Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FIFA World Cup thread. 12:02 - Nov 15 with 124302 viewsSnipper

I’m trying to get excited about this World Cup, but to no avail :-((.

I’ve just watched Sky Sports World Cup preview with Gary Neville, Jamie Redknapp, Jamie Carragher & Karen Carney. Utterly depressing viewing. Same old, same old. Picking players for the starting XI not playing for their clubs, or totally off form.

I’m hoping this thread can get the juices flowing.

Do any of you think England have a chance?
FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:17 - Nov 16 with 3338 viewsToast_R

FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:38 - Nov 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

Fake / paid for fans? Never!

Having said that I don’t see any plastic chairs flying about.

[Post edited 16 Nov 2022 10:42]

England and German fans and not a can of lager between them, very convincing.

They really need to learn Two World Wars & One World Cup
[Post edited 16 Nov 2022 11:26]
FIFA World Cup thread. on 12:13 - Nov 16 with 3234 viewseastside_r

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:47 - Nov 15 by daveB

I'm quite looking forward to it, I get the criticisms of where it is held and agree with them but looking forward to the actual football.

I think it will be tough for England especially in that heat. Can see the group being a struggle, the other 3 teams are not as bad as some of the pundits are making out and we don't have many goals in us. If England can get to the quarters they've done well imo and they have a chance if they get that far and build some momentum but the centre halves just not good enough when you get to the later stages imo

There is so much doom and gloom about England though, a lot of people seem desperate for it to go wrong for them, shame as they are quite a likeable group of players and manager

Think Argentina will win it though.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2022 17:59]

Only group with 4 teams inside FIFA’s top twenty rankings. (FWIW I.e not much.)

So USA and Iran = no mugs plus a local derby / grudge match with Wales. Good luck with that, as they say.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 12:37 - Nov 16 with 3193 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Can't get excited and I seriously doubt that I'll even bother watching it. The fake fans show how low football has sunk.
The World Cup should be at the end of the season, preferably in a country that doesn't use near slave labour to build the stadiums. It is a grotesque show.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 13:13 - Nov 16 with 3114 viewsMoonshineSteve

I usually get into it as the tournament gets going. Only time I was properly excited beforehand was Spain in 82. Having not qualified in 74 or 78 this was the first World Cup I was old enough to appreciate with England in it. I thought we had a real chance.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

FIFA World Cup thread. on 13:48 - Nov 16 with 3059 viewsToast_R

Anyone collecting Panini stickers for this world cup?
FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:15 - Nov 16 with 3000 viewsdaveB

FIFA World Cup thread. on 13:48 - Nov 16 by Toast_R

Thats my mini protest in not buying one this year but is killing me inside not getting them
FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:21 - Nov 16 with 3008 viewsToast_R

FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:15 - Nov 16 by daveB

Thats my mini protest in not buying one this year but is killing me inside not getting them

Haha

I bought the album and starter kit when it came out and left it. I succumbed to a Box of 100 packs on Groupon yesterday for £75.00.

In a clever money making twist, this year Panini have also included I believe, 20 separate "Legends players" stickers which are rare and have Bronze, Silver and Gold versions of each player. These are in addition to the album so you can still finish it even if you don't get those. If you collect the whole Legends set in each colour... apparently will be worth a small fortune on Ebay.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2022 14:22]
FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:30 - Nov 16 with 2989 viewsCamberleyR

FIFA World Cup thread. on 13:13 - Nov 16 by MoonshineSteve

I usually get into it as the tournament gets going. Only time I was properly excited beforehand was Spain in 82. Having not qualified in 74 or 78 this was the first World Cup I was old enough to appreciate with England in it. I thought we had a real chance.

We would have had a real chance with those players in '82 had we had somebody in charge other than Ron Greenwood. Those two finals tournaments he qualified for were big missed opportunities. I have always maintained that had Brian Clough/Peter Taylor been in charge in '80 and '82 we would have gone a whole lot closer in both than we did under Greenwood.

