Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lest we forget 10:38 - Jul 1 with 3275 views49thseason

Lest we forget on 18:34 - Jul 1 with 3185 views1mark1

Courageous lions led by donkeys.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Lest we forget on 18:46 - Jul 1 with 3168 viewsBigDaveMyCock

I don't know if anyone else saw the ghost soldiers in Manchester today? What a fantastic, if that's the right word, idea/exhibition. Just walking along to pick a sandwich and there was a battalion of first world war soldiers stood there near St. Anne's Square looking apprehensive. The actors were great by the way. I stood there to look and take it in and one of them came up and handed me a card with the words "Captain Stanley Kenworthy 17th Battalion Manchester Regiment Died at the Somme on 1st July 1916 Aged 32 years."

A wonderfully humiliating experience and the best bit of art I've ever witnessed. You have been remembered Captain Kenworthy.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2016 18:49]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Lest we forget on 19:00 - Jul 1 with 3164 viewsArthurDaley

I have the death plaque of my mums Uncle Hugh Taylor, don't know where he died, all I know is their gun blew up. So I think he was in the artillery.

A large VAT Dave

Lest we forget on 19:35 - Jul 1 with 3139 viewsSaxonDale

Lest we forget on 18:34 - Jul 1 by 1mark1

Courageous lions led by donkeys.

An often used line. Lions? Certainly. Donkeys? Over the course of the war that's debatable. Planning and strategy was certainly more complex and advanced than the 'walk in a straight line to your death' myth paints. This was a time when strategies like Blitzkreig, the deployment of tanks, spy planes etc was all first successfully introduced.

Having said that the Somme (particularly Day 1) can be seen as disaster.
Lest we forget on 19:46 - Jul 1 with 3133 views1mark1

Lest we forget on 19:35 - Jul 1 by SaxonDale

An often used line. Lions? Certainly. Donkeys? Over the course of the war that's debatable. Planning and strategy was certainly more complex and advanced than the 'walk in a straight line to your death' myth paints. This was a time when strategies like Blitzkreig, the deployment of tanks, spy planes etc was all first successfully introduced.

Having said that the Somme (particularly Day 1) can be seen as disaster.

I am talking about the specific Battle of the Somme beginning. Maybe after the initial disaster, the leaders got their act together. Just criminal that so many had to lose their lives due to the imcompetance of the so called leaders.

I will be honest and say my knowledge of war tactics is not very good.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Lest we forget on 19:55 - Jul 1 with 3128 viewsArthurDaley

A large VAT Dave

Lest we forget on 20:07 - Jul 1 with 3113 viewsMoonyDale

Lest we forget on 18:46 - Jul 1 by BigDaveMyCock

I don't know if anyone else saw the ghost soldiers in Manchester today? What a fantastic, if that's the right word, idea/exhibition. Just walking along to pick a sandwich and there was a battalion of first world war soldiers stood there near St. Anne's Square looking apprehensive. The actors were great by the way. I stood there to look and take it in and one of them came up and handed me a card with the words "Captain Stanley Kenworthy 17th Battalion Manchester Regiment Died at the Somme on 1st July 1916 Aged 32 years."

A wonderfully humiliating experience and the best bit of art I've ever witnessed. You have been remembered Captain Kenworthy.

Without doubt the most heart rending moving yet dignified tribute I have ever seen. Simply stunning...

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Lest we forget on 21:55 - Jul 1 with 3077 viewsmingthemerciless

A good film about WW 1 - " Paths Of Glory " by Stanley Kubrick with Kirk Douglas in the lead role.
Login to get fewer ads

Lest we forget on 22:14 - Jul 1 with 3064 viewsR17ALE

Lest we forget on 19:46 - Jul 1 by 1mark1

I am talking about the specific Battle of the Somme beginning. Maybe after the initial disaster, the leaders got their act together. Just criminal that so many had to lose their lives due to the imcompetance of the so called leaders.

I will be honest and say my knowledge of war tactics is not very good.

My knowledge of war tactics isn't very good either, but I reckon I'd have thought it was a poor idea to blow a load of very loud whistles to alert our lads they needed to abandon their cover, climb out of the trenches, and walk towards the waiting enemy who had machine guns.

After 20,000 died on the first use of this tactic, I'm certain I'd have thought it was a very poor tactic by day 2.

And I'm not a war person nor do I have my war badges!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Lest we forget on 22:18 - Jul 1 with 3057 viewsTVOS1907

Lest we forget on 22:14 - Jul 1 by R17ALE

My knowledge of war tactics isn't very good either, but I reckon I'd have thought it was a poor idea to blow a load of very loud whistles to alert our lads they needed to abandon their cover, climb out of the trenches, and walk towards the waiting enemy who had machine guns.

After 20,000 died on the first use of this tactic, I'm certain I'd have thought it was a very poor tactic by day 2.

And I'm not a war person nor do I have my war badges!

I agree

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Lest we forget on 22:56 - Jul 1 with 3029 viewsTalkingSutty

Driving around this morning listening to radio 5 who dedicated a few hours to the battle and what a time of reflection that was. The fattest rats you've ever seen after gorging on the multitude of dead bodies, fields full of maggots,it really brought it home.

