Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Irish General Election 15:42 - Feb 9 with 16171 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Seismic shift to the left in Ireland today.

Exit polls suggesting that left parties are heading for 45% of the vote.

So many fascinating issues arising now:

Are Sinn Féin now on a par with the right-wing monoliths of Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael?
Will either of them get into coalition-bed with Sinn Féin?
Can Sinn Féin be trusted in Government?
Have Sinn Féin left violence behind?
Will Ireland, could Ireland, actually have a Left-Wing Government in the near future?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Irish General Election on 09:26 - Feb 11 with 1785 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Irish General Election on 09:01 - Feb 11 by WatfordR

I know they say a week is a long time in politics, but it seems a FF/FG government will only ultimately strengthen the move to SF over time. It begs the question for the disaffected; what's the difference between these two?

Unless as the next government, they could address the housing, health and "squeezed life" issues that seem to have dominated this election. Which is going to cost way more to fix than they will have to spend.

Ya, agree with all of that.

They have plenty money to spend., of course, but only if they start taxing the uber-wealthy and corporations, which they won't.

Irish General Election on 09:27 - Feb 11 with 1782 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Irish General Election on 09:22 - Feb 11 by CamberleyR

A bit like the Lib Dems over here then after getting into bed with the Tories for five years and going along with austerity.

Ya, same deal Camberley.

Irish General Election on 10:02 - Feb 11 with 1726 viewsBrianMcCarthy

One thing is for sure - this is good news for Ireland.

We may or may not like the next Government, but we have the shake-up we have dreamed of for decades. It's now conceivable that we could arrive at a left-right aligned Dáil rather than a right-right one. I'm not sure what way it will go in the next 5-10 years, but we have an opportunity at last for a more responsive and accountable political system.

FF-FG are at their lowest ever levels and FF, FG and Labour all produced results in their bottom three of all time.

As my friend said yesterday - "if you're shocked by this, or upset by it - you've been one of the lucky few who wasn't fugged over by the last recession".

Irish General Election on 10:17 - Feb 11 with 1704 viewsMrSheen

Irish General Election on 08:09 - Feb 11 by BrianMcCarthy

https://www.thejournal.ie/mary-lou-mcdonald-eu-5002414-Feb2020/?utm_source=faceb

The most shocking thing in this article is "making asks"...

"McDonald said she would be making asks of the European system in terms of long-term Irish interests and on the issue of partition."

Is "making asks" the new thing now?

UK and Irish public spending per head are pretty similar. Public spending is 20% higher in Northern Ireland and the revenue raised per head more than 20% below the UK average. Transferring that burden to a country one tenth of the size will be a big shock. No doubt Mary Lou will be able to persuade the people of Bulgaria and Slovakia to give generously.
Irish General Election on 10:18 - Feb 11 with 1703 viewsMrSheen

Irish General Election on 10:02 - Feb 11 by BrianMcCarthy

One thing is for sure - this is good news for Ireland.

We may or may not like the next Government, but we have the shake-up we have dreamed of for decades. It's now conceivable that we could arrive at a left-right aligned Dáil rather than a right-right one. I'm not sure what way it will go in the next 5-10 years, but we have an opportunity at last for a more responsive and accountable political system.

FF-FG are at their lowest ever levels and FF, FG and Labour all produced results in their bottom three of all time.

As my friend said yesterday - "if you're shocked by this, or upset by it - you've been one of the lucky few who wasn't fugged over by the last recession".

Write that down, Brian, keep it in a safe place.
Irish General Election on 10:37 - Feb 11 with 1670 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Irish General Election on 10:18 - Feb 11 by MrSheen

Write that down, Brian, keep it in a safe place.

Ha!

I'm not predicting that SF will get in, or that if they did they would be a success economically. I'm looking beyond that short-term possibility.

With FF/FG down to 45% the Irish electorate have what we've needed for decades. It's up to them now to make the most of the next 5-10 years and make Irish politics about policies. Finally.

To quote an old book "the blood is up, what it is up to, no-one yet knows".

