Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bitter taste about Sweetmore 11:20 - Apr 30 with 49392 viewsswiggy

Apparently Dave Sweetmore has been given his job back for next season despite the club announcing Eden Bearshaw as his replacement. What a sad day for the integrity of RAFC. How can you give someone a job and then give back word on the last day of the season, this leaves a very bitter taste on a day that could go down in the clubs history. Trust has been severely compromised and I'm sure this will have a negative affect on season ticket sales. I for one had been a certainty but am now thinking of not purchasing. Sad sad day for the club.
Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 22:32 - May 1 with 4297 viewsAtThePeake

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 21:34 - May 1 by TTNYear

Of what I know Eden comes home early from holiday to assist and learn the ropes. Called into the club to be told by a club employee, not Russ the fella who told him he got the position and was photographed with in the paper etc., that they had handed the job back to sweetmore. Yes he was offered a lesser roll... the half time on the field nonsense, but quite rightly declined as to be fair is not what he was offered originally. Eden returned to the Cem, gutted and miffed in equal measure, but still went to the game and quite honourably in the circumstances went to the evening awards ceremony, and as far as I'm aware even then was not approached by Russ for neither an explaination or apology.

Eden could really kick up an almighty stink but has chose to keep his council.

For me it's such an easy problem to rectify. But the longer it goes on or god forbid the decision remains, then the messier it gets...

These are facts, unless Eden is fantastically good at fabricating lies minutes after being slapped in the face with a big wet fish. Personally I don't think the club, Russ or Sweetmore come out looking very good about this but there you go... I have a feeling that they know that.

Unfortunately I've already put down my deposit on a season ticket but instead of paying the rest of it off I think I will donate it to Eden to help pay for the cost of his re-arranged flights, laptop and indeed loss of hours in his current job.

Disgraceful the way the club have treated a loyal fan.

Tangled up in blue.

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 22:44 - May 1 with 4244 viewsAtThePeake

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 22:24 - May 1 by D_Alien

The club should be given the opportunity to apologise to Eden and make good their offer, but I agree, it'd not be easy to accept

A free ST for Eden to give away at a local school would be a great publicity shot to kickstart his new role

Edit - the thumbs down was accidental, soz
[Post edited 1 May 2017 22:26]

As some of you know Eden is a good friend of mine and he actually told me a couple of days after he got the job, before Dave had decided to return from the lake district, that he had suggested to the club in an email that he would buy a season ticket out of his own pocket anyway to offer out to the community...

Tells you all you need to know about his passion for the club and for him to make the sacrifices he has made and to make an offer like that to the club and still be treated in the way he has absolutely stinks.

Tangled up in blue.

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 23:19 - May 1 with 4130 viewsjudd

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 22:44 - May 1 by AtThePeake

As some of you know Eden is a good friend of mine and he actually told me a couple of days after he got the job, before Dave had decided to return from the lake district, that he had suggested to the club in an email that he would buy a season ticket out of his own pocket anyway to offer out to the community...

Tells you all you need to know about his passion for the club and for him to make the sacrifices he has made and to make an offer like that to the club and still be treated in the way he has absolutely stinks.

I was just going to post that offer of Edens in response to Dalien. I hope Eden doesn't mind me posting this. He offered to buy a season ticket to give to the community as the directors are doing. Match that please Mr Sweetmore.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 00:18 - May 2 with 4021 viewskiwidale

can somebody cleverer than me post an edited video of jeff stellings rant telling dave (sweetmore not Jones) to go now?... pretty please.
[Post edited 2 May 2017 0:20]

This is not the time for bickering.

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 07:50 - May 2 with 3792 viewsscooby

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 22:26 - May 1 by nordenblue

With a £110 "admin" charge?

In all fairness I hope it's sorted to everyone's satisfaction....it's not something I've had to deal with in my sort of work but the Mrs informs me it's very common for companies to offer someone a specific job to then withdraw it when certain factors change or someone different then becomes available again

this is true, at my last company i did this twice. TBF both times due to redundancies being announced post job offer, and HR paid the months notice, but as the contract hasn't started I'm not sure that was even required, but then i am not a HR expert.

It's the same as being the candidate and deciding not turning up on the start date even if the contract signed, nothing the company can do and very few would bother trying. You can also rescind a notice if the company is willing to accept.
Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 08:20 - May 2 with 3706 viewsD_Alien

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 07:50 - May 2 by scooby

this is true, at my last company i did this twice. TBF both times due to redundancies being announced post job offer, and HR paid the months notice, but as the contract hasn't started I'm not sure that was even required, but then i am not a HR expert.

