Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Moderating on here - advice wanted please 12:30 - Dec 18 with 4716 viewsColDale

I'd say there's a number of issues on here at the moment: leaks, wind up posters and general abusive postings.

I have always said that this board will always be run the way that the people on here want it to be and there is no change to that. There's been no outside influence behind this posting, but the past fornight has been the most bizarre that there's been and not for the first time since last December, it seems this messageboard is at times bigger than the club which is ridiculous. If we're reaching the stage that rumours on here are leading to the manager meeting supporters, then for all the good PR a genuine motive brought with it, it can't be healthy in the long term.

When you've been moderating boards as long as I have, you can usually tell the difference between someone wanting to make a point and someone who is being abusive. You can tell the difference between those with genuine concern and those heading down the abusive stage. We didn't have what we have now in the last days of the Eyre regime where things were in a far worse state than right now. Do I need to start making decisions on what is a wind up and what isn't and deleting posts and banning users? Does freedom of speech come at a price worth paying?

As for the leaks, well there's two issues there. The club need to get their own house in order and ensure that things are kept watertight. The messageboard is an easy target on this but this is nowt but a vehicle to do so. Had it not been here, it would have been on twitter etc, so the source of the leaks is the issue not where the leaks are placed. Secondly, whoever is leaking such will eventually trip themselves up and that will ultimately lead to the end of a career. If someone gets a reputation for leaking information whether directly or indirectly, then no club will ever touch them again. If JC thinks this might be down to a career being stifled as was suggested, further leaks will lead to the end of a career. If I was doing the leaking (and for the record, I'm neither mighty nor scouse), I wouldn't want to risk that.

I'm happy to take on board any advice from people on here with regards what direction we should be taking.
Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 12:38 - Dec 18 with 2797 viewsjudd

Is this a fookin' wind up?

Poll: What is it to be then?

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 12:43 - Dec 18 with 2781 viewslurker

I personally think the ignore button is enough, Col.

Obviously, if things get really silly - and JC's "legal action" comments prove this is sometimes the case - then I trust you to make the necessary decisions in the right manner.

I am sure you would cough up details of people's accounts if you were legally obliged to do so and it is down to the individuals in question to realise the risk they take when they post. If it didn't need to go that far then I believe you have the nouse and power to ban and block individuals from posting their carp.

Carry on!

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 12:49 - Dec 18 with 2751 viewssweetcorn

Rule with an iron fist and take motivation from this man:

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 13:08 - Dec 18 with 2703 viewsdale1968

I think as the moderator and the person that knows a fair few of the genuine Dale Fans who post on here, It may come to a stage where as you say you ban users and delete posts, even if it gets ugly.

I think that forums can be used wisely but also abused by those with unfair intentions.Perhaps IP's and E-Mail Addresses need to be checked more carefully and if necessary action taken.

I don't know but just my two pence worth.

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 13:10 - Dec 18 with 2693 viewsR17ALE

Man up Col. Ban the trolls.

And any new poster shouldn't have the ability to start a new thread until they have proven themselves worthy in your opinion with responses in other threads over a specific time span.

Ban the willy wufter lefties as well!

And have a section where off topic shite can be posted.

Plus a section on which only Tazzy can post!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 13:26 - Dec 18 with 2647 viewsRAFC1907

If the police want to find out who people are etc, they do it quite easily, so if anything so serious was to come up I would say contact them and the rest is history.

Poll: Bottomley...

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 13:27 - Dec 18 with 2645 viewsBigDaveMyCock

It's such a difficult balancing act and I don't envy you. The one thing that I think should be treated extremely carefully is posts which provide addresses and telephone numbers - the Adam66 thread. I wouldn't keep them up personally. There is a real potential for some poor innocent person getting abuse.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 13:30 - Dec 18 with 2623 viewsTTNYear

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 13:27 - Dec 18 by BigDaveMyCock

It's such a difficult balancing act and I don't envy you. The one thing that I think should be treated extremely carefully is posts which provide addresses and telephone numbers - the Adam66 thread. I wouldn't keep them up personally. There is a real potential for some poor innocent person getting abuse.

