Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) 14:11 - Feb 5 with 22860 viewstraininvain

Looks like I’m all alone on here today as everyone’s gone to Peterborough!

Strong starting 11 balanced with resting some keys players. I’m happy with the team and pleased to see Willock, Barbet, Field and Adomah rested ahead of Middlesbrough.

[Post edited 5 Feb 2022 14:14]
Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 22:31 - Feb 5 with 2505 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 17:44 - Feb 5 by traininvain

Positives from today:

1) no injuries to key players;
2) Barbet, Field and Willock well rested for Wednesday;
3) Chair got some minutes under his belt;
4) no extra time;
5) Errr that’s all I’ve got!

Hendrick was the main positive for me. He was always showing for the ball and was tidy in possession. It's a bit confusing when him and Stefan are paired as they have similar hairstyles.
Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 22:40 - Feb 5 with 2465 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 21:03 - Feb 5 by paulparker

Sorry I don’t get this attitude towards the cup
Give it a go ffs you never what might happen , Christ ive probably got 25 years left on this planet and all I want us to do is win a cup and get into Europe , tossing off games because we have Boro in the week doesn’t really get my juices flowing as a fan

I suspect that it means more to fans than players. Whilst QPR bossed possession they lacked the urgency and creativity required to break down a stubborn defence. Conceding first didn't help as it gave Peterborough something to hold on to. The substitutions, whilst understandable given the forthcoming fixture list, stifled any momentum we had.
Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 10:07 - Feb 6 with 2158 viewsfrancisbowles

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 17:13 - Feb 5 by stainrods_elbow

And there's the rub - ladies and gentlemen - IF we win! Which we may well not. Obviously.

As long as we have fans who are willing to write off FA Cup games by colluding with dodgy management calculations that pulling the likes of Johansen and Chair (who's already had more than a months' holiday at the AFCON), shoe-horning in loans and treating the game as a glorified practice match legitimately service fantasies about league matches that may go one way or another, pro football remains, in large part, a cynical farce, my blood pressure takes another hit and the large contingent who travelled today gets shafted - the last of which I I'm guessing the poster is 'OK with' as well, to his complacent shame. Welcome to the distasteful world of 'managing expectations' (downwards).

Tonight, Warburton, Austin, and a large number of Rs need a massive kick up the arse, but, really, it just makes me and others less likely to bother - only us mugs (sorry, fans) come out with any credit! I'm sure others will be coming out of the woodwork to tell me I'm 'romantic' (for asking for integrity), not living in the real world, and all that crap. In which dreary eventuality, the usual suspects can go f*ck themselves.

Predictable.
Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 11:37 - Feb 6 with 2057 viewsNorthantsHoop

Peterborough didn't have to do much to win this game, 3 shots and 2 goals and defend pretty well. We looked a bit like a superior team who turned up expecting to win and then were just lacklustre. Wallace was a loan figure on the left in 1st half, no Barbet there with him. Thought the subs of Johansen and Chair was a mistake, they were starting to get it going middle of the 2nd half. Another short FA cup run ends with a whimper.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2022 11:40]
Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 12:36 - Feb 6 with 1945 viewsTGRRRSSS

IN an alternate universe we are talking about as Home Cup tie against Man City coming up...

Not too concerned as someone said a away game against a side in our league when we're really focussing elsewhere.

Frustrating to lose again to Peterborough but I guess the 3 points against them later in the season is more important.
Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 12:44 - Feb 6 with 1931 viewsloftus77

No sour grapes - but I really hope Posh get Stoke or Huddersfield away next round.

Not Spurs, Citeh or West Ham.....
Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 12:49 - Feb 6 with 1899 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 12:44 - Feb 6 by loftus77

No sour grapes - but I really hope Posh get Stoke or Huddersfield away next round.

Not Spurs, Citeh or West Ham.....

Hope they get an easy home draw like they got in the fourth round.

Really feel sorry for the 4,000 hardy souls who turned out for this. Wish we'd take cup competitions seriously, particularly when the club is celebrating the 40th anniversary of our cup final appearance. Seems disingenuous to have those features in the programme when we wave the white flag like yesterday.
Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 12:50 - Feb 6 with 1904 viewsdenhamhoop2

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 16:46 - Feb 5 by BklynRanger

I don't think those 3 have been the problem though.

