Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One big marketing own-goal 17:37 - Dec 21 with 22629 viewstony_roch975

BBC Football website this evening reads "Hill concerned at fan discontent". Whatever your opinion, between the (minority) boos on Saturday, the interminable thread on the KH post match comments and those comments themselves, we've managed a cracking marketing own-goal. Bit pointless complaining about the club's weakness in the PR & Marketing areas as happens ad infinitum on this forum and then in a stroke creating an impression of a disunited, unwelcoming club which players & fans (existing and future) are far less likely to want to be part of. Time for all concerned to learn a bit of perspective - or time to bang a few heads together!!

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

One big marketing own-goal on 23:08 - Dec 21 with 3184 viewsSuddenLad

One big marketing own-goal on 22:59 - Dec 21 by alderleydale

Precious fragile are you for real

We`ve been going since the 50s we`ve travelled the length and breadth of Britain hundreds of times over supporting The Dale.

I have lived in Cheshire for the last 14 years and do just short of a 100 mile round trip just for a HOME GAME
Cheshire to Haslingden to pick up Grandson over the tops to Rochdale and the same journey home.

You could call me a lot of things but precious and fragile I`m not

Surprising then, that in all that time, with the sh!te you (and me) have watched in half a century and some of the clueless managers we've had in the dugout, you choose the most successful period in the clubs' history to decide not to bother going.

Just go for the football and ignore what follows. And because you support the team.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

One big marketing own-goal on 23:11 - Dec 21 with 3177 views49thseason

To anyone who has taken his comments personally, I would suggest that you stop listening to the post match comments and make your decisions about attending based on how you felt at the final whistle. The game wasn't a classic but if you have watched Dale for as long as I have, any game that we win 3-1 is a cause for at least a small celebration.
One big marketing own-goal on 23:16 - Dec 21 with 3159 views442Dale

One big marketing own-goal on 23:11 - Dec 21 by 49thseason

To anyone who has taken his comments personally, I would suggest that you stop listening to the post match comments and make your decisions about attending based on how you felt at the final whistle. The game wasn't a classic but if you have watched Dale for as long as I have, any game that we win 3-1 is a cause for at least a small celebration.

From the previous page:
What Hill said doesn't bother me one bit personally, it was just pointless and that needs saying.

Plenty of people were happy with the result and that's all we were focusing on, ask why that changed? Doesn't matter how long anyone has been going or how bad things have been in the past, an avoidable situation has taken away from a welcome three points.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

One big marketing own-goal on 23:19 - Dec 21 with 3149 viewsfitzochris

Here's the thing. We could stop listening to the aftermatch comments. I won't because I'm one of those types that needs to lap up everything related to my club, but others could.

But that's not the issue. As others have pointed out, his comments are now headline news on the BBC, which resulted in several texts from friends of mine saying 'I see your manager is slagging off the fans again'. Note the use of the word 'again'. These are people who don't care for Rochdale other than the fact they know it's the team I support. The point I'm making is, Hilly's comments, whether we choose to listen to them or not, carry weight and travel far. Reputation damage to the club is inevitable.

Again, though, I'll say I'm more bewildered by his comments than annoyed/upset/suicidal etc. I just don't know where he's coming from.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2015 23:20]

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

One big marketing own-goal on 23:22 - Dec 21 with 3138 viewsTVOS1907

It's not easy to avoid hearing or reading the comments in this day and age, nor should any fan have to. It's not The Likely Lads!

It's become the main story on the BBC's League One page, it was the heading for the match report in the Football League Paper and will dominate the back page and match report headline of Wednesday's Observer. And it's dominated this board since Wrighty posted it on Saturday night.

Telling people to avoid listening to anything post-match for fear of it upsetting them isn't addressing the issue.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

One big marketing own-goal on 23:40 - Dec 21 with 3093 viewsD_Alien

One big marketing own-goal on 23:22 - Dec 21 by TVOS1907

It's not easy to avoid hearing or reading the comments in this day and age, nor should any fan have to. It's not The Likely Lads!

It's become the main story on the BBC's League One page, it was the heading for the match report in the Football League Paper and will dominate the back page and match report headline of Wednesday's Observer. And it's dominated this board since Wrighty posted it on Saturday night.