The bloke had never done anything with West Ham even when he had Moore, Peters and Hurst at their peak at his disposal who were perennial strugglers in the old first division. Sixth I think was the highest league placing they managed under him.

When he took over initially as caretaker he hadn't been a club manager for three years. The five years he was England manager were wasted IMO
[Post edited 16 Nov 2022 14:31]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:41 - Nov 16 with 2898 viewsMoonshineSteve

It was an odd appointment, but the FA seemingly had strange unwritten criteria back then.

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:49 - Nov 16 with 2873 viewsthemodfather

well england face a tough 2nd rd , if we get out of the group .... could be holland, spain or germany , then could be france or argentina. nah. ni bunting this time going up.
balls to fifa balls to the desert blood cup.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:11 - Nov 16 with 2845 viewsCamberleyR

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:41 - Nov 16 by MoonshineSteve

It was an odd appointment, but the FA seemingly had strange unwritten criteria back then.

I think to be honest, after the Revie debacle and him walking out on England to manage the UAE, the FA were looking for a safe, non threatening yes man, hence why he got the job and he got the job without even being interviewed for it when Cloughie, Lawrie McMenemy etc had been interviewed for it.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:16 - Nov 16 with 2831 viewsRangersw12

Fake fans are fine as nothing will be as bad as those vuvuzelas at 2010 World Cup as they completely ruined any atmosphere
FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:59 - Nov 16 with 2783 viewsToast_R

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:49 - Nov 16 by themodfather

well england face a tough 2nd rd , if we get out of the group .... could be holland, spain or germany , then could be france or argentina. nah. ni bunting this time going up.
balls to fifa balls to the desert blood cup.

Winner or R'up in group A isn't it?
Likely to be Senegal in second round isn't it? But lets face it, it rarely opens up with the favourites going through in the order you think, so we'll see
FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:44 - Nov 16 with 2731 viewstoboboly

Guys, give non-league a go. Seriously, it will be far more fun than this. There's even an ongoing thread on this very forum.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:46 - Nov 16 with 2729 viewstoboboly

Even the vegans are fcked

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:25 - Nov 16 with 2680 viewsMick_S

The Platini ones are well dodgy.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:27 - Nov 16 with 2674 viewsMick_S

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:46 - Nov 16 by toboboly

Even the vegans are fcked

That looks lovely.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 19:22 - Nov 16 with 2607 viewsJimmyR

https://www.spellingmistakescostlives.com/product-page/qatar-2022-football-stick

Can’t wait for North Korea 2026!
FIFA World Cup thread. on 19:40 - Nov 16 with 2579 viewspaulparker

This World Cup is the death nail imo for future tournaments
To me this is the equivalent of Man Utd not participating in the fa cup 20 years ago which was the start of the decline for that competition
Plastic venue, made up fans and a place where it’s £15 a pint , contrast that to Italia 90 I’ve been watching the documentaries and it was probably the last World Cup where you could turn up on the day of the game, camp somewhere and get tickets
That tournament to this is night and day
This has all the feel of the African cup of nations and for the first time in my life I couldn’t really care what happens to England
The only bonus is we don’t have to watch QPR for the next few weeks

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:06 - Nov 16 with 2548 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

FIFA World Cup thread. on 19:40 - Nov 16 by paulparker

This World Cup is the death nail imo for future tournaments
To me this is the equivalent of Man Utd not participating in the fa cup 20 years ago which was the start of the decline for that competition
Plastic venue, made up fans and a place where it’s £15 a pint , contrast that to Italia 90 I’ve been watching the documentaries and it was probably the last World Cup where you could turn up on the day of the game, camp somewhere and get tickets
That tournament to this is night and day
This has all the feel of the African cup of nations and for the first time in my life I couldn’t really care what happens to England
The only bonus is we don’t have to watch QPR for the next few weeks

I dunno mate I think Mexico will be class. Canada less so haha

Big pressure to get 2030 right. Imagine if England held it.

