Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FIFA World Cup thread. 12:02 - Nov 15 with 124303 viewsSnipper

I’m trying to get excited about this World Cup, but to no avail :-((.

I’ve just watched Sky Sports World Cup preview with Gary Neville, Jamie Redknapp, Jamie Carragher & Karen Carney. Utterly depressing viewing. Same old, same old. Picking players for the starting XI not playing for their clubs, or totally off form.

I’m hoping this thread can get the juices flowing.

Do any of you think England have a chance?
FIFA World Cup thread. on 13:29 - Nov 17 with 2715 viewsPlanetHonneywood

FIFA World Cup thread. on 19:40 - Nov 16 by paulparker

This World Cup is the death nail imo for future tournaments
To me this is the equivalent of Man Utd not participating in the fa cup 20 years ago which was the start of the decline for that competition
Plastic venue, made up fans and a place where it’s £15 a pint , contrast that to Italia 90 I’ve been watching the documentaries and it was probably the last World Cup where you could turn up on the day of the game, camp somewhere and get tickets
That tournament to this is night and day
This has all the feel of the African cup of nations and for the first time in my life I couldn’t really care what happens to England
The only bonus is we don’t have to watch QPR for the next few weeks

Been saying for a while that football's fortunes are due for a change. After 66, football seemed to decline until Italia 90, when interest picked up and then went bonkers once Sky came in. Could Qatar see things reverse if we have a poor WC?

As for United, I think they've been unfairly criticised. As I recall they were forced to go to Brazil, as the FA wanted them present so they could go over there to press the flesh as we were bidding to host a WC and if United didn't go, the FA were worried about the negative publicity. Remember back then, the WCC was a nothing event.

United rightly pointed out that the problems this caused them playing in the 3rd round i.e. having to play a mix of reserves and youth as their whole first team squad were expected in Rio.

They asked for a bye to the fourth round and again, I also think they even asked for a delayed third round tie. The FA said no, so they said OK.

To be honest United's non-participation then wasn't the issue, its QPR not playing in the early 30s due to forgetting to send in the application form that started the rot. Oh and the Champions League fixation.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:07 - Nov 17 with 2633 viewsR_from_afar

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:38 - Nov 16 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Anyone remember the World Cup 90 Panini TV advert with Brian Clough?
"World Cup 90, I'd watch out for it if I were you".

I couldn't remember it but I was able to find it. Voila!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:21 - Nov 17 with 2521 viewsG_Ottershaw

....all this negativity, remember boys and girls it's about the legacy, the legacy being if you have enough money you can buy just about anything.... football stadia, associations, former sports starts, tv pundits, amateur brass bands and let's not forget the workers, although apparently a few of them never made it to the end of the project so the finance department are now quite upbeat having kept costs to a minimum.
Its not the taking part that counts, but the size of your bank account afterwards...
FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:24 - Nov 17 with 2511 viewsdistortR

FIFA World Cup thread. on 13:29 - Nov 17 by PlanetHonneywood

Been saying for a while that football's fortunes are due for a change. After 66, football seemed to decline until Italia 90, when interest picked up and then went bonkers once Sky came in. Could Qatar see things reverse if we have a poor WC?

As for United, I think they've been unfairly criticised. As I recall they were forced to go to Brazil, as the FA wanted them present so they could go over there to press the flesh as we were bidding to host a WC and if United didn't go, the FA were worried about the negative publicity. Remember back then, the WCC was a nothing event.

United rightly pointed out that the problems this caused them playing in the 3rd round i.e. having to play a mix of reserves and youth as their whole first team squad were expected in Rio.

They asked for a bye to the fourth round and again, I also think they even asked for a delayed third round tie. The FA said no, so they said OK.

To be honest United's non-participation then wasn't the issue, its QPR not playing in the early 30s due to forgetting to send in the application form that started the rot. Oh and the Champions League fixation.

QPR have a champions league fixation?
FIFA World Cup thread. on 19:12 - Nov 17 with 2462 viewsaston_hoop

Sadio Mane out of the World Cup which boosts our chances of Seny starting against Burnley!

