Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thread: Newport County 15:18 - May 7 with 11765 viewsSheffdale

I'm starting this to celebrate Matt Done's first of the season! 0-1 Dale.
Match thread: Newport County on 17:07 - May 7 with 4209 viewsDaleiLama

Dale players giving shirts away to visiting fans. CoK even gave his boots away too. Great touch. 277 there I think they said.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match thread: Newport County on 17:16 - May 7 with 4107 viewsmikehunt

Odoh skimmed the post at the death too. We seemed on it today; played a good pressing and passing game. Let them have two sitters but they fluffed them and that was that.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Match thread: Newport County on 17:16 - May 7 with 4095 viewsD_Alien

Brizzle up... and fair play to them, despite their manager. What an epitaph for KH though, overseeing a rout

Great for Dale to be finishing on a happy note too, the players and RS can head to the beach with a smile on their faces - at least those who're still here after the retained list comes out

And somehow - i'm not sure why - but finishing 18th just seems a lot better than 20th!

[Post edited 7 May 2022 17:18]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match thread: Newport County on 17:24 - May 7 with 4018 viewsdingdangblue

Wow Bristol Rover. They'll never forget the last 2 games of this season. A 4-3 away win in injury time at Dale and a 7-0 win at home to get automatic promotion on goals scored!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match thread: Newport County on 17:25 - May 7 with 4010 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Match thread: Newport County on 15:23 - May 7 by SuddenLad

Now the ref is coming off injured. Suggestions that Done was offside for the goal. I don't think he was,but would need to see it again. Great finish.

A Matty Done goal, a rarity indeed.......hope he does n't qualify for another contract extension on the strength of it?
Match thread: Newport County on 17:28 - May 7 with 3949 viewsSuddenLad

Match thread: Newport County on 16:14 - May 7 by Nigeriamark

Their groundsman won the award for best pitch in Leg 2. It looks absolute top drawer considering the number of games played, and like ourselves they play rugby on it too. Not sure if they get better weather than us in Newport

According to the Newport commentary team, the pitch is maintained and supplied by the Welsh Rugby Union. That accounts for its' pristine appearance.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Match thread: Newport County on 17:29 - May 7 with 3943 views442Dale

Match thread: Newport County on 17:25 - May 7 by Yorkshire_Dale

A Matty Done goal, a rarity indeed.......hope he does n't qualify for another contract extension on the strength of it?

You really need to let it go.

Whether he gets a contract or not, he’s been a great servant to the club and the disrespect shown by some towards him does none of us any credit.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match thread: Newport County on 17:37 - May 7 with 3890 views1949er

Totally agree about Matt Done. Not the most gifted player but always gave his best. A true professional.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Match thread: Newport County on 17:49 - May 7 with 3790 viewsfermin

Match thread: Newport County on 17:24 - May 7 by dingdangblue

Wow Bristol Rover. They'll never forget the last 2 games of this season. A 4-3 away win in injury time at Dale and a 7-0 win at home to get automatic promotion on goals scored!

Scunthorpe playing the youth team, more or less, helped them out a bit.
Match thread: Newport County on 18:20 - May 7 with 3609 views442Dale

Match thread: Newport County on 17:37 - May 7 by 1949er

Totally agree about Matt Done. Not the most gifted player but always gave his best. A true professional.

Now of the opinion that we should offer a deal (on reduced terms to suit of course) if only to see the ridiculous reaction that follows. Fact is, as a league two side which is rebuilding, an experienced pro who can play a couple of positions is going to be the sort of player we’d be after anyway.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match thread: Newport County on 18:26 - May 7 with 3557 viewsjonahwhereru

