Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Volunteers needed now! 11:31 - Feb 5 with 39658 viewsR17ALE

Just had word that the club are doing the drill and fill by hand today. Anyone with an hour or two to spare is welcome, badly needed, as it's a time consuming business.

I think the general aim is to whack in one hole per square yard about 2-3 feet down and then fill with kiln dried sand.

Given that the pitch is around 8000 square yards the club needs help.

Now!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Volunteers needed now! on 20:54 - Feb 5 with 3757 viewsdingdangblue

Volunteers needed now! on 20:24 - Feb 5 by R17ALE

Yes. When I left at 5pm three quarters of the filling had been done. From the centre-spot to the main stand touchline had been done. All the Pearl Street half had been done and was beginning to dry and firm up.

Half the Sandy Lane half had been done, but this half was in far worse condition. The Willbutts Lane side of the pitch looks reasonable.

I'm not belittling the situation, but it looks much worse than it is. At least you can now walk in a normal way on the treated Pearl Street half, whereas on the untreated Sandy half you were walking on a moving floor with mud squelching out from under your feet each time you took a step. And the mud smelt of shit.

Hopefully overnight the sand will soak up all the moisture and thicken up the top 3 inches and give the pitch some structure. Playing football on it might be tricky, and a ref might deem it dangerous. I certainly wouldn't like to open the batting on it.

I imagine it will be fairly obvious if it's got a chance first thing tomorrow. The hope is that it's completely dried out overnight, and can be brushed and rolled. Spray it with green paint, put the lines down and no-one will ever know!

Let's hope tomorrow's snow forecast is wrong 😮 🌨❄️

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Volunteers needed now! on 20:58 - Feb 5 with 3698 views442Dale

Volunteers needed now! on 20:54 - Feb 5 by dingdangblue

Let's hope tomorrow's snow forecast is wrong 😮 🌨❄️

That shouldn't be a problem though. It'll be covered.

The issue is the surface as we stand, irrespective of what the weather does, can it get us through to the end of the season?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Volunteers needed now! on 21:01 - Feb 5 with 3670 viewsdingdangblue

Volunteers needed now! on 20:58 - Feb 5 by 442Dale

That shouldn't be a problem though. It'll be covered.

The issue is the surface as we stand, irrespective of what the weather does, can it get us through to the end of the season?

It'll be a problem if the ref wants an early inspection before Millwall travel?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Volunteers needed now! on 21:09 - Feb 5 with 3607 viewsTVOS1907

Volunteers needed now! on 21:01 - Feb 5 by dingdangblue

It'll be a problem if the ref wants an early inspection before Millwall travel?

The ref is from West Sussex, so he might already be here or they will call in someone local like Lee Mason, Paul Tierney or Darren Bond.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Volunteers needed now! on 21:10 - Feb 5 with 3608 viewsR17ALE

Volunteers needed now! on 20:47 - Feb 5 by D_Alien

Since questions are coming at you from all sides, would we have been better off laying a shit-based pitch, with peanuts to aid the drainage?

Quite possibly.

As long as dry-roasted peanuts were used.

Using the wrong type of peanut would lead to massive problems in 12 months.

Volunteers needed now! on 21:12 - Feb 5 with 3579 viewsDaleiLama

Volunteers needed now! on 21:10 - Feb 5 by R17ALE

Quite possibly.

Are there any peanuts left after paying for that pitch and all the consultants?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Volunteers needed now! on 21:13 - Feb 5 with 3569 viewsTVOS1907

Volunteers needed now! on 21:10 - Feb 5 by R17ALE

Quite possibly.

As long as Planters are happy.

Volunteers needed now! on 21:14 - Feb 5 with 3564 viewsnordenblue

Volunteers needed now! on 20:38 - Feb 5 by 442Dale

It's amateurish. Those doing it should try thinking how annoyed they get when those rumours/pictures of the pitch/comments on how they could do better then appear on here.

I totally agree with you,after an endless list off fook ups nobody can still be remotely surprised by anything amateurish that goes on?
Login to get fewer ads

Volunteers needed now! on 21:19 - Feb 5 with 3526 viewsDaley_Lama

Thank-you all who went up today to help the groundstaff, whether the game is on or not.

Poll: DF in or out

Volunteers needed now! on 21:40 - Feb 5 with 3372 viewsRotherhamDale

Volunteers needed now! on 21:19 - Feb 5 by Daley_Lama

Thank-you all who went up today to help the groundstaff, whether the game is on or not.

Well said.

Great commitment on a Monday afternoon.

Possession with progression.

Volunteers needed now! on 21:40 - Feb 5 with 3369 viewsSwissdale

Volunteers needed now! on 20:25 - Feb 5 by 442Dale

Why are these rumours floating about? Why is it ok for some, presumably connected with the club, to talk about these plans with supporters in conversation and yet not be totally transparent with the entire fanbase through official channels.

If there's an update, then communicate it.

I have absolutely no connection with Rochdale AFC, other than being a supporter.

As long as the club make adequate arrangements for supporters, I would actually be up for half a season in exile - anything to give us a better chance of staying up.
Volunteers needed now! on 21:47 - Feb 5 with 3309 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Correct!......and thanks to R17 for the concise updates on the actual work undertaken......that's all it needs: keeping us informed.

Thanks
Volunteers needed now! on 21:52 - Feb 5 with 3274 viewsR17ALE

Volunteers needed now! on 20:31 - Feb 5 by JimmyRustler

It's no shock that it's the Sandy end that smells of shite given the amount spouted from there on matchdays!

