Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion 14:10 - Feb 26 with 43987 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/54347/match-preview-rochdal

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 19:33 - Feb 27 with 2001 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 19:11 - Feb 27 by todmordendale

It is embarrassing to watch. I have recently moved to Ireland where Brian’s dad was a massive hero in Irish football. The assessment here is that how can a hero’s son can be so inept.
The tactics of fart arsing around at the back have been our downfall for so long. We are not capable of tippy tappy tripe. Yet despite it being obvious to everyone, BBM has persisted with this for 3 seasons of fighting relegation.
It’s not rocket surgery.
At this level he is clearly out of his depth to think that continuing with the same loosing method in his third season may suddenly change and be successful. It is worrying.
Jimmy Floyd Hassleback has clearly transformed Burton in just a few short weeks.
Persisting with the same old, same old is a big mistake.
It’s not working Barry. Wake up Board. Set him free from his purgatory.

I'd say we are capable of tippy tappy tripe, it's playing tippy tappy proficiently we struggle with. Of course if you thought the Barcelona and Spain teams that played tippy tappy football were tripe.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 19:35 - Feb 27 with 1984 viewsDiddyDave

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 19:24 - Feb 27 by 442Dale

Good management kept us up in 18/19. As manager, BBM put together a solid side that got results. 11 games, 6 wins and 20 points. So once more, let’s not rewrite history to suit an argument. There were very few fans who didn’t have the utmost of praise for the job he did and there was a lot of support for him as manager.

Wouldn’t give Henderson any sort of special credit for knowing what was going on. Quite rightly, he did the right thing for his own career. It was nothing more than that.

Yes, the players pulled finger at the right time of the season, pushing us up to 17th from memory but it was still a desperate season. By no means am I putting the blame squarely on the manager, he can only deal with the tools he`s been given, basically a screwdriver and a wrench trying to fix a huge hole in the dam. It can`t keep happening.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 19:42 - Feb 27 with 1894 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 18:11 - Feb 27 by judd

He’s not called Fritzl, is he?

Fritzl Chris?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 19:45 - Feb 27 with 1859 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 19:35 - Feb 27 by DiddyDave

Yes, the players pulled finger at the right time of the season, pushing us up to 17th from memory but it was still a desperate season. By no means am I putting the blame squarely on the manager, he can only deal with the tools he`s been given, basically a screwdriver and a wrench trying to fix a huge hole in the dam. It can`t keep happening.

It's a complete fallacy that there was something inevitable about our current predicament, and for people to trot out these excuses is just as pitiful as what we've been watching

The simple fact is that BBM's tactics and bullshit have drained the energy, confidence and belief out of the players, whether or not they're good enough for L1, and most of them are

There's little more to be said about him, tbh, except thanks but goodbye

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 19:47 - Feb 27 with 1828 viewsSaxonDale

Whilst there were undoubtedly other mistakes made by BBM I can at least see the reasoning behind him playing Shaunessy up top. We’ve looked at our best this season when we’ve been on the front foot and playing the ball in their final third- think Tuesday showed that we need height for it to stick up there. Beesley, Lund and Vale all being out has limited us in that respect.

What frustrated me today was I thought we almost slept-walked into a losing position. Thought it was obvious in the first 15 minutes of the second half that things weren’t clicking and we needed to change but for whatever reason there seemed a reluctance.

For my sins I am still BBM in, but accept that we may be more likely to lose L1 status in sticking by him.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 19:48 - Feb 27 with 1818 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 18:48 - Feb 27 by James1980

Yep 100% all BBM's fault. Humphrys admitted he doesn't do his stretching routine as often as he should on one of his Vlogs. I expect BBM told him 'don't worry about your stretches Humps' Probably told Ollie to nut the Burton player earlier and Told McNulty to clout that Wigan player in the family jewels and get himself sent off. I am convinced he told Jimmy Ryan to get an injury that would see him sidelined most of the season and well it is definitely BBM's fault the Plymouth keeper took out Beesley and then shortly after returning he got a gash on his ankle that has seen him out for another length period. Oh of course not forgetting Matty Lund doing his ankle in last week.
We have been very unlucky with injuries and I would include the Mclaughlin and McShane in that, they would have been expected to play more games than they have done even with their past issues.
Also performances have not been good enough. I don't care if you're a striker and get put in goal a left back playing CAM and a keeper who gets put up front, you are a profession sportsmen for crying out loud put some effort in.
I think to lay the blame at BBM's feet 100% is lazy and also absolves the players of any blame

