Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Volunteers needed now! 11:31 - Feb 5 with 39474 viewsR17ALE

Just had word that the club are doing the drill and fill by hand today. Anyone with an hour or two to spare is welcome, badly needed, as it's a time consuming business.

I think the general aim is to whack in one hole per square yard about 2-3 feet down and then fill with kiln dried sand.

Given that the pitch is around 8000 square yards the club needs help.

Now!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Volunteers needed now! on 16:33 - Feb 5 with 3339 viewsShun

I've seen a photo my friend took of the pitch (different to the ones sweetcorn's posted) and the whole pitch looks rather like a farmyard.
Volunteers needed now! on 16:36 - Feb 5 with 3317 viewsDaleiLama

Volunteers needed now! on 16:06 - Feb 5 by sweetcorn

<a href=" https://ibb.co/ifohvc"> src=" https://thumb.ibb.co/ifohvc/4526_A387_8900_4_A13_A4_FD_1_E85_DF7347_AA.png" alt="4526_A387_8900_4_A13_A4_FD_1_E85_DF7347_AA" border="0"></a>

Yep thats this afternoon, theres another been put on from 20 mins ago

Two or three inches deeper and those trenches could be on the Somme.

Either the club still thinks it will be on as of an hour ago or the left hand doesn't talk to the right?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Volunteers needed now! on 16:42 - Feb 5 with 3273 views100569

<a href=" https://ibb.co/ifohvc"> src=" https://thumb.ibb.co/ifohvc/4526_A387_8900_4_A13_A4_FD_1_E85_DF7347_AA.png" alt="4526_A387_8900_4_A13_A4_FD_1_E85_DF7347_AA" border="0"></a>

I went up this morning to the shop and peered through the gate. That picture is about right BUT and its a big but, its only the half of the ground from the main stand to the centre spot. The Wilbutts side is unaffected from what I could see and isn`t subject to this drill and fill. Might be wrong and hopefully somebody that's has been on there can enlighten us.
Volunteers needed now! on 17:04 - Feb 5 with 3127 viewsdingdangblue

Volunteers needed now! on 16:22 - Feb 5 by sweetcorn

The game wont be on, how can they transform that into something playable?

By rolling it flat? The pitch is a mess - we saw last week - pictures of it under an inch or so of water in places. Hardly any grass to be seen in some areas. I can't believe some people are shocked at the state of it today - it's not going to improve unless it is re turfed in the short term. Even if its not flooded anymore it's going to look horrendous. God help us if we get through and we have to play Spurs on it on national tv - we will be getting some awful abuse about the state of it.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Volunteers needed now! on 17:05 - Feb 5 with 3121 viewselectricblue

My god just look at these tyre ruts...

The pitch must be in a real state.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Volunteers needed now! on 17:05 - Feb 5 with 3120 viewsleedsdale

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2018/february/pitch-update-fa-cup_05.02.17/

Useful update - dome and heaters still on-site it seems
Volunteers needed now! on 17:06 - Feb 5 with 3115 views442Dale

Volunteers needed now! on 16:42 - Feb 5 by 100569

I went up this morning to the shop and peered through the gate. That picture is about right BUT and its a big but, its only the half of the ground from the main stand to the centre spot. The Wilbutts side is unaffected from what I could see and isn`t subject to this drill and fill. Might be wrong and hopefully somebody that's has been on there can enlighten us.

Then it’s only half as embarrassing.

There is literally no reason I can think of why we didn’t relay the pitch as we did last season. That was done in ONE WEEK and we had a pitch that was fine for the rest of the season

If there is a reason, let’s hear it. People are laughing at those pictures, and they’ve every right to.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Volunteers needed now! on 17:06 - Feb 5 with 3107 viewsToffeemanc

As the tail wags the dog yet again by pictures being posted on here we now have an official pitch update.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

Login to get fewer ads

Volunteers needed now! on 17:08 - Feb 5 with 3091 viewsR17ALE

Volunteers needed now! on 16:42 - Feb 5 by 100569

I've been up there today filling in the holes with sand. It looks awful to the eye, but on the drilled and filled area in front of Pearl Street, the pitch is much firmer than the Sandy Lane area, so it does work.

