Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bradford City match thread 19:48 - Apr 14 with 16860 viewsEllDale

Go on then, someone has to ask the traditional question….is it on?
Plenty of rain coming down.
Bradford City match thread on 20:45 - Apr 15 with 3522 viewsNigelWatson

Bradford City match thread on 19:50 - Apr 15 by 442Dale

The comments about the fans make no sense. We know that playing a goal kick to either of our centre halves stood next to our keeper invites pressure. If it leads to one goalscoring chance it’s one too many.

There’s a difference between not wanting to see dangerous, pointless passing and saying fans want to go direct. We want to see effective, forward thinking, passing football.

McNulty knows far more about football than you. You pay money to watch football, but you don't understand what you're watching. The gerrit forward type moans form the fans undermine the players and the management. His comments make perfect sense.
Bradford City match thread on 21:01 - Apr 15 with 3373 viewskel

Bradford City match thread on 20:45 - Apr 15 by NigelWatson

McNulty knows far more about football than you. You pay money to watch football, but you don't understand what you're watching. The gerrit forward type moans form the fans undermine the players and the management. His comments make perfect sense.

And you know balls all about most things but it doesn't stop you talking shite on YouTube.
Bradford City match thread on 21:05 - Apr 15 with 3351 views442Dale

Keep trying.

Jim can too.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Bradford City match thread on 21:05 - Apr 15 with 3337 viewsdingdangblue

I think the last 3 games caught up with the players today. Certainly Taylor,Lloyd and Brierley were guilty of a massive dip from their recent form. It was only to be expected I think as we've used basically the same 11 starters for McNulty's 3 games previously. Bradford were streets ahead of us today but it still took 2 set pieces goals and a deflection to beat us. Just noticed that Tranmere missed a late penalty and the rebound at Crawley too. 6 points behind with 4 to play looked an improbable ask. 8 points is impossible.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Bradford City match thread on 21:08 - Apr 15 with 3340 viewsEllDale

The absence of Dodgson made the balance of the team appear unbalanced as well.
The only naturally left footed player was playing on the right wing.
SAJ had one remarkable season but that was playing at wingback.
He’s completely in his shell when it comes to attack now.
To think we were all upset at one time of him leaving for the likes of Accrington.
And comments about Mellor are correct.
Tireless and willing yes, skilful no.
Bradford City match thread on 21:12 - Apr 15 with 3302 viewsD_Alien

When did you last attend a football match?

I only ask, because your comments about his comments make perfect sense for someone who doesn't attend live Dale matches

We're bottom of the football league. We got turned over, humiliated (the team) and all you can do is make pathetic cheap jibes about people you have no understanding about, but who had you worked out in short order

You're a busted flush Watson

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Bradford City match thread on 21:17 - Apr 15 with 3275 viewsLaveritty

Bradford City match thread on 20:11 - Apr 15 by TalkingSutty

That interview tells you all you need to know. Of course the fans were a bit nervous and anxious, we expected to see a team fighting for their life's and playing on the front foot. It was a do or die game and we played it at walking pace, hardly put a tackle in and just handed them them the first goal on a plate. You would never have thought that we were fighting for our EFL existence today, it was a surrender from the start to finish. McNulty looked like he was trying his hardest not to laugh throughout that interview. He needs to go with the majority of his team mates but will probably be given the job because it will save money. That's the ambition that this club now has.

Can’t be bothered to listen to his interview as I am sure it would only depress me even further. But if, from the above comments, I am to infer that Jim is trying to place some of the blame for that inept performance on the fans’ anxiety then I can’t say I am too surprised! I sit behind the home dugout and towards the end of the first half, after yet another near catastrophic cock up at the back between (I think) ROD and EEL, I shouted “Get it sorted Jim!” He turned and glowered in my general direction as if to say “shut up” and then turned back round, applauded the players and shouted “Well played Roddy!” (Presumably meaning ROD?) Really? I despair! No wonder we are where we are! 😩

Poll: Would you prefer relegation to happen…

Bradford City match thread on 22:40 - Apr 15 with 2980 viewsTrev

Must be a new record for a manager to be criticising the fans so soon into his tenure.