So what would you like to happen, James?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 19:55 - Feb 27 with 1730 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 19:14 - Feb 27 by DiddyDave

But this crap`s been coming for the last three or four seasons, has it not? Dunphy`s ridiculous decision to give KH a five year contract, plus a cut to him with transfers and ultimate pay out put the club in a worse financial state than ever. They took the cheap option (had no choice really) in appointing BBM and through more good luck than good management has kept us up, last year`s early cessation after 34 matches certainly helped with us desperately trying to stay out of the bottom three. BBM is still the cheap option and that`s why he`s still around. Hendo knew what was going on, that`s why he engineered his departure, so now the chickens are well and truly coming home to roost.

Henderson knew what Salford could pay him, as per my post last night.

His departure and BBM's management are mutually exclusive.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:03 - Feb 27 with 1683 viewsstandale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 19:33 - Feb 27 by James1980

I'd say we are capable of tippy tappy tripe, it's playing tippy tappy proficiently we struggle with. Of course if you thought the Barcelona and Spain teams that played tippy tappy football were tripe.

but this is the problem james, we don’t have the players good enough to play this way effectively and we never will, to play that kind of football, you have to have the best players technically that can range passes that are weighted correctly, players that can receive a ball and with one touch pass on again another good weighted pass etc.
It’s been said many times before, we’ve been sussed, teams letting us keep possession until we make the inevitable mistake, and BBM’s ability or refusal to change this “philosophy “ has lead us to where we are today.
Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:22 - Feb 27 with 1565 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 19:48 - Feb 27 by TVOS1907

So what would you like to happen, James?

I really don't know. Can we really afford a manager that will get us competing in a relegation battle? Some of us would like to have thought BBM had been there done that with Rochdale and could do it again. At least paying off BBM won't cost as much as paying off Hill did if he does get sacked.

As I have said sacking the manager doesn't guarantee we will stay up it does mean forking out money though.
My other concern is it is positive reinforcement for 'insert name of manager here, OUT' lot. They got a reward after Hill was sacked. If BBM goes it is another reward. Then what if the new person struggles call for their head then the next manager and the next and the next. I just worry about us becoming unstable because we end up constantly changing managers.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:23 - Feb 27 with 1558 viewsSandyman

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 19:27 - Feb 27 by blackdogblue

Complained about the juke box being full tilt when there were about 4 people in & called the place a soon to be youth club...

Will never set foot in the place again..

Curmudgeonly git barred himself
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:26 - Feb 27 with 1536 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:03 - Feb 27 by standale

but this is the problem james, we don’t have the players good enough to play this way effectively and we never will, to play that kind of football, you have to have the best players technically that can range passes that are weighted correctly, players that can receive a ball and with one touch pass on again another good weighted pass etc.
It’s been said many times before, we’ve been sussed, teams letting us keep possession until we make the inevitable mistake, and BBM’s ability or refusal to change this “philosophy “ has lead us to where we are today.

This is what I meant by my analogy. The players are being told they are better than they really are and I think they are starting to see they aren't able to play in the way they have been led to believe they can and this has had a massive demoralising effect.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:29 - Feb 27 with 1520 viewsmacro

I think we are all realistic enough to accept this season was always going to be difficult. That performance though was reprehensible. There's fighting and giving it a good go but today we waved the white flag. If we play like that in the next few weeks then we'll be rock bottom by mid March. Perversely though we'll probably rock up at Hull and win
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:31 - Feb 27 with 1493 viewsFrog

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:22 - Feb 27 by James1980

I really don't know. Can we really afford a manager that will get us competing in a relegation battle? Some of us would like to have thought BBM had been there done that with Rochdale and could do it again. At least paying off BBM won't cost as much as paying off Hill did if he does get sacked.

