Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Maidenhead away match thread. 15:38 - Oct 7 with 11543 views442Dale

Winning 1-0, Mitchell again.

Six goals for the no.9 so far and it is the first week in October.

Great to see Rodney back involved.

[Post edited 7 Oct 2023 15:48]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Maidenhead away match thread. on 19:31 - Oct 7 with 2745 views442Dale

20 points from fifteen games would give us 60 for the season with one match to play. There are plenty of issues right now, not least the squad size limiting some options, but most would have taken that before a ball was kicked.

I think the general similarity in the standard of games has raised expectations, as has seeing what the team is capable of when we mix it up. Still, if we get to the new year (after the Fylde double header) having won one, drawn one, lost one it would mean we’ve got 36 points with nineteen games to play. That’s par right now I think, something that will give us the cushion of not having to look over our shoulders too much.

The last few games have appeared to be a bit ‘samey’, possibly leading to a feeling of flatness. The break for the FA Cup could help, though not sure the next game being Oldham will help… but who knows.

Maidenhead away match thread. on 19:34 - Oct 7 with 2722 viewsDaleFan7

Maidenhead away match thread. on 19:21 - Oct 7 by 49thseason

The worry is that our home form is hardly improving on last season, we are at 1.14 pts per game at home and 1,38 ppg away! which is working out at 57 pts at the end of the season...
Our form is going backwards too our last 4 games has put us at 23rd in form terms we are 10th over the last 12 games.
We are also shipping more goals per game currently 1.63 up from 1.4 earlier in the season which means that typically we will need to score 3 to ensure a victory.
Only 3 teams have a worse clean sheet record.. Fylde Hartlepool and York

Everything points to our home form continuing to be the problem, I don't know exactly what the problem is but it isn't improving. I think we can all see what happens if we don't fix it. A point away is OK if you win at home, We are averaging less than 6 home wins per season over the previous 6 seasons and so far this season there is no indication its getting better...

Teams come here and know we don't score a lot at home, if they get an early goal, great, we rarely score 2 at home, they've pretty much guaranteed at least a point, they can shut up shop and we don't know how to break teams that do that down.

On the flip side, we don't keep clean sheets, if we do go ahead, we're likely to relinquish the lead anyway. Teams can easily set up to 'not lose' here whereas they're not really likely to do that at their home ground.
Maidenhead away match thread. on 19:38 - Oct 7 with 2692 viewssxdale

Maidenhead away match thread. on 19:22 - Oct 7 by RotherhamDale

Another game where we want to play at a snails pace and we get caught out. As soon as they scored the 2nd, we showed urgency and scored a good goal straight away. Funny that.

Not sure how Mitchell gets goals because his all round play is abysmal. Jez may as well have been in a deck chair.

Sinclairs end product was mostly poor but at least he gets on the ball and is positive.

Maidenhead were terrible by the way.

This is the problem there was no urgency, once we scored it was like watching walking football we had enough chances to put them to the sword in the 1st half, a point away from home might seem like a decent result, it wasn't.
Maidenhead away match thread. on 19:52 - Oct 7 with 2633 viewskrafty80

Maidenhead away match thread. on 19:38 - Oct 7 by sxdale

This is the problem there was no urgency, once we scored it was like watching walking football we had enough chances to put them to the sword in the 1st half, a point away from home might seem like a decent result, it wasn't.

I agree with this, the reason it doesn't feel a positive result is because, to be blunt, Maidenhead are miles off the standard you'd see in League Two and we didn't really lay a glove on them. Maybe there are some mitigating factors: the playing surface I thought was abysmal, much worse than the 3G at Dorking, and the unseasonal sunny weather gave the occasion a strange preseason feel in my opinion.

But we can't use those as excuses; we have to find a way to pose a threat consistently during games instead of allowing matches to drift.

I'm sure Big Jim will now be very conscious that we need a couple of results and ideally much better performances in the next two games, both of which will be very tricky for different reasons. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kairo and Rodney play as a traditional front two, and the lad from Fleetwood looked alright too when he came on.

The other issue for me from today was the contrast in how effectively Jimmy K and Sinclair combined down the left flank, compared to Jez and Odoruh on the right who looked frankly like they'd just met in the car park.
Maidenhead away match thread. on 20:01 - Oct 7 with 2604 views442Dale

Maidenhead away match thread. on 19:34 - Oct 7 by DaleFan7

Teams come here and know we don't score a lot at home, if they get an early goal, great, we rarely score 2 at home, they've pretty much guaranteed at least a point, they can shut up shop and we don't know how to break teams that do that down.