Had plans to go to the game at one point, so when that didn’t happen Dale where destined to win.
Can’t offer an opinion but we get only our second double of the campaign today. The result suggests the side put in a shift and worked to keep A clean sheet. Finishing above Carlisle was a bonus. About 7 teams were separated by 3 points. So the question is how much improvement / decline is likely next season.
RS can only improve for the experience and will need to learn from his mistakes. The defensive side of the ball could go either way next season, as that is where there will be the most changes. Midfield should improve and I think there is a core of players there that give us a chance, Ball, Kelly, Odoh and Brierley. That latter could take decent step forward.
The front line has plenty of potential improvement. Both Charman and Campbell hold plenty of promise, but for me the confidence that Grant has gained could see him being a really influential player next season, extend him now please. He is about our only saleable asset as it stands.
All in all I am happy with my team this year and can look forward to better in 22/23.
Match thread: Newport County on 18:32 - May 7 with 3520 viewsNorthernDale

It was a nice win to end the season on a more positive note, I wonder the change in tactics with a more aggressive approach is RS learning from the tippy tappy football produced for most of early season? I hope so.

I presume the retain list will be published towards the end of the week.
Match thread: Newport County on 19:56 - May 7 with 3206 viewsKnavesmireBob

A bit of emotion on display in Robbie's post match interview tonight. Might not be to everyone's liking after DB's crocodile tears but to me it feels genuine and is lovely to see.

I'd pretty much given up on him by the end of March, really didn't like the Charman stuff and some of the interviews around that time. Felt there was too much emphasis on control. But I'm often too quick to judge and over analyse, and have seen and heard enough since Carlisle to feel learnings have taken place and there's plenty of positive signs for the future.

He clearly cares, and I'm encouraged by how he's spent the last few interviews talking about post season self reflection. Football management is a brutal game with no hiding places, especially for a rookie, even amongst a fan base as tolerant and forgiving as ours. I expect he's knackered and hope him and all his players have a happy and relaxing close season.

Might be a while before we see League 1 again but we've a business model like Exeter and there's no reason to think we can't start building some forward momentum next year in the same way they did over a period of time before getting their eventual reward. Great way to sign off the season today. Have a good summer everyone.
Match thread: Newport County on 20:22 - May 7 with 3098 viewsEllDale

If we were fed up at stages this season let’s try and sympathise tonight with fans of “big clubs” like Tranmere and Bradford City. Still in the same division in 2022/2023.
Ditto the owners of Salford.
If you’d said to me in June that we’d survive the season I’d have taken it.
And if you’d said in February that we’d retain Football League status I’d have been happy.
There are plenty of reasons to look forward to next season.
We had a bit of a false dawn early in this season with wins over the the likes of Port Vale and Northampton away and Tranmere at home plus the first 50 minutes at Turf Moor.
I for one am now looking forward to seeing Charman and Campbell In tandem upfront and Brierley and Ball together in midfield.
One can only hope, or assume, that RS wanted to shield Brierley from the pressure of the relegation dogfight and introduced him once things could be a bit less tense.
And that Charman’s delayed introduction was calculated rather than thrust upon him by events.
I presume that he has learnt an awful lot over the last six months and that this will stand him in good stead in the future.
Match thread: Newport County on 08:27 - May 8 with 2428 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Match thread: Newport County on 17:25 - May 7 by Yorkshire_Dale

He has as much right to another contract as any other player. He ALWAYS gives 100% and when he is played in his favoured position he is a real threat. I wish the rest of the squad put in the same amount of graft.
Match thread: Newport County on 08:30 - May 8 with 2422 viewsAltDaleComms

Match thread: Newport County on 09:24 - May 8 with 2289 viewsisitme

Match thread: Newport County on 08:27 - May 8 by RooleyMoorBlue

He has as much right to another contract as any other player. He ALWAYS gives 100% and when he is played in his favoured position he is a real threat. I wish the rest of the squad put in the same amount of graft.