I really hope we don't start next season with McNulty at the helm. I think we need a complete clean break and fresh start. I can't listen to anymore talk of philosophies nor watch bang average footballers trying to play like prime Barca.
Login to get fewer ads

Bradford City match thread on 23:23 - Apr 15 with 2865 viewsShun

Bradford City match thread on 21:08 - Apr 15 by EllDale

The absence of Dodgson made the balance of the team appear unbalanced as well.
The only naturally left footed player was playing on the right wing.
SAJ had one remarkable season but that was playing at wingback.
He’s completely in his shell when it comes to attack now.
To think we were all upset at one time of him leaving for the likes of Accrington.
And comments about Mellor are correct.
Tireless and willing yes, skilful no.

Keohane’s been absolutely dire all season, one of our very worst players. Performance-wise I’d put him in the same category as players like Eastwood, Ball and John, though at least his attitude doesn’t stink as bad as those of the latter two. I’m stunned he’s played as many times as he has done this season.

I’m a fan of Seriki so I’m surprised he’s barely featured since last year. I thought Mullarkey looked awkward at RB today too.
Bradford City match thread on 01:37 - Apr 16 with 2698 viewsCarbonDale

Next season may be the most important in the club's history. Can't say I'm full of optimism that we have the right people (players/manager/board) to stop us falling into oblivion. Our last ever league football games may be approaching.
Bradford City match thread on 02:04 - Apr 16 with 2681 viewsdalian

On today's game... a rather meek defeat to opposition who, let's face it weren't that good. First minute, a 50-50 challenge, meekly turned down in a local derby. The scene was set. 3 mins in, yet another soft goal from a set piece just outside the area. I wouldn't mind if Bradford were half decent but they were nothing special, just stronger and wanted it more. The fact they're in the play offs speaks volumes for this division. We've been missing an enforcer/leader for 3 or 4 years now and it showed again today. We've such a soft underbelly it's untrue. You can't lay the blame at the kids like Brierley (who has a bright future) and Mellor. Despite the late 'resurgence' today's game showed us for what we are. Soft, with little quality and no options to change a game. Can't do the basics right. At the minimum, should be a getting a nil all draw against a limited team like Bradford today. We had more talent but much less brawn, desire and sharpness. We've been so soft for 3 or 4 seasons it's untrue.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2023 15:32]
Bradford City match thread on 07:13 - Apr 16 with 2563 viewsfrenzied

Mcnulty isn't the answer ..even if he'd kept us up.

The team have lacked the talent since day 1,at least Lloyd brought some light into the dark place we've been in since last Aug.

Of course he and Mullarkey will move on..shame really because LLoyd is the one wee could have built our new team around..but he owes us nothing im sure hes grateful for the opportunity to get his career on track again at Dale but hes paid us back in full.

It will be a good fight between Hartlepool and Crawley to see who joins us..they play each other next week.
Bradford City match thread on 09:18 - Apr 16 with 2354 viewsNorthernDale

It may sound selfish, but I would prefer Hartlepool to come down, simply due to the fact of the number of southern based teams in the national league, if Crawley go down, it could be up to 15 teams, of which most are based around London.
Bradford City match thread on 10:07 - Apr 16 with 2241 viewsDalenet

Bradford City match thread on 01:37 - Apr 16 by CarbonDale

Next season may be the most important in the club's history. Can't say I'm full of optimism that we have the right people (players/manager/board) to stop us falling into oblivion. Our last ever league football games may be approaching.

may be???????
Bradford City match thread on 10:40 - Apr 16 with 2172 views442Dale

Watched the interview again. On further reflection, it’s really disappointing.

“…I thought the fans were nervy today. I thought they were agitated with us when mistakes were happening early on… and I feel like there was some frustration from them when maybe we’re not going as direct as they want to. But, I would say that we’re trying to do the best thing for the squad that we’ve got…”

The fans were nervy as we started really poorly in a game we had to get a result from. They were agitated by avoidable mistakes down to the way we choose to play after going a goal down. If taking short goal kicks is the best thing for the two centre halves we’ve got, I suggest that the manager isn’t aware of what they are capable and comfortable doing.