As I have said sacking the manager doesn't guarantee we will stay up it does mean forking out money though.
My other concern is it is positive reinforcement for 'insert name of manager here, OUT' lot. They got a reward after Hill was sacked. If BBM goes it is another reward. Then what if the new person struggles call for their head then the next manager and the next and the next. I just worry about us becoming unstable because we end up constantly changing managers.

But sticking with him will guarantee we go down.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:37 - Feb 27 with 1452 viewsTVOS1907

But we aren't a club who constantly change managers. Bristol Rovers have had three times as many managers this season as we've had in two years.

I just think you're trying too hard to come up with as many reasons as you can for supporting a stance you've held for a few weeks rather than looking at the true picture.

When I said you were over-thinking things, this is what I meant. Sometimes, not really thinking at all might provide the best answer.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:45 - Feb 27 with 1406 viewsEllDale

I think their first goal summed up how disorganised the team is.
Burton get a long throw, up ambles 6 foot 4 inches Borstwick who finds himself marked by.....Ollie Rathbone.
To a degree I’m not surprised by Ollie’s petulance not long afterwards. He must be getting disheartened by the way the team is setup.
What is most worrying is that the team is drifting steadily towards relegation and no-one in the boardroom or the manager’s office is seemingly concerned.
Did I feel this despondent in 1973/74 or 2011/12?
To a degree yes, but it’s got to the stage now where I actually dread home games. If we were allowed into the ground I suspect that, season ticket or no season ticket, I wouldn’t be going again this season. I can’t honestly see where the next win is going to come from and if we rock up to the next few away games minus Ryan, Lund and Rathbone in midfield then God help us.
There used to be a saying that successful managers had to be lucky. To my mind BBM is lucky.
Lucky to be in a job.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:48 - Feb 27 with 1378 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:37 - Feb 27 by TVOS1907

But we aren't a club who constantly change managers. Bristol Rovers have had three times as many managers this season as we've had in two years.

I just think you're trying too hard to come up with as many reasons as you can for supporting a stance you've held for a few weeks rather than looking at the true picture.

When I said you were over-thinking things, this is what I meant. Sometimes, not really thinking at all might provide the best answer.

What TVOS just said, and as per last evening's posts - have a drink

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:53 - Feb 27 with 1355 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:31 - Feb 27 by Frog

But sticking with him will guarantee we go down.

I bet people were saying we are going to get relegated if we don't sack Hill during the 17/18 season. We don't know what is going to happen. We might have a fully fit squad for the last 10 games of the season. Whilst other teams in the bottom 7 could have their own injury crisis.

Realistically what needs to happen for the calls for BBM to be sacked to stop?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:57 - Feb 27 with 1327 viewsRotherhamDale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:53 - Feb 27 by James1980

I bet people were saying we are going to get relegated if we don't sack Hill during the 17/18 season. We don't know what is going to happen. We might have a fully fit squad for the last 10 games of the season. Whilst other teams in the bottom 7 could have their own injury crisis.

Do you think he should stay or go?

Genuinely interested.

Think I've seen 1 opinion on here so far that he should stay. Everybody else on every platform is BBM out
[Post edited 27 Feb 2021 20:58]

Possession with progression.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:57 - Feb 27 with 1323 viewsFrog

Actually winning a game may help, been thinking that for too long though.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:59 - Feb 27 with 1309 viewsdingdangblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 18:16 - Feb 27 by funkkk

Where are these previous positive performances / results he keeps banging on about? Does he think if he keeps saying it he can change the narrative? Seems to be working on the board tbf...

I suppose today was so dire that it made Tuesday and last Saturday better!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:59 - Feb 27 with 1306 views49thseason

we have landed in the eye of the perfect storm, the squad is inadequate, the manager naïve, The board seems to be in turmoil, the CEO does not seem to have a plan that respects the whole purpose of the club... to win football matches.
Relegation is now nailed on. most of the current squad will leave in the summer, It is unlikely we will have funds to improve and once again will be stuck with kids, loanees and the injury-prone. And i guarantee, no left back.
There is no obvious way to redeem the situation now, the window has been and gone, the manager will not be sacked. and we will start next season back in our comfort zone of L2.
But there will need to be changes, a huge clear out must be on the cards, players and backroom staff alike. We can survive without a fitness this and video marketing that but we NEED a goal scorer and a goal keeper and a left back, a right back and 2 new centre halves and .. and ... and...AND THEREIN IS THE CHALLENGE TO THE BOARD, The kids will need to fight their way into the team not be forced to play when they are patently not ready. This season has been a fiasco. We mustn't blame the Covids, , we haven't measured up to the rest of the League, we have 1 home victory so far. We are not even bothering opposition goalkeepers with shots anymore.
Plucky Rochdale has run out of pluck.

