Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Volunteers needed now! 11:31 - Feb 5 with 39652 viewsR17ALE

Just had word that the club are doing the drill and fill by hand today. Anyone with an hour or two to spare is welcome, badly needed, as it's a time consuming business.

I think the general aim is to whack in one hole per square yard about 2-3 feet down and then fill with kiln dried sand.

Given that the pitch is around 8000 square yards the club needs help.

Now!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Volunteers needed now! on 18:44 - Feb 5 with 2803 viewsDevonDale

This photo is on Twitter

Volunteers needed now! on 18:46 - Feb 5 with 2780 viewsR17ALE

Volunteers needed now! on 18:43 - Feb 5 by 442Dale

Why couldn't they have relaid the surface either entirely or in the affected areas and thus removed those top 2-3 inches?

I don't know. I'm not knowledgeable enough on pitch laying!

Volunteers needed now! on 18:49 - Feb 5 with 2744 viewsRAFCBLUE

Volunteers needed now! on 18:42 - Feb 5 by R17ALE

How else would you fill them?

The top 2-3 inches were like a big wet blancmange refusing to give up the water it held either upwards or downwards. Think piss in a cow shit.

The only way to soak up this moisture whilst keeping the pitch relatively firm is to insert thousands of columns of kiln dried sand, and I can't think of any other way it can be done, than by hand.

I'd say the problems we've got now have been coming for months, and the club are making as good a fist as they can now, just to get a game on.

Based on your last comment R17 and having seen the surface, do you think this was preventable (in that it looked like it had been coming for months)?

I can't think of a patch of grass in the borough that has or gets so much attention from professionals over a year yet no one did see this coming.

At the minute we can't identify our Mick Hunt and to all and sundry this mess appears a huge surprise/completely unexpected.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Volunteers needed now! on 18:54 - Feb 5 with 2700 views442Dale

Volunteers needed now! on 18:44 - Feb 5 by DevonDale

This photo is on Twitter

No doubt there will be some who are cursing the pictures going public rather than the reasons why they have.

Fans deserve to see it and any criticism is totally warranted.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Volunteers needed now! on 18:58 - Feb 5 with 2671 viewsSuddenLad

Volunteers needed now! on 18:05 - Feb 5 by RotherhamDale

No way can two games in a week be played on that. What an embarrassment.

And you know that because ?

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Volunteers needed now! on 18:59 - Feb 5 with 2659 viewskiwidale

Volunteers needed now! on 17:22 - Feb 5 by RAFCBLUE

But no ability in that official update to publish an "official" photo.

In that circumstance you have to take what has been posted as the pictorial reference by others as an indication that the pitch is not playable even with heaters/big tent/rolling it is going to not be deemed safe for a professional tie.

EDIT:

Missed R17's rating of 80-20 for tomorrow's fixture in an above post and the reference to "grim" - not sounding great.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2018 17:26]

The more I think about it the more I think the club are taking the piss why give an update (that actually tells you nothing) without a picture? The covers look great can we play on them?

This is not the time for bickering.

Volunteers needed now! on 18:59 - Feb 5 with 2658 viewsR17ALE

Volunteers needed now! on 18:49 - Feb 5 by RAFCBLUE

Based on your last comment R17 and having seen the surface, do you think this was preventable (in that it looked like it had been coming for months)?

I can't think of a patch of grass in the borough that has or gets so much attention from professionals over a year yet no one did see this coming.

At the minute we can't identify our Mick Hunt and to all and sundry this mess appears a huge surprise/completely unexpected.

I'm only speculating, but the pitch that was laid 12 months ago was done so on a soil base and not a fibre sand one. Presumably this was because you can only lay a soil based pitch in winter.

Each time the pitch is then rolled or cut, the soil compacts and drainage is then limited to the quality of the grass cover and root structure.

So from my limited knowledge, that tells me the situation has been months in the making.

Then to put the cherry on the cake, the soaking pitch was allowed to freeze, I believe, after the Blackpool game which ripped up the root structure and with it, the drainage.

Ten days later we played a check a trades game and anyone who was there knew immediately the pitch was fooked.

Volunteers needed now! on 19:02 - Feb 5 with 2632 viewsmingthemerciless

I've seen other photos that are equally bad. I've never had to play on a pitch like that and I've played against " Gravel-hole " away ! The clue is in the name.
Unless there is a miracle between now and tomorrow tea time I can't see that pitch being playable. As it stands now Millwall would be in their rights to refuse to play on it in my opinion.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2018 19:03]
Login to get fewer ads

Volunteers needed now! on 19:02 - Feb 5 with 2621 viewsMoonyDale

Volunteers needed now! on 18:54 - Feb 5 by 442Dale

No doubt there will be some who are cursing the pictures going public rather than the reasons why they have.