Also according to some journo, Qatar are going to beat Ecuador 1-0 with a second half winner.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 19:25 - Nov 17 with 2443 viewsMoonshineSteve

FIFA World Cup thread. on 09:58 - Nov 17 by terryb

I hope I can explain this correctly! It is definitely not an anti England feeling.

Firstly, instead of being pre-occupied with how England are doing, I can concerntrate on which countries are playing the best & most entertaining football.

Secondly, in most World Cups, England have been fairly dire & have not deserved to pregress far. This even applies to 1990, where the best that we played was in the semi final against West Germany. It is hard to think of any match prior to that where a win was deserved - possibly The Netherlands.

Thirdly, we no longer have to hear all the hyperbole & tripe from the media!

I have no idea who were the best in 2018 as we could/should have reached the final & that was all that mattered. Did we play well though? It was certainly the easiest I have seen Sweden defeated & outplayed, but that was all.

Perhaps enjoyment through being relaxes is a better discription.

I wondered if it was something like that. Excessive hype, hysteria and expectation.

Have to say I quite enjoy that.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

FIFA World Cup thread. on 19:45 - Nov 17 with 2409 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:07 - Nov 17 by R_from_afar

I couldn't remember it but I was able to find it. Voila!

God,that brings back memories. Stickers and a binder, what was not to like?!

World Cup 2022 I'd watch out for it if your Gay, drink a beer, immigrant worker etc. Absolutely zero interest, except the sweep stake of course.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:44 - Nov 17 with 2347 viewsClive_Anderson

Have we done the mascot for the tournament yet? I like how he appears to be doing a Nazi salute....nice touch that. Also his tail seems to be made from a whip that was no doubt used for flogging the workers.

Login to get fewer ads

FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:13 - Nov 17 with 2317 viewsBlackCrowe

Just watched the FIFA documentary on Netfix....incredible and depressing in massive equal measure. Even the anti-christ Blatter (god he's sub-human) knew that Qatar was a terrible idea and would kill the FIFA gravy-train of personal bank-account filling and mass-scale corruption.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:14 - Nov 17 with 2317 viewsHAYESBOY

Chair goy 30 mins as a sub in warm up game v Georgia. Ziyech scored a wonder goal from own half.

Smells like a trout farm in here

FIFA World Cup thread. on 23:07 - Nov 17 with 2247 viewsaston_hoop

FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:14 - Nov 17 by HAYESBOY

Chair goy 30 mins as a sub in warm up game v Georgia. Ziyech scored a wonder goal from own half.

Watched the clip of the Ziyech goal, was wondering if Georgia had appointed Mark Warburton as manager!! Great possession based defending

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 23:25 - Nov 17 with 2220 viewsLongsufferingR

FIFA World Cup thread. on 19:12 - Nov 17 by aston_hoop

Sadio Mane out of the World Cup which boosts our chances of Seny starting against Burnley!

Also according to some journo, Qatar are going to beat Ecuador 1-0 with a second half winner.

"Also according to some journo, Qatar are going to beat Ecuador 1-0 with a second half winner."

Was thinking exactly that. There's no way the powers that be will allow Qatar to lose every game, so thought this was quite likely and went to place a bet. Unfortunately it's only 9/1 when it should be more like 14/1 or 16/1 given the stature of the two teams.

Remember South Korea v Italy at the World Cup in Korea? Bent as they come.

Correction - now 15/2!
[Post edited 17 Nov 2022 23:26]
FIFA World Cup thread. on 23:37 - Nov 17 with 2199 viewsdaveB

FIFA World Cup thread. on 23:25 - Nov 17 by LongsufferingR

"Also according to some journo, Qatar are going to beat Ecuador 1-0 with a second half winner."

Was thinking exactly that. There's no way the powers that be will allow Qatar to lose every game, so thought this was quite likely and went to place a bet. Unfortunately it's only 9/1 when it should be more like 14/1 or 16/1 given the stature of the two teams.

Remember South Korea v Italy at the World Cup in Korea? Bent as they come.

