Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton 19:47 - May 17 with 10339 viewsguthrieintherain

Martin now 1/3 fav to land the job.

Poll: What will happen with Morgan Whittaker

Southampton on 21:31 - May 17 with 1853 viewsonehunglow

Southampton on 21:28 - May 17 by vetchonian

dont make promises you cant keep

Don’t believe them Vetchy
Russ is going nowhere
I read it on here

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Southampton on 22:21 - May 17 with 1729 viewsswancity

Southampton on 21:29 - May 17 by Dr_Winston

How much time do you have to research a manager?

With players, clubs seem to take months, even years assessing them. Managers can be appointed in a matter of days, a week or two at the most. If you were looking from the outside, if you hadn't sat through the horrors of November-March you could easily be convinced that RM is the man you need. All depends on whose opinion you seek and what the individuals involved say at interview.

Hell, Cooper got the job here because he convinced Leon, Curt and Birch that he was going to play an attractive brand of attacking football.
[Post edited 17 May 2023 21:31]

😂😂

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Southampton on 22:25 - May 17 with 1722 viewspencoedjack

Southampton on 21:14 - May 17 by Dr_Winston

Been on Twitter much lately? There are loads of them.

& on here just keeping themselves just away from being full on Russy fanboys 👍
Southampton on 22:38 - May 17 with 1700 viewsFireboy2

Southampton on 22:25 - May 17 by pencoedjack

& on here just keeping themselves just away from being full on Russy fanboys 👍

Where on here?
Southampton on 07:52 - May 18 with 1561 viewsmagicdaps10

It's like deja Vue with this board! The silence is a constant as it was with Potter, Cooper and now it seems Martin.......this sitting on their hands and see what happens doesn't do the club any favours, ultimately leaves us with a rebuilding process during a time where our concentration should be put into getting the squad ready for the start of the season. This has become a norm with the club and one that ultimately I think the owners are comfortable with because it delays what really needs to be done to push on.

Lets be fair here, we are not asking miracles here just to be proactive and hands on.
I am happy for Martin to be here first game if the season, I believe there is a manager in there who can deliver but if as it looks that could be happening, Martin gets snapped up by a bigger club then we have to go through the process of getting a new man in but ultimately it hits the important work for a while if getting the first team squad in shape.

Whatever the plan or thought is, all I ask is to get it done quickly so we can move on with the real nitty gritty that is needed.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Southampton on 07:56 - May 18 with 1543 viewsWhiterockin

Southampton on 07:52 - May 18 by magicdaps10

It's like deja Vue with this board! The silence is a constant as it was with Potter, Cooper and now it seems Martin.......this sitting on their hands and see what happens doesn't do the club any favours, ultimately leaves us with a rebuilding process during a time where our concentration should be put into getting the squad ready for the start of the season. This has become a norm with the club and one that ultimately I think the owners are comfortable with because it delays what really needs to be done to push on.

Lets be fair here, we are not asking miracles here just to be proactive and hands on.
I am happy for Martin to be here first game if the season, I believe there is a manager in there who can deliver but if as it looks that could be happening, Martin gets snapped up by a bigger club then we have to go through the process of getting a new man in but ultimately it hits the important work for a while if getting the first team squad in shape.

Whatever the plan or thought is, all I ask is to get it done quickly so we can move on with the real nitty gritty that is needed.

The chairman has not gone on twitter to quell any rumours this time.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Southampton on 08:34 - May 18 with 1471 viewsonehunglow

Southampton on 07:52 - May 18 by magicdaps10

I agree with most of that
If they won’t back him ,then ship him out and get someone in they will.
Good luck with that

Southampton on 08:47 - May 18 with 1450 viewsWhiterockin

Southampton on 08:34 - May 18 by onehunglow

I agree with most of that
If they won’t back him ,then ship him out and get someone in they will.
Good luck with that

They wouldn't back the last two managers, RM would be the third. We failed to get our managerial targets pre Martin because they could not guarantee to be backed. What makes you think they will back the next manager and how easy will it be to get someone decent when we have a reputation for not backing managers. Our remit is buy cheap and sell high to keep the club sustainable.