Telling people to avoid listening to anything post-match for fear of it upsetting them isn't addressing the issue.

That's two weeks running. Not many fans would've been disgusted by losing 2-1 at Swindon, but many were at his poor attempts to cover the behaviour of the players he puts on the pitch.

And that's two weeks plus several others during the course of this season, and last.

Absolutely nothing has changed regarding fan behaviour - it's pretty much unchanged since Hill's first game in charge; in fact it's quite simply a reflection on common human nature.

He's gone - taken himself, in fact - from being loved to being ridiculed, for no real reason. That's what's really sad about all this.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

One big marketing own-goal on 23:56 - Dec 21 with 3051 viewsD_Dale

One big marketing own-goal on 23:40 - Dec 21 by D_Alien

That's two weeks running. Not many fans would've been disgusted by losing 2-1 at Swindon, but many were at his poor attempts to cover the behaviour of the players he puts on the pitch.

And that's two weeks plus several others during the course of this season, and last.

Absolutely nothing has changed regarding fan behaviour - it's pretty much unchanged since Hill's first game in charge; in fact it's quite simply a reflection on common human nature.

He's gone - taken himself, in fact - from being loved to being ridiculed, for no real reason. That's what's really sad about all this.

Re DA's last paragraph, though the balance has changed, I think there was always some ridicule, not least for his torturing of the English language. Didn't Whitey once provide an anthology of some of the stuff he spouted while at Barnsley?

Probably better to have a rough diamond that a piece of polished glass.
One big marketing own-goal on 00:03 - Dec 22 with 3033 viewsmingthemerciless

He probably thinks he's been at the club too long and it's time for a change.
Login to get fewer ads

One big marketing own-goal on 06:59 - Dec 22 with 2934 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Give Chris Beech the responsibility for pre and post match interviews for a couple of weeks, take Hill out of the equation and he can get on with what he does best...managing the team.
One big marketing own-goal on 07:08 - Dec 22 with 2927 viewsTalkingSutty

One big marketing own-goal on 00:03 - Dec 22 by mingthemerciless

I just see his comments as an internal frustration that swells up inside him. He recently suggested his mates Club are one that we shouldn't hold out much hope of competing with on a level playing field, as though we should envy them.

He speaks about the club he manages as though we are the runt of the litter and not worthy and seems in awe of clubs like Wigan and numerous others in this league, like we should expect defeat, that's not the Keith Hill of old. To consolidate as a league one club we have to get the mentality right and Hilly is the one who constantly likes to highlight we are a small fish in a big pond. At the end of the day we are in League One on merit, why do we need to keep apologising and playing up to the poor neighbours tag, I bet the media are fed up of hearing about it. Beating ourselves down constantly,some seem to revel in it.

The record needs changing. Every time I hear Hilly carping about the supporters and insinuating he is having a hard time i automatically see it as a 'Come and get me' plea ( rightly or wrongly), i think there's method behind his madness and there's a frustration that a bigger fish hasn't rescued him yet. He doesn't seem proud to be the manager of Rochdale Football Club that's for sure, it's like he's doing us a favour*

In reality our Club provides him with a good standard of living and we have done for many years,unless he's on minimum wage like me. When he's carving his top of the range turkey he needs to spare a thought for some of the fans, the highlight of my Xmas day will be a tin of Princess Tinned Ham ( nice on a sandwich with a touch of Piccalilli) and a Snowball ( not in a sexual way).

* I happen to think he could manage at a higher level but in reality there are loads and loads of out of work managers with decent pedigrees, so he could have a long wait.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2015 7:56]
One big marketing own-goal on 09:01 - Dec 22 with 2828 viewsJimmyRustler

Serious question. What would be his motive for so deliberately driving a wedge between himself and the supporters? I know he's done it in the past but that seemed to be more in passing compared to the past couple of weeks?

It's not enough to just put it down to his personality anymore because it comes across as calculated and malicious (see the comments about the perceived degree of premeditation with regards to his latest comments).

Is he trying to get himself in trouble in this way because he knows he's basically untouchable when it comes to the footballing side of things?