Irish General Election on 10:38 - Feb 11 with 1666 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Irish General Election on 10:17 - Feb 11 by MrSheen

UK and Irish public spending per head are pretty similar. Public spending is 20% higher in Northern Ireland and the revenue raised per head more than 20% below the UK average. Transferring that burden to a country one tenth of the size will be a big shock. No doubt Mary Lou will be able to persuade the people of Bulgaria and Slovakia to give generously.

I wouldn't get excited. It's years away yet.

Irish General Election on 11:01 - Feb 11 with 1630 viewsElHoop

Irish General Election on 22:01 - Feb 10 by robith

Correct.

If you ever get a chance to visit, Donegal is a beautiful place. Partly because partition cut it off from everywhere, but it's eerily remote. Some cracking local boozers and wild coastline

I've never been up that way at all. Any time I've ever been to Ireland it always takes ages to travel around, so I'd imagine that a weekend wouldn't be long enough to get anywhere much up there?
Login to get fewer ads

Irish General Election on 11:13 - Feb 11 with 1621 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Irish General Election on 10:17 - Feb 11 by MrSheen

Economic arguments in regards to sovereignty are always trumped by Emotional ones. We more than anyone should know this.
Irish General Election on 11:58 - Feb 11 with 1581 viewsMrSheen

Irish General Election on 11:13 - Feb 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

Economic arguments in regards to sovereignty are always trumped by Emotional ones. We more than anyone should know this.

Absolutely true, it was at the core of Brexit. As for how the EU responds, the Verhofstadt class will be delighted to support a partial reunion of the project, but it might get a harder response elsewhere (though Brussels will probably get their way).
Irish General Election on 12:12 - Feb 11 with 1551 viewsJimmyR

Irish General Election on 02:24 - Feb 11 by CiderwithRsie

Maybe I'm not explaining myself well.

I agree that having NI in the single market + the screw-ups by the DUP make a united Ireland more likely. That's been true for several months if not a year or two. So I've been sort-of expecting that to be on the cards in the next few years.

What I'm saying is that big gains for SF in The Republic (as opposed to if they were winning big in the north) is a barrier to unification.

A border poll has to take place in the north so it doesn't help if SF win every single seat in the Republic, if opinion in the north is against it. Dublin doesn't get to call a border poll, that's up to the British Sec of State for NI. Effectively the North has a veto because it's unlikely the SoS would call a poll unless the North wanted it and anyway only they get to vote in it. SF voters in the Republic don't get a say on calling it or vote in it. So it doesn't matter a toss how many of them there are.

And it seems to me that SF winning big in the Republic makes it much less likely that Northern protestants, or maybe even some moderate catholics, would vote for unification in a border poll. Being run by Varadkar is one thing, being run by SF quite another.

Whereas if FG had held on a lot of people in the north might have thought "well, Boris has screwed us, the DUP are backward, the Republic seems to have got over all that De Valera Catholic stuff on abortion etc, maybe The Future Is Green, not Orange?"

Plus I don't see any sign that SF did well in the Republic because people there want to push the border thing anyway, more because they're p*ssed off with FG and FF.

I still think unification is way, way more likely than it was 10 or even 5 years ago. I just think it is now less likely than it was at Christmas.

I think you vastly underestimate Boris and how little of f*ck he gives about NI and how a majority of 80 (unfortunately) means he can do whatever he likes

I know he is out there giving it the big man speeches now, but there will come a point when he needs/wants something from the EU/Ireland. That point may well come when people are losing their jobs and the tax receipts are down. Given the £10bn NI costs the UK Boris would be more than happy to cut NI lose and blame someone else.

IF SF forms even part of government and there is a huge global recession (big ifs…I know) I think the big man speeches will take a more conciliatory tone and borris will be out begging nations to buy UK goods and services. He’s completely disregarded the good Friday agreement already, I see no reason why he wouldn’t do it again.

Frankly is laughable that yesterday the papers would even report that ministers are looking at a building a £25bn bridge over an old munitions dump, at the same time as trying to cut 5% from every department. If the SF result changes little then why bother to put out this propaganda yesterday? Its trotted out every time a diversion is needed

I get what you are saying the south has no direct influence on a boarder poll. I just think that if its 1m NI residents standing in the way of trade deals the UK needs/wants to make to drag themselves out of a recession there’s plenty of ways around it to be found.