Unless all this changes with the new "investment" we are yet to see. We have seen the new chairman gobbing off on twitter and since seen or heard nothing.

Login to get fewer ads

Southampton on 09:01 - May 18 with 1435 viewsonehunglow

Southampton on 08:47 - May 18 by Whiterockin

They wouldn't back the last two managers, RM would be the third. We failed to get our managerial targets pre Martin because they could not guarantee to be backed. What makes you think they will back the next manager and how easy will it be to get someone decent when we have a reputation for not backing managers. Our remit is buy cheap and sell high to keep the club sustainable.

Unless all this changes with the new "investment" we are yet to see. We have seen the new chairman gobbing off on twitter and since seen or heard nothing.

Can’t argue with that

Southampton on 09:07 - May 18 with 1431 viewsmagicdaps10

Southampton on 07:56 - May 18 by Whiterockin

The chairman has not gone on twitter to quell any rumours this time.

I would say after that one and only post, someone has told him to keep his fingers off his machine.

Southampton on 10:09 - May 18 with 1380 viewsDr_Winston

I'm not sure how anyone can look at the last financial figures, look at the kind of money being written off and complain about managers not being "backed", as if standing behind Russy and allowing him to keep his job during the Winter (season, not Julian) shitshow wasn't the dictionary definition of it. Never mind letting him spend the thick end of £2m on a defender he now won't pick.

The club will spend what the club can afford to spend. If Russy doesn't like that he can do one.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Southampton on 10:17 - May 18 with 1366 viewsSullutaCreturned

It appears to be a sad fact that despite the owners claimed ambitiions, all they really want is a profitable club.

The fact that promotion to the EPl could be the most profitable thing of all has fauled to get them to support 2 managers enough for them to stay. They initially supported RM but now have put their wallets away, continuing to make promise they fail to keep.

If Martin is to leave then get him gone quickly. Lets not give whoever is next any excuses about pre-season. The owners need to make a statement that unless any approach to Martin is made in the next 2 weeks permission will be refused and he stays here, even if he refuses a new deal. If Martin rails against that it'd just show his true colours. If he's the man many on here seem to think then he'll crack on with no complaints.

The last thing I want, even considering my views on the man is for him to be poached the week before the season starts, or in the first few weeks of it either.
I'll give him the chance to show the last 9 games are the real deal and we'll stick with that way of playing though I am far from convinced.
Southampton on 10:23 - May 18 with 1363 viewsSullutaCreturned

Southampton on 20:51 - May 17 by Whiterockin

Considering he's apparently not very good he seems to be in demand. Possibly the ones who understand football and make decisions can see more than some others. But then again all the talk could be BS.

Not people like the Oystons, Tan or the Ridsdales of this world then?

Who is it that understands football, only people who like Martin? I seem to remember plenty of people moaning when we appointed Brendan Rodgers...who is he, what has he achieved etc.

if only football was so easy to understand and make calls on. It's not like the acknowleged experts ever get it wrong!
Southampton on 11:10 - May 18 with 1327 viewsWhiterockin

Southampton on 10:17 - May 18 by SullutaCreturned

It appears to be a sad fact that despite the owners claimed ambitiions, all they really want is a profitable club.

The fact that promotion to the EPl could be the most profitable thing of all has fauled to get them to support 2 managers enough for them to stay. They initially supported RM but now have put their wallets away, continuing to make promise they fail to keep.

If Martin is to leave then get him gone quickly. Lets not give whoever is next any excuses about pre-season. The owners need to make a statement that unless any approach to Martin is made in the next 2 weeks permission will be refused and he stays here, even if he refuses a new deal. If Martin rails against that it'd just show his true colours. If he's the man many on here seem to think then he'll crack on with no complaints.