I was told by those who were there from the start that the Pearl Street end smelt worse.

In front of the Main Stand there was no smell at all.

Volunteers needed now! on 21:56 - Feb 5 with 3245 viewsTVOS1907

Volunteers needed now! on 21:52 - Feb 5 by R17ALE

I was told by those who were there from the start that the Pearl Street end smelt worse.

In front of the Main Stand there was no smell at all.

There's a good line here - but I better not make it for fear of upsetting BigKindo...

Volunteers needed now! on 21:59 - Feb 5 with 3216 viewsClivert

Well said Lama. Hopefully the prize for all the volunteers will be Spurs at home!

There’s a picture on Facebook tonight taken under the ‘dome’ and the pitch is looking in a much better condition.
Volunteers needed now! on 22:01 - Feb 5 with 3199 viewsDaleFan7

Volunteers needed now! on 21:40 - Feb 5 by Swissdale

I have absolutely no connection with Rochdale AFC, other than being a supporter.

As long as the club make adequate arrangements for supporters, I would actually be up for half a season in exile - anything to give us a better chance of staying up.

Some wouldn't though and they shouldn't have to either. For that to even have to be mentioned never mind properly considered is disgraceful and utterly embarrassing.

I wonder, if it did happen, where people would stand r.e. their statutory rights at buying a product that the vendor cannot fulfil.
Volunteers needed now! on 22:06 - Feb 5 with 3158 viewsR17ALE

Volunteers needed now! on 21:59 - Feb 5 by Clivert

Well said Lama. Hopefully the prize for all the volunteers will be Spurs at home!

There’s a picture on Facebook tonight taken under the ‘dome’ and the pitch is looking in a much better condition.

Not seen the picture, but that encourages me. Kiln dried sand does take a few hours to grab in the wetness. Overnight the hope is that it absorbs all the moisture held in the pitch whilst providing an outlet through the pitch for anymore rain that falls.

This approach did work circa 2000 and actually led to the pitch becoming too dry.

Hopefully it will work again. It's primitive stuff, but we're at a damage limitation stage now. It's just about getting games on now.

Volunteers needed now! on 22:09 - Feb 5 with 3125 viewsleedsdale

Looks like the frost covers have been loaned out (unless they just happened to get them from somewhere in Rochdale, of course)

[Post edited 5 Feb 2018 22:10]
Volunteers needed now! on 22:18 - Feb 5 with 3049 viewsClivert

Volunteers needed now! on 22:06 - Feb 5 by R17ALE

Not seen the picture, but that encourages me. Kiln dried sand does take a few hours to grab in the wetness. Overnight the hope is that it absorbs all the moisture held in the pitch whilst providing an outlet through the pitch for anymore rain that falls.

This approach did work circa 2000 and actually led to the pitch becoming too dry.

Hopefully it will work again. It's primitive stuff, but we're at a damage limitation stage now. It's just about getting games on now.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/27503875_101561948
Volunteers needed now! on 22:28 - Feb 5 with 2996 viewsrochdale_ranger

Like a fool I set off from the other side of Stockport at six o'clock after work last tuesday for the Wigan game after not seeing any updates on here or the official site about the postponement (i checked before I set off) little did I know it it was called off thirty six hours earlier as one of our Bucket shaking friends pointed out.

I hope the game is still on tommorow if anything for the guys who have helped out (the club should pay for all of your ale next home game) but I cant see it being the case with the weather forecast.

If the club knew the pitch was a shitheap in mid January then why was nothing done. Bacup Borough dont get games called off two days before a game this isn't tinpot it's beyond that.
Volunteers needed now! on 22:34 - Feb 5 with 2954 viewsjudd

Echoing the gratitude to those who gave their time today. Amazing set of fans.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Volunteers needed now! on 22:38 - Feb 5 with 2930 viewsR17ALE

Volunteers needed now! on 22:18 - Feb 5 by Clivert

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/27503875_101561948

Don't know which end that has been taken from. If it's from the Sandy I think we will be on. That's a remarkable turnaround from the dough I was walking on 6 hours ago!

Volunteers needed now! on 22:42 - Feb 5 with 2902 viewsSandyDrum

Heading up to the club now to lend a hand, will give an update and post a photo when I can

Wish I'd chosen a different username...

Volunteers needed now! on 23:10 - Feb 5 with 2756 viewsdingdangblue

Volunteers needed now! on 22:38 - Feb 5 by R17ALE

Don't know which end that has been taken from. If it's from the Sandy I think we will be on. That's a remarkable turnaround from the dough I was walking on 6 hours ago!

With all the grass that's got to be taken from the Pearl St end on the Wilbutts side? - if not then that's looking almost playable!! 😮
[Post edited 5 Feb 2018 23:12]

Volunteers needed now! on 00:31 - Feb 6 with 2570 viewsSandyDrum

Just been up and done an hour, I'll tell you what, credit to everyone who's been up so far and to the ground staff.
The pitch is looking a damn site better than it was a few days ago.

It took me and a mate an hour to do a section about 20 yards x 4 yards so the whole process is very time consuming.

If you have a spare hour, please go and help the guys out, they will really appreciate it.

From what I gather/overheard, the referee is due at the ground mid morning tomorrow.

I hope he's open minded because if he turns up and the the pitch is like it is right now, he's just going to say absolutely no chance there and then before any Millwall fans set off.

Hopefully he's open minded and gives the staff a chance to finish the job and get the pitch rolled / cleaned up.

It will be in a fit state I reckon by tomorrow night, but with an early inspection, anything could happen.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2018 0:34]

Wish I'd chosen a different username...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024