Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Euro 2021 Thread 18:21 - Jun 11 with 19179 viewsblackdogblue

I will start it... 😀

My money is on France to win

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Euro 2021 Thread on 06:48 - Jun 15 with 2098 viewsDiddyDave

I see the saga of Scottish goalkeepers continues, sixty years now since we had Nine Past Haffey.
Euro 2021 Thread on 08:05 - Jun 15 with 2019 viewspioneer

Euro 2021 Thread on 06:48 - Jun 15 by DiddyDave

I see the saga of Scottish goalkeepers continues, sixty years now since we had Nine Past Haffey.

Even Pepe gladioli would have waited until the final before playing his goalie in midfield

The goalie must be a favourite for the Bob Wilson-Alan Rough Magic Moment award
Euro 2021 Thread on 16:10 - Jun 15 with 1872 viewsfinberty

Euro 2021 Thread on 06:48 - Jun 15 by DiddyDave

I can remember Stewart Kennedy in 1975 at Wembley having a 'mare. Alan Rough had several 'mares, assisted by an unsatisfactory permed hairdo. Jim Leighton had a bad time at the end of his Man Utd career but I don't recall any howlers for Scotland. Craig Gordon let a soft one through against England a few years back.

On the other hand I remember David Harvey in 1974 keeping Brazil out - that Scotland side was eliminated only on goal difference - they only beat Zaire 2-0 when Yugoslavia beat them 9-0.

Don't forget that England can offer up:
David Seaman v Ronaldinho (chipped from about 40 yards);
David Seaman v Ronald Koeman (direct freekick when standing in the wrong position). Scott Carson (missing a backpass).
Rob Green (fumbling a tame prod into his own net).
Euro 2021 Thread on 16:51 - Jun 15 with 1846 viewsAtThePeake

Euro 2021 Thread on 16:10 - Jun 15 by finberty

I can remember Stewart Kennedy in 1975 at Wembley having a 'mare. Alan Rough had several 'mares, assisted by an unsatisfactory permed hairdo. Jim Leighton had a bad time at the end of his Man Utd career but I don't recall any howlers for Scotland. Craig Gordon let a soft one through against England a few years back.

On the other hand I remember David Harvey in 1974 keeping Brazil out - that Scotland side was eliminated only on goal difference - they only beat Zaire 2-0 when Yugoslavia beat them 9-0.

Don't forget that England can offer up:
David Seaman v Ronaldinho (chipped from about 40 yards);
David Seaman v Ronald Koeman (direct freekick when standing in the wrong position). Scott Carson (missing a backpass).
Rob Green (fumbling a tame prod into his own net).

Think you're mistaking Carson for Robinson with the missed backpass, but Carson did fumble in that Eduardo shot for Croatia that saw us miss out on Euro 2008.

Tangled up in blue.

Euro 2021 Thread on 20:43 - Jun 15 with 1771 viewsfinberty

Euro 2021 Thread on 16:51 - Jun 15 by AtThePeake

Think you're mistaking Carson for Robinson with the missed backpass, but Carson did fumble in that Eduardo shot for Croatia that saw us miss out on Euro 2008.

Dead right - thanks for correcting.

So many to choose from you see, and it seems more England howlers than Scotland howlers, which is a pity as it was always something you could use to wind Scots up.
Euro 2021 Thread on 22:28 - Jun 15 with 1713 viewsmingthemerciless

Not to mention Ray Clemence letting a pea roller go through his legs against Scotland and Peter Shilton diving over that long shot in the famous World Cup qualifier against Poland.
Euro 2021 Thread on 05:00 - Jun 16 with 1634 viewsDiddyDave

Can anybody please tell me the reason why the linos don`t put the flag up when a player is clearly offside, then raise it after they`ve put the ball in the back of the net, as happened to Hungary last night. What is the logic of that?
Euro 2021 Thread on 08:38 - Jun 16 with 1580 viewsDaleiLama

Euro 2021 Thread on 05:00 - Jun 16 by DiddyDave

Can anybody please tell me the reason why the linos don`t put the flag up when a player is clearly offside, then raise it after they`ve put the ball in the back of the net, as happened to Hungary last night. What is the logic of that?