This work couldn't be done sooner because the pitch was simply too boggy to get on it.

All hands to the pump now to finish the filling - there were about 20 people there - then on with the cover.

Rated 80-20 to be on, and if it is it'll be grim!!

Volunteers needed now! on 17:09 - Feb 5 with 3082 views442Dale

Volunteers needed now! on 17:08 - Feb 5 by R17ALE

I've been up there today filling in the holes with sand. It looks awful to the eye, but on the drilled and filled area in front of Pearl Street, the pitch is much firmer than the Sandy Lane area, so it does work.

This work couldn't be done sooner because the pitch was simply too boggy to get on it.

All hands to the pump now to finish the filling - there were about 20 people there - then on with the cover.

Have they still got the hired cover?

Edit: seen the link posted.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2018 17:10]

Volunteers needed now! on 17:10 - Feb 5 with 3067 viewsDevonDale

Volunteers needed now! on 17:06 - Feb 5 by Toffeemanc

As the tail wags the dog yet again by pictures being posted on here we now have an official pitch update.

I notice they haven't included any pictures!!! I wonder why?
Volunteers needed now! on 17:22 - Feb 5 with 2991 viewsRAFCBLUE

But no ability in that official update to publish an "official" photo.

In that circumstance you have to take what has been posted as the pictorial reference by others as an indication that the pitch is not playable even with heaters/big tent/rolling it is going to not be deemed safe for a professional tie.

EDIT:

Missed R17's rating of 80-20 for tomorrow's fixture in an above post and the reference to "grim" - not sounding great.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2018 17:26]

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Volunteers needed now! on 17:39 - Feb 5 with 2883 viewsJimmyRustler

I wouldn't let my wife graze on that. Appalling.
Volunteers needed now! on 17:44 - Feb 5 with 2853 viewsrochdaleriddler

Pretty sure once rolled it will be ok, it will look shit, but grass should start growing in a few weeks, everything is crossed

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Volunteers needed now! on 18:02 - Feb 5 with 2759 views442Dale

Volunteers needed now! on 17:22 - Feb 5 by RAFCBLUE

But no ability in that official update to publish an "official" photo.

In that circumstance you have to take what has been posted as the pictorial reference by others as an indication that the pitch is not playable even with heaters/big tent/rolling it is going to not be deemed safe for a professional tie.

EDIT:

Missed R17's rating of 80-20 for tomorrow's fixture in an above post and the reference to "grim" - not sounding great.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2018 17:26]

Even if we get tomorrow on, there’s another game on Saturday and then a relentless series of home games for weeks. Can the work done stand up to the schedule?

Volunteers needed now! on 18:05 - Feb 5 with 2737 viewsRotherhamDale

No way can two games in a week be played on that. What an embarrassment.

Possession with progression.

Volunteers needed now! on 18:08 - Feb 5 with 2707 viewstony_roch975

Volunteers needed now! on 17:08 - Feb 5 by R17ALE

Lights still on so presumably filling still happening with cover to be replaced after?

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Volunteers needed now! on 18:11 - Feb 5 with 2691 viewsdingdangblue

Torrential rain on Friday?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Volunteers needed now! on 18:12 - Feb 5 with 2681 viewsboromat

Volunteers needed now! on 18:05 - Feb 5 by RotherhamDale

No way can two games in a week be played on that. What an embarrassment.

And that's not considering the rugby fixtures.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Volunteers needed now! on 18:23 - Feb 5 with 2614 viewskiwidale

Volunteers needed now! on 15:52 - Feb 5 by SuddenLad

I am quite sure that Millwall are being updated regularly about the situation as are the relevant authorities. The club have already announced that they are in touch will all concerned about the on-going situation.

Doubtless, a referee will be contacted to inspect the pitch as soon as is necessary if only because the work has been carried out and to make sure all is OK.

Work is still going on and will probably continue after the game tomorrow. It is only a 'make do and mend' situation, not a final solution.