I don’t actually think NI would vote reunification anyway and I think its even less likely that borris would be up for another referendum where he might not get the result be wanted, again. So the question remains for him? How to get shot of NI and blame someone else without pissing the EU/US off?? I don’t know the answer but it usually follows the money
Irish General Election on 12:20 - Feb 11 with 1538 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Davy Stockbrokers Report From This Morning:

POLITICAL OUTLOOK:
HIGHEST PROBABILITY is of a second election being held in the next couple months (60% chance)
IF a coalition is formed, the most likely combination is Sinn Féin/Fianna Fáil. Since it will effectively be a negotiation between two equal partners, Fianna Fáil will have to compromise a lot.
There is a battle within Fianna Fáil given Micheál Martin’s stated position on a Sinn Féin coalition. WE may see a change of leadership.
After the last election, it took a record 70 days to form a coalition. This time round is likely to be longer.
Sinn Féin’s preferred option would be another election, but they like to play a long game generally, so may be prepared to wait.
Sinn Féin have an express commitment for a border poll — will want to start immediate negotiations with British with a view to holding a border poll within five years. They may be willing to compromise on other policies to gain the poll.

Sinn Féin Fiscal Policies and funding:
Both Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael have promised similar amounts of fiscal spending (€7bn FG; €8bn FF). Sinn Féin is promising double this: €16bn; financed with tax increases, including:
A 5% levy on all incomes greater than €140k per annum
Some business tax increases, including an intellectual property tax increase
An employer PRSI payment for those earning more than €100k
Increase of bank levy from current €150m to €200m
Other Sinn Féin policies include:
Giving the Central Bank the powers to cap mortgage interest rates
Abolishing ‘help to buy scheme’
Imposing a rent freeze on private rentals.

Where Parties (Fianna Fáil and Sinn Féin) AGREE OR COULD AGREE:
BOTH parties have talked about increasing vacant site levy from 7% to 14% (FF) or 15% (SF)
Social Housing — SF would like to increase units to 100,000 within the next five years. Both parties could probably agree on expanding funding.

Where parties DISAGREE:
FF are very supportive on the ‘help to buy’ scheme, and want to introduce a savings incentive account for first time buyers. Sinn Féin want to eliminate the help to buy scheme altogether.

Implications for SECTORS:
BANKS:
Sinn Féin planned increases in bank levy; power to cap mortgage interest rates- NEGATIVE
Sinn Féin also want to maintain government 71% stake in AIB
‘No consent no sale’ bill — lenders may not transfer mortgages on residential property without the consent of the borrower.

REITS:
Rent Freeze UNLIKELY TO FULLY HAPPEN, as it would lead to a lack of supply (as per Berlin recently), but may see the current 4% rent cap MOVE TOWARDS 2-3%. Biggest impact to IRES.
Sinn Féin want to INCREASE THE LEVEL OF STAMP DUTY ON COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE FROM 7.5% TO 12.5% (to reallocate resources from offices and hotels towards the residential sector). This rate may get watered down, as the reality is that office vacancy rates are at record lows of 5.1% and hotel supply has only really restarted in 2018 after a period of inactivity.

HOUSEBUILDERS:
Sinn Féin want to increase the part 5 requirement for social housing on developments from 10% to 25%.
The most likely way for this to happen would be via planning system — so would only affect sites going forward.
>50% of landbank of both Cairn and Glenveagh has planning already, and they may look to speed up further planning before any further legislation is implemented
Social housing is margin dilutive — likely 100-150bps on sites

Irish General Election on 12:22 - Feb 11 with 1537 viewsJimmyR

Irish General Election on 08:07 - Feb 11 by WatfordR

FWIW, I think unification is eventually inevitable, but I don't think it's necessarily going to be any time soon. It'll happen as a consequence of gradual change in circumstance: the disintegration of the UK, with NI cast adrift (will there be a point to Unionist parties any more?) and Scotland gaining independence; the addition of SF to the political mainstream in the South (potentially, but again over time, removing/reducing the demons surrounding their history); the economic benefits of avoiding any kind of trade barrier/border in Ireland.

If all of these come to pass over time, the emphasis regards the question of unification will become "Why not" rather than "Why". I don't see any need to push for unification sooner rather than later though, when it's something that will in all likelihood make sense in its own good time.