It's the same as being the candidate and deciding not turning up on the start date even if the contract signed, nothing the company can do and very few would bother trying. You can also rescind a notice if the company is willing to accept.

Whilst that may be true of some areas of the corporate world - and i'm familiar with it - we're talking here about a club that tries to espouse the TeamRochdale ethos, which the betrayal of Eden has shattered into a thousand pieces

When they try to shaft Eden, they shaft us all

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 08:34 - May 2 with 3672 viewsDaleiLama

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 07:50 - May 2 by scooby

To my mind there is a legal and moral issue here.

From what I have heard second-hand, Eden doesn't seem like the sort to pursue a compo claim even if there were grounds to do so and has behaved impeccably. I cannot believe it would be worth all the hassle and bad feeling either.

As the OP pointed out and was bang on, the main issue here is the integrity of the club. This fact seemed to escape the Bury fan who posted on here, or it was so low on his totem it didn't seem to be an issue for him. For most right minded Dale fans though, it is a very big deal. Fair, right and proper could be added to Integrity as being at the heart of this matter and these are ideals and principles taught to most of us from birth. They can not and should not be compromised.
[Post edited 2 May 2017 8:36]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 12:38 - May 2 with 3350 viewsLongTimeDaleFan

If it is correct that the Club have given Dave Sweetmore his job back when they had appointed someone else I am extremely surprised and disappointed that the Club have agreed to this . From a personal point of view I am not happy - I will have to go back to my ear plugs again!
Login to get fewer ads

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 13:59 - May 2 with 3148 viewsupthedale

Firstly, I think it's unbelievable the way the club have handled this - from the decision itself to the way it seems Eden was told (or even not actually "told"!).

I think we all agree that Eden should have the job, it should never even have been a debate or decision to be made. He's owed a massive apology by the club.

However, assuming Dave didn't actually ask for his job back, I think some of the comments on here are uncalled for and shouldn't have got personal. He supports Rochdale (whether or not all his life, I don't know, but I don't think it's that unusual or that bad of an offence for someone to support a different team at some point in their life) and does bring in business with his events. I agree that the music is far too loud in the TDS, but it seems that's not his fault. I enjoy the music, but fair enough I know it's not everyone's taste - but I don't think that justifies some of the comments.

....that is assuming he didn't ask for the job back of course! And I take the point he should have said no, but most of us don't know the full details of what's gone on there.
Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 17:11 - May 2 with 2880 viewsBrierls

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 13:50 - May 1 by D_Dale

I appreciate that you took the trouble and talked to the guy - DS - but I'm not really any the wiser about just what he said. Maybe the JD explains that.

Did he ask for the job back? Or did the club approach him? Did he know it had been offered to someone else? (Had it in fact been formally offered?) Who at the club dealt with the matter? Did neither he, DS, or the persons ('those involved') at the club, not anticipate the row that's occurred? Does he feel he shouldn't have taken it on again? And in what sense have you 'seen right through it'? Are you still not sure what the truth is?

Btw, I assume D_Alien hasn't had a reply to his email.

I didn't really want to quote Sweetmore, but if things are being said elsewhere its obviously not a secret. The general jist was...

- He didn't ask for his job back
- He had offers from other clubs
- The club didn't like that so they approached him
- When people asked if he was coming back to Dale, he didn't say anything because the club asked him to remain silent
- He offered the opportunity to 'let' Eden do the announcements, while he continued with the music. With Eden 'covering' when he couldn't make it due to other commitments.

Basically, his version of events was it is all the clubs doing. I think and hope that's bollocks and I've seen right through it, because the alternative is some person/people within the club wouldn't know a moral compass if it smashed them in the face. That is why I'm so pissed off about the whole sorry episode.

Sweetmore did know the job had been offered and accepted by Eden, he was fully involved in the recruitment process. He is also fully aware that the job was the full role, not just making the announcements. He didn't seem to see the problem or understand the shitstorm it has created. I wouldn't expect him to "do the right thing" because I'm not sure he knows he's done anything wrong.

The club's silence on this is deafening. If they are planning to make a statement on this it would be a shame if they tried to bury it on a 'news' day.
[Post edited 2 May 2017 17:30]
Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 17:32 - May 2 with 2803 viewsNafelad

Reading between the lines, it seems that the club are not in tune with the general feeling amongst fans - I'd be interested in knowing why the club think DS is that good that they must reappoint him, given the opportunity.

On the field it's been a "what might have been" type of season - now I'm thinking the same in regard to the tannoy situation.

Topcat

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 18:04 - May 2 with 2664 viewsTVOS1907

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 17:11 - May 2 by Brierls

I didn't really want to quote Sweetmore, but if things are being said elsewhere its obviously not a secret. The general jist was...

