Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion 14:10 - Feb 26 with 44011 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/54347/match-preview-rochdal

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 16:05 - Feb 28 with 2362 viewsNigeriamark

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 15:34 - Feb 28 by 442Dale

Actually talk of the contract raises the question why there was no mention in the statement last week about it being negotiated for an extension. The support of the manager was obvious, so surely that converts into them getting him to stay for a longer period?

I suppose because the people who really think the clubs support for BBM is binding obviously haven't noted the thousands of times other clubs have also given their binding support or a vote of confidence. It really means nothing & is something all clubs say in difficult times. No reason they can't sack him, keep him, bring in an assistant above him or anything else they want
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 16:14 - Feb 28 with 2322 views442Dale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 16:05 - Feb 28 by Nigeriamark

I suppose because the people who really think the clubs support for BBM is binding obviously haven't noted the thousands of times other clubs have also given their binding support or a vote of confidence. It really means nothing & is something all clubs say in difficult times. No reason they can't sack him, keep him, bring in an assistant above him or anything else they want

Indeed. But most “votes of confidence” aren’t included within a statement which also emphasises the overall direction of a club.

To now make a change would also bring further questions about the rest of such a statement if the manager that has been backed is central to it, especially one who is in their own words “hugely talented”.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 16:43 - Feb 28 with 2251 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 16:14 - Feb 28 by 442Dale

Indeed. But most “votes of confidence” aren’t included within a statement which also emphasises the overall direction of a club.

To now make a change would also bring further questions about the rest of such a statement if the manager that has been backed is central to it, especially one who is in their own words “hugely talented”.

Supporters are invited to join a Virtual Fans Forum on Wednesday 10th March.

Taking place online, the forum will be streamed live on the club’s YouTube channel.

Manager Brian Barry-Murphy and First Team Coach Lee Riley will be on the panel, alongside the Board of Directors and the club’s interim Chair, Andrew Kelly.

He is also the Head line act at the VFF.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 16:46 - Feb 28 with 2236 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 16:43 - Feb 28 by James1980

Supporters are invited to join a Virtual Fans Forum on Wednesday 10th March.

Taking place online, the forum will be streamed live on the club’s YouTube channel.

Manager Brian Barry-Murphy and First Team Coach Lee Riley will be on the panel, alongside the Board of Directors and the club’s interim Chair, Andrew Kelly.

He is also the Head line act at the VFF.

Head on the line act?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 17:06 - Feb 28 with 2178 viewsHopwoodblue

If they truly believe he is the man to take this club forward why he they not mentioned extending his contract ? To wait until the end of the season before making a decision is crazy as we all know what’s going to happen. Waiting until we are relegated before sacking him is crazy when doing it now would at least give us a fighting chance of staying up.
Are they frightened what it would do to season ticket sales if they publicly announce a contract extension right now?
I for one would be fuming if they wait until we are relegated before they make the decision to let him go!
I can only think they have something up their sleeve which will be announced before the forum that will take the sting out of any awkward questions.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2021 17:22]

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 17:14 - Feb 28 with 2140 views442Dale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 17:06 - Feb 28 by Hopwoodblue

If they truly believe he is the man to take this club forward why he they not mentioned extending his contract ? To wait until the end of the season before making a decision is crazy as we all know what’s going to happen. Waiting until we are relegated before sacking him is crazy when doing it now would at least give us a fighting chance of staying up.
Are they frightened what it would do to season ticket sales if they publicly announce a contract extension right now?
I for one would be fuming if they wait until we are relegated before they make the decision to let him go!
I can only think they have something up their sleeve which will be announced before the forum that will take the sting out of any awkward questions.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2021 17:22]

A left back?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 17:26 - Feb 28 with 2088 viewsAtThePeake

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 17:33 - Feb 27 by deeplishblue

I made up my mind about BBM in August 2019. Can't believe that he is still in the job 18 months later.

I want BBM to go, I have done for a few weeks. The performances are unacceptable and without a change now, relegation feels inevitable. Of course, it isn't inevitable, we could win the next 10 games, but right now it certainly feels it. I do feel the right timing was a few weeks ago as I think the effects of any 'new manager bounce' are far less likely to be felt in the next five games looking at how difficult the fixtures are. Also, as 442 pointed out, sacking him a few days after that statement calls into question that whole statement and the very direction of the club. Should he keep his job on that basis? No. He should still be removed, but the right time to remove him has been and gone.

