Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FIFA World Cup thread. 12:02 - Nov 15 with 124301 viewsSnipper

I’m trying to get excited about this World Cup, but to no avail :-((.

I’ve just watched Sky Sports World Cup preview with Gary Neville, Jamie Redknapp, Jamie Carragher & Karen Carney. Utterly depressing viewing. Same old, same old. Picking players for the starting XI not playing for their clubs, or totally off form.

I’m hoping this thread can get the juices flowing.

Do any of you think England have a chance?
FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:10 - Nov 18 with 3269 viewsPlanetHonneywood

FIFA World Cup thread. on 09:33 - Nov 18 by daveB

Oh yeah wasn't for a second suggesting he was right just that it's quite hard to get to the actual truth these days. My misses said does he mean 3,000 but then he said again just 3 people. Was laughable to be honest

I know a few people who flew out yesterday to Qatar working behind the scenes at ITV, they are dreading it and already a lot of the things promised are being wihtdrawn. I think on the pitch it could be really good with it being quite an open tournament but off it looks an absolute mess.

I read this morning that there is a last minute effort to move alcohol away from the grounds.

If true, then it's odd that I was told this was likely to happen a few years ago. It thus seems incredible that Bud/FIFA might be caught out at this late stage and goes against what Q were saying.

Booze was never cheap there - which is fine it's a muslim country - but some of the prices quoted and for phissy Bud....nah thanks!!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:22 - Nov 18 with 3245 viewsdaveB

New version of 3 Lions, I mean it's not great but did make me laugh in places

FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:27 - Nov 18 with 3232 viewsGloryHunter

FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:10 - Nov 18 by PlanetHonneywood

I read this morning that there is a last minute effort to move alcohol away from the grounds.

If true, then it's odd that I was told this was likely to happen a few years ago. It thus seems incredible that Bud/FIFA might be caught out at this late stage and goes against what Q were saying.

Booze was never cheap there - which is fine it's a muslim country - but some of the prices quoted and for phissy Bud....nah thanks!!

Interesting that they've left it till the last minute to announce the ban on stadium beer sales. After fans have already bought tickets and booked flights.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2022/nov/18/world-cup-2022-countdown-t
FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:44 - Nov 18 with 3196 viewsPlanetHonneywood

FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:27 - Nov 18 by GloryHunter

Interesting that they've left it till the last minute to announce the ban on stadium beer sales. After fans have already bought tickets and booked flights.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2022/nov/18/world-cup-2022-countdown-t

Isn't it!

This was planned well in advance. While I would rather drink my own phish than Bud, I hope they sue FIFA's ass for breach of contract.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!

FIFA World Cup thread. on 12:05 - Nov 18 with 3157 viewsToast_R

No sickly tasteless rice beer sold at the Stadium? The punters have had a touch.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 12:22 - Nov 18 with 3120 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:27 - Nov 18 by GloryHunter

FIFA World Cup thread. on 12:27 - Nov 18 with 3120 viewsEastR

FIFA World Cup thread. on 12:22 - Nov 18 by BazzaInTheLoft

Football is nothing without supporters, and absolute monarchies

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 13:50 - Nov 18 with 3001 viewsPlanetHonneywood

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:46 - Nov 16 by toboboly

Even the vegans are fcked

Somewhat ironic that the Qatari national dish is called 'foul', whereas that just looks plain fookin nasty.

Login to get fewer ads

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:42 - Nov 18 with 2879 viewsMick_S

FIFA World Cup thread. on 13:50 - Nov 18 by PlanetHonneywood

Somewhat ironic that the Qatari national dish is called 'foul', whereas that just looks plain fookin nasty.

Looks like a 4-5-1 with the olive leading the attack. It’s a mess, Johnny boy.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:46 - Nov 18 with 2868 viewsstowmarketrange

FIFA World Cup thread. on 13:50 - Nov 18 by PlanetHonneywood

Do the Qataris have food banks?
FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:26 - Nov 18 with 2800 viewsessextaxiboy

FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:44 - Nov 18 by PlanetHonneywood

Isn't it!

This was planned well in advance. While I would rather drink my own phish than Bud, I hope they sue FIFA's ass for breach of contract.

No contract is signed without the OK from FIFA legal . Its not about the match sales anyway but about Buds right to use the WC brand in worldwide marketing .

Even if it is a surprise Bud wont sue . its all about 2026
FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:42 - Nov 18 with 2774 viewsdaveB

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:26 - Nov 18 by essextaxiboy

No contract is signed without the OK from FIFA legal . Its not about the match sales anyway but about Buds right to use the WC brand in worldwide marketing .