Fans deserve to see it and any criticism is totally warranted.

Surely no ref would even consider allowing a game on that sh1t heap, even after rolling the ground the first boot will rip it to shreds...And it's gonna be below freezing during the game, called off and play on a neutral ground I fear..

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Volunteers needed now! on 19:02 - Feb 5 with 2617 viewsValleySaddler

Volunteers needed now! on 18:42 - Feb 5 by R17ALE

How else would you fill them?

The top 2-3 inches were like a big wet blancmange refusing to give up the water it held either upwards or downwards. Think piss in a cow shit.

The only way to soak up this moisture whilst keeping the pitch relatively firm is to insert thousands of columns of kiln dried sand, and I can't think of any other way it can be done, than by hand.

I'd say the problems we've got now have been coming for months, and the club are making as good a fist as they can now, just to get a game on.

From watching the videos of the process I expected it to be done by machine.
If the surface didn’t allow for this because of its condition and the job needed doing by hand then surely a call for volunteers should have been made before lunchtime today.
Maximum respect to those able to help and I hope to god by some miracle we get the game on.

The sooner we can finish this season and put this awful mess behind us the better.
Volunteers needed now! on 19:06 - Feb 5 with 2583 viewskel

Volunteers needed now! on 18:58 - Feb 5 by SuddenLad

It’s his opinion probably. I know you like to get on your moral high horse where they are concerned but that’s just the way it is, flower.
Volunteers needed now! on 19:09 - Feb 5 with 2548 viewsDaley_Lama

Volunteers needed now! on 19:02 - Feb 5 by ValleySaddler

If the surface didn’t allow for this because of its condition and the job needed doing by hand then surely a call for volunteers should have been made before lunchtime today.
Maximum respect to those able to help and I hope to god by some miracle we get the game on.

The sooner we can finish this season and put this awful mess behind us the better.

Currently working in Kent, plans to cut work short at lunchtime to head back are afoot.

If the club could advise by lunchtime if the game is likely to be on, then it would be much appreciated.

If it is called off, i do hope they have a plan B for playing this game sooner rather than later.

Poll: DF in or out

Volunteers needed now! on 19:10 - Feb 5 with 2532 viewsRotherhamDale

Volunteers needed now! on 18:58 - Feb 5 by SuddenLad

Look at it.

Possession with progression.

Volunteers needed now! on 19:12 - Feb 5 with 2516 viewskel

Volunteers needed now! on 19:09 - Feb 5 by Daley_Lama

Currently working in Kent, plans to cut work short at lunchtime to head back are afoot.

If the club could advise by lunchtime if the game is likely to be on, then it would be much appreciated.

If it is called off, i do hope they have a plan B for playing this game sooner rather than later.

Have you considered asking sudden/well i’th lane lad?
Volunteers needed now! on 19:12 - Feb 5 with 2509 viewsSuddenLad

Volunteers needed now! on 19:06 - Feb 5 by kel

It’s his opinion probably. I know you like to get on your moral high horse where they are concerned but that’s just the way it is, flower.

"They" ? petal . Who might 'they' be ?

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Volunteers needed now! on 19:13 - Feb 5 with 2497 viewskiwidale

Volunteers needed now! on 19:02 - Feb 5 by mingthemerciless

I've seen other photos that are equally bad. I've never had to play on a pitch like that and I've played against " Gravel-hole " away ! The clue is in the name.
Unless there is a miracle between now and tomorrow tea time I can't see that pitch being playable. As it stands now Millwall would be in their rights to refuse to play on it in my opinion.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2018 19:03]

I would imagine Millwall will be fully aware of the condition of the pitch and ongoing work. I would fully expect that they have someone on site or at least some one from their club giving them daily updates and also expect them to have asked the FA if its within the rules for them to refuse to play on a pitch that they believe is dangerous? I guess the final decision will be the Refs but I would imagine Millwall will be bending the ref's ear one way or the other.

This is not the time for bickering.

Volunteers needed now! on 19:13 - Feb 5 with 2491 viewskel

Volunteers needed now! on 19:12 - Feb 5 by SuddenLad

"They" ? petal . Who might 'they' be ?

Opinions, poppet. Hence the word ‘they’.