McNulty has been a good servant to the club, unfortunately whilst he’s done well to get results and at least getting us playing better, I’m not sure his outlook on how he feels the game should be played matches that of a very fair fan base who like watching effective, passing football. Any frustration is from watching us do something that we all know is, at some stage, going to lead to an opportunity for the opposition.

He wasn’t here at the time, but watching a few games from the first few months of Keith Hill’s reign illustrate what a simple game this is, without the need to look at how elite teams play.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Bradford City match thread on 10:58 - Apr 16 with 2113 viewsD_Alien

Bradford City match thread on 10:40 - Apr 16 by 442Dale

“…I thought the fans were nervy today. I thought they were agitated with us when mistakes were happening early on… and I feel like there was some frustration from them when maybe we’re not going as direct as they want to. But, I would say that we’re trying to do the best thing for the squad that we’ve got…”

The fans were nervy as we started really poorly in a game we had to get a result from. They were agitated by avoidable mistakes down to the way we choose to play after going a goal down. If taking short goal kicks is the best thing for the two centre halves we’ve got, I suggest that the manager isn’t aware of what they are capable and comfortable doing.

McNulty has been a good servant to the club, unfortunately whilst he’s done well to get results and at least getting us playing better, I’m not sure his outlook on how he feels the game should be played matches that of a very fair fan base who like watching effective, passing football. Any frustration is from watching us do something that we all know is, at some stage, going to lead to an opportunity for the opposition.

He wasn’t here at the time, but watching a few games from the first few months of Keith Hill’s reign illustrate what a simple game this is, without the need to look at how elite teams play.

Watching Taylor's face when we had goalkicks, he was clearly unhappy about what he was being asked to do

Here's a direct message to the BoDs, for any of them who might be reading this thread:

I'm not going to pay to watch goalkicks which constantly pressurise us next season

Using that tactic once or twice to mix things up is fine, but its constant use just had the opposition forwards poised to pounce on the edge of the box. It's not clever, it's mindless

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Bradford City match thread on 11:08 - Apr 16 with 2087 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Bradford City match thread on 10:40 - Apr 16 by 442Dale

I was deeply worried and aghast at his interview, blaming fans for the performance rather than the other way round. Trying to play in a style that highly skilled top players do, is rather stupid when the standard of player is so poor. Even with decent ball playing defenders it's a risky tactic, let alone with ones who can barely kick a ball at times.

I disagree about him or indeed any player being a good servant. He has been paid for his services and there have been times when he got new contracts when many feel he should have been released. He has been treated well by the Dale. Like others, I want a clean break, a new manager, with National League experience possibly working with a new DOF again with preferably with NL experience, with tough, athletic experienced players, in the spine of the team. I want this new management team appointment asap, to be working on building a squad capable of at least competing in the NL, at providing some entertainment and wins, to at least give us hope of a top half finish, certainly a safe mid table finish.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Bradford City match thread on 11:42 - Apr 16 with 1977 viewsSaxonDale

Ironically I thought it was a good interview- he said what was wrong without really throwing anyone under the bus. Last few games we've seen Taylor being used as the centre back who has primarily got the ball forward and into feet- which we've seen with Odoh/ Henderson dropping deep to knit the play together.

The mistake from him yesterday which lead to the freekick for their first goal clearly impacted Taylor as he didn't really try many forward passes again, which meant the build up seemed slow and poor (which it was) as EEL doesn't have the ability to pick a forward pass consistently and Taylor was lacking in confidence. What resulted was sideways passes between the two for the majority of the second half. My criticism of Jim would be whilst his options are severely limited, he should have found a way to change it when it was becoming obvious this was happening.