Honestly don't understand the man and it's becoming more depressing than concerning.
One big marketing own-goal on 09:05 - Dec 22 with 2820 views442Dale

Depressing? Not sure about that. Would still go for tedious and pointless as the best description of it all.

One big marketing own-goal on 09:11 - Dec 22 with 2812 viewsfitzochris

One big marketing own-goal on 00:03 - Dec 22 by mingthemerciless

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he felt like that.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

One big marketing own-goal on 09:14 - Dec 22 with 2806 viewsJimmyRustler

One big marketing own-goal on 09:05 - Dec 22 by 442Dale

Depressing? Not sure about that. Would still go for tedious and pointless as the best description of it all.

I didn't feel all that unhappy about it until it suddenly appeared in the public domain. I thought the problem might deal with itself but it now looks like something that actually needs addressing.
One big marketing own-goal on 09:24 - Dec 22 with 2789 viewsdingdangblue

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35155314

We didn't lose 3 in a row?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

One big marketing own-goal on 09:34 - Dec 22 with 2402 views442Dale

One big marketing own-goal on 09:24 - Dec 22 by dingdangblue

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35155314

We didn't lose 3 in a row?

Useless. It's also worth considering the line of questioning that came from the BBC Manchester reporter here, it was pathetic and full of inaccuracies (talk of fans expecting the play-offs and promotion). If I was involved at Dale, rather than go along with Wagg's repetitive "Rochdale's great, I've got loads of mate(y)s here", a point should be made to him and his staff about how poorly their organisation has represented our football club.

One big marketing own-goal on 09:53 - Dec 22 with 2371 viewsRosun

I think the damage was done pre-match with PV's programme notes. I read those and thought where is all this negativity coming from? A couple of anonymous herberts on a message board? Did PV and the rest of the players get confused and think that those moans at the Wigan match were really moans and not kids blowing into plastic hooters?

I did hear a few moans and groans at the Colchester game and even one or two boos from the Pearl Street end. Why? My theory is because we started the game like we didn't have a clue who we were playing, what formation we were playing and what the tactics were. Inferior teams like Port Vale and Colchester appear to have done their homework on us that we are notoriously slow starters (Shrewsbury game excepted) and can be suckered into conceding early before we formulise a game plan.

For the first twenty minutes we had high balls hoofed up to Calvin that were bread and butter to their central defenders. It was almost a carbon copy of the Burton away game. You know, the one where KH came out and said that he didn't understand why the players were playing hoof ball with Calvin!

If folk want to boo / bring KH out banners / stay away from the game then that is their prerogative. But, like at the game and on this board, they are the vocal minority.
One big marketing own-goal on 09:57 - Dec 22 with 2358 viewsdingdangblue

One big marketing own-goal on 09:14 - Dec 22 by JimmyRustler

I didn't feel all that unhappy about it until it suddenly appeared in the public domain. I thought the problem might deal with itself but it now looks like something that actually needs addressing.

Hill didn't like fans booing and groaning at his team
Fans didn't like Hill criticising supporters.

Not sure anything was calculated or premeditated.
What if Camps and Andrew had taken those chances before Colchester scored? There would have been no boos and a different interview altogether.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

One big marketing own-goal on 09:59 - Dec 22 with 2356 viewsR17ALE

One big marketing own-goal on 09:53 - Dec 22 by Rosun

I think the damage was done pre-match with PV's programme notes. I read those and thought where is all this negativity coming from? A couple of anonymous herberts on a message board? Did PV and the rest of the players get confused and think that those moans at the Wigan match were really moans and not kids blowing into plastic hooters?

I did hear a few moans and groans at the Colchester game and even one or two boos from the Pearl Street end. Why? My theory is because we started the game like we didn't have a clue who we were playing, what formation we were playing and what the tactics were. Inferior teams like Port Vale and Colchester appear to have done their homework on us that we are notoriously slow starters (Shrewsbury game excepted) and can be suckered into conceding early before we formulise a game plan.

For the first twenty minutes we had high balls hoofed up to Calvin that were bread and butter to their central defenders. It was almost a carbon copy of the Burton away game. You know, the one where KH came out and said that he didn't understand why the players were playing hoof ball with Calvin!