Would you like me to rephrase it into something that you can understand?
[Post edited 5 Feb 2018 19:17]
Volunteers needed now! on 19:17 - Feb 5 with 2446 viewsTVOS1907

Volunteers needed now! on 18:43 - Feb 5 by RAFCBLUE

I agree. I'm not a pitch expert.

My gut feel says not possible pending a proper ground overhaul strategy and better weather.

Either way, from here it puts the club in a quandary around fixture scheduling.

The first free Tuesday we have from now is Tuesday 20th March.

If somehow we overcome Millwall, the Oldham game would be postponed which would go there or 27th March, though the latter is a bit close to Easter and has police considerations.

If we don't get the Millwall game on then, you'd imagine the only option is to play that 4th round tie on 5th round Saturday moving the Oldham game; or on a neutral ground - except there isn't a spare date.

It's a real mess and however it happened there needs to be an investigation, accountability and lessons learned.

We also currently have Tuesday 27th February free.

I'm not sure what the problem is with 27th March being in the week before Easter. Clubs have played plenty of games at that time of season before.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Volunteers needed now! on 19:26 - Feb 5 with 2348 viewsRotherhamDale

The positive is that if Spurs and Dale get through... The pitch could be a leveller...

Possession with progression.

Volunteers needed now! on 19:27 - Feb 5 with 2336 viewsdingdangblue

Volunteers needed now! on 19:02 - Feb 5 by ValleySaddler

Yes that machinery drilled and filled automatic - I guess the club had a budget? but it was mentioned in the trust statement that the pitch laying company from last year were involved and we were using their gear. Unless it only drilled? And the filling has to be done manually - like you said though - why wait till lunchtime today to ask for volunteers? Why not pre warn people?
[Post edited 5 Feb 2018 19:38]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Volunteers needed now! on 19:29 - Feb 5 with 2313 viewsShun

Volunteers needed now! on 18:43 - Feb 5 by RAFCBLUE

I agree. I'm not a pitch expert.

My gut feel says not possible pending a proper ground overhaul strategy and better weather.

Either way, from here it puts the club in a quandary around fixture scheduling.

The first free Tuesday we have from now is Tuesday 20th March.

If somehow we overcome Millwall, the Oldham game would be postponed which would go there or 27th March, though the latter is a bit close to Easter and has police considerations.

If we don't get the Millwall game on then, you'd imagine the only option is to play that 4th round tie on 5th round Saturday moving the Oldham game; or on a neutral ground - except there isn't a spare date.

It's a real mess and however it happened there needs to be an investigation, accountability and lessons learned.

We have a free Tuesday on the 27th of Feb.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/forum/216969/fixtures/#14

But I agree with everything else you've said. What a mess.

Edit: Just realised TVOS posted this earlier.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2018 19:36]
Volunteers needed now! on 19:30 - Feb 5 with 2295 viewsTVOS1907

Volunteers needed now! on 17:05 - Feb 5 by electricblue

My god just look at these tyre ruts...

The pitch must be in a real state.....

Well spotted!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Volunteers needed now! on 19:32 - Feb 5 with 2280 views442Dale

Volunteers needed now! on 19:27 - Feb 5 by dingdangblue

Yes that machinery drilled and filled automatic - I guess the club had a budget? but it was mentioned in the trust statement that the pitch laying company from last year were involved and we were using their gear. Unless it only drilled? And the filling has to be done manually - like you said though - why wait till lunchtime today to ask for volunteers? Why not pre warn people?
[Post edited 5 Feb 2018 19:38]

Which also indicates that ANY rain will cause issues in the future so we either keep the dome over the tip of a pitch, or relay it in the areas that are beyond.

The drill and fill will assist, but can they GUARANTEE it will prevent further issues?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Volunteers needed now! on 19:32 - Feb 5 with 2276 viewskel

Volunteers needed now! on 19:13 - Feb 5 by kel

Opinions, poppet. Hence the word ‘they’.

Would you like me to rephrase it into something that you can understand?
[Post edited 5 Feb 2018 19:17]

And just for clarity, Paul, I won’t forget you were one of the ones who stuck the boot in over Cambridgegate.

You’re welcome.
Volunteers needed now! on 19:36 - Feb 5 with 2236 viewsDalenet

Shambles. It is a WHOLE MONTH since we last played on that damaged pitch and we have made no progress in fixing it. Who have we been asking for advice and why have we lost 3 weeks before action was started. We shouldn't be surprised if we get fined and asked to forfeit the FA Cup game.

A professional club needs to behave better than this surely? So disappointed.

But I respect the fact that volunteers have been involved today. You are a credit to the club - just doesn't excuse why we haven't paid for professional support before now
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024