I understand the frustration with playing short and would agree at times it's the wrong option, however we didn't have much luck when going longer yesterday simply because we didn't have the players on the pitch (or bench) to do it. The passing out from the back is designed to give our two best ball players in Kelly and Brierley as much space on the ball as possible- which I'm in favour of.
Bradford City match thread on 12:54 - Apr 16 with 1806 views49thseason

There are lots of reasons for choosing a manager, but his preferred style of goalkick comes pretty low on the agenda and would only be a problem if he was too stubborn to change if it was clearly required.

The variables to be considered will include type of experience, successes and failures, attitude to developing youth players, attacking or defensive mindset, leadership skills, links within the game, transfer market skills. Presumably, MRTK will be helping the board to draw up lists of competences and then matching them to candidates

Is the National League so very different to L2? Its still 11 v 11, yes they might be generally bigger, tougher, more direct, and we will need to match that but we will also need to play some decent football too.

A must for me is someone who recognises that you cant defend your way to the top of the table, scoring goals is what counts, the more the better, focus on that, be " at it for 95 minutes and add a competent defence with a 6' 6", 15 stone keeper and we will be fine...Oh, and wingers, lets have a couple of proper wingers too, ones that have pace and can put a cross along the 6 yard line, Odoh might be one of them if a good coach can get his crossing sorted out.
Bradford City match thread on 13:47 - Apr 16 with 1718 viewsLaveritty

Bradford City match thread on 10:58 - Apr 16 by D_Alien

Watching Taylor's face when we had goalkicks, he was clearly unhappy about what he was being asked to do

Here's a direct message to the BoDs, for any of them who might be reading this thread:

I'm not going to pay to watch goalkicks which constantly pressurise us next season

Using that tactic once or twice to mix things up is fine, but its constant use just had the opposition forwards poised to pounce on the edge of the box. It's not clever, it's mindless

Insanity = doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results!

Can somebody at the club please take this on board and stop the players being asked to do things that they obviously aren’t capable of!

Insanity Example No.1:
The constant sideways Chuckle Brothers-esque (To me - to you) passing around at the back is tedious to watch and does not lead to us creating anything! Instead we inevitably lose possession in our own half and present an opportunity to the opposition! Even the best teams and players get caught out when doing this - Bayern Munich kept doing it against Man City the other night - so what hope is there for players at our level?

Insanity Example No.2:
The insistence on having everybody back to defend corners and free kicks! I could grudgingly accept the tactic if it meant we were great at defending set pieces and rarely conceded from them but it clearly is not working!!! The number of goals we concede from these situations is staggering so why not try something different now and again and leave somebody on the half way line to provide an attacking outlet? Surely we can’t be any worse defensively than we already are with everybody back!

Insanity Example No.3:
When we win a free kick in the opposition half we very rarely use it as an opportunity to get the ball into the box. Instead we invariably play it short (sideways and backwards) and start another cycle of lovely passing in our own half and ultimately getting nowhere! It might be great for improving the possession percentage stats (55% in our favour yesterday!) but it is dull and boring to watch, Look at Bradford yesterday when they got a free kick - no messing, straight into the penalty area and 2 goals as a result! I know they had a team of giants which helps with this tactic but let’s at least try and attack when we get a free kick rather than playing pretty football in the midfield and defensive thirds!

I know we have been spoilt with the football we enjoyed for 10 to 15 years under Keith Hill but the last few years have been (particularly at home) mostly mind-numbingly woeful. The subject of our poor crowds is regularly discussed on here but the biggest mystery is how we still manage to attract as many as 2,000 masochists to keep coming back!

I guess that is true insanity!!!

Poll: Would you prefer relegation to happen…

Bradford City match thread on 18:03 - Apr 16 with 1431 viewsBarrowdale

Bradford City match thread on 13:47 - Apr 16 by Laveritty

Insanity = doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results!

Can somebody at the club please take this on board and stop the players being asked to do things that they obviously aren’t capable of!

Insanity Example No.1:
The constant sideways Chuckle Brothers-esque (To me - to you) passing around at the back is tedious to watch and does not lead to us creating anything! Instead we inevitably lose possession in our own half and present an opportunity to the opposition! Even the best teams and players get caught out when doing this - Bayern Munich kept doing it against Man City the other night - so what hope is there for players at our level?