Correction - now 15/2!
[Post edited 17 Nov 2022 23:26]

Didn't they win the Asia cup last year as well, wouldn't be shocked to see Qatar get out of that group especially with Mane out injured
FIFA World Cup thread. on 00:23 - Nov 18 with 2185 viewsPlanetHonneywood

FIFA World Cup thread. on 23:37 - Nov 17 by daveB

Didn't they win the Asia cup last year as well, wouldn't be shocked to see Qatar get out of that group especially with Mane out injured

Q won it in 2019, beating Japan 3-1 in a cracking game and I don't think the Japs would take a bung.

The tournament was held in the UAE, and Q beat UAE in the semi. Now the significance of this was the fact that relations between the two were so bad, that Q had to base themselves in Oman and fly in and out for each game. Plus, not as if the Emirates need the cash.

So putting it in simple terms: it would be like thinking Scotland would take a bung to let England beat them so they get to play in the final in Glasgow.

I think Q also beat South Korea or Australia (might be wrong) along the way.

They've got a well drilled side, and their coach has worked with them from u21 level. Star player a lad called Afif - who can play; their captain is good and his teeth so large and white, he makes Klopp look like Steptoe. The left back useful too. Striker needs a few shots before he discovers where the goal is. Don't be surprised if they roll around a bit.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!

FIFA World Cup thread. on 00:36 - Nov 18 with 2178 viewsqpr1976

FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:29 - Nov 16 by daveB

What is the death toll as the numbers seem different depending on where you go. Some say 15,000, some say 6,000, the Gary Neville doc the other night the bloke said it was just 3 people who died when he spoke to an organiser. So hard to get to the truth these days

Qatar say 3, other sources say over 5,000

As above the Fifa Uncovered docu on Netflix is telling, albeit 4 hours worth.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 00:43 - Nov 18 with 2174 viewsqpr1976

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:06 - Nov 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

I dunno mate I think Mexico will be class. Canada less so haha

Big pressure to get 2030 right. Imagine if England held it.

Bids so far:

- Uruguay—Argentina—Chile—Paraguay

- Spain—Portugal—Ukraine
(imagine winning in Porto then having to go to Donetsk for next round)

- Egypt—Greece—Saudi Arabia
[Post edited 16 Nov 2022 20:31]

Haven’t England declined ‘30, opting instead for Euro ‘28 with our noisy neighbours ?
FIFA World Cup thread. on 00:47 - Nov 18 with 2174 viewsqpr1976

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:47 - Nov 16 by terryb

The opening match is Senegal against Netherlands at 10.00am next Monday (our time). England would have also played before Qatar take to the pitch & Broomhill play Alloa on the 5th day of the World Cup.

Looking at the matches that kick off at this time (13.00 Qatar time) would sugest that the countries were carefully selected. All feature an African, Middle East or Central American country, but not the hosts!

England have come out of the match times quite well, but it is the USA that have hit the jackpot with three 22.00 (Qatar) kick offs.

I always enjoy World Cups after England have left the stage & expect that to be at the quarter finals this year. However, I wouldn't take Netherlands, Senegal, Ecuador or Qatar has pushovers in the second round. I think Ecuador could be a real surprise.

I think the opening match is Sunday 16:00 GMT with (in time honoured tradition) Hosts Qatar facing Ecuador. Then 3 games Monday…..
FIFA World Cup thread. on 00:53 - Nov 18 with 2171 viewsqpr1976

FIFA World Cup thread. on 13:29 - Nov 17 by PlanetHonneywood

Mostly accurate I think.

Although, in my mind, I vaguely recall 1926 being the year we ‘forgot’ to enter.

And weird how Man Utd (& most of the Premier League and some of the Championship) have selected reserve sides in the early rounds, almost every year since !! Oh the irony.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 00:55 - Nov 18 with 2168 viewsDannyPaddox

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:44 - Nov 17 by Clive_Anderson

Have we done the mascot for the tournament yet? I like how he appears to be doing a Nazi salute....nice touch that. Also his tail seems to be made from a whip that was no doubt used for flogging the workers.