But all of that said, I really can't stand the over-reactions and the rewriting of history when things are going downhill quickly.

Deeplishblue - out of interest, what was it that saw you make your mind up about BBM in August 2019? Was it the one defeat in six in the league or was it the two EFL Cup wins to set up the tie at Old Trafford?

14bowlers (on your own thread) Is this really the worst team in 60 years? Worst than the re-election teams, some of who finished rock bottom of the league below? Worse than Eyre's team? Worse than the 1973/74 team that won 2 games all season?

Some are worried that we are going to be relegated into non-league... based on what? You're worried about us being relegated out of a league we haven't even been relegated into yet? Calm down. Worry about that in a year's time if things are still going as badly as this, but this time a year ago we were all watching matches in grounds, we still had Callum Camps and Ian Henderson in our squad and nobody had ever heard of Dan Altman or Emre Marcelli. A year is a long time in football.

NorthernDale, your sub 1000 crowds next year comment... again, based on what? Cause a handful of people you know have said they aren't going to bother next season? When's the last time we had a sub-1000 crowd for a league game? Yes, the attendances are likely to drop, but you can say that without the huge exaggeration.

It's hard to read, because the underlying points are relevant and the frustration is real, but the exaggerations come across as hysterical and dilute the points being made - and I wouldn't wholly blame people at the club if they were to disregard them as a result.

Tangled up in blue.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 17:35 - Feb 28 with 2050 viewsblackdogblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 17:26 - Feb 28 by AtThePeake

I want BBM to go, I have done for a few weeks. The performances are unacceptable and without a change now, relegation feels inevitable. Of course, it isn't inevitable, we could win the next 10 games, but right now it certainly feels it. I do feel the right timing was a few weeks ago as I think the effects of any 'new manager bounce' are far less likely to be felt in the next five games looking at how difficult the fixtures are. Also, as 442 pointed out, sacking him a few days after that statement calls into question that whole statement and the very direction of the club. Should he keep his job on that basis? No. He should still be removed, but the right time to remove him has been and gone.

But all of that said, I really can't stand the over-reactions and the rewriting of history when things are going downhill quickly.

Deeplishblue - out of interest, what was it that saw you make your mind up about BBM in August 2019? Was it the one defeat in six in the league or was it the two EFL Cup wins to set up the tie at Old Trafford?

14bowlers (on your own thread) Is this really the worst team in 60 years? Worst than the re-election teams, some of who finished rock bottom of the league below? Worse than Eyre's team? Worse than the 1973/74 team that won 2 games all season?

Some are worried that we are going to be relegated into non-league... based on what? You're worried about us being relegated out of a league we haven't even been relegated into yet? Calm down. Worry about that in a year's time if things are still going as badly as this, but this time a year ago we were all watching matches in grounds, we still had Callum Camps and Ian Henderson in our squad and nobody had ever heard of Dan Altman or Emre Marcelli. A year is a long time in football.

NorthernDale, your sub 1000 crowds next year comment... again, based on what? Cause a handful of people you know have said they aren't going to bother next season? When's the last time we had a sub-1000 crowd for a league game? Yes, the attendances are likely to drop, but you can say that without the huge exaggeration.

It's hard to read, because the underlying points are relevant and the frustration is real, but the exaggerations come across as hysterical and dilute the points being made - and I wouldn't wholly blame people at the club if they were to disregard them as a result.

Can relate to most of your points except the crowd.

I agree with a lot of the points raised here & there in a few different posts. £350 x 2 + £80 was it for a junior is all but £800. To watch what? We all know our home form....

People will not stump up for season cards in this form, who knows if there will be a wave 3 of covid?

People will shun the season cards I truly believe & pick and choose games via pay on the day with that club card thing I predict..
[Post edited 28 Feb 2021 17:36]

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 17:44 - Feb 28 with 2031 viewsAtThePeake

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 17:35 - Feb 28 by blackdogblue

I agree with a lot of the points raised here & there in a few different posts. £350 x 2 + £80 was it for a junior is all but £800. To watch what? We all know our home form....

People will not stump up for season cards in this form, who knows if there will be a wave 3 of covid?

People will shun the season cards I truly believe & pick and choose games via pay on the day with that club card thing I predict..

The original post said we 'will struggle to get gates of 1,000' before mentioning season cards, which is a different matter.

Like I say, the attendances are undoubtedly going to drop (and the point about season cards is a fair one) but we would need to lose 70% of our average attendance from our last season with crowds for a sub-1000 gate. That won't happen.