Insanity Example No.2:
The insistence on having everybody back to defend corners and free kicks! I could grudgingly accept the tactic if it meant we were great at defending set pieces and rarely conceded from them but it clearly is not working!!! The number of goals we concede from these situations is staggering so why not try something different now and again and leave somebody on the half way line to provide an attacking outlet? Surely we can’t be any worse defensively than we already are with everybody back!

Insanity Example No.3:
When we win a free kick in the opposition half we very rarely use it as an opportunity to get the ball into the box. Instead we invariably play it short (sideways and backwards) and start another cycle of lovely passing in our own half and ultimately getting nowhere! It might be great for improving the possession percentage stats (55% in our favour yesterday!) but it is dull and boring to watch, Look at Bradford yesterday when they got a free kick - no messing, straight into the penalty area and 2 goals as a result! I know they had a team of giants which helps with this tactic but let’s at least try and attack when we get a free kick rather than playing pretty football in the midfield and defensive thirds!

I know we have been spoilt with the football we enjoyed for 10 to 15 years under Keith Hill but the last few years have been (particularly at home) mostly mind-numbingly woeful. The subject of our poor crowds is regularly discussed on here but the biggest mystery is how we still manage to attract as many as 2,000 masochists to keep coming back!

I guess that is true insanity!!!

Exactly this!!
Bradford City match thread on 18:13 - Apr 16 with 1405 viewsJames1980

Bradford City match thread on 18:03 - Apr 16 by Barrowdale

Exactly this!!

If we played as per the mantra of the academy according to their website. I don't think folk would be classed as being insane for going to watch The Dale play https://rochdaleafcyouth.co.uk/ 'Fast attacking possession based football' doesn't that sound entertaining?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Bradford City match thread on 20:09 - Apr 16 with 1248 viewsrich_dale

Bradford City match thread on 18:13 - Apr 16 by James1980

If we played as per the mantra of the academy according to their website. I don't think folk would be classed as being insane for going to watch The Dale play https://rochdaleafcyouth.co.uk/ 'Fast attacking possession based football' doesn't that sound entertaining?

With a few tweaks I think Jim could be a good manager - he's similar to BBM in being a nice guy everyone likes and wants to play for but guilty of being a bit too purist in style. If he can strike a good balance between playing football that's easy on the eye with more physicality and less risk taking then it could work out well. He's clearly popular in the dressing room. It feels more risky to get an outsider in at this stage, look what happened with Bentley. I would keep Jim for continuity and stability reasons and give him a chance, if he wants the job. He's like part of the family now and it would be a gamble to bring someone new in now, we need a mid table finish next season and think about the long game.
Bradford City match thread on 20:19 - Apr 16 with 1217 viewsTrev

Bradford City match thread on 20:09 - Apr 16 by rich_dale

With a few tweaks I think Jim could be a good manager - he's similar to BBM in being a nice guy everyone likes and wants to play for but guilty of being a bit too purist in style. If he can strike a good balance between playing football that's easy on the eye with more physicality and less risk taking then it could work out well. He's clearly popular in the dressing room. It feels more risky to get an outsider in at this stage, look what happened with Bentley. I would keep Jim for continuity and stability reasons and give him a chance, if he wants the job. He's like part of the family now and it would be a gamble to bring someone new in now, we need a mid table finish next season and think about the long game.

We need an experienced manager to give us the best chance of not being involved in a relegation battle for the 6th(?) season running. The board have stated they wanted someone to assist the manager with transfers, assuming they don't have this in place anytime soon, are we really going to trust another rookie with the transfer kitty? The board need to get the next appointment right, hopefully third time lucky.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2023 20:20]
Bradford City match thread on 20:41 - Apr 16 with 1176 viewsRodingdale

Bradford City match thread on 20:09 - Apr 16 by rich_dale

You should ask Calvin Andrew how he enjoyed BBM playing him CH at Wimbledon that time we were 3-0 down after 20 mins….oh hang on..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024