- He didn't ask for his job back
- He had offers from other clubs
- The club didn't like that so they approached him
- When people asked if he was coming back to Dale, he didn't say anything because the club asked him to remain silent
- He offered the opportunity to 'let' Eden do the announcements, while he continued with the music. With Eden 'covering' when he couldn't make it due to other commitments.

Basically, his version of events was it is all the clubs doing. I think and hope that's bollocks and I've seen right through it, because the alternative is some person/people within the club wouldn't know a moral compass if it smashed them in the face. That is why I'm so pissed off about the whole sorry episode.

Sweetmore did know the job had been offered and accepted by Eden, he was fully involved in the recruitment process. He is also fully aware that the job was the full role, not just making the announcements. He didn't seem to see the problem or understand the shitstorm it has created. I wouldn't expect him to "do the right thing" because I'm not sure he knows he's done anything wrong.

The club's silence on this is deafening. If they are planning to make a statement on this it would be a shame if they tried to bury it on a 'news' day.
[Post edited 2 May 2017 17:30]

Anyone just landing on your post, Breels, would think it was about a player.

Offers from other clubs? Yeah, me too.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 18:08 - May 2 with 2642 viewsssimp62

First time poster here, regular reader.

I have been coming to Dale games for 10 years and sit in the main stand with my brother and his son.

I felt the need to respond to this post, in disgust at some of these comments after meeting Sweetmore at the presentation night.

Firstly - i'm not a fan of his music, but i do appreciate how many fans are and how much publicity we get. I'd never spoke to him before Sunday but had seen him around the club, with a recognisable swagger and attitude that reminds me very much of Keith Hill.

He has been a long serving, and in most parts well respected servant to this club, and i would suggest there has never been, or never will be, a tannoy man in any of the football leagues that has got his club as much excellent media attention and exposure over the years. Sky Sports announcing his departure - has that ever happened with any other people in his role? will it ever happen again? The number of people i witnessed asking for their picture with him on Sunday showed to me how liked he is by the majority.

After seeing his tweet that night (now deleted) asking somebody to speak to his face rather than by social media i decided to myself go and meet the man. I didnt know what to expect, but what i got was the most approachable individual i could wish to meet.

I asked him about the situation in which he was obviously very saddened. He told me on the club finding out he was staying in the area, THEY had asked him to remain in the job. Other clubs (he said three) had offered him work when his statement was released about staying in Rochdale, but after being asked by Dale to stay he turned them down to remain here. He asked what the situation would be with the new gentleman and was told he would be offered to work alongside him. Sweetmore didn't want him to be 'just fired off' as he put it. The club agreed but couldn't speak to the new chap as he was on holiday.

On Sunday, the appointed person (Eden??) was called into the office on arrival where he was told Sweetmore would be staying (something which he had already been told was a possibility before his holiday). Agreed the club were wrong to tell him on the last day of the season.

Sweetmore then said that the new person had been asked to stay on and do announcements, working with him as he did the music. Dave told me he thought this would be a great idea and that the new chap was going to be a huge success.

Eden? (sorry if thats wrong) then changed his mind and walked out. I perhaps shouldnt write this but Sweetmore told me he had later asked Eden to meet him the the Dale bar after the game for a chat, as he had planned on offering to help him progress with his media career and give him some advice and ideas, through his own contacts. Eden declined.

I feel the abuse given to our current tannoyman is uncalled for, the amount he has done for this club, both across the media and with the events he hosts (i've never been but i really hope he doesn't stop if he reads this forum, i wouldn't blame him)

I did ask him if he did read the message boards and he said 'no i cant be doing with it its all negativity'

The newly appointed matchday announcer / tannoy person is obviously a friend of the handful of people who post in this group. The way the club have dealt with this is wrong. A statement needs to be made. It seems quite obvious they want our current man to remain in the role, which i for one fully understand.

Dave Sweetmore is / has been / will hopefully continue to be a great public ambassador for this club and if you cant see that then you must be very narrow minded.

My brother and i were excited to be hearing a new voice at spotland but were also happy when we found out our current man was staying.

I get that you are all friends with the new / maybe new tannoyman but some of the junk written on here is frankly embarrassing to the club.

Sweetmore is well respected in many parts and IF he has left we should be wishing him every success. IF he stays we should be grateful for the media exposure he gets the club.

As for Eden - lets hope something can be sorted, i dont know what, but the club need to make a decision and tell the fans NOW.

We are meant to support our club in any decision they make. This forum makes it seem like a forum versus club, constantly.

Its been handled badly - yes. But lets support the club - they know how to run a successful club, we don't.