The last thing I want, even considering my views on the man is for him to be poached the week before the season starts, or in the first few weeks of it either.
I'll give him the chance to show the last 9 games are the real deal and we'll stick with that way of playing though I am far from convinced.

Personally I think there will be a new contract or he will be gone.

Any new contract IMO would have a much increased settlement figure if he is sacked, in relation to a much higher fee if another club want him, basically pricing him out of many jobs, so unlikely to go on the dawn of a new season.

From the RM point of view I would expect him to want to know what the transfer budget is for this year and who is signing the deals off. On top of this if players are sold how much would be available to re invest. Apparently there is money coming into the club, very few people know how much, the £10M first stated could be way off the mark and it could be much more, more than enough to balance the books for 12 months. I'm all for balancing the books, but if we can afford it let's have a little punt.

Southampton on 11:19 - May 18 with 1313 viewsmagicdaps10

Southampton on 10:23 - May 18 by SullutaCreturned

Not people like the Oystons, Tan or the Ridsdales of this world then?

Who is it that understands football, only people who like Martin? I seem to remember plenty of people moaning when we appointed Brendan Rodgers...who is he, what has he achieved etc.

if only football was so easy to understand and make calls on. It's not like the acknowleged experts ever get it wrong!

Well if they want that and let's be fair, fans will also want that then if they have any ambition then they have to do things differently.......tjey need to be more planned, more proactive and more hands in if they want to succeed.

At the moment it just feels like they want things to happen with very little input and I am not talking financial.

Southampton on 11:19 - May 18 with 1313 viewsFireboy2

Southampton on 10:09 - May 18 by Dr_Winston

I'm not sure how anyone can look at the last financial figures, look at the kind of money being written off and complain about managers not being "backed", as if standing behind Russy and allowing him to keep his job during the Winter (season, not Julian) shitshow wasn't the dictionary definition of it. Never mind letting him spend the thick end of £2m on a defender he now won't pick.

The club will spend what the club can afford to spend. If Russy doesn't like that he can do one.

Well perhaps you should tell people who think we have a divine right in the PL stop moaning and know their place.
Southampton on 11:35 - May 18 with 1288 viewsguthrieintherain

Depends what the definition of backing is we lost 13 million last accounts and the club needs to be here long after Russ and Co have packed up and gone.

Southampton on 11:49 - May 18 with 1277 viewsDr_Winston

Southampton on 11:19 - May 18 by Fireboy2

Well perhaps you should tell people who think we have a divine right in the PL stop moaning and know their place.

Not sure there are many of those. Plenty of people who think we underachieved this season given the squad we have though.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Southampton on 12:01 - May 18 with 1270 viewsFireboy2

Southampton on 11:49 - May 18 by Dr_Winston

Not sure there are many of those. Plenty of people who think we underachieved this season given the squad we have though.

Haha nice one, there are plenty on here who think after only a total of 9 seasons in our 121 year history in the top division that we belong there.

As I have said some people need to stop moaning and know their place.
Southampton on 12:07 - May 18 with 1258 viewsguthrieintherain

Southampton on 11:49 - May 18 by Dr_Winston

Plenty of sides underachieved

Norwich
West Brom
Watford
Stoke
Blackburn

Plus the likes of Burnley Sheff Utd Boro all had bigger budgets.

Our finish was about par for the course.

Luton
Coventry
Sunderland

All over achieved massively.

Our starting 11 plus a couple of subs was very good but the squad depth was lacking.

I said all along Russes project was for Russ and we were secondary same applied at MK Dons the style will always get him up the ladder and that was more important to him than the end result.

Southampton on 12:20 - May 18 with 1224 viewsDr_Winston

Did any of those teams go on a run of 4/5 wins in more than half a season?

Southampton on 12:42 - May 18 with 1188 viewsguthrieintherain

Southampton on 12:20 - May 18 by Dr_Winston

Did any of those teams go on a run of 4/5 wins in more than half a season?