Tangled up in blue.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 17:48 - Feb 28 with 2013 viewsfitzochris

I’ve refrained from posting on this thread so far as I’ve not wanted the hassle I’ve had elsewhere for speaking my mind, but, if I had, this is what I would’ve said, pretty much word for word.

It’s bang on. It’s not toxic, it’s the feelings of a supporter who knows what’s best for his club in the long term. There’s no pleasure to be gleaned from it, or oneupmanship, it’s just a necessity.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2021 17:53]

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 17:52 - Feb 28 with 2004 views442Dale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 17:35 - Feb 28 by blackdogblue

Which people? Based on what research? What are the prices next season? Some will stump up, it’s all up in the air. ATP’s post covers the whole situation really well, it should be required reading for those at the club and supporters alike. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it’s theirs and theirs alone, we aren’t all representing everyone else, something maybe we all can learn - even the author of this post. That still doesn’t change that the club should be recognising a pretty consistent despondency that exists across all those opinions, which have been made in a considered way by a great many who are very concerned about their club.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 17:58 - Feb 28 with 1963 viewsShun

Preach it, ATP. Brilliant post, I agree with every word.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2021 18:15]
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 19:02 - Feb 28 with 1828 viewsboromat

Agree with all of that well said.

I'm not sure where I stand on BBM though I'm feeling very defeatist and can't see us turning anything around by changing the manager or by any other means. Part of me thinks screw it might as well stick with him now and buckle in for the ride. Would love to know the boards thoughts and plans. The forum will be very interesting!

Also there's been loads of attention on the manager and the board. But for me the players aren't getting enough stick. Alot of the key players that should have been the backbone of our team this year just haven't turned up enough. Rathbone, O'Connell and Humphrys are the 3 for me. I might be being a bit harsh on Humphrys.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 19:15 - Feb 28 with 1797 viewsNorthernDale

I accept that my post of 1,000 gates was tonque in cheek, but I am of the age group when we use to get gates of 1,500 or less for some games. How many would turn up on a cold, wet Tuesday night to watch a league 2 game against somebody like Stevenage for example, with BBM using the same failed tactics and questionable team selection?
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:13 - Feb 28 with 1675 viewsblackdogblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 17:52 - Feb 28 by 442Dale

Which people? Based on what research? What are the prices next season? Some will stump up, it’s all up in the air. ATP’s post covers the whole situation really well, it should be required reading for those at the club and supporters alike. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it’s theirs and theirs alone, we aren’t all representing everyone else, something maybe we all can learn - even the author of this post. That still doesn’t change that the club should be recognising a pretty consistent despondency that exists across all those opinions, which have been made in a considered way by a great many who are very concerned about their club.

I respect your opinion & yes that post was based on my “personal” view which is why I quoted 2+1 prices we pay without the cost of following the team away to most games for a long, long time now, plus what, mostly me spends in the club shop year on year..

“People” was referring to the general consensus of opinions on here only..Covid has changed a lot of things, I know from work there is a hidden mental health thread which is not being discussed but I am not a political person. The stay at home message will not just vanish on whatever date it is when we are “unlocked”.. it will be a long road to recovery..

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:18 - Feb 28 with 1656 viewsblackdogblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 17:44 - Feb 28 by AtThePeake

The original post said we 'will struggle to get gates of 1,000' before mentioning season cards, which is a different matter.

Like I say, the attendances are undoubtedly going to drop (and the point about season cards is a fair one) but we would need to lose 70% of our average attendance from our last season with crowds for a sub-1000 gate. That won't happen.

👍, as per my last post ATP, I fear people will not be rushing back & the “youth” will either need weening of PS or X Box, trying to catch up on missed schoolwork etc,etc rather than wanting to watch a football match unfortunately

I do hope I’m wrong though

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:32 - Feb 28 with 1640 viewsBillyRudd

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 19:15 - Feb 28 by NorthernDale

I accept that my post of 1,000 gates was tonque in cheek, but I am of the age group when we use to get gates of 1,500 or less for some games. How many would turn up on a cold, wet Tuesday night to watch a league 2 game against somebody like Stevenage for example, with BBM using the same failed tactics and questionable team selection?