Working hard should be a prerequisite, although that's not always the case with all players. I'd disagree that he is a real threat when played in his favourite position. He has scored one goal all season and most of his appearances have been in forward roles. If we are to progress we have to move on and not dwell on sentiment. Mind you I would not have given him an extension on the past two occasions. Calvin Andrew is another example, great guy, good with the younger players etc but during his last two seasons at the club he made very little impact on the pitch. Supposedly Done was one of the highest paid players at the club but was a peripheral player for much of the season. Not good value for money. One of the issues I had with BBM was his attachment to players who were not really good enough on the pitch.
Match thread: Newport County on 10:04 - May 8 with 2167 viewsDaleiLama

Fitzo's review of the season and where we ended

https://rochdaleafcnews.com/2022/05/07/summer-job-for-stockdale-as-dale-record-l

Match thread: Newport County on 10:36 - May 8 with 2094 viewsisitme

Match thread: Newport County on 10:04 - May 8 by DaleiLama

Fitzo's review of the season and where we ended

https://rochdaleafcnews.com/2022/05/07/summer-job-for-stockdale-as-dale-record-l

As always a good and fair write up.
Match thread: Newport County on 10:44 - May 8 with 2067 viewsDaleiLama

Match thread: Newport County on 19:56 - May 7 by KnavesmireBob

A bit of emotion on display in Robbie's post match interview tonight. Might not be to everyone's liking after DB's crocodile tears but to me it feels genuine and is lovely to see.

I'd pretty much given up on him by the end of March, really didn't like the Charman stuff and some of the interviews around that time. Felt there was too much emphasis on control. But I'm often too quick to judge and over analyse, and have seen and heard enough since Carlisle to feel learnings have taken place and there's plenty of positive signs for the future.

He clearly cares, and I'm encouraged by how he's spent the last few interviews talking about post season self reflection. Football management is a brutal game with no hiding places, especially for a rookie, even amongst a fan base as tolerant and forgiving as ours. I expect he's knackered and hope him and all his players have a happy and relaxing close season.

Might be a while before we see League 1 again but we've a business model like Exeter and there's no reason to think we can't start building some forward momentum next year in the same way they did over a period of time before getting their eventual reward. Great way to sign off the season today. Have a good summer everyone.

Good summary. In that interview, did you notice when talking about the Brizzle game he (presumably unintentionally) said he didn't want the players taking their foot off the gas. Ironic
[Post edited 8 May 2022 10:44]

Match thread: Newport County on 11:44 - May 8 with 1937 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Newport County on 17:29 - May 7 by 442Dale

You really need to let it go.

Whether he gets a contract or not, he’s been a great servant to the club and the disrespect shown by some towards him does none of us any credit.

Correct, it's a really disrespectful comment to make.

Yes, his time with us is probably up and in my opinion, should be (good post by isitme on the subject), but to keep banging the same tired old drum in what will probably be claimed as 'banter' and 'humour' is tedious, albeit true to form.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match thread: Newport County on 12:40 - May 8 with 1777 viewsD_Alien

Match thread: Newport County on 10:36 - May 8 by isitme

As always a good and fair write up.

I agree. The only aspect of analysis missing was with regard to our goalkeeping situation, which for me is the No.1 priority by bringing in someone who can rightly be seen as our No.1

Easier said than done, of course

Match thread: Newport County on 12:58 - May 8 with 1712 viewsisitme

Match thread: Newport County on 12:40 - May 8 by D_Alien

I agree. The only aspect of analysis missing was with regard to our goalkeeping situation, which for me is the No.1 priority by bringing in someone who can rightly be seen as our No.1

Easier said than done, of course

I would much rather go with one first choice and then Kelly to sit on the bench. You can always get a keeper in on an emergency loan. With Lynch and Coleman we have never really had a first choice and both of their wages put together could maybe get a better keeper.
Match thread: Newport County on 13:12 - May 8 with 1660 viewsTVOS1907

Matt Done made his 310th appearance for Dale yesterday, placing him joint-sixth with Dave Thompson in the club's all-time appearances list.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match thread: Newport County on 14:02 - May 8 with 1537 viewsD_Alien

Match thread: Newport County on 13:12 - May 8 by TVOS1907

Matt Done made his 310th appearance for Dale yesterday, placing him joint-sixth with Dave Thompson in the club's all-time appearances list.

I've just looked up their Wiki stats, and if correct, Done's scored 26 goals for Dale against Thompson's 25

Might put some perspective on their records, since Thompson is rightly remembered warmly and most of Done's goals were in L1

[Post edited 8 May 2022 14:03]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024