Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
False Dawns 07:47 - May 3 with 10184 viewsSheffield_dale

Scott Quigley. He was our saviour in the first few weeks. A perfect focal point that could play off. After that he was one of the most useless strikers I've ever seen at Dale, more concerned with arguing with oppo players, fans and officials. He's obviously been sent back all hush hush and scored an own goal for Stockport B.

Got me thinking, has there been any other players that started off really well and fell massively off the cliff?
False Dawns on 10:03 - May 3 with 7258 views100notout

Paul Williams

On loan from Stockport in the 90’s scored a worldy and then we signed him. He was complete dogshit. Big time Charlie and I was glad to see the back of him

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

False Dawns on 10:36 - May 3 with 7189 viewsSandyman

Lee Hodges. Came here from Scunthorpe with a great reputation but was only fit for the knackers yard.
False Dawns on 12:37 - May 3 with 6973 viewsdawlishdale

Was going to say Paul Williams as well.. great hopes when signed, followed by a hopeless few games and then rumours of dubious injuries preventing him from being selected.

Also, recall John Seasman being excellent when on loan, and not so excellent once signed.

Edit: Mark Leonard. Barrow's pet. Useless player who we actually managed to sell, onlt to re-sign him soon after.

Les Lawrence: Came with a goalscoring reputation, but failed to live up to it despite looking the part,. We offloaded him to Burnley iirc.
[Post edited 3 May 2023 12:43]
False Dawns on 12:43 - May 3 with 6955 views49thseason

Bob Stokoe (2nd spell) 7 wins in 34
Jimmy Greenhoff 11 wins in 49
Danny Begara 8 wins in 34
Steve Eyre 6 wins in 27
John Coleman 14 wins in 52
Jim Bentley 7 wins in 35
Coleman isn't as bad as the others stats-wise but I thought he was just a horrible man!

Players... we have a long and distinguished record of signing forwards who turned out to be rather less than advertised...
Paul Tait
Morike Sako
Lewis Alessandra
Roland Bergkamp
Febian Brandy
Mark Carter
Zach Clough
Liam Dickinson
Anthony Elding
Tope Obadeyi
Jack Redshaw
Jon Shaw
Nathan Eccleston
False Dawns on 13:06 - May 3 with 6880 viewsdingdangblue

Conrad Logan was superb in his first loan spell.
Didn't seem the same player when he came back - maybe due to 1 too many injuries and his size.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

False Dawns on 13:14 - May 3 with 6867 viewsSaxonDale

Daniel Bogdanovic.

Another (very!) harsh one could be Tanser- was superb at centre back, looked ok at fullback but then Bunney came and secured that spot. He obviously seems to have had a decent career since.
False Dawns on 13:19 - May 3 with 6859 views49thseason

We maybe need another list... " the ones who got away" Tanser would fit that list nicely, as would Higginbottom,
False Dawns on 13:27 - May 3 with 6841 viewsSandyDrum

False Dawns on 12:43 - May 3 by 49thseason

Steve Eyre 6 wins in 27
Jim Bentley 7 wins in 35
Coleman isn't as bad as the others stats-wise but I thought he was just a horrible man!

Players... we have a long and distinguished record of signing forwards who turned out to be rather less than advertised...
Paul Tait
Morike Sako
Lewis Alessandra
Roland Bergkamp
Febian Brandy
Mark Carter
Zach Clough
Liam Dickinson
Anthony Elding
Tope Obadeyi
Jack Redshaw
Jon Shaw
Nathan Eccleston

Obadeyi scored a 93rd minute winner for Gloucester City on Saturday to send them to the National League North play offs!

First thing he's done of note in the past few years to be fair

Wish I'd chosen a different username...

Login to get fewer ads

False Dawns on 13:47 - May 3 with 6784 viewsTomRAFC

Niall Canavan, Terry Gornell, and Ben Muirhead all looked excellent on loan.

Ashley Grimes had the ability to be a goal machine at this level but never fulfilled his potential.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

False Dawns on 14:08 - May 3 with 6718 viewsdingdangblue

I remember there being a bit of a buzz when we signed ex Brighton player Gary Dicker but he turned out to be very ordinary.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

False Dawns on 14:35 - May 3 with 6667 viewsSandyDrum

False Dawns on 14:08 - May 3 by dingdangblue

I remember there being a bit of a buzz when we signed ex Brighton player Gary Dicker but he turned out to be very ordinary.

Dicker’s performance in the 2-2 draw away at Chesterfield with the 2 last minute goals will always go down as one of the worst individual performances I’ve ever seen from a Dale player in my 24 years of supporting us.

Wish I'd chosen a different username...

False Dawns on 15:28 - May 3 with 6588 viewsdavidab2202

False Dawns on 14:35 - May 3 by SandyDrum

Dicker’s performance in the 2-2 draw away at Chesterfield with the 2 last minute goals will always go down as one of the worst individual performances I’ve ever seen from a Dale player in my 24 years of supporting us.