This. Exactly.

I'd just add that as the border/citizenship/governance/finances/budgets/imports/exports issues pan out in NI, I think will become more and more of a pain for the UK government. So the pushing/hurry may well come from Westminster and SF could provide a nice easy ready made scapegoat
Irish General Election on 12:39 - Feb 11 with 1500 viewsWatfordR

Irish General Election on 12:20 - Feb 11 by BrianMcCarthy

Davy Stockbrokers Report From This Morning:

POLITICAL OUTLOOK:
HIGHEST PROBABILITY is of a second election being held in the next couple months (60% chance)
IF a coalition is formed, the most likely combination is Sinn Féin/Fianna Fáil. Since it will effectively be a negotiation between two equal partners, Fianna Fáil will have to compromise a lot.
There is a battle within Fianna Fáil given Micheál Martin’s stated position on a Sinn Féin coalition. WE may see a change of leadership.
After the last election, it took a record 70 days to form a coalition. This time round is likely to be longer.
Sinn Féin’s preferred option would be another election, but they like to play a long game generally, so may be prepared to wait.
Sinn Féin have an express commitment for a border poll — will want to start immediate negotiations with British with a view to holding a border poll within five years. They may be willing to compromise on other policies to gain the poll.

Sinn Féin Fiscal Policies and funding:
Both Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael have promised similar amounts of fiscal spending (€7bn FG; €8bn FF). Sinn Féin is promising double this: €16bn; financed with tax increases, including:
A 5% levy on all incomes greater than €140k per annum
Some business tax increases, including an intellectual property tax increase
An employer PRSI payment for those earning more than €100k
Increase of bank levy from current €150m to €200m
Other Sinn Féin policies include:
Giving the Central Bank the powers to cap mortgage interest rates
Abolishing ‘help to buy scheme’
Imposing a rent freeze on private rentals.

Where Parties (Fianna Fáil and Sinn Féin) AGREE OR COULD AGREE:
BOTH parties have talked about increasing vacant site levy from 7% to 14% (FF) or 15% (SF)
Social Housing — SF would like to increase units to 100,000 within the next five years. Both parties could probably agree on expanding funding.

Where parties DISAGREE:
FF are very supportive on the ‘help to buy’ scheme, and want to introduce a savings incentive account for first time buyers. Sinn Féin want to eliminate the help to buy scheme altogether.

Implications for SECTORS:
BANKS:
Sinn Féin planned increases in bank levy; power to cap mortgage interest rates- NEGATIVE
Sinn Féin also want to maintain government 71% stake in AIB
‘No consent no sale’ bill — lenders may not transfer mortgages on residential property without the consent of the borrower.

REITS:
Rent Freeze UNLIKELY TO FULLY HAPPEN, as it would lead to a lack of supply (as per Berlin recently), but may see the current 4% rent cap MOVE TOWARDS 2-3%. Biggest impact to IRES.
Sinn Féin want to INCREASE THE LEVEL OF STAMP DUTY ON COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE FROM 7.5% TO 12.5% (to reallocate resources from offices and hotels towards the residential sector). This rate may get watered down, as the reality is that office vacancy rates are at record lows of 5.1% and hotel supply has only really restarted in 2018 after a period of inactivity.

HOUSEBUILDERS:
Sinn Féin want to increase the part 5 requirement for social housing on developments from 10% to 25%.
The most likely way for this to happen would be via planning system — so would only affect sites going forward.
>50% of landbank of both Cairn and Glenveagh has planning already, and they may look to speed up further planning before any further legislation is implemented
Social housing is margin dilutive — likely 100-150bps on sites

Interesting stuff. Though one other thing to bear in mind. In a coalition, SF go from outsiders to front runners. How well could a left-right coalition work? Would participation in such a government set them up for a fall, so to speak?
Irish General Election on 13:41 - Feb 11 with 1422 viewsMrSheen

https://unherd.com/2020/02/sinn-feins-triumph-is-a-victory-of-forgetting/?tl_inb
Irish General Election on 14:43 - Feb 11 with 1377 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Irish General Election on 12:39 - Feb 11 by WatfordR

Interesting stuff. Though one other thing to bear in mind. In a coalition, SF go from outsiders to front runners. How well could a left-right coalition work? Would participation in such a government set them up for a fall, so to speak?