Needs to be collective responsibility definitely but Austin has been quite a bit worse than Gray was in the last round, which is saying something.

Austin was positively Priskinesque yesterday he should only ever be an impact sub nowadays. When he starts games it means we cannot play a pressing game whatsoever. Still QPR had much of the play without quite that cutting edge a scramble leads to first goal gives a very poor side something to defend. Start the second half well unable to grab an equaliser hit on break for second and every sub made the team progressively worse.
I do understand the managements view of Wednesdays game more important and fellow fans who feel the same but will never ever agree. There are 17 league games after Wednesday so a draw or loss then can be made up for in those games once you are out of the cup no do overs. Having seen the draw probably a blessing in disguise because think City's pace and movement would have torn us apart and a home hammering would not have helped future confidence
Login to get fewer ads

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 13:01 - Feb 6 with 1887 viewssupahoopsa

Dodged a bullet losing yesterday after seeing the 5th round draw. Just imagine what Man City would do

Blue & White hooped blood runs through the family

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 16:08 - Feb 6 with 1688 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 13:01 - Feb 6 by supahoopsa

Dodged a bullet losing yesterday after seeing the 5th round draw. Just imagine what Man City would do

Am I the only one that would welcome that it makes yesterdays sad display harder to take.
The cup is different than the league look at how West Ham cruelly won with the last kick of extra time and was probably offside.Chelsea scraped through when their opponents missed a penalty late and Man Utd lost on penalties .
A full house rocking our home pitch playing 11 international superstars we would have nothing to lose IMO.
Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 16:35 - Feb 6 with 1642 viewspaulparker

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 16:08 - Feb 6 by CLAREMAN1995

Am I the only one that would welcome that it makes yesterdays sad display harder to take.
The cup is different than the league look at how West Ham cruelly won with the last kick of extra time and was probably offside.Chelsea scraped through when their opponents missed a penalty late and Man Utd lost on penalties .
A full house rocking our home pitch playing 11 international superstars we would have nothing to lose IMO.

Absolutely
That’s city and Arsenal we could of played this year I honestly question some of our fans who say the cup doesn’t matter

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 16:47 - Feb 6 with 1608 viewsNorthantsHoop

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 13:01 - Feb 6 by supahoopsa

I agree with you, happy to wait to play Man City when we get promoted, because I know I am being negative but if we were to be walloped by an exceptional Man City in an important league run in, may not be good for confidence.
Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 16:59 - Feb 6 with 1562 viewspaulparker

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 16:47 - Feb 6 by NorthantsHoop

I agree with you, happy to wait to play Man City when we get promoted, because I know I am being negative but if we were to be walloped by an exceptional Man City in an important league run in, may not be good for confidence.

Or we could of beat them , took in £700k of gate receipts , and but Willock & chair in the window adding another 2 million to the price tag
We will never know a bit like playing an out of sorts Arsenal in the league cup
Seriously I don’t see the point of the club entering any cups next year

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 17:17 - Feb 6 with 1482 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 16:59 - Feb 6 by paulparker

Or we could of beat them , took in £700k of gate receipts , and but Willock & chair in the window adding another 2 million to the price tag
We will never know a bit like playing an out of sorts Arsenal in the league cup
Seriously I don’t see the point of the club entering any cups next year

I'd usually agree with you, PP. Vigorously.

I'm surprised that I think differently this year, but I do. This is our first promotion drive in a generation. I can see why it's being prioritised.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 17:30 - Feb 6 with 1443 viewsManinBlack

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 16:47 - Feb 6 by NorthantsHoop

I am not sure how losing to Peterborough twice has any less impact on confidence than if City beat us 4-0. City hammer better teams than us and we know we would lose so no shame. However, losing to a team down at the bottom of our league twice is poor. We may have lost by a few against City but Posh are 4-1 up on aggregate at present.