If folk want to boo / bring KH out banners / stay away from the game then that is their prerogative. But, like at the game and on this board, they are the vocal minority.

I might be wrong, but I think there are some "supporters" who target players on twitter after a bad result.

Never been on twitter in my life so haven't seen anything, but I was told once, that certain players have suffered abuse from this work of this devil media.

Now anybody reading this will be thinking exactly how I'm thinking.... if there was some nobody trolling you on twitter, you simply turn off the computer and fook 'em.

It appears some of our players don't know where the OFF button is!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

One big marketing own-goal on 10:07 - Dec 22 with 2343 viewszxcvbnm

I know at least 3 of the first team have closed their accounts

Poll: Best loanee keeper

One big marketing own-goal on 10:08 - Dec 22 with 2339 views442Dale

One big marketing own-goal on 09:57 - Dec 22 by dingdangblue

Hill didn't like fans booing and groaning at his team
Fans didn't like Hill criticising supporters.

Not sure anything was calculated or premeditated.
What if Camps and Andrew had taken those chances before Colchester scored? There would have been no boos and a different interview altogether.

But the boos and moans, although I accept they may have been more where you were, were not anything that transmitted themselves across the whole ground to warrant talking about by the manager when we've just got a crucial three points.

As D_Alien said (I think) football fans are humans and there will be moans now and again. People hurling abuse and booing should be treated with the contempt such actions deserve, nobody takes any notice of them. But to expect they'll go away is unrealistic at any club. They could have been mentioned in a completely positive way eg. "We're grateful to the fans who turn up every week, we really want you to stick with us even when we go a goal behind". The message is still there.

I keep saying that it really is that easy. And it is. And I'll say it again. Because it's easy.

Easy to type too. Easy.

One big marketing own-goal on 10:11 - Dec 22 with 2337 viewsFrog

I stopped listening to him a long time ago, can't stand his ramblings and cringe worthy statements, I find them embarrassing. Beech gives much more focused and relevant interviews.
One big marketing own-goal on 10:14 - Dec 22 with 2324 viewsTVOS1907

One big marketing own-goal on 07:08 - Dec 22 by TalkingSutty

I just see his comments as an internal frustration that swells up inside him. He recently suggested his mates Club are one that we shouldn't hold out much hope of competing with on a level playing field, as though we should envy them.

He speaks about the club he manages as though we are the runt of the litter and not worthy and seems in awe of clubs like Wigan and numerous others in this league, like we should expect defeat, that's not the Keith Hill of old. To consolidate as a league one club we have to get the mentality right and Hilly is the one who constantly likes to highlight we are a small fish in a big pond. At the end of the day we are in League One on merit, why do we need to keep apologising and playing up to the poor neighbours tag, I bet the media are fed up of hearing about it. Beating ourselves down constantly,some seem to revel in it.

The record needs changing. Every time I hear Hilly carping about the supporters and insinuating he is having a hard time i automatically see it as a 'Come and get me' plea ( rightly or wrongly), i think there's method behind his madness and there's a frustration that a bigger fish hasn't rescued him yet. He doesn't seem proud to be the manager of Rochdale Football Club that's for sure, it's like he's doing us a favour*

In reality our Club provides him with a good standard of living and we have done for many years,unless he's on minimum wage like me. When he's carving his top of the range turkey he needs to spare a thought for some of the fans, the highlight of my Xmas day will be a tin of Princess Tinned Ham ( nice on a sandwich with a touch of Piccalilli) and a Snowball ( not in a sexual way).

* I happen to think he could manage at a higher level but in reality there are loads and loads of out of work managers with decent pedigrees, so he could have a long wait.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2015 7:56]

I've always suspected it was Mrs TalkingSutty paying for all your overseas holidays 😜

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

One big marketing own-goal on 10:15 - Dec 22 with 2321 views442Dale

One big marketing own-goal on 10:14 - Dec 22 by TVOS1907

I've always suspected it was Mrs TalkingSutty paying for all your overseas holidays 😜

TalkingCratchit.

One big marketing own-goal on 10:26 - Dec 22 with 2306 viewsTalkingSutty

One big marketing own-goal on 10:14 - Dec 22 by TVOS1907

That girl landed on her feet when we she met me..tall,handsome,witty
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024