We are the lucky ones, living through relatively peaceful times. None of our kids having to go and fight on the front line, a lot of them were just mates who wanted to help out, literally cannon fodder. It makes you realise how lucky we are are, we've got bugger all to moan about and should thank our lucky stars. Worrying for decades about the Dale staying in the Football League is a bit pathetic in the full scheme of things, it's ridiculous.
Lest we forget on 23:14 - Jul 1 with 3005 viewsR17ALE

Lest we forget on 22:56 - Jul 1 by TalkingSutty

Driving around this morning listening to radio 5 who dedicated a few hours to the battle and what a time of reflection that was. The fattest rats you've ever seen after gorging on the multitude of dead bodies, fields full of maggots,it really brought it home.

We are the lucky ones, living through relatively peaceful times. None of our kids having to go and fight on the front line, a lot of them were just mates who wanted to help out, literally cannon fodder. It makes you realise how lucky we are are, we've got bugger all to moan about and should thank our lucky stars. Worrying for decades about the Dale staying in the Football League is a bit pathetic in the full scheme of things, it's ridiculous.

No it's not.

I thank those who gave their lives for me to spend all those decades worrying about the Dale. Without them, we'd never have had a club.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Lest we forget on 23:25 - Jul 1 with 2989 viewsTalkingSutty

Lest we forget on 23:14 - Jul 1 by R17ALE

No it's not.

I thank those who gave their lives for me to spend all those decades worrying about the Dale. Without them, we'd never have had a club.

True, but you know what I mean. I agree about the tactics also, a drone would have been great.
Lest we forget on 23:47 - Jul 1 with 2962 viewsD_Alien

The artillery bombardment that preceded 1st July 1916 lasted a week, non stop. Over a quarter of a million shells were fired at the German lines (some still being found, unexploded) and when the advance came, our generals had every reason to believe it'd be a walk across undefended territory.

They were wrong.

The portrayal of WW1 soldiers in Manc today was a brilliant concept (thanks for describing it BDMC) - wish I'd seen it. What i hated was the chaplain delivering his sermon in Manc cathedral and using the words "they died in vain" What a tw@t. They did not.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Lest we forget on 01:27 - Jul 2 with 2928 viewsSaxonDale

Lest we forget on 22:18 - Jul 1 by TVOS1907

I agree

Me too.

At no point during the Somme however were soldiers ordered to walk across no-mans land, many simply chose to because of supreme confidence (due to the previous weeks bombing) or because of the sheer weight of many rucksacks which troops were forced to carry.

Many myths of WW1 are still used in society frequently today, for example the 'it'll be over by Christmas' line was never seriously considererd by top Government officials-If it was why would they actively seek to expand their army with conscripts (which needed at least 3 months training) with the 'Your country needs you' posters?
[Post edited 2 Jul 2016 1:50]
Lest we forget on 01:39 - Jul 2 with 2924 viewsSaxonDale

Lest we forget on 23:47 - Jul 1 by D_Alien

The artillery bombardment that preceded 1st July 1916 lasted a week, non stop. Over a quarter of a million shells were fired at the German lines (some still being found, unexploded) and when the advance came, our generals had every reason to believe it'd be a walk across undefended territory.

They were wrong.

The portrayal of WW1 soldiers in Manc today was a brilliant concept (thanks for describing it BDMC) - wish I'd seen it. What i hated was the chaplain delivering his sermon in Manc cathedral and using the words "they died in vain" What a tw@t. They did not.

One General was so confident he was seen kicking a football over no-man's land!
Lest we forget on 03:29 - Jul 2 with 2898 viewspioneer

Lest we forget on 19:00 - Jul 1 by ArthurDaley

I have the death plaque of my mums Uncle Hugh Taylor, don't know where he died, all I know is their gun blew up. So I think he was in the artillery.

If you write to the ministry of defence with details of his full name, date of birth and anything else you know about him they will trace him in their records and provide you with details of where he died and where he is buried, if those details are known. They will also provide any unclaimed medals.

I did this for my dads records. He was in the eigth army in North Africa in WW2 and survived but never spoke about his experience and never claimed his medals before he died. The medals arrived just before my mother passed away.
Lest we forget on 11:50 - Jul 2 with 2844 viewsDiddyDave

Two books;The Manchester Pals,and The Salford Pals,are well worth a read if you can still get them. Both written by Michael Stedman,The Salford Pals is more about the Lancashire Fusiliers,many Rochdale blokes being mentioned. My late father provided several items for Stedman to include in The Manchester Pals book,his father,who was badly wounded in 1915,joined up with twenty Pals,of whom only three survived the war. Dad wrote an epitaph on the front page;"This is a book of noble patriotism,Of an age gone by,Of rich and poor men,In comradeship went to war,Left all that was dear to them,Of deep suffering and endurance,Treat this book with reverence,Most of all with remembrance." I think it says it all.
Lest we forget on 14:38 - Jul 2 with 2805 viewselectricblue

I have nothing but the utmost respect for those thousands for brave soldiers over the decades who died so that we can have what we have today....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Lest we forget on 16:33 - Jul 2 with 2753 viewsDaleiLama

Lest we forget on 18:46 - Jul 1 by BigDaveMyCock

Thanks for relating.
Not having a dig - just curious - did you mean humiliating or humbling?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024