21//22 SQUAD contracted: Morley, Rathbone, Grant, Shaughnessy, Newby, Humphrys, Beesley, Odoh.
Out of contract: O’Connell, McShane, McLaughlin, Done, Lund, Dooley, McNulty, Ryan, Keohane, Lynch , would we want to keep any of these? Possibly Lund and O'Connell?
Is it worth keeping Wade, Chalton, Dunne, Mialkowski , Thomas, Brierley or Bradley?
And then there is the Baah question.........?
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 21:00 - Feb 27 with 1302 views442Dale

Those “manager out” lot don’t really exist at Dale right now though. You’ll always get a few who say it after defeats but there’s no campaign here, it’s a fanbase showing genuine concern, with perhaps the bigger issue being the club actually thinking that their plan/philosophy/setup and explanation of it is enough for fans.

They do not know better, they really don’t and when a fanbase such as ours is feeling this way - with calm, reasoned people who know enough about the game to give their considered opinion - then they would be stupid not to listen and think they know best.

We’re in the middle of a once in a lifetime pandemic, but that doesn’t mean as a football club we all of a sudden start thinking that makes Rochdale AFC any different than it was before. There’s a danger here, irrespective of who the manager is, that we completely lose the identity as a club and with it many people who actually are core to that very identity existing. For what? A pursuit to become some sort of revolutionary business model that changes the game? It’s something that clearly many fans aren’t very interested in pursuing because we were doing fine as it was.

That certainly went off at a tangent, but hopefully the point makes some sense.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 21:06 - Feb 27 with 1259 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 20:37 - Feb 27 by TVOS1907

I know we aren't a club that constantly change managers, if we sack BBM I'm concerned that could be the start of the club installing a revolving door in the managers office.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 21:12 - Feb 27 with 1227 views442Dale

Honestly can’t really remember much in the way of that sort of attitude towards Hill in 17/18. There was a lot of frustration at the way he’d built a squad with an increased budget that wasn’t performing as well as previous ones had, but with the cup run and multiple games in hand it was more that we were in a relegation battle for the first time and we needed to try and get out of it. There were also definite signs that we could do that as Hill changed formation, as well as those all important cup victories which boosted confidence.

There is little comparison to now and it’s something we should try and avoid much in the same way the board/manager/club should avoid talking about the budget in comparison to previous years/other clubs.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 21:13 - Feb 27 with 1200 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Burton Albion on 21:00 - Feb 27 by 442Dale

Those “manager out” lot don’t really exist at Dale right now though. You’ll always get a few who say it after defeats but there’s no campaign here, it’s a fanbase showing genuine concern, with perhaps the bigger issue being the club actually thinking that their plan/philosophy/setup and explanation of it is enough for fans.

They do not know better, they really don’t and when a fanbase such as ours is feeling this way - with calm, reasoned people who know enough about the game to give their considered opinion - then they would be stupid not to listen and think they know best.

We’re in the middle of a once in a lifetime pandemic, but that doesn’t mean as a football club we all of a sudden start thinking that makes Rochdale AFC any different than it was before. There’s a danger here, irrespective of who the manager is, that we completely lose the identity as a club and with it many people who actually are core to that very identity existing. For what? A pursuit to become some sort of revolutionary business model that changes the game? It’s something that clearly many fans aren’t very interested in pursuing because we were doing fine as it was.

That certainly went off at a tangent, but hopefully the point makes some sense.

Agree with that, but by "revolutionary business model" are you referring to the data analytics business or the 'philosophy' with a view to selling on youngsters (rather than just trying to play to our strengths while selling on youngsters)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024