Or it could genuinely be him and he gets off on the thought of big burly scousers knocking on his door and dog sh*t being posted through his letter box.

Just a thought like

Anti-cliquism is the last refuge of the messageboard scoundrel - Copyright Dorset Dale productions

Login to get fewer ads

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 13:33 - Dec 18 with 2608 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 13:30 - Dec 18 by TTNYear

Or it could genuinely be him and he gets off on the thought of big burly scousers knocking on his door and dog sh*t being posted through his letter box.

Just a thought like

Maybe, but in that unlikely case he needs protecting from himself.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 13:40 - Dec 18 with 2589 viewsste1

I'm generally in favour of the least moderation possible when it comes to messageboards. That said, there is a case to be made for treating the leak stuff differently (i.e. more censoriously) .

On a pale blue dot

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 13:50 - Dec 18 with 2553 viewspaulscho

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 13:40 - Dec 18 by ste1

I'm generally in favour of the least moderation possible when it comes to messageboards. That said, there is a case to be made for treating the leak stuff differently (i.e. more censoriously) .

who ever wrote this can surely not be serious ...

And any new poster shouldn't have the ability to start a new thread until they have proven themselves worthy in your opinion with responses in other threads over a specific time span.

Why not make it a Members only site ,pay a subscription ,or all walk around with one trouser leg rolled up !!!!

livinginadalewonderland

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 13:55 - Dec 18 with 2530 viewsDorsetDale

It's certainly a difficult one. Some posters over the years have done themselves no favours in their first posts but have turned out to be both witty and intelligent in equal measure.

Others have never improved but don't quite reach the level where a ban is in order.

I assume when a banning is in place it's the ip that's denied access not just the name?

To my knowledge there's never been any major hoohaa when threads have been deleted which to me shows you have it just about right.

Carry on that man!

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 13:55 - Dec 18 with 2526 viewsjudd

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 13:30 - Dec 18 by TTNYear

Just a thought like

Moving off at a tangent, I hope someone from the club has checked to see if this guy's details are on the database and have been round his house canvassing Goldbond/selling Xmas draw tickets/pushing Friday's defeat at him?

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 14:02 - Dec 18 with 2508 viewsrafc1984

I say leave it as it is col. Its up to individuals what they read/post. If people post what can be classed as liable/slander whatever, then they will have to suffer the consequences.

But if you are looking to ban anyone, please can it be tazbot and banned4ever.
Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 14:13 - Dec 18 with 2484 viewskirbys

I am a big fan of the forum and accept the fact that when the going gets rough tempers, emotions and maybe inside information is leaked to cause more harm than good.
You have proved to be intelligent and reasonable in your comments and most of us will share the dilemma you face. Call on your common sense, your love for the club and extensive experience with the forum to do whats right.
The vast majority will back you.
Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 14:40 - Dec 18 with 2432 viewsDaley_Lama

Are you Gordon, Are you Gordon, Are you Gordon in disguise?

Never an easy balancing act but as other have said, moderation has never really been complained about in its current format and on the odd occasion where people have asked "where did my post go" its been for the right reason and explained rightly.

For me OTT abusive posts should be deleted
Leaks are a toughie because fans want to know as much as possible but they can be malicious/libellous
People simply talking rubbish should be left well alone, otherwise there would only be three posts per week on here.

Oh, and managers of football clubs should never read football message boards.

Oh, and posters on message boards should remember that they are personally liable for anything they post, forward, link, copy and paste etc on t'interweb.

Poll: DF in or out

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 14:40 - Dec 18 with 2429 viewsD_Alien

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 14:02 - Dec 18 by rafc1984

I say leave it as it is col. Its up to individuals what they read/post. If people post what can be classed as liable/slander whatever, then they will have to suffer the consequences.