Year after year we sack off the cup because the next game is more important which we then tend to lose anyway. Other clubs at least give it a crack. Forest hope to make the play offs but it hasn't stopped them knocking out Arsenal and now they are stuffing Leicester 4-1 so that will be 7 wins in their last 10. They are continuing their intensity and not dropping to half capacity like we did yesterday and against Rotherham.
Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 17:36 - Feb 6 with 1415 viewsRangersw12

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 17:30 - Feb 6 by ManinBlack

I am not sure how losing to Peterborough twice has any less impact on confidence than if City beat us 4-0. City hammer better teams than us and we know we would lose so no shame. However, losing to a team down at the bottom of our league twice is poor. We may have lost by a few against City but Posh are 4-1 up on aggregate at present.

Year after year we sack off the cup because the next game is more important which we then tend to lose anyway. Other clubs at least give it a crack. Forest hope to make the play offs but it hasn't stopped them knocking out Arsenal and now they are stuffing Leicester 4-1 so that will be 7 wins in their last 10. They are continuing their intensity and not dropping to half capacity like we did yesterday and against Rotherham.

I don't see we sacked off the cup

The team we picked should of been good enough to beat Peterborough but we played poorly and got what we deserved
Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 17:41 - Feb 6 with 1394 viewsslmrstid

I think this talk of sacking off the cups this year is a bit daft...we haven't sacked off either of them.

Firstly, we got through to the 4th Round of the League Cup, and we also got past our first stage of the FA Cup.

The reality is we weren't good enough in the games we played to progress further - but they weren't "sacked off".
Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 19:12 - Feb 6 with 1248 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 16:08 - Feb 6 by CLAREMAN1995

The cup game against Everton showed that on its day this team can compete with the big boys. It's games against the likes of Peterborough and Sunderland where we've struggled.

I'm not suggesting that we would've beaten City but it would've been an interesting to see just how far this team have come and what it can go on to achieve.

Still, it's all immaterial now and our attention is now focused on the league.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2022 19:14]
Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 20:27 - Feb 6 with 1184 viewsManinBlack

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 17:36 - Feb 6 by Rangersw12

I don't see we sacked off the cup

The team we picked should of been good enough to beat Peterborough but we played poorly and got what we deserved

The players didn't put in the same shift as they would in the league. There was nothing wrong with the starting line up but they did not play to the same levels. A lot of teams didn't which is why Kidderminster almost beat West Ham and Chelsea nearly were taken to penalties. Leicester had a strong team out today but only played at half the level they are capable of.

Rather than send out weakened teams, it appears strong teams were sent out but dropping performance levels so much that they looked more like friendlies. Watching Liverpool today, they may have won but they were in third gear, conserving energy for the league/champions league.
Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 20:47 - Feb 6 with 1147 viewskensalriser

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 17:17 - Feb 6 by BrianMcCarthy

I'd usually agree with you, PP. Vigorously.

I'm surprised that I think differently this year, but I do. This is our first promotion drive in a generation. I can see why it's being prioritised.

In a generation? We've been promoted twice in the last 12 years!

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 21:21 - Feb 6 with 1072 viewsslmrstid

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 20:47 - Feb 6 by kensalriser

3 in 18 if you got back to 2003/2004.

So given we average a promotion there every 6 years and its 8 years since our last one...we're overdue one right?
Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 21:35 - Feb 6 with 1022 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 20:47 - Feb 6 by kensalriser

Fair point.
I always think a generation is ten years, for some reason.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 21:46 - Feb 6 with 1004 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

We were like the crapiest yoyo club ever.

We yo yo'd once. Apart from a few weeks at the end of 2011/2012 and a moment in the playoff final in 2014.

Nobody enjoyed it. We lost all the buckets of money we so faithfully filled and ended up with a world record fine.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 16:27 - Feb 7 with 786 viewsPinnerPaul

Will the last one out the door turn off the lights (Peterborough match thread) on 17:00 - Feb 5 by superhoopdownunder

Sorry Pinner Paul - I agree over the top reaction

It's 4am here and I'm annoyed

No need to apologise, good of you to reply.

We all write things in haste, I wouldn't make much sense if I had to post ANYTHING at 4am!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024