On the flip side, we don't keep clean sheets, if we do go ahead, we're likely to relinquish the lead anyway. Teams can easily set up to 'not lose' here whereas they're not really likely to do that at their home ground.

While I do agree with the points about how we’re defending and holding onto leads at home we are doing much better with scoring at Spotland, having scored two or more in four matches so far.

It’s certainly not a silver bullet, but Ferguson looked to have all the attributes required at this level and he now needs a run of games to see if our ‘basic defending’ can improve with him in the back four.

Maidenhead away match thread. on 20:53 - Oct 7 with 2442 views49thseason

Maidenhead away match thread. on 20:01 - Oct 7 by 442Dale

While I do agree with the points about how we’re defending and holding onto leads at home we are doing much better with scoring at Spotland, having scored two or more in four matches so far.

It’s certainly not a silver bullet, but Ferguson looked to have all the attributes required at this level and he now needs a run of games to see if our ‘basic defending’ can improve with him in the back four.

Winning at home is the whole raison d'etre of a football club, fans want to watch their club win at home, Last season Wrexham won 22 out of 23 games and look what happened to their crowds, Notts County won 17, drew 5 and lost just 1. We have won just 37 times at home in the last 138 attempts! Frankly its amazing anyone bothers to attend.
Fix the home form and you solve so many of the clubs problems not to mention putting a spring in the step of the whole town
Maidenhead away match thread. on 21:15 - Oct 7 with 2386 viewsdaleitetilidie

Need to get out of this rut of conceding 2 goals pretty much every game. We are a bang average NL side. Think we have been getting a bit carried away with being over optimistic with our top 7 position earlier on but pretty sure unless Rodders can get into goal scoring mode or if we tighten up at the back then a mid table obscurity finish is all we can look forward to.
Maidenhead away match thread. on 21:48 - Oct 7 with 2279 views442Dale

Maidenhead away match thread. on 20:53 - Oct 7 by 49thseason

Winning at home is the whole raison d'etre of a football club, fans want to watch their club win at home, Last season Wrexham won 22 out of 23 games and look what happened to their crowds, Notts County won 17, drew 5 and lost just 1. We have won just 37 times at home in the last 138 attempts! Frankly its amazing anyone bothers to attend.
Fix the home form and you solve so many of the clubs problems not to mention putting a spring in the step of the whole town

Everyone knows about the poor home form over the last few years. Despite that crowds have remained pretty steady.

While it would indeed make fans feel so much better if we were doing better at home, not sure it would solve a lot of the other problems! As has been noted, winning football matches has historically and for a short window recently shown only to allow other problems to be overlooked for a while.

Login to get fewer ads

Maidenhead away match thread. on 21:52 - Oct 7 with 2269 views442Dale

Maidenhead away match thread. on 19:38 - Oct 7 by sxdale

This is the biggest problem right now. We need to really go after teams and look to put pressure on them when we take the lead. There’s a feeling we allow sides to settle and collect themselves, knowing they’ll get a chance when we defend poorly.

The only way to change that is to play in their half, preferably the final third, once we’ve scored. If that means going direct for ten mins to make them defend and win throw ins etc, so be it.

Maidenhead away match thread. on 23:42 - Oct 7 with 2073 viewsSandyman

Hmmm...
Maidenhead away match thread. on 00:16 - Oct 8 with 2040 viewsEdindale

Interesting but I get the impression that the NFL teams generally want to lay counter attack even at home.
Maidenhead away match thread. on 00:27 - Oct 8 with 2034 viewsEdindale

Maidenhead away match thread. on 19:52 - Oct 7 by krafty80

I agree with this, the reason it doesn't feel a positive result is because, to be blunt, Maidenhead are miles off the standard you'd see in League Two and we didn't really lay a glove on them. Maybe there are some mitigating factors: the playing surface I thought was abysmal, much worse than the 3G at Dorking, and the unseasonal sunny weather gave the occasion a strange preseason feel in my opinion.

But we can't use those as excuses; we have to find a way to pose a threat consistently during games instead of allowing matches to drift.

I'm sure Big Jim will now be very conscious that we need a couple of results and ideally much better performances in the next two games, both of which will be very tricky for different reasons. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kairo and Rodney play as a traditional front two, and the lad from Fleetwood looked alright too when he came on.