Ya, that's the danger for any party that goes into a bad marriage.

I'm not sure why anyone does.

Irish General Election on 14:46 - Feb 11 with 1368 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Irish General Election on 13:41 - Feb 11 by MrSheen

https://unherd.com/2020/02/sinn-feins-triumph-is-a-victory-of-forgetting/?tl_inb

Enjoyed that, until near the end where it just got personal - me, me, me - and veered off the point.

She's also got some axe to grind with O'Toole and she's incorrect that he's not speaking out. He's on the radios today and has a piece in the Irish Times as well.

Decent enough piece, though.

Is that a good website, Sheen? New one on me.

Irish General Election on 14:57 - Feb 11 with 1332 viewsMrSheen

Irish General Election on 14:46 - Feb 11 by BrianMcCarthy

Enjoyed that, until near the end where it just got personal - me, me, me - and veered off the point.

She's also got some axe to grind with O'Toole and she's incorrect that he's not speaking out. He's on the radios today and has a piece in the Irish Times as well.

About a year old. Definitely leans right for the most part, but strong on “blue Labour” localism rather than neo-liberal. Some people you might recognise...David Goodhart, Matthew Goodwin, Justin Webb, Julie Bindel, Paul Embrey, Giles Fraser.
Irish General Election on 15:03 - Feb 11 with 1319 viewsEastR

Irish General Election on 13:41 - Feb 11 by MrSheen

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/dissidents-planning-sin

As ever with Irish politics the story has many layers to it

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Irish General Election on 15:18 - Feb 11 with 1303 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Irish General Election on 14:57 - Feb 11 by MrSheen

About a year old. Definitely leans right for the most part, but strong on “blue Labour” localism rather than neo-liberal. Some people you might recognise...David Goodhart, Matthew Goodwin, Justin Webb, Julie Bindel, Paul Embrey, Giles Fraser.

Thanks.I'll keep an eye.

Irish General Election on 15:56 - Feb 11 with 1270 viewsBoston

Can’t help but be amused thinking how it’s just a few months since Mr Varadkar was trying to tell Boris Johnson the error of his ways. Politics!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Irish General Election on 16:10 - Feb 11 with 1253 viewsWatfordR

Irish General Election on 15:56 - Feb 11 by Boston

Can’t help but be amused thinking how it’s just a few months since Mr Varadkar was trying to tell Boris Johnson the error of his ways. Politics!

Wasting one's breath trying to tell Boris he is wrong about anything shows a serious lack of judgment anyway.
Irish General Election on 17:28 - Feb 11 with 1210 viewsrobith

Irish General Election on 08:53 - Feb 11 by MrSheen

Background reading?

I’m a reader of the Planet Rugby forum. About half of the posters there are Irish (fair-weather fans? I couldn’t possibly comment) and they have a LOT to say about everything. They’ve been jeering mightily at the Brits and Nordies over the last few years for the ignorant folly of Brexit, but it’s not so funny now the fox is loose in their barn. As a rugby board, the grating voice of middle class Dublin is very heavily represented, but over 100 pages, dive in.

http://forum.planetrugby.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92616&start=4240

Kinda rich them complaining about ISF memeing about the IRA when those lads regularly post pictures of semtex as in the match "banter" threads

I also deeply worry for you if you think Planet Rugby is the insight to the Irish psyche. They have a Dublin restaurant recommendation thread that was started by they saying how they should spend their NAMA money ffs.

Reading that place probably also explains why your rugby opinions are so bad #banter
Irish General Election on 17:33 - Feb 11 with 1205 viewsrobith

Irish General Election on 14:46 - Feb 11 by BrianMcCarthy

Unherd is a collection of some of the worst people in the world Brian
Irish General Election on 18:10 - Feb 11 with 1158 viewsMrSheen

Irish General Election on 17:33 - Feb 11 by robith

Unherd is a collection of some of the worst people in the world Brian

Nanny has spoken. Cover your eyes.

Imagine dragging a widow from her home, shooting her in the head, burying her secretly, leaving 10 orphans to be brought up in care and then lying about it for decades. The columnists on Unherd are much worse than that. And that’s no lie.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2020 6:23]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024