One of these days there'll be a serious injury in an attempt to score or defend a goal and it will be called back. Ridiculous policy.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Login to get fewer ads

Euro 2021 Thread on 08:47 - Jun 16 with 1569 viewsTVOS1907

It's so that if it isn't clearly offside, 'legal' goals aren't ruled out until there has been a VAR check. This has been in place for the last couple of seasons in games where VAR is used.

More here: https://www.premierleague.com/news/1833470#:~:text=When%20an%20immediate%20goals

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Euro 2021 Thread on 08:52 - Jun 16 with 1565 viewsTVOS1907

Euro 2021 Thread on 08:38 - Jun 16 by DaleiLama

One of these days there'll be a serious injury in an attempt to score or defend a goal and it will be called back. Ridiculous policy.

That could still happen with the flag going up, as a player would really struggle to change his momentum in a split second.

Top level players have been used to this interpretation for two seasons now, so I'm sure they don't see it as a major issue.

And, as we were all taught, play to the whistle.

Euro 2021 Thread on 09:19 - Jun 16 with 1548 viewsAtThePeake

Euro 2021 Thread on 08:47 - Jun 16 by TVOS1907

It's so that if it isn't clearly offside, 'legal' goals aren't ruled out until there has been a VAR check. This has been in place for the last couple of seasons in games where VAR is used.

More here: https://www.premierleague.com/news/1833470#:~:text=When%20an%20immediate%20goals

After this farcical goal it's always seemed the best option to keep the flag down until afterwards:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=537392660174203

Tangled up in blue.

Euro 2021 Thread on 10:24 - Jun 16 with 1486 viewsDaleiLama

Euro 2021 Thread on 08:52 - Jun 16 by TVOS1907

That could still happen with the flag going up, as a player would really struggle to change his momentum in a split second.

Top level players have been used to this interpretation for two seasons now, so I'm sure they don't see it as a major issue.

And, as we were all taught, play to the whistle.

I guess. Have players been polled on this anyone? It has certainly taken the joy out of goal celebrations. Bit like lockdown birthdays being celebrated months later!

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Euro 2021 Thread on 10:34 - Jun 16 with 1462 viewsdingdangblue

Ally McCoist was moaning about this last night but he should know better. With VAR it's more sensible to keep the flag down and play on till the shot is taken. You wouldn't be happy if you were the forward through on goal,wrongly flagged offside, and stop playing.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Euro 2021 Thread on 12:26 - Jun 16 with 1407 viewsD_Alien

Another advantage is that play can just continue if a goal isn't scored, reducing the number of stoppages for trivial offsides

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Euro 2021 Thread on 18:57 - Jun 16 with 1331 viewsD_Alien

Well done Wales, good watch

Euro 2021 Thread on 20:14 - Jun 16 with 1264 viewsfitzochris

I imagine 442Dale will have something to say about Italy’s shorts this evening.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Euro 2021 Thread on 20:28 - Jun 16 with 1252 views442Dale

Euro 2021 Thread on 20:14 - Jun 16 by fitzochris

I imagine 442Dale will have something to say about Italy’s shorts this evening.

The issue is with the opposition. Or UEFA. Switzerland’s home kit is actually all red this time so there would never have been a shorts clash, yet for some reason we are seeing more examples of this ‘dark v light’ whole kits that first started at the 2014 World Cup.

It’s both sickening and upsetting. You can only imagine how this can affect the balance of the universe.

Italy are good, mind. Must be the shorts.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Euro 2021 Thread on 20:58 - Jun 16 with 1220 viewsDiddyDave

Euro 2021 Thread on 12:26 - Jun 16 by D_Alien

Another advantage is that play can just continue if a goal isn't scored, reducing the number of stoppages for trivial offsides

Offside is only trivial if a player is in an offside position but is not interfering with play. In the Hungary case, there were two players in an offside position, but only one, the player who received the ball, was interfering with play, so he is offside straight away. Why make the game more complicated for no apparent reason?
Are they using VAR? I only watch the nine minute highlights on Youtube and I haven`t noticed it being used yet. I only mention it because Scotland were denied a penalty for a clear hand ball in their 2-0 loss the other night.
Euro 2021 Thread on 21:18 - Jun 16 with 1207 viewsTVOS1907

Euro 2021 Thread on 20:58 - Jun 16 by DiddyDave

Offside is only trivial if a player is in an offside position but is not interfering with play. In the Hungary case, there were two players in an offside position, but only one, the player who received the ball, was interfering with play, so he is offside straight away. Why make the game more complicated for no apparent reason?
Are they using VAR? I only watch the nine minute highlights on Youtube and I haven`t noticed it being used yet. I only mention it because Scotland were denied a penalty for a clear hand ball in their 2-0 loss the other night.