Not sure all clubs will have had ups and downs but over 46 games we finished where we deserved to finish.

Confidence appeared to drop very quickly that's why we could of done with some added experience.

But you can't criticise the bad runs without praiasing the good runs

Otherwise you come accross as having an agenda it needs to be balanced and fair.
[Post edited 18 May 2023 12:44]

Southampton on 13:07 - May 18 with 1150 viewsonehunglow

Southampton on 12:42 - May 18 by guthrieintherain

Not sure all clubs will have had ups and downs but over 46 games we finished where we deserved to finish.

Confidence appeared to drop very quickly that's why we could of done with some added experience.

Otherwise you come accross as having an agenda it needs to be balanced and fair.

The balance we need is for both sides to opine as they see it .
The first is where HE is praised and
Secondly,,where he is questioned or criticised.
Bottom line…HIS selections,tactics and his acquiring an utterly inept keeper have cost us a play off place .

10 th is nowhere .

Coventry or Luton going into the Premier league

Southampton on 13:09 - May 18 with 1144 viewsKeithHaynes

Southampton on 13:07 - May 18 by onehunglow

The balance we need is for both sides to opine as they see it .
The first is where HE is praised and
Secondly,,where he is questioned or criticised.
Bottom line…HIS selections,tactics and his acquiring an utterly inept keeper have cost us a play off place .

10 th is nowhere .

Coventry or Luton going into the Premier league

Not according to the experts.

EPL index -

Martin’s Admirable Track Record at Swansea City

Martin’s managerial record at Swansea City has left a significant impression on Southampton’s board. Martin’s attractive possession-based style combined with his imminent entry into the last year of his contract makes him a promising candidate. Despite the absence of any new signings during the January transfer window, Swansea finished a respectable tenth in the Sky Bet Championship — a mere three points shy of the play-off positions.

Southampton’s Blueprint for Success: The Burnley Model

Southampton has taken inspiration from Burnley’s recent return to the Premier League, demonstrating a transformation to a more possession-heavy, attacking style of play under Vincent Kompany. To further their ambition, the Saints have appointed Jason Wilcox, formerly of Manchester City’s academy, as their director of football.

Regrettably, the club’s attempt to secure the services of Wilcox’s ex-City colleague, Joe Shields, was thwarted when Chelsea swooped in last October. Nevertheless, Southampton’s recent signing policy, focusing on young talent from possession-oriented clubs, remains unchanged. The club’s recent additions include Roméo Lavia, Gavin Bazunu, and Samuel Edozie, all hailing from Manchester City.

Russell Martin: A Proven Proponent of Possession-based Football

Martin, a retired defender with a 15-year playing career predominantly at Norwich City, took his first managerial role at MK Dons post-retirement in 2019. His teams have been known for their possession-centric style of play.

During his last season at MK Dons (2020-21), his side ranked behind only Barcelona and Manchester City for average possession among Europe’s top five leagues. The record-breaking feat of scoring after 56 consecutive passes against Gillingham further highlighted this approach.

This possession philosophy continued in his tenure at Swansea City, highlighted in last month’s impressive 3-0 victory against Norwich City. Martin’s side completed a staggering 888 passes in the match, the second-highest in a fixture among Europe’s top leagues since 2021-22.

The potential appointment of Russell Martin indicates Southampton’s commitment to a more possession-oriented, attractive style of play, aligning with their vision for immediate promotion back to the Premier League.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Southampton on 13:49 - May 18 with 1069 viewsDr_Winston

Southampton on 12:42 - May 18 by guthrieintherain

Most clubs will be able to point to disappointing results or patches of bad form throughout a season. That's a given.

The problem is you can't really praise the good runs of form we went on early and late in the season without considering why the exact same players were so awful in the middle of it.

If discussing the reasons why we had such a horrendous run of form for so long when the players were clearly capable of better is an agenda then so be it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024