Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Irish General Election 15:42 - Feb 9 with 16172 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Seismic shift to the left in Ireland today.

Exit polls suggesting that left parties are heading for 45% of the vote.

So many fascinating issues arising now:

Are Sinn Féin now on a par with the right-wing monoliths of Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael?
Will either of them get into coalition-bed with Sinn Féin?
Can Sinn Féin be trusted in Government?
Have Sinn Féin left violence behind?
Will Ireland, could Ireland, actually have a Left-Wing Government in the near future?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Irish General Election on 19:37 - Jun 29 with 1389 viewsCiderwithRsie

Irish General Election on 15:42 - Jun 29 by robith

The UK press is illiterate about Irish politics. I mean at one point Harry Cole, someone who is head of politics at MoS, previously The Sun (and former Guido and BoJo's cuck, natch) wrote that Leo was "bending over to impress the Shinners" and I'm like ......err what? Look at the history of Fine Gael mate! It's on wikipedia!

On the whole UK media is illiterate about all foreign politics (except possibly US) and tends to see them as extensions of British politics, but it's specially bad about Ireland.

I'd say the reaction to the Irish GE varied through:
(a) Who cares?
(b) WTF!! Sinn Fein? It's the bloody IRA!
(c) (from the left media) Yay! Corbynite surge in Ireland!

I don't claim to know much but guess all of the above are wrong.
Irish General Election on 20:23 - Jun 29 with 1345 viewskensalriser

I always felt I didn't understand Irish politics as I could never figure out the difference between Fine Gael and Fianna Fail. Eventually of course I learnt there isn't one.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Irish General Election on 20:59 - Jun 29 with 1323 viewsMrSheen

Irish General Election on 20:23 - Jun 29 by kensalriser

I always felt I didn't understand Irish politics as I could never figure out the difference between Fine Gael and Fianna Fail. Eventually of course I learnt there isn't one.

Civil War centenary coming up soon to remind everyone.
Irish General Election on 21:42 - Jun 29 with 1295 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Irish General Election on 19:37 - Jun 29 by CiderwithRsie

On the whole UK media is illiterate about all foreign politics (except possibly US) and tends to see them as extensions of British politics, but it's specially bad about Ireland.

(a) Who cares?

b) We really don't know!
c) Well, there was a huge surge to the left. Will be interesting to see if it's temporary or permanent.

Irish General Election on 21:49 - Jun 29 with 1289 viewstheselector

Sorry to go back to a potential united Ireland poll, but one thing that hasn't been considered that much in this little debate (apologies if I missed it) is Scotland, and the prospect of Scottish independence. If that happens within the next few years, what effect will that have on the Unionists. Surely it will shake their identity to the very core that the part of the UK they identify most with no longer wants to be part of the UK.
Irish General Election on 23:55 - Jun 29 with 1240 viewsBoston

Irish General Election on 19:37 - Jun 29 by CiderwithRsie

(a) Who cares?

The US is no exception.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Irish General Election on 01:26 - Jun 30 with 1212 viewsisawqpratwcity

Irish General Election on 21:49 - Jun 29 by theselector

Sorry to go back to a potential united Ireland poll, but one thing that hasn't been considered that much in this little debate (apologies if I missed it) is Scotland, and the prospect of Scottish independence. If that happens within the next few years, what effect will that have on the Unionists. Surely it will shake their identity to the very core that the part of the UK they identify most with no longer wants to be part of the UK.

The Scots want another referendum but Boris says 'over my dead body'.

Two birds, one stone.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Irish General Election on 08:39 - Jun 30 with 1134 viewsPhildo

Irish General Election on 01:26 - Jun 30 by isawqpratwcity

Two birds, one stone.

Boris probably does not care that much about Scottish Independence save he knows the PM who loses Scotland will have to resign.

An independent Scotland would be very resonant in Northern Ireland as traditional Unionists identify very closely with Scotland, religious practices etc. Unionist leadership will probably still aim to hold on to the status quo (a war they have been losing for a long time) but there are some unionist politicians beginning to think about possible forms of autonomy within a UI framework.

De Valera and Collins portraits are now hanging together in the taoiseachs office. I would not bet against Edward Carson joining them at some point.
Login to get fewer ads

Irish General Election on 09:04 - Jun 30 with 1116 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Irish General Election on 21:49 - Jun 29 by theselector

A very good point, hadn't occurred to me.

Irish General Election on 09:08 - Jun 30 with 1112 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Irish General Election on 08:39 - Jun 30 by Phildo

Boris probably does not care that much about Scottish Independence save he knows the PM who loses Scotland will have to resign.