Bids so far:

- Uruguay—Argentina—Chile—Paraguay

- Spain—Portugal—Ukraine
(imagine winning in Porto then having to go to Donetsk for next round)

- Egypt—Greece—Saudi Arabia
[Post edited 16 Nov 2022 20:31]
FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:38 - Nov 16 with 2512 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Anyone remember the World Cup 90 Panini TV advert with Brian Clough?
"World Cup 90, I'd watch out for it if I were you".
FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:47 - Nov 16 with 2492 viewsterryb

FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:26 - Nov 15 by enfieldargh

I heard that some of the England Band (who I cant stand; up there with voovoozalas) are being sponsored by the Qataries to promote positive feed back, been given superior(subsidised) accom and free match tickets.

In return they have to post positve stuff on social media and allow Qatar media to follow them arond a bit.

OPening game Qatar V Ecuador does clash with the SFL Cup match between Broomhill v Alloa Athletic so match choice there

The opening match is Senegal against Netherlands at 10.00am next Monday (our time). England would have also played before Qatar take to the pitch & Broomhill play Alloa on the 5th day of the World Cup.

Looking at the matches that kick off at this time (13.00 Qatar time) would sugest that the countries were carefully selected. All feature an African, Middle East or Central American country, but not the hosts!

England have come out of the match times quite well, but it is the USA that have hit the jackpot with three 22.00 (Qatar) kick offs.

I always enjoy World Cups after England have left the stage & expect that to be at the quarter finals this year. However, I wouldn't take Netherlands, Senegal, Ecuador or Qatar has pushovers in the second round. I think Ecuador could be a real surprise.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:21 - Nov 16 with 2462 viewsToast_R

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:38 - Nov 16 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Anyone remember the World Cup 90 Panini TV advert with Brian Clough?
"World Cup 90, I'd watch out for it if I were you".

That was Orbis's World Cup 90 sticker magazine collection. My brother still has his collection in the original binder. Started in early 1990 and they released an bi-weekly issue up until the world cup started. It was that that really got me into the World Cup and I learnt a hell of a lot from reading all the World Cup 90 issues. That really was something not seen since.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2021/07/16/orbis-world-cup-1990-the-greatest-soccer-
FIFA World Cup thread. on 23:08 - Nov 16 with 2389 viewsMoonshineSteve

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:47 - Nov 16 by terryb

The opening match is Senegal against Netherlands at 10.00am next Monday (our time). England would have also played before Qatar take to the pitch & Broomhill play Alloa on the 5th day of the World Cup.

Looking at the matches that kick off at this time (13.00 Qatar time) would sugest that the countries were carefully selected. All feature an African, Middle East or Central American country, but not the hosts!

England have come out of the match times quite well, but it is the USA that have hit the jackpot with three 22.00 (Qatar) kick offs.

I always enjoy World Cups after England have left the stage & expect that to be at the quarter finals this year. However, I wouldn't take Netherlands, Senegal, Ecuador or Qatar has pushovers in the second round. I think Ecuador could be a real surprise.

Why do you enjoy it when England are out Terry?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 09:58 - Nov 17 with 2262 viewsterryb

FIFA World Cup thread. on 23:08 - Nov 16 by MoonshineSteve

Why do you enjoy it when England are out Terry?

I hope I can explain this correctly! It is definitely not an anti England feeling.

Firstly, instead of being pre-occupied with how England are doing, I can concerntrate on which countries are playing the best & most entertaining football.

Secondly, in most World Cups, England have been fairly dire & have not deserved to pregress far. This even applies to 1990, where the best that we played was in the semi final against West Germany. It is hard to think of any match prior to that where a win was deserved - possibly The Netherlands.

Thirdly, we no longer have to hear all the hyperbole & tripe from the media!

I have no idea who were the best in 2018 as we could/should have reached the final & that was all that mattered. Did we play well though? It was certainly the easiest I have seen Sweden defeated & outplayed, but that was all.

Perhaps enjoyment through being relaxes is a better discription.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024