Yes, they are. I didn't see the incident in question, nor have I read about it anywhere else, but it would have been checked immediately.

Re. your first paragraph, the offside law is different these days. Back in the past, a player could be flagged offside on the far touchline even if the ball or the attack were on the near touchline. That's not "for no apparent reason" to me.

Euro 2021 Thread on 21:25 - Jun 16 with 1201 viewsD_Alien

Euro 2021 Thread on 20:58 - Jun 16 by DiddyDave

There's examples every single game where players could be deemed to be interfering with play after wandering offside. In many cases, the ref might 'wave play on' if no advantage accrues, but the new rule means play just continues anyway now, reducing stoppages

The rest of your post is irrelevant to this point

[Post edited 16 Jun 2021 21:30]

Euro 2021 Thread on 00:28 - Jun 17 with 1147 viewsDiddyDave

Euro 2021 Thread on 21:25 - Jun 16 by D_Alien

There's examples every single game where players could be deemed to be interfering with play after wandering offside. In many cases, the ref might 'wave play on' if no advantage accrues, but the new rule means play just continues anyway now, reducing stoppages

The rest of your post is irrelevant to this point

[Post edited 16 Jun 2021 21:30]

When I was reffing, the laws of the game for offsides and fouls included the words, "If, in the opinion of the referee......." Now it appears to be, "You will, or you must." How things have changed, no wonder they find it difficult to get refs these days and I`m talking about refs who have actually played the game. Sorry if all that is irrelevant.
Euro 2021 Thread on 05:41 - Jun 17 with 1110 viewsD_Alien

Euro 2021 Thread on 00:28 - Jun 17 by DiddyDave

When I was reffing, the laws of the game for offsides and fouls included the words, "If, in the opinion of the referee......." Now it appears to be, "You will, or you must." How things have changed, no wonder they find it difficult to get refs these days and I`m talking about refs who have actually played the game. Sorry if all that is irrelevant.

Irrelevant? I'll say it is!

A lack of ex-footballers becoming refs has always been talked about - there never was a time when it was known to be a usual career path

And whilst the laws of the game have evolved, and can be argued as being for the better or worse, it's certainly not a reason for ex-footballers not becoming refs. There are reasons, as this article shows, incidentally involving an ex-Daley:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49007776

The only thing worse than a ref who needs specs is, perhaps, one who wears rose-tinted ones

Euro 2021 Thread on 16:38 - Jun 17 with 962 viewsblackdogblue

Euro 2021 Thread on 05:41 - Jun 17 by D_Alien

Irrelevant? I'll say it is!

A lack of ex-footballers becoming refs has always been talked about - there never was a time when it was known to be a usual career path

And whilst the laws of the game have evolved, and can be argued as being for the better or worse, it's certainly not a reason for ex-footballers not becoming refs. There are reasons, as this article shows, incidentally involving an ex-Daley:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49007776

The only thing worse than a ref who needs specs is, perhaps, one who wears rose-tinted ones

On the subject of VAR unless I have missed it on parts of the games I have watched on TV they are not showing decisions etc on a big screen just sending the ref instructions via his headset & not seen a ref go to a monitor either???

Euro 2021 Thread on 20:12 - Jun 17 with 914 viewsblackdogblue

Euro 2021 Thread on 16:38 - Jun 17 by blackdogblue

On the subject of VAR unless I have missed it on parts of the games I have watched on TV they are not showing decisions etc on a big screen just sending the ref instructions via his headset & not seen a ref go to a monitor either???

Take it back, penalty decision in the NL game, he went to the monitor… very low key though

Euro 2021 Thread on 22:46 - Jun 18 with 751 viewsEllDale

Am I the only one who saw similarities tonight with what we saw at Spotland last season.
Ok I know the players are different class but…..
Pedestrian build-up.
Lack of urgency
Crap substitutions
Inability to get a corner past the near post
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024