I remember those days Northern and it was a time when you could,nt watch a match every night on T.V. as you can today.
1,000 is an outlier I admit but we have a veritable storm of issues coming together and while I understand ATP,s call for balance, the truth is no one knows what the post covid situation will look like
I am in my sixties but I often joked that when I entered the main stand I would be lowering the average age. Its a situation that has been recognised by the club in the past.
So playing devils advocate.....
Sadly some will have passed away naturally or through Covid
Some will have become infirm naturally or through long Covid
Some will be traumatised to the extent they will not wish to be in a crowd
Some and more than the above I suspect, will have suffered economic hardship, either now or in months to come.
Some will have just lost interest or found other things to do.
Some will only have attended for plum draws so we can count a Stevenage fixture out.
Some will have noted the clubs pleading of financial straits and the subsequent actions.
Some will be absolutely sick of the spectacle on offer (myself included) and the subsequent insults to our intelligence in the post match interviews.
Some will just cherry pick games
Some (on Tuesdays) will choose iFollow as a cozy option.
All the above will be in the immediate term. Long term I fear the introduction of young blood to games who go on to become life long supporters has been seriously disrupted.
So we have all these downward pressures against the prospect of BBM,s tedious parody of the beautiful game as a shop window for shipping on "talent" led by a couple of businessmen with a computer programme. What could possibly go wrong?
All the above is conjecture on my part but one thing I do know is that it will have to be one hell of a marketing exercise to get people to commit for a whole season for Lg2 with a season card
Reasons to be cheerfull?
Well there are some mouthwatering derby games in prospect for Lg2 and errr.......
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:45 - Feb 28 with 1598 viewsblackdogblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:32 - Feb 28 by BillyRudd

I remember those days Northern and it was a time when you could,nt watch a match every night on T.V. as you can today.
1,000 is an outlier I admit but we have a veritable storm of issues coming together and while I understand ATP,s call for balance, the truth is no one knows what the post covid situation will look like
I am in my sixties but I often joked that when I entered the main stand I would be lowering the average age. Its a situation that has been recognised by the club in the past.
Some and more than the above I suspect, will have suffered economic hardship, either now or in months to come.
Some will only have attended for plum draws so we can count a Stevenage fixture out.
Some will have noted the clubs pleading of financial straits and the subsequent actions.
Some will be absolutely sick of the spectacle on offer (myself included) and the subsequent insults to our intelligence in the post match interviews.
All the above will be in the immediate term. Long term I fear the introduction of young blood to games who go on to become life long supporters has been seriously disrupted.
So we have all these downward pressures against the prospect of BBM,s tedious parody of the beautiful game as a shop window for shipping on "talent" led by a couple of businessmen with a computer programme. What could possibly go wrong?
All the above is conjecture on my part but one thing I do know is that it will have to be one hell of a marketing exercise to get people to commit for a whole season for Lg2 with a season card
Reasons to be cheerfull?
Well there are some mouthwatering derby games in prospect for Lg2 and errr.......

Great post & more detailed than my thoughts 👍👍

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 23:28 - Feb 28 with 1456 viewsAtThePeake

Reasons to be cheerfull?

An excellent, thought-provoking post that I largely agree with BR. As I said before, worries about decreasing attendances and a low season card take-up are very valid.

I'd like to point out that when I'm calling for 'balance', it's not to defend the club or the manager. It's so that those at the club see that when we are critical, we have good reason to be (as your post shows) and we are not being reactionary or hyperbolic.

Tangled up in blue.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 08:56 - Mar 1 with 1274 viewsBillyRudd

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 23:28 - Feb 28 by AtThePeake

An excellent, thought-provoking post that I largely agree with BR. As I said before, worries about decreasing attendances and a low season card take-up are very valid.

I'd like to point out that when I'm calling for 'balance', it's not to defend the club or the manager. It's so that those at the club see that when we are critical, we have good reason to be (as your post shows) and we are not being reactionary or hyperbolic.