Might have been poor at Dale ,but still clocked up around 200 appearances after his short spell at Spotland.

i think he is now coaching at Brighton
False Dawns on 15:54 - May 3 with 6522 viewsjonahwhereru

False Dawns on 15:28 - May 3 by davidab2202

Might have been poor at Dale ,but still clocked up around 200 appearances after his short spell at Spotland.

i think he is now coaching at Brighton

We had a young lad called McCourt, looked great but didn’t make it and drifted back to Ireland. I wonder what happened to him!
False Dawns on 16:45 - May 3 with 6404 viewsdingdangblue

False Dawns on 14:35 - May 3 by SandyDrum

That was his last game for us - he joined Crawley later that week. Just looking into it a bit and it seems he was commuting from down south to train and play for us. No wonder he didn't do that well here.

False Dawns on 17:42 - May 3 with 6290 viewselectricblue

Clarke Keltie good for Darlo utter Sh1te for Dale.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

False Dawns on 17:49 - May 3 with 6266 viewsEllDale

You don't have to go that far back. Think of the January 2022 transfer window which ushered in Messrs Charman, Ball and Campbell.
If they'd been half as good as they were bigged up to be we'd be playing league football next season.
False Dawns on 17:57 - May 3 with 6223 viewsrichfoad32

False Dawns on 17:49 - May 3 by EllDale

You don't have to go that far back. Think of the January 2022 transfer window which ushered in Messrs Charman, Ball and Campbell.
If they'd been half as good as they were bigged up to be we'd be playing league football next season.

Ball I think scored a couple in his first few games for us and had some gushing that he was exactly what we needed in midfield and possibly even captain material.
False Dawns on 18:27 - May 3 with 6114 viewsbluevein64

False Dawns on 10:03 - May 3 by 100notout

Paul Williams

On loan from Stockport in the 90’s scored a worldy and then we signed him. He was complete dogshit. Big time Charlie and I was glad to see the back of him

I have rather (agree, Dogshite by the way) vague memories of "Big Willow" -
1) Burnley fan acquaintance informing me that he was absolutely "Dogshite" or very similar the day after we signed him.
2) He was courting or married to a girl who was the owner of one of his previous Clubs.
3) He missed a sitter (2 yards out of an open goal) in the last few minutes verses York city in the League Cup had he scored we'd have won - York drew Man Utd in the next round at Old Trafford and beat em 2 nowt .
As I said rather vague memories .
False Dawns on 18:45 - May 3 with 6061 viewsdavidab2202

False Dawns on 17:49 - May 3 by EllDale

The slight hope I have of the 2 players mentioned who are still at Dale ,is that they had shown enough at the level we are going to be at in August to be signed in the hope and expectation that they could step up and be effective higher up the football chain.
The fact that sadly they were not able to do that doesn't mean that they will not be able to perform again in the NFL
Appreciate that there may well be other influences in play but should they be allowed to leave and then be more than adequate performers elsewhere next season would be a bit of a disappointment to say the least bearing in mind the money which we at this moment must feel was a total waste
False Dawns on 22:22 - May 3 with 5830 views442Dale

False Dawns on 12:43 - May 3 by 49thseason

Steve Eyre 6 wins in 27
Jim Bentley 7 wins in 35

Paul Tait
Morike Sako
Lewis Alessandra
Roland Bergkamp
Febian Brandy
Mark Carter
Zach Clough
Liam Dickinson
Anthony Elding
Tope Obadeyi
Jack Redshaw
Jon Shaw
Nathan Eccleston

Bergara won 11 games before leaving for Stockport and his arrival was the first signs we’d started to turn a corner on the pitch. Dolan and Sutton then built on it.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

False Dawns on 23:01 - May 3 with 5760 viewsrickyprickles

Isden Christie, a lot was expected of him but didn’t do much if I remember correctly
False Dawns on 23:07 - May 3 with 5746 viewsBrierls

False Dawns on 23:01 - May 3 by rickyprickles

Isden Christie, a lot was expected of him but didn’t do much if I remember correctly

I’m not sure there was much expected of him?! He was a bad signing at the time.
False Dawns on 23:45 - May 3 with 5702 viewsShun

False Dawns on 13:14 - May 3 by SaxonDale

Daniel Bogdanovic.

Another (very!) harsh one could be Tanser- was superb at centre back, looked ok at fullback but then Bunney came and secured that spot. He obviously seems to have had a decent career since.

Bogdanovic immediately springs to mind for me too. He was excellent on his debut, to the point where people on here were genuinely talking about extending his loan or signing him permanently. Very ordinary after that.
False Dawns on 23:51 - May 3 with 5701 viewsSandyman

False Dawns on 23:45 - May 3 by Shun

Bogdanovic immediately springs to mind for me too. He was excellent on his debut, to the point where people on here were genuinely talking about extending his loan or signing him permanently. Very ordinary after that.

Aye, we can put Brett Ormerod in with him as well.
False Dawns on 08:07 - May 4 with 5497 viewsdavidab2202

When "older "players are being lent out ,I think it is often because they have ceased to play a significant role at their parent club and it is in the hope that they perform well enough in a few games to get a permanent deal and get them off the payroll
Perhaps a case of "fooling some of the people ...........
Think that may have been the case for many of the players being mentioned in this thread
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024