The more i think about it and read, the more i hope Sweetmore stays. (But sorts out the awful sound system).

Up The Dale.
Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 18:08 - May 2 with 2640 views442Dale

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 18:04 - May 2 by TVOS1907

Anyone just landing on your post, Breels, would think it was about a player.

Offers from other clubs? Yeah, me too.

When you get a move to Oldham can you bring me along a la Barrow's signings following him en masse?

I'd love to analyse the time they thought wearing red at West Ham was a good idea.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 18:28 - May 2 with 2566 viewsD_Alien

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 18:08 - May 2 by ssimp62

I have been coming to Dale games for 10 years and sit in the main stand with my brother and his son.

I felt the need to respond to this post, in disgust at some of these comments after meeting Sweetmore at the presentation night.

Firstly - i'm not a fan of his music, but i do appreciate how many fans are and how much publicity we get. I'd never spoke to him before Sunday but had seen him around the club, with a recognisable swagger and attitude that reminds me very much of Keith Hill.

He has been a long serving, and in most parts well respected servant to this club, and i would suggest there has never been, or never will be, a tannoy man in any of the football leagues that has got his club as much excellent media attention and exposure over the years. Sky Sports announcing his departure - has that ever happened with any other people in his role? will it ever happen again? The number of people i witnessed asking for their picture with him on Sunday showed to me how liked he is by the majority.

After seeing his tweet that night (now deleted) asking somebody to speak to his face rather than by social media i decided to myself go and meet the man. I didnt know what to expect, but what i got was the most approachable individual i could wish to meet.

I asked him about the situation in which he was obviously very saddened. He told me on the club finding out he was staying in the area, THEY had asked him to remain in the job. Other clubs (he said three) had offered him work when his statement was released about staying in Rochdale, but after being asked by Dale to stay he turned them down to remain here. He asked what the situation would be with the new gentleman and was told he would be offered to work alongside him. Sweetmore didn't want him to be 'just fired off' as he put it. The club agreed but couldn't speak to the new chap as he was on holiday.

On Sunday, the appointed person (Eden??) was called into the office on arrival where he was told Sweetmore would be staying (something which he had already been told was a possibility before his holiday). Agreed the club were wrong to tell him on the last day of the season.

Sweetmore then said that the new person had been asked to stay on and do announcements, working with him as he did the music. Dave told me he thought this would be a great idea and that the new chap was going to be a huge success.

Eden? (sorry if thats wrong) then changed his mind and walked out. I perhaps shouldnt write this but Sweetmore told me he had later asked Eden to meet him the the Dale bar after the game for a chat, as he had planned on offering to help him progress with his media career and give him some advice and ideas, through his own contacts. Eden declined.

I feel the abuse given to our current tannoyman is uncalled for, the amount he has done for this club, both across the media and with the events he hosts (i've never been but i really hope he doesn't stop if he reads this forum, i wouldn't blame him)

I did ask him if he did read the message boards and he said 'no i cant be doing with it its all negativity'

The newly appointed matchday announcer / tannoy person is obviously a friend of the handful of people who post in this group. The way the club have dealt with this is wrong. A statement needs to be made. It seems quite obvious they want our current man to remain in the role, which i for one fully understand.

Dave Sweetmore is / has been / will hopefully continue to be a great public ambassador for this club and if you cant see that then you must be very narrow minded.

My brother and i were excited to be hearing a new voice at spotland but were also happy when we found out our current man was staying.

I get that you are all friends with the new / maybe new tannoyman but some of the junk written on here is frankly embarrassing to the club.

Sweetmore is well respected in many parts and IF he has left we should be wishing him every success. IF he stays we should be grateful for the media exposure he gets the club.

As for Eden - lets hope something can be sorted, i dont know what, but the club need to make a decision and tell the fans NOW.

We are meant to support our club in any decision they make. This forum makes it seem like a forum versus club, constantly.

Its been handled badly - yes. But lets support the club - they know how to run a successful club, we don't.

The more i think about it and read, the more i hope Sweetmore stays. (But sorts out the awful sound system).

Up The Dale.

