to the ground at 7.00pm to see the players going home.
Never mind the b0llock$.... on 13:54 - May 10 with 4252 viewsShun

Some lovely memories here. There are too many incredible ones to mention really, but I’ll offer Dale 4-1 Rotherham. It was a 1-1 stalemate until Chris Dagnall comes off the bench for his first appearance after a half-season injury, and scores a 9-minute hat-trick. Then it started snowing.
Never mind the b0llock$.... on 14:05 - May 10 with 4227 viewsjonahwhereru

Dumping Orient 3-2 at Brisbane road when down to 10 men was time I really puffed my chest out as a Dale supporter for me.
Done played like a man possessed as the lone striker after the sending off. Chased everything and scored two. Remember when he was substituted the Orient fans gave him an ovation. Not seen that before or since for a Dale player.
Must also mention finally doing the double over Southend. Living in Southend I endured plenty of stick over the years, so bloody loved that.
Do the double again next season and I won’t care what division it’s in.
Never mind the b0llock$.... on 14:21 - May 10 with 4191 viewsNewbury_Dale

First game, 27 March 1993, Rochdale 5—2 Colchester United

But I think my favourite time was [unsurprisingly] the promotion season 2013—14 and the season after when we finished 8th in League One. The only regret being that I didnt really step back; appreciate and enjoy the enormity of what was being achieved at the time.. You take these things for granted as a football fan.

8 February 2014 AFC Wimbledon 0—3 Rochdale, Scott Hogan hattrick in what was probably the best centre forward performance I've ever seen from a Rochdale striker.

Looking back, we had some very exciting young players, Jack O'Connell, Jamie Allen and an emerging Callum Camps, but we also had some brilliant, honest and talented lower league players [who werent journeymen], and who gave their best. Rose, Vincenti, Done, Lund, Kennedy, even Bunney. You could list plenty more. Golden period which we're probably never going to get back to in my lifetime, which is such a shame.
Never mind the b0llock$.... on 16:35 - May 10 with 4018 viewssamueloneils

Agree with Pioneere thegreatest time I knew was that first promotion season in 1969/70.

I remember one Tuesday night after yet another victory we were top of the new division, level with Luton who had also stormed off at the start.

We has scored 40 goals in the first 18 games, and the record was:

Home, P9 W6 D1 L2

Away P9 W6 D2 L1

Total P18 W12 D3 L3

Although we slumped and finished 9th, I can never forget buying all the dailies just to see us top of the league. Luton went up of course. Stockport relegated with 23 points, and Bradford Park Avenue went out of the FL never to return.
Never mind the b0llock$.... on 18:03 - May 10 with 3922 viewsCockneyDale

Slight tangent - anyone got Evil's free kick v Preston in the FA Cup 3rd round as a video clip? I've looked before and can't find it anywhere
Never mind the b0llock$.... on 18:29 - May 10 with 3895 viewsRodingdale

Paul Simpson away at Rubbish and Dustbuns. A forgotten goal because we lost the return leg, but what a goal and celebration that was.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024