The other issue for me from today was the contrast in how effectively Jimmy K and Sinclair combined down the left flank, compared to Jez and Odoruh on the right who looked frankly like they'd just met in the car park.

Maidenhead like the majority of teams in this league are poor. Not much better than pub teams that Milton, Tim Bobbin and Sacred Heart could have beaten back in the day.

Why are we giving these teams so much respect if we have players of better pedigree?

Our tactical set up is wrong. We need to be cautious on occasion but should usually be attacking these teams from the outset. I agree that we are ponderous and allow games to drift by.

Having watched Dorking and Barnet tonight these are poor teams who can be beaten home and away. Please can we be more attacking and try to score more than two goals as we are very likely to concede.
Maidenhead away match thread. on 00:40 - Oct 8 with 2021 viewsEdindale

Maidenhead away match thread. on 23:42 - Oct 7 by Sandyman

Hmmm...

Jim obviously enjoying the experience of this league more than many of us.

His cool analytical and semi casual approach is a bit worrying and would like to see more urgency from him so that this can transmit to the players.

Interesting comment about the marketplace but we desperately need cover in midfield if McDermott is not going to feature.

Lets hope that the cup tie gives some relief to the tedium.
Maidenhead away match thread. on 09:37 - Oct 8 with 1742 viewsNorthernDale

Questions, I like Jaz, but he seems to get tired by the second half, would you be tempted to start with Hayes and use Jez as an impact sub? Also when Rodney is fully fit, can you see Rodney and Mitchell starting and if so, who would you drop to the bench, and do you think Rodney and Mitchell would an effective partnership up front?

McNulty must address why, we revert to possession pedestrian football when we are winning games, it may look nice, but it is costing us points and puts us on the back foot, which encourages other teams to take the game to us, when in truth, we should be comfortable. I still feel the squad is better then most squads in the NL, but we lack the clinical approach of teams like Altrincham, which may be due a more experienced management, however, I feel that the Dale are more then good enough to get a top seven finish, if we can learn from our mistakes.
Maidenhead away match thread. on 10:14 - Oct 8 with 1625 viewsEllDale

Looking at the league table we should never have a better chance of winning a few home games.
Seven out of the current bottom eight have still to visit the COA.
Maidenhead away match thread. on 10:29 - Oct 8 with 1586 viewsTVOS1907

Maidenhead away match thread. on 10:14 - Oct 8 by EllDale

Looking at the league table we should never have a better chance of winning a few home games.
Seven out of the current bottom eight have still to visit the COA.

But they might not be in those positions when the fixtures come around!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Maidenhead away match thread. on 10:46 - Oct 8 with 1545 viewsjonahwhereru

It’s good to hear that some folk on here are suggesting wine are average or a mid table team. Given some expectations were the double drop, this represents a positive change in expectation.
I was disappointed with the result yesterday, but the opposition do have a habit of getting draws against better teams.
Sure we have dropped plenty of points, where a few more ruthless teams haven’t, but most teams in this league have been wasteful.
Great to see Rodders back and I hope the fans will be patient with him. Think we have scored just one from the midfield trio this season. That is not enough. Is that because we don’t often drive through midfield, like a Jones or Rathbone?
I like the way BJ conducts his interviews. He could play to he audience and be more demonstrative. But what is the point. It’s what he does away from the camera that counts.
Maidenhead away match thread. on 10:54 - Oct 8 with 1535 viewsEllDale

Maidenhead away match thread. on 10:29 - Oct 8 by TVOS1907

But they might not be in those positions when the fixtures come around!

Correct. But there does seem to be a line of thought that “the league doesn’t tell lies” once we reach this stage of the season.
Maidenhead away match thread. on 11:08 - Oct 8 with 1509 viewsMorden

Maidenhead away match thread. on 19:52 - Oct 7 by krafty80

First game I've seen this season. Is this a thing: Sinclair not being able to put a cross in with his left?

So easy to defend against, my son compared him to Arjen Robben (for left read right in his case). The only time he was effective was when he combined with Keohane; and that was done with his right as well
Maidenhead away match thread. on 11:11 - Oct 8 with 1499 viewsTVOS1907

Maidenhead away match thread. on 10:54 - Oct 8 by EllDale

Correct. But there does seem to be a line of thought that “the league doesn’t tell lies” once we reach this stage of the season.

But our home form over the last six seasons doesn't tell lies either.

Maidenhead away match thread. on 11:21 - Oct 8 with 1464 views49thseason

Maidenhead away match thread. on 21:48 - Oct 7 by 442Dale

Everyone knows about the poor home form over the last few years. Despite that crowds have remained pretty steady.

While it would indeed make fans feel so much better if we were doing better at home, not sure it would solve a lot of the other problems! As has been noted, winning football matches has historically and for a short window recently shown only to allow other problems to be overlooked for a while.

And for the last six or seven years kids have been growing up in Rochdale thinking, with clear evidence, that Rochdale are shit. Its a mindset that is hard to change, Stockport seem to have managed it but they have had a decent team playing well at home to create the right atmophere.
The Board's response to this is to give a couple of free tickets to schools but there has been no acknowledgment that home form is a major stumbling block, its like opening a lovely new pub and forgetting to order the beer. The chances of anyone new turning up to watch and seeing us win is 1 in 4. We all know its not good enough, the question is why is the home form so poor and what are they doing about it?
We have done our job, we buy tickets, we persvere, we raise funds, we are generally cheerfully optimistic, we cheer what is largely poor fayre. Its time for those with the real ability to change things to pull their fingers out, figure out what the problem is and fix it.
Maidenhead away match thread. on 11:48 - Oct 8 with 1406 viewsTVOS1907

Maidenhead away match thread. on 11:21 - Oct 8 by 49thseason

And for the last six or seven years kids have been growing up in Rochdale thinking, with clear evidence, that Rochdale are shit. Its a mindset that is hard to change, Stockport seem to have managed it but they have had a decent team playing well at home to create the right atmophere.
The Board's response to this is to give a couple of free tickets to schools but there has been no acknowledgment that home form is a major stumbling block, its like opening a lovely new pub and forgetting to order the beer. The chances of anyone new turning up to watch and seeing us win is 1 in 4. We all know its not good enough, the question is why is the home form so poor and what are they doing about it?
We have done our job, we buy tickets, we persvere, we raise funds, we are generally cheerfully optimistic, we cheer what is largely poor fayre. Its time for those with the real ability to change things to pull their fingers out, figure out what the problem is and fix it.

While your overarching point is right, the chance of someone turning up and seeing us win isn't one in four.

That's similar to saying if I rolled a die and got a 6, I won't get another six until I've rolled the die a further five times.

We could win our next ten home games. Chances are we won't, but their outcomes are independent of what has gone before.

Maidenhead away match thread. on 11:48 - Oct 8 with 1404 viewsD_Alien

Maidenhead away match thread. on 11:21 - Oct 8 by 49thseason

They want out. You know that

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Maidenhead away match thread. on 12:02 - Oct 8 with 1353 viewsJames1980

Maidenhead away match thread. on 11:08 - Oct 8 by Morden

First game I've seen this season. Is this a thing: Sinclair not being able to put a cross in with his left?

So easy to defend against, my son compared him to Arjen Robben (for left read right in his case). The only time he was effective was when he combined with Keohane; and that was done with his right as well

I recall reading an article about a footballer, I think it was Nedved, spending hours practicing using his non dominant foot. Now I'm not saying Sinclair could ever become as proficient with both feet as he was, but perhaps some additional training could improve his technique using his left peg.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Maidenhead away match thread. on 14:37 - Oct 8 with 1164 views49thseason

Maidenhead away match thread. on 11:48 - Oct 8 by TVOS1907

While your overarching point is right, the chance of someone turning up and seeing us win isn't one in four.

That's similar to saying if I rolled a die and got a 6, I won't get another six until I've rolled the die a further five times.

We could win our next ten home games. Chances are we won't, but their outcomes are independent of what has gone before.

Well lets put it this way then, those of us who have watched for this and the previous 5 seasons have seen us lose or draw 101 times out of 138 attempts, despite the mathematical exactitudes 37 wins in 138 attempts is desperately poor. Unlike rolling a fair die, we have 100s of variables and different oppositions to contend with, I get that, but the likelihood is that we will draw or lose, and over time the draw or loss is running at the better part of 75 % of attempts.... at home!.. its not normal....

"In the five seasons between 2015-16 and 2019-20, the home team won in 45.8% of Premier League matches and 43.3% of EFL Championship matches.

Across Europe’s top leagues, Spain’s La Liga had the highest percentage of home wins with 46.6%, followed by the French Ligue 1 with 45.4%, Germany’s Bundesliga with 44.8%, and Italy’s Serie A with 44.6%."

Currently in L2 home wins are running at 48%, in the National League its 40%

Our away form is fairly normal, there is simply no tangible home advantage.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024