I'm neither friends with, or have ever met, either Eden Bearshaw or Dave Sweetmore

Neither do I need to know the sequence of events, or who instigated the attempt to give Sweetmore a job which was no longer vacant

Nor do I care what his reputation within the arcane world of matchday tannoymen might be

What I know is this: Eden Bearshaw was featured on the OS with Russ Green, and lauded as the welcome new voice of Dale matchday, only to be subsequently treated in an extremely shabby way by a club which makes great play (these days) about TeamRochdale and "family values" yet when push comes to shove will quite happily shove a talented young person aside

Are those your values too? You're welcome to them, sir

[Post edited 2 May 2017 18:29]

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 18:32 - May 2 with 2545 viewsssimp62

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 18:28 - May 2 by D_Alien

I'm neither friends with, or have ever met, either Eden Bearshaw or Dave Sweetmore

Neither do I need to know the sequence of events, or who instigated the attempt to give Sweetmore a job which was no longer vacant

Nor do I care what his reputation within the arcane world of matchday tannoymen might be

What I know is this: Eden Bearshaw was featured on the OS with Russ Green, and lauded as the welcome new voice of Dale matchday, only to be subsequently treated in an extremely shabby way by a club which makes great play (these days) about TeamRochdale and "family values" yet when push comes to shove will quite happily shove a talented young person aside

Are those your values too? You're welcome to them, sir

[Post edited 2 May 2017 18:29]

My friend i agree with you about the way in which the club have handled this situation, and the way Eden has (allegedly) been treated, the point i make is the disrespect on this forum for Dave Sweetmore is also just as uncalled for.
Steve.
Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 18:33 - May 2 with 2532 viewsD_Alien

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 18:32 - May 2 by ssimp62

My friend i agree with you about the way in which the club have handled this situation, and the way Eden has (allegedly) been treated, the point i make is the disrespect on this forum for Dave Sweetmore is also just as uncalled for.
Steve.

That will be incredibly easy to rectify

All he needs to do is the decent thing and thank the club for their offer but decline it

[Post edited 2 May 2017 18:33]

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 18:34 - May 2 with 2514 viewsjudd

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 18:08 - May 2 by ssimp62

Up The Dale.

Dave is a cracking bloke to talk to.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 18:35 - May 2 with 2505 viewsssimp62

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 18:33 - May 2 by D_Alien

That will be incredibly easy to rectify

All he needs to do is the decent thing and thank the club for their offer but decline it

[Post edited 2 May 2017 18:33]

We dont know he wont. We don't know if Eden would still want the job.
A statement needs to be made by all three parties in my opinion.
Until that happens none of us know what the outcome will be.
Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 18:38 - May 2 with 2476 viewsD_Alien

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 18:35 - May 2 by ssimp62

The ball is in Dave's court, no statement needed until he's declined the job, after which the club should indeed explain themselves alongside their apology to Eden

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 18:41 - May 2 with 2449 views442Dale

Others can comment on the specific situation here but would like to address this:

<<"We are meant to support our club in any decision they make. This forum makes it seem like a forum versus club, constantly.">>

No we aren't. Should we have supported them over season ticket prices last season? Supported them when they laughably tried to explain how a free kids ticket had an admin fee? We wouldn't be where we are today, with a fantastic promotion that is attempting to increase crowds without this forum and the many supporters who contribute a wide variety of views. Those views are often very supportive of the club (see the thread at the top of the board), others offer constructive criticism; yours being a very good example as you stress possible mistakes the club have made.

This forum is crucial to Rochdale Football Club. And we should be grateful that they accept that too. If not, nobody would be reading it.
[Post edited 2 May 2017 18:43]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 18:53 - May 2 with 2372 viewsSandyDrum

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 18:38 - May 2 by D_Alien

The ball is in Dave's court, no statement needed until he's declined the job, after which the club should indeed explain themselves alongside their apology to Eden

Absolutely seconded.

The sad thing now is that Sweetmore will probably think he's untouchable, he's made his own bed and needs to lie in it.

Anybody with a moral compass would have passed on their best wishes to Eden and taken up the offer from one of the other clubs where there was obviously a vacant position. Not accepted the already filled and paraded role at Rochdale.

Wish I'd chosen a different username...

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 19:01 - May 2 with 2305 viewspioneer

"We are meant to support our club in any decision they make"

Are you sure you are not from t'other side of heywood?

So board decides to sell ground to property developer - fans should support the decision?

By the way - its not 'our club' - the club is owned by shareholders. Unless you own shares you are a mere customer buying the product on offer.
Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 19:06 - May 2 with 2262 viewsNafelad

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 18:35 - May 2 by ssimp62

I wouldn't still want the job, if I was Eden!!

Topcat

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 19:24 - May 2 with 2171 viewsD_Alien

Bitter taste about Sweetmore on 19:06 - May 2 by Nafelad

I wouldn't still want the job, if I was Eden!!

Can't we just let the young man make his own mind up?

I know your post is well-meaning and not meant to directly influence him, but if I was in his position I'd be taking advice from those I trusted but then making my own decision

First and foremost, an apology is required. How that's handled will go a long way towards the eventual outcome

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024