Even if it is a surprise Bud wont sue . its all about 2026

They won't sue but they can have a lot of the money back they paid to have their beer sold in fan parks and stadiums
FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:58 - Nov 18 with 2744 viewsLimehouseR

Yet another reason I won't be watching this World Cup.
So they won't allow ordinary fans any alcohol (yes I know it is only Budweiser but still) yet those in the corporate areas will still be able to purchase it in the stadiums?

I won't list the numerous other reasons, they've been mentioned already in this thread and others. My girlfriend doesn't yet believe me that I won't be watching any of it but she's going to be in for a shock!

I will however watch any news reports that show any half decent protests or discord!
We all shouldn't forget that there are numerous things wrong with the game in this country too which is why I have unfortunately lost a lot of love for football. I still follow the R's and I will always have extremely fond memories but life was simpler back then (at least I thought so at the time!)...
FIFA World Cup thread. on 19:15 - Nov 18 with 2693 viewseastside_r

FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:44 - Nov 18 by PlanetHonneywood

Isn't it!

Absolutely no surprise that the Qataris have done this.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:04 - Nov 18 with 2647 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Just been told by a friend in the FSA that the beer ban doesn’t extend to corporate tickets.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:42 - Nov 19 with 2487 viewsPlanetHonneywood

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:46 - Nov 18 by stowmarketrange

Do the Qataris have food banks?

8% of Qatar's crab, lobster, truffle, foie gras, kopi luwak, kobe beef and other similar necessities are given directly to food banks.

FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:40 - Nov 19 with 2452 viewsGloryHunter

Looks like there has been a U-turn on the "paid for fans" scheme, as well. They've had their daily payments stopped.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/18/fans-paid-to-attend-world-cup-b
FIFA World Cup thread. on 12:33 - Nov 19 with 2375 viewsPlanetHonneywood

FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:40 - Nov 19 by GloryHunter

Looks like there has been a U-turn on the "paid for fans" scheme, as well. They've had their daily payments stopped.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/18/fans-paid-to-attend-world-cup-b

Hilarious!

I've always laid a caveat when discussing the progress made on labour law reforms there, that promises made to continue reforms post-WC will be the true marker of their intentions when the circus packs up and goes elsewhere.

Only then will we truly know if it was all hogwash or they're genuine.

FIFA World Cup thread. on 13:59 - Nov 19 with 2318 viewskensalriser

FIFA World Cup thread. on 12:33 - Nov 19 by PlanetHonneywood

Hilarious!

I've always laid a caveat when discussing the progress made on labour law reforms there, that promises made to continue reforms post-WC will be the true marker of their intentions when the circus packs up and goes elsewhere.

Only then will we truly know if it was all hogwash or they're genuine.

They won't do shit. The World Cup is all about the desire to be a respected member of the international community, but like all authoritarian regimes habituated to being in control, they're finding it difficult to grasp that controlling the narrative in the wider world isn't quite so easy. Net result, all the WC has done is shone a spotlight on all their junk.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:33 - Nov 19 with 2276 viewsSonofpugwash

We were talking about this in the pub last night and the question was "name 3 famous Qatar players".The general concensus was Eric Clapton,Jimi Hendrix and Gary Moore.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:08 - Nov 19 with 2242 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Look at what that clown Infantino said today about European countries protesting the WC and how he described the upcoming competition .
I thought Blatter and Platini being kicked out would help that corrupt FIFA but its not even close with this fraud.
Apparantly the US were so confident they were getting this World Cup even Bill Clinton was in the room ready to celebrate but the dirty money paid off for Qatar.
Quatar are in charge here make no mistake and the tension even amount the journalists is rising before a ball is kicked .
FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:30 - Nov 19 with 2210 viewsessextaxiboy

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:42 - Nov 18 by daveB

They won't sue but they can have a lot of the money back they paid to have their beer sold in fan parks and stadiums

They will still be selling Alcohol Free at the stadiums , and they are getting loads of exposure through this .
How many people knew who the beer partner was a week ago compared to today ?
FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:45 - Nov 19 with 2080 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

I've just realised that I have seen zero adverts regarding the World Cup. Usually McDonald's, Budweiser etc adverts are all over the TV with their corporate tie ins, but I can't recall seeing a single one.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:50 - Nov 19 with 2071 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Anyone seen the photos coming out of the ‘Fan Villages’?

Fyre Festival all over again

FIFA World Cup thread. on 04:32 - Nov 20 with 1923 viewsKiwi76

Have mate heading up - going to lot of early games, sometimes 2-3 in a day. Probably good option as feck all else to do.
Cost approx £15k from down here & think even now accom is a little TBC - think maybe cruise ship?
Definitely on my bucket list to go to a WC but never this one.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024