I'd tend to agree with that, except JC hinted that the postings about him last year might have resulted in the closing down of the forum*, if he'd decided to take action.

* not sure if this is possible from the legal angle, but nevertheless, the threat was there and who wants to find themselves having to fight a legal battle about it?

In the light of this, I'd say lets keep all options open. If the recent trend of malicious posts continues, we should move towards a first and only warning via email, then a ban.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 14:56 - Dec 18 with 2381 viewsMoonyDale

I detest censorship in any form and would hate to see this board go the way of the bURY board. if posts get personal and abusive as one or two have done in the past there is an ignore button which should suffice. Trolls are easy to spot and their posts are ridiculed pretty swiftly, leave things as they are Col....If it aint broke, don't fix it...

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 15:41 - Dec 18 with 2310 viewsD_Alien

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 14:56 - Dec 18 by MoonyDale

I detest censorship in any form and would hate to see this board go the way of the bURY board. if posts get personal and abusive as one or two have done in the past there is an ignore button which should suffice. Trolls are easy to spot and their posts are ridiculed pretty swiftly, leave things as they are Col....If it aint broke, don't fix it...

Its not about gormless trolls though Moony, it's about malicious posts that are potentially libellous - leaving the messageboard itself at risk of legal action and more importantly, those who moderate it.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 15:53 - Dec 18 with 2292 viewsmizfit

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 13:50 - Dec 18 by paulscho

who ever wrote this can surely not be serious ...

Why not make it a Members only site ,pay a subscription ,or all walk around with one trouser leg rolled up !!!!

That's the worst suggestion ever only people letting post threads when deemed worthy
What's deemed worthy?
A new poster therefore would have to go along with popular opinion how's that fair when running a forum?
Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 15:55 - Dec 18 with 2286 viewsDaleAwaydayBot

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 14:02 - Dec 18 by rafc1984

why should i be banned most people love my Away Day Review's & Guide's what are very helpful to Supporters (Fans)

After 3457 forum posts, 11 news comments & 1 match report....The Rochdale Information Robot were Born!!!

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 16:14 - Dec 18 with 2247 viewslurker

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 15:55 - Dec 18 by DaleAwaydayBot

why should i be banned most people love my Away Day Review's & Guide's what are very helpful to Supporters (Fans)

He didn't say to ban you Taz lad. In fact, he said you should have your own sub-forum, which is a compliment of the highest order!

I'm with Razzle, let him have his own section of the forum ..... let's get Tazzy sectioned!!
Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 16:17 - Dec 18 with 2229 viewsjudd

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 16:14 - Dec 18 by lurker

He didn't say to ban you Taz lad. In fact, he said you should have your own sub-forum, which is a compliment of the highest order!

I'm with Razzle, let him have his own section of the forum ..... let's get Tazzy sectioned!!

rafc1984 suggested banning Tazzy and banned4ever.

Let 'em be.

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 16:21 - Dec 18 with 2215 viewsDaleAwaydayBot

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 16:14 - Dec 18 by lurker

sounds decent but wouldn't a thing like that take ages to make the RFU site took me almost a month get it right

After 3457 forum posts, 11 news comments & 1 match report....The Rochdale Information Robot were Born!!!

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 16:21 - Dec 18 with 2214 viewsMoonyDale

Moderating on here - advice wanted please on 15:41 - Dec 18 by D_Alien

Its not about gormless trolls though Moony, it's about malicious posts that are potentially libellous - leaving the messageboard itself at risk of legal action and more importantly, those who moderate it.

They should be banned D alien, if they post anything that could be deemed libellous then kick em off, for anything else a simple email from Col to the offending party should be enough to sort it. I wouldn't go down the bURY route no matter what. if we were to go that way can you imagine the state of this board? hardly anyone would be left on here as at one time or another most of us have have ding dongs and said things we wished we hadn't. There are a couple on here who go over the top with insults and language but they all add to the flavour of the forum and I would hate that to be diluted (in a deluded Vimto kinda way)

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024