Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bromley (H) Match Thread 11:18 - Aug 25 with 15068 viewsHullDale

Bromley (H) Match Thread on 22:05 - Aug 25 with 3854 viewsTrev

Bromley (H) Match Thread on 22:00 - Aug 25 by Shun

Well, a frustrating and disappointing result, but an enjoyable game for the neutral. We really should’ve had that game won with our dominance in the early second half. But Bromley played as perfect a half from a 10-man side as you’re likely to see - camp around their box and soak up pressure, and then counter whenever the opportunity presents itself. Their two best counters led to a goal and a red card.

East looks silky. Conway impressed. I thought Sinclair was really poor apart from the wonder goal, I was surprised with that MotM award. I actually thought John was one of our best players in the first half and created a few decent chances. Mitchell, though, wins my award for one of the worst forward performances I’ve seen, purely for denying us a winner by tapping in Henderson’s goal-bound shot on the line.

The dearth of forward options we have really showed by having 3 defenders on the bench, and having to bring on Afuye, who looks well short of NL-standard so far.

Think you are giving Bromley too much credit. We were streaming forward at 2-1 up, completely unnecessarily, and inviting the counter. It's a game we should see out easily.

I don't think Hendo's shot was going in.

As for Afuye, the less said the better.
Bromley (H) Match Thread on 22:15 - Aug 25 with 3741 viewsrich_dale

Naivety is the word (the word that you heard...) but it's a by-product of the way we're playing. There'll be a lot of games like that this season where we're allowed to have possession against teams with a low block, pickpocket game plan. We badly need to work on situations where we lose the ball and of course the ongoing issue of set pieces. But it's a lot more enjoyable than the last two seasons.
Bromley (H) