Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gateshead Game Predictions 09:29 - Mar 29 with 15044 views_Windydale

3-1 gateshead.

I'm not feeling it today. The buoyancy the players may feel, guaranteed pay for another month, new owners possibly, panics off, the players relax. No Hayes (probably) possibly... go back to the pace of a steady stroll round Watergrove rez.
I would take a draw especially after the tonking Gateshead gave Hartlepool last game.
Gateshead Game Predictions on 17:50 - Mar 29 with 2489 viewskel

Gateshead Game Predictions on 17:43 - Mar 29 by Barrowdale

Its relevant in so much as Ive watched us under god knows how many managers and even in the ‘70’s I was never this bored. Still you have just as much right to be pleased with our style of play as I, and the vast majority of fans, have to be bored witless by it.
Id rather watch “Barrowball” than this tbh.

I don’t think I’ve ever expressed an opinion on the style of play but I’m more than happy to be corrected.

Given the absolute shitshow off the pitch these last few seasons, I’m absolutely delighted we still have a club to support and we’re pretty much guaranteed to stay up and halt the slide. You can call me ‘glass half full’ if you like.
[Post edited 29 Mar 17:51]
Gateshead Game Predictions on 17:50 - Mar 29 with 2490 views442Dale

Its relevant in so much as Ive watched us under god knows how many managers and even in the ‘70’s I was never this bored. Still you have just as much right to be pleased with our style of play as I, and the vast majority of fans, have to be bored witless by it.

“vast majority”?

Where is this information from?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Gateshead Game Predictions on 18:01 - Mar 29 with 2413 viewsdingdangblue

I hope McNulty doesn't mention Gateshead scoring 7 on Tuesday as some sort of positive because we kept it down to 1.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Gateshead Game Predictions on 18:22 - Mar 29 with 2321 viewsD_Alien

Gateshead Game Predictions on 17:25 - Mar 29 by 442Dale

The problem is, and it was alluded to in an earlier post, so many managers are playing a similar style these days and it’s trying to identify those who stand out.

Honestly? It infuriates me that any side, let alone Dale, pass it about at the back under real pressure when the stats must clearly show how many goals are conceded by doing it. That alone should make managers sit up and take notice. The hope is that there is a realisation that we HAVE to mix it up more often, not just the odd occasion, because it has been successful when we do it.

I think many Dale fans have doubts, but at the same time McNulty has put in the hard yards to deserve time to continue what he’s started. It doesn’t make him immune from criticism and he too has to acknowledge the doubts fans have when we do look one dimensional and visibly do something about it. More often.

Feel like that’s been said a lot since Christmas. The usual suspects will make jibes and disappear but I have plenty of time for those who can disagree and at least discuss the situation with some thought.

That's pretty much how it is

I've just lost patience and don't think i can watch us play like that, after a lifetime of watching

Jim could prove me wrong and take us back into the EFL with better circumstances off the pitch but there's no indication he's learning on the job, which is what i'm looking for

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Gateshead Game Predictions on 18:30 - Mar 29 with 2266 viewsdingdangblue

Jim pretty happy with the performance. Narrow defeat between 2 good teams. 👍

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Gateshead Game Predictions on 18:37 - Mar 29 with 2214 viewsChaffRAFC

I'm kind of in the middle here. McNulty was dealt a shocking hand when he took the job in the summer and if truth be told, I don't think there was an option to appoint another manager because of finances anyway. And like 442Dale says, it's not been an awful season by any means, and like Kel says, I'm just grateful we've still got a football club if I'm honest.

That said, since the turn of the year, I'm beginning to think more and more than we've missed a massive opportunity to get back into the football league. The squad we have, for me, is easily a top 5 squad. We've had injuries, especially around November and December and I actually think we dealt better with that than we have when we've had options. We've thrown so many points away it's unreal.

I can't agree with McNulty today that it was an even and close game because at no point did I ever think we were going to win once the whistle went. I was pleasantly surprised to see Hayes in the team and we just didn't use him. Gateshead are very good at dictating the tempo of the game and Francis, Booty and Whelan made it look like a training game at times today but we have to try something different and I don't think we were able to today.

One shot on goal just isn't good enough unfortunately.

I think Jim comes across brilliantly and absolutely gets this football club and for the most part, he's absolutely won me over from someone who didn't want him to get the job in the summer but I'm finding it incredibly frustrating watching us be easy for teams to play against.

How many teams have we seen this season that you can say looked genuinely better than us? I can only name two in Chesterfield, Gateshead and at a push, Solihull and yet we're below 10 other teams.

Wasting points against the likes of Oxford City, Kidderminster, Ebbsfleet, York, Dagenham, Wealdstone etc is infuriating.

Gateshead are a good side and I didn't think we would get anything but we never laid a glove on them and that's annoyed me and I'm starting to find myself wondering whether McNulty is capable of getting more out of us going forward.

Bizarrely given that most of us would have taken a mid-table finish this season, the standard of the National League and the wasted opportunities with this squad probably means we've underachieved.

This isn't a post calling for his head, just pointing out my frustrations.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Gateshead Game Predictions on 18:38 - Mar 29 with 2212 viewsdaleitetilidie

I pity the 377 who made the 300 odd mile trip to watch that load of tripe. I wasted £9.50 which was painful enough. Can’t see it getting any better with big Jim at the helm. Nobody’s in any decent form which doesn’t help. Big difference between the teams today was they had a decent front line who looked dangerous every time they went forward. We looked toothless and clueless. Let’s hope the takeover goes through and the new owners are patient because I reckon it’s going to be a long way back to get back to anything like where we were 10 years ago. Clear out in the close season and start afresh with a new manager with different ideas and some new faces or we’ll just be putting up with the same inconsistent dross we’ve played this season. TBH don’t know how we won the last 3 apart from the Wealdstone game. UTD!!!
Gateshead Game Predictions on 18:52 - Mar 29 with 2139 views442Dale

Gateshead Game Predictions on 18:37 - Mar 29 by ChaffRAFC

I'm kind of in the middle here. McNulty was dealt a shocking hand when he took the job in the summer and if truth be told, I don't think there was an option to appoint another manager because of finances anyway. And like 442Dale says, it's not been an awful season by any means, and like Kel says, I'm just grateful we've still got a football club if I'm honest.

That said, since the turn of the year, I'm beginning to think more and more than we've missed a massive opportunity to get back into the football league. The squad we have, for me, is easily a top 5 squad. We've had injuries, especially around November and December and I actually think we dealt better with that than we have when we've had options. We've thrown so many points away it's unreal.

I can't agree with McNulty today that it was an even and close game because at no point did I ever think we were going to win once the whistle went. I was pleasantly surprised to see Hayes in the team and we just didn't use him. Gateshead are very good at dictating the tempo of the game and Francis, Booty and Whelan made it look like a training game at times today but we have to try something different and I don't think we were able to today.

One shot on goal just isn't good enough unfortunately.

I think Jim comes across brilliantly and absolutely gets this football club and for the most part, he's absolutely won me over from someone who didn't want him to get the job in the summer but I'm finding it incredibly frustrating watching us be easy for teams to play against.

How many teams have we seen this season that you can say looked genuinely better than us? I can only name two in Chesterfield, Gateshead and at a push, Solihull and yet we're below 10 other teams.

Wasting points against the likes of Oxford City, Kidderminster, Ebbsfleet, York, Dagenham, Wealdstone etc is infuriating.

Gateshead are a good side and I didn't think we would get anything but we never laid a glove on them and that's annoyed me and I'm starting to find myself wondering whether McNulty is capable of getting more out of us going forward.

Bizarrely given that most of us would have taken a mid-table finish this season, the standard of the National League and the wasted opportunities with this squad probably means we've underachieved.

This isn't a post calling for his head, just pointing out my frustrations.

Excellent post. Not dismissing any of the frustrations amongst fans, but there are two big issues at play:

1) can we afford to scrap the return of a reasonably positive culture on the playing side to bring in a new manager because of McNulty’s deficiencies (which do exist)?

2) and this is the big one - is there a need for a real shift in the game where clubs make a conscious effort to reinvent styles of play again?

Often wonder how a Keith Hill, ‘no fear’, two wide players, two up and down midfielders, a defence that gets it out wide or into the strikers quickly, side would perform in the current era. If nothing else it would be so different it could throw teams completely.

In some ways, it is starting with teams like Spurs who have come up with something unique. Their energy and risk taking in going forward is different. Maybe it’ll catch on.

Login to get fewer ads

Gateshead Game Predictions on 19:02 - Mar 29 with 2080 views442Dale

It’s this sort of thing. Total nonsense and it’s accepted as a known risk because of the way so many teams choose to play.

But with so much information freely available, with clubs looking at every single thing to make small percentage gains that can improve performance, why is this continuing across the game?

It’s like a Formula 1 car having all the latest improvements to its engine, bodywork and tires yet telling the driver not to slow down at corners.

Gateshead Game Predictions on 19:11 - Mar 29 with 2029 viewsnordenblue

Gateshead Game Predictions on 19:02 - Mar 29 by 442Dale

It’s this sort of thing. Total nonsense and it’s accepted as a known risk because of the way so many teams choose to play.

But with so much information freely available, with clubs looking at every single thing to make small percentage gains that can improve performance, why is this continuing across the game?

It’s like a Formula 1 car having all the latest improvements to its engine, bodywork and tires yet telling the driver not to slow down at corners.

It's almost like they've all been brainwashed to believe that's the only way any team must set up with the goals conceded just being collateral damage, its just plain weird when they spend all their time trying to gain any tiny advantage over the opposition with all the research that goes in and the preparation prior to kick off just to piss it all up the wall and pass the ball to the other team on the edge of your own box...... that bloody Pep fellas got a lot to answer for
Gateshead Game Predictions on 19:13 - Mar 29 with 2017 viewsRodingdale

Gateshead Game Predictions on 18:52 - Mar 29 by 442Dale

Excellent post. Not dismissing any of the frustrations amongst fans, but there are two big issues at play:

1) can we afford to scrap the return of a reasonably positive culture on the playing side to bring in a new manager because of McNulty’s deficiencies (which do exist)?

2) and this is the big one - is there a need for a real shift in the game where clubs make a conscious effort to reinvent styles of play again?

Often wonder how a Keith Hill, ‘no fear’, two wide players, two up and down midfielders, a defence that gets it out wide or into the strikers quickly, side would perform in the current era. If nothing else it would be so different it could throw teams completely.

In some ways, it is starting with teams like Spurs who have come up with something unique. Their energy and risk taking in going forward is different. Maybe it’ll catch on.

Just a reminder, the Chairman enjoys the football Jim is producing. He said so at the recent fans forum.
Gateshead Game Predictions on 19:16 - Mar 29 with 1996 views442Dale

Gateshead Game Predictions on 19:13 - Mar 29 by Rodingdale

Just a reminder, the Chairman enjoys the football Jim is producing. He said so at the recent fans forum.

Those at the club who have off-field roles have little or no claim to understanding football better than any other fan.

Until we bring in people who have got that background in the game, it’ll be on the manager to create the club’s playing identity.

Gateshead Game Predictions on 19:25 - Mar 29 with 1950 viewsMass_Debater

Gateshead Game Predictions on 17:23 - Mar 29 by Barrowdale

Unfortunately after 54 years of watching us I can’t just change my colours can I?
But like many others I could just stop going. 5 years ago there were 8 of us in our social group. We’re down to three now and mostly I ducks. Im ashamed to offer the spare sc to anyone else at the moment as they would question our sanity

What's how long you've been watching got to do with the price of fish?

Fact is, you only tend to appear when we lose or play crap. After 54 years of watching you should have a bit more backbone about you.
Gateshead Game Predictions on 19:28 - Mar 29 with 1920 viewsJames1980

Keeper should have passed it sideways first

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Gateshead Game Predictions on 19:29 - Mar 29 with 1926 viewsMass_Debater

Can you please provide evidence about where kel says he likes our style of play?
Gateshead Game Predictions on 19:30 - Mar 29 with 1917 viewsRodingdale

Gateshead Game Predictions on 19:16 - Mar 29 by 442Dale

Those at the club who have off-field roles have little or no claim to understanding football better than any other fan.

Until we bring in people who have got that background in the game, it’ll be on the manager to create the club’s playing identity.

The tone is set by the Board - a winning mentality is essential in competitive sport, and also in business. The tone that’s been set by the current board is one where average is acceptable. I do hope we get new leadership who expect better and who challenge some of the ‘well it’s all been very difficult’ mentality. As Chaff has said this is a poor league, we could and should have done better.
Gateshead Game Predictions on 19:32 - Mar 29 with 1907 viewsrich_dale

Not the worst they did...

Gateshead Game Predictions on 19:34 - Mar 29 with 1891 viewsEllDale

Would it be fair to say that Dale excel at BJ’s preferred style of football when the opposition sit back, concede possession and let them play eg Eastleigh twice, Wealdstone at home.
That’s when total options exist because the likes of East and Gilmour can run forward instead of receiving the ball in tight situations with their backs to goal.
It’s when we’re penned back and Nevett and EEL have to process and reprocess the ball between themselves and the goalkeeper that frustration sets in.
Th senior players like EEL, Hendo and Clayton must be buying into this style though as surely they have the clout and the respect to knock on BJ’s door and say, “this isn’t working”.
As has been mentioned this is a crazy league. Look at some of today’s results with York beating Chesterfield, Maidenhead sticking four past Aldershot and Fylde winning at Boundary Park.
It’s maddening to think that, given another ten points, that Dale could have been in the middle of that playoff mix. And it doesn’t take much to remember where those ten points could have been gleaned.
Gateshead Game Predictions on 19:39 - Mar 29 with 1843 viewsSuddenLad

Gateshead Game Predictions on 19:13 - Mar 29 by Rodingdale

That probably says everything you need to know about the Chairman and his suitability for the role.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Gateshead Game Predictions on 19:40 - Mar 29 with 1836 viewsD_Alien

Gateshead Game Predictions on 19:34 - Mar 29 by EllDale

Would it be fair to say that Dale excel at BJ’s preferred style of football when the opposition sit back, concede possession and let them play eg Eastleigh twice, Wealdstone at home.
That’s when total options exist because the likes of East and Gilmour can run forward instead of receiving the ball in tight situations with their backs to goal.
It’s when we’re penned back and Nevett and EEL have to process and reprocess the ball between themselves and the goalkeeper that frustration sets in.
Th senior players like EEL, Hendo and Clayton must be buying into this style though as surely they have the clout and the respect to knock on BJ’s door and say, “this isn’t working”.
As has been mentioned this is a crazy league. Look at some of today’s results with York beating Chesterfield, Maidenhead sticking four past Aldershot and Fylde winning at Boundary Park.
It’s maddening to think that, given another ten points, that Dale could have been in the middle of that playoff mix. And it doesn’t take much to remember where those ten points could have been gleaned.

And Hartlepool, after getting clattered by Gateshead, beat Halifax

Roll on Easter Monday...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Gateshead Game Predictions on 20:57 - Mar 29 with 1546 viewsYouTubeDale

Jim is set in his ways . He's not going to change. We have the players to compete with a very good Gateshead side, but as expected, we didn't really lay a glove on them. That is largely down to the leadership of McNulty.

He has to go. Let another manager have a good pre-season to install some exciting football which will get our crowd numbers up.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Gateshead Game Predictions on 21:05 - Mar 29 with 1518 views442Dale

Gateshead Game Predictions on 20:57 - Mar 29 by YouTubeDale

Jim is set in his ways . He's not going to change. We have the players to compete with a very good Gateshead side, but as expected, we didn't really lay a glove on them. That is largely down to the leadership of McNulty.

He has to go. Let another manager have a good pre-season to install some exciting football which will get our crowd numbers up.

Which are the managers that play this type of football?

Our crowd numbers have remained steady when you look at the last few seasons.

Gateshead Game Predictions on 21:08 - Mar 29 with 1505 viewsDaleFan7

As a defensive unit, we weren't too bad today, it was an error of judgement by the keeper that led to their goal but then he pulled off a really good save later in the game.

Going forward, unless the name on the back of the shirt was Hayes we were completely clueless. Midfield seemed slow and ponderous and Mitchell and Rodney were virtually anonymous for 90% of the game.

The score was a fair reflection of the game. We weren't outplayed by any stretch but we were never going to score either.
Gateshead Game Predictions on 23:32 - Mar 29 with 1166 views49thseason

Inconsistency is probably why lots of players are at this level. McNulty must have felt he was in a re- make of The Dirty Dozen at the start of the season, taking players he didnt really know, maybe at the behest of MRKT and constrained by his budget and trying to blend them into something akin to a team. So far so good, the decline has been halted, can he change from trying not to lose to creating a winning team? Clearly its not easy or everyone would be doing it... He must now know that he needs a bigger, more mobile team if we are to progress out of this division. Size and pace count down here, playing like City against big, powerful sides when referees dont lavish much protection on ball players and linesmen and women are rarely in line only makes things more difficult.
We have not had any sort of partnership up front, something all good teams need, Mitchell isnt enough of a bully, and Rodney has to prove he is fit for the long term. Hendo is clearly not a long term option, so there is a forward line to rebuild , some may be capable of fitting in but some are clearly not up the required standard.

I dont know what McNulty knows about goal scoring, why do more defenders seem to become Head Coaches or Managers? When your goal difference is in single figures, is it because we dont score enough or because we concede too many or a bit of both? Looking at this division, its seems that promoted sides score many more than their opposition. We lose too many games by single goals.....
Gateshead Game Predictions on 01:56 - Mar 30 with 1052 viewsShun

Gateshead Game Predictions on 17:23 - Mar 29 by Barrowdale

Unfortunately after 54 years of watching us I can’t just change my colours can I?
But like many others I could just stop going. 5 years ago there were 8 of us in our social group. We’re down to three now and mostly I ducks. Im ashamed to offer the spare sc to anyone else at the moment as they would question our sanity

We very nearly didn’t have a club to support yet we still sit in upper mid-table, and you’re ‘ashamed’? Blimey.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024