Thanks for the kind words Blackdog and ATP.
I fully understand your position ATP from your postings which are invariably backed up with reason.
Unfortunately I don,t think its unfair to say that football fans in general are among the most fickle things in the Universe. A win on Tuesday and I will be doing the sums to see if we can make the play offs. However Rochdale fans en masse are at the low end of the range of fickleness.
We are generally an accepting bunch but matters on the pitch have now gone on far to long for there to be any surprise at head office, at the ensuing reactions. However you are right of course that cool heads win more arguments than reactions from the heart. Rathbone is no doubt contemplating that in the cold light of day.
It was emblematic to me that BBM referred to him as Ollie In his post match interview. Its all too matey matey for me. I would have expected him to have pointed out that his petulance had let everybody, including himself, down at the worst possible time. Getting sent off for a blood and thunder mistimed tackle is one thing, but that was embarrassingly unprofessional and indicative to me of the atmosphere at the club, where it appears no one is accountable for anything. Of course I could be totally wrong and in private he might have been given a real spanking, but I can,t see it somehow. One thing I was intrigued with on Saturday was O,Connell shooting off the pitch like an arrow at the final whistle. Oh to be a fly on the changing room wall at such times.
Perhaps as a possible positive regarding crowds, maybe there will be irregular attendees from the past that during lock down will have missed the camaraderie of the crowds, and indeed any sort of social activity and attend more often. We are all caged tigers to a degree, although probably a more accurate analogy for me would be a knackered old pit pony awaiting release. Who knows, only time will tell.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 09:11 - Mar 1 with 1247 viewsjudd

Reasons to be cheerfull?

Absolutely bang on the money.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 11:40 - Mar 1 with 1075 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 08:56 - Mar 1 by BillyRudd

Thanks for the kind words Blackdog and ATP.
I fully understand your position ATP from your postings which are invariably backed up with reason.
Unfortunately I don,t think its unfair to say that football fans in general are among the most fickle things in the Universe. A win on Tuesday and I will be doing the sums to see if we can make the play offs. However Rochdale fans en masse are at the low end of the range of fickleness.
We are generally an accepting bunch but matters on the pitch have now gone on far to long for there to be any surprise at head office, at the ensuing reactions. However you are right of course that cool heads win more arguments than reactions from the heart. Rathbone is no doubt contemplating that in the cold light of day.
It was emblematic to me that BBM referred to him as Ollie In his post match interview. Its all too matey matey for me. I would have expected him to have pointed out that his petulance had let everybody, including himself, down at the worst possible time. Getting sent off for a blood and thunder mistimed tackle is one thing, but that was embarrassingly unprofessional and indicative to me of the atmosphere at the club, where it appears no one is accountable for anything. Of course I could be totally wrong and in private he might have been given a real spanking, but I can,t see it somehow. One thing I was intrigued with on Saturday was O,Connell shooting off the pitch like an arrow at the final whistle. Oh to be a fly on the changing room wall at such times.
Perhaps as a possible positive regarding crowds, maybe there will be irregular attendees from the past that during lock down will have missed the camaraderie of the crowds, and indeed any sort of social activity and attend more often. We are all caged tigers to a degree, although probably a more accurate analogy for me would be a knackered old pit pony awaiting release. Who knows, only time will tell.

More insightful stuff

Missed the O'Connell thing after switching off iPlayer the second the final whistle went, but to me it adds to an impression of going through the motions now rather than providing the leadership on the pitch that i'd hoped when he was made captain - and indeed provided early doors

That's not knocking him btw, i actually don't blame him; he's too talented to be involved in the nonsense that we're witnessing and probably can't wait to get away asap

[Post edited 1 Mar 2021 11:42]

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 11:45 - Mar 1 with 1042 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 11:40 - Mar 1 by D_Alien

More insightful stuff

Missed the O'Connell thing after switching off iPlayer the second the final whistle went, but to me it adds to an impression of going through the motions now rather than providing the leadership on the pitch that i'd hoped when he was made captain - and indeed provided early doors

That's not knocking him btw, i actually don't blame him; he's too talented to be involved in the nonsense that we're witnessing and probably can't wait to get away asap

[Post edited 1 Mar 2021 11:42]

Maybe he needed a number two?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 11:50 - Mar 1 with 1024 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 11:45 - Mar 1 by TVOS1907

Maybe he needed a number two?

I'll second that e-motion

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 11:59 - Mar 1 with 1003 viewsCedar_Room

on the specific point of whether this is worse than Eyre's team - I posted on another thread a few weeks ago that Eyre was sacked after a run of four wins out of 21 which Chris Dunphy described as "not acceptable”. BBM has had 3 wins in his last 21 games. 4 wins in the last 25 games.
Eyre only led Rochdale to six wins in 27 games. BBM has won 6 in 31 league games.
Now I would still argue the fall from playoff contenders to next to the bottom of the league under Eyre still makes his tenure worse, and BBM started as managing relegation contenders and has continued on that path for 2 years BUT the stats don't lie and this season BBM's record as manager I'm afraid sits amongst the very worst the club has had in recent decades.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024