" The club have already announced that they are in touch will all concerned about the on-going situation."

you couldn't make that up.

This is not the time for bickering.

Volunteers needed now! on 18:31 - Feb 5 with 2554 viewsNordenBoysLoveGravy

I posted this three days ago in ‘The Pitch’ thread:

‘- I think the terminology of ‘drill n fill’ is very much misleading based on the link to the machine earlier in this thread that performs such an operation. All that I am led to believe was/is to happen is that the pitch will be vertidrained (by the same company who laid the turf 12 months ago), and the groundstaff will backfill the holes with kiln dried sand-a much cheaper way of doing the actual ‘drill n fill’ operation and extremely time consuming.’

If I knew this would be so labour intensive three days ago then surely the club must of and could of asked for help we’ll in advance of today’s short noticed call to arms? Job very much done on the cheap unfortunately.
Volunteers needed now! on 18:35 - Feb 5 with 2530 viewsValleySaddler

Volunteers needed now! on 18:31 - Feb 5 by NordenBoysLoveGravy

I posted this three days ago in ‘The Pitch’ thread:

‘- I think the terminology of ‘drill n fill’ is very much misleading based on the link to the machine earlier in this thread that performs such an operation. All that I am led to believe was/is to happen is that the pitch will be vertidrained (by the same company who laid the turf 12 months ago), and the groundstaff will backfill the holes with kiln dried sand-a much cheaper way of doing the actual ‘drill n fill’ operation and extremely time consuming.’

If I knew this would be so labour intensive three days ago then surely the club must of and could of asked for help we’ll in advance of today’s short noticed call to arms? Job very much done on the cheap unfortunately.

Hand filling the holes...
Not exactly covering ourselves in glory are we..
Volunteers needed now! on 18:42 - Feb 5 with 2474 viewsR17ALE

Volunteers needed now! on 18:35 - Feb 5 by ValleySaddler

Hand filling the holes...
Not exactly covering ourselves in glory are we..

How else would you fill them?

The top 2-3 inches were like a big wet blancmange refusing to give up the water it held either upwards or downwards. Think piss in a cow shit.

The only way to soak up this moisture whilst keeping the pitch relatively firm is to insert thousands of columns of kiln dried sand, and I can't think of any other way it can be done, than by hand.

I'd say the problems we've got now have been coming for months, and the club are making as good a fist as they can now, just to get a game on.

Volunteers needed now! on 18:43 - Feb 5 with 2452 viewsRAFCBLUE

Volunteers needed now! on 18:02 - Feb 5 by 442Dale

Even if we get tomorrow on, there’s another game on Saturday and then a relentless series of home games for weeks. Can the work done stand up to the schedule?

I agree. I'm not a pitch expert.

My gut feel says not possible pending a proper ground overhaul strategy and better weather.

Either way, from here it puts the club in a quandary around fixture scheduling.

The first free Tuesday we have from now is Tuesday 20th March.

If somehow we overcome Millwall, the Oldham game would be postponed which would go there or 27th March, though the latter is a bit close to Easter and has police considerations.

If we don't get the Millwall game on then, you'd imagine the only option is to play that 4th round tie on 5th round Saturday moving the Oldham game; or on a neutral ground - except there isn't a spare date.

It's a real mess and however it happened there needs to be an investigation, accountability and lessons learned.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Volunteers needed now! on 18:43 - Feb 5 with 2451 views442Dale

Volunteers needed now! on 18:42 - Feb 5 by R17ALE

How else would you fill them?

The top 2-3 inches were like a big wet blancmange refusing to give up the water it held either upwards or downwards. Think piss in a cow shit.

The only way to soak up this moisture whilst keeping the pitch relatively firm is to insert thousands of columns of kiln dried sand, and I can't think of any other way it can be done, than by hand.

I'd say the problems we've got now have been coming for months, and the club are making as good a fist as they can now, just to get a game on.

Why couldn't they have relaid the surface either entirely or in the affected areas and thus removed those top 2-3 inches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024