An independent Scotland would be very resonant in Northern Ireland as traditional Unionists identify very closely with Scotland, religious practices etc. Unionist leadership will probably still aim to hold on to the status quo (a war they have been losing for a long time) but there are some unionist politicians beginning to think about possible forms of autonomy within a UI framework.

De Valera and Collins portraits are now hanging together in the taoiseachs office. I would not bet against Edward Carson joining them at some point.

Absolutely possible, true.

Fine Gael, for instance would have no ideological differences to overcome if coalition was necessary. Likewise, I would imagine, The Greens and Social Democrats. Labour possibly. Fianna Fáil would share with the Tories to hang on to power but would have to perform calisthenics to sell it to the portion of their party who still think that they are 'The Republican Party'.

edit - sp. check.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 9:20]

Irish General Election on 09:12 - Jun 30 with 1107 viewsEsox_Lucius

Irish General Election on 01:26 - Jun 30 by isawqpratwcity

Two birds, one stone.

The Welsh are also pushing hard to be free of England at the moment. There doesn't seem to be a lot of confidence in PM Cummings from the rest of the Union.

The grass is always greener.

Irish General Election on 13:45 - Jun 30 with 1049 viewsisawqpratwcity

Irish General Election on 09:12 - Jun 30 by Esox_Lucius

The Welsh are also pushing hard to be free of England at the moment. There doesn't seem to be a lot of confidence in PM Cummings from the rest of the Union.

The Government has only brought it on itself.

Irish General Election on 14:31 - Jun 30 with 1024 viewsEastR

Irish General Election on 13:45 - Jun 30 by isawqpratwcity

The Government has only brought it on itself.

Michael Gove (we know you’re lurking Mikey) gave a speech at the weekend and while taking the opportunity to have a pop at the civil service, the Treasury in particular, made the following observation:

“Had they (the civil servants) been able to interrogate Washington, Jefferson and Hamilton in 1783 they would have concluded that American independence was an unjustifiable, untried and expensive innovation. In Treasury terms they would have said it was novel and contentious and therefore had to be stopped”.

I suspect that might be quoted back at him by the independence movements north of the border and in Wales at the first available opportunity

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Irish General Election on 15:36 - Jun 30 with 1011 viewsisawqpratwcity

Irish General Election on 14:31 - Jun 30 by EastR

Michael Gove (we know you’re lurking Mikey) gave a speech at the weekend and while taking the opportunity to have a pop at the civil service, the Treasury in particular, made the following observation:

“Had they (the civil servants) been able to interrogate Washington, Jefferson and Hamilton in 1783 they would have concluded that American independence was an unjustifiable, untried and expensive innovation. In Treasury terms they would have said it was novel and contentious and therefore had to be stopped”.

I suspect that might be quoted back at him by the independence movements north of the border and in Wales at the first available opportunity

Christ, the lack of self-awareness in that quote (granted, meant to be humorous) is actually sad.

Irish General Election on 15:56 - Jun 30 with 983 viewskensalriser

Plaid got 10% in the last election, are polls showing a substantial increase in support? Genuine question, I have no idea.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Irish General Election on 15:58 - Jun 30 with 980 viewsMrSheen

Support for Welsh independence about 25%, about the same as support for scrapping the devolved assembly.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/surge-support-welsh-independen

A piece on the economic background of independence.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/publication/devolution-at-20/public-sp
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 16:12]
Irish General Election on 22:39 - Jun 30 with 926 viewsrsocks

You think so?
Irish General Election on 23:18 - Jun 30 with 896 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Read somewhere that Ireland elected a traveller to it's senate? That's progress!
Irish General Election on 00:06 - Jul 1 with 860 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Irish General Election on 23:18 - Jun 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

Read somewhere that Ireland elected a traveller to it's senate? That's progress!

Yes, it's true and it's great news. She was nominated, not elected, but she deserves it as she has earned the support she has from across the parties.

Irish General Election on 01:45 - Jul 1 with 835 viewsBoston

Did I miss something about the no political threads?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Irish General Election on 15:53 - Jul 3 with 692 viewsMrSheen

Interesting read...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/bobby-storey-the-ira-s-planne
Irish General Election on 18:09 - Jul 4 with 639 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Irish General Election on 15:53 - Jul 3 by MrSheen

Interesting read...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/bobby-storey-the-ira-s-planne

I've sent this to a friend who's a journo. He knows his stuff about Sinn Féin (he hates them, but that's another matter). I've read some reports saying that Storey was a Peace Process convert, but they say that about all of them. Will let you know.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024