It’s Casper the friendly migrant worker ghost
FIFA World Cup thread. on 01:55 - Nov 18 with 2130 viewsMiss_Terraces

FIFA World Cup thread. on 00:55 - Nov 18 by DannyPaddox

It’s Casper the friendly migrant worker ghost

I imagine he tells the others to get stuck in whilst not getting stuck in himself.
I really can not stand Jermaine Jenas

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 06:44 - Nov 18 with 2009 viewsPlanetHonneywood

FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:29 - Nov 16 by daveB

What is the death toll as the numbers seem different depending on where you go. Some say 15,000, some say 6,000, the Gary Neville doc the other night the bloke said it was just 3 people who died when he spoke to an organiser. So hard to get to the truth these days

Three is utterly ridiculous!

The bloke saying that is giving ammo to Q's critics. Not sure what the fatality rate ordinarily is on British building sites or on other big-builds for sporting events, but three is as unlikely to be correct as could possibly be imaginable.

The 6,500 figure was based on South Asian workers only, and didn't include Africans, Filipinos and other nationalities. But also, good quality, safe and proper data gathering and analysis was woeful in 2010 when Q started building. Sad truth is, I doubt we'll really know the true figure.

Here's a link to UN figures for 2020 compiled by my old lot, that sets a figure of 50 for that year only. It delves into data gathering and analysis and I'm sure will be as efficient as cocoa in getting you to sleep.

Fact is and as I've said before: awarding the circus to a young country who had to build everything bar one stadium and had poor systems and procedures at the time things started, was the source of all the subsequent problems.

The saddest thing is as I listen to the Beeb, it seems attention is already shifting to: well we are here now so let's get on with the football. The legacy and duty is to hold Q to their promises after the WC circus leaves. Of course, the pressure is somewhat off.

FIFA World Cup thread. on 09:33 - Nov 18 with 1861 viewsdaveB

FIFA World Cup thread. on 06:44 - Nov 18 by PlanetHonneywood

Three is utterly ridiculous!

The bloke saying that is giving ammo to Q's critics. Not sure what the fatality rate ordinarily is on British building sites or on other big-builds for sporting events, but three is as unlikely to be correct as could possibly be imaginable.

The 6,500 figure was based on South Asian workers only, and didn't include Africans, Filipinos and other nationalities. But also, good quality, safe and proper data gathering and analysis was woeful in 2010 when Q started building. Sad truth is, I doubt we'll really know the true figure.

Here's a link to UN figures for 2020 compiled by my old lot, that sets a figure of 50 for that year only. It delves into data gathering and analysis and I'm sure will be as efficient as cocoa in getting you to sleep.

Fact is and as I've said before: awarding the circus to a young country who had to build everything bar one stadium and had poor systems and procedures at the time things started, was the source of all the subsequent problems.

The saddest thing is as I listen to the Beeb, it seems attention is already shifting to: well we are here now so let's get on with the football. The legacy and duty is to hold Q to their promises after the WC circus leaves. Of course, the pressure is somewhat off.

Oh yeah wasn't for a second suggesting he was right just that it's quite hard to get to the actual truth these days. My misses said does he mean 3,000 but then he said again just 3 people. Was laughable to be honest

I know a few people who flew out yesterday to Qatar working behind the scenes at ITV, they are dreading it and already a lot of the things promised are being wihtdrawn. I think on the pitch it could be really good with it being quite an open tournament but off it looks an absolute mess.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:15 - Nov 18 with 1822 viewsterryb

FIFA World Cup thread. on 00:47 - Nov 18 by qpr1976

I think the opening match is Sunday 16:00 GMT with (in time honoured tradition) Hosts Qatar facing Ecuador. Then 3 games Monday…..

My apologies.

That should teach me to go by a chart rather than looking at the official listing!

Apologies to Enfield as well.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:18 - Nov 18 with 1819 viewsRs_Holy

modern day international football ... sh!te isn't it ... all shiny, and polished with VAR to 'enhance' the experience.... 1970 - 1998 was different gravy
FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:05 - Nov 18 with 1787 viewsSonofpugwash

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2022-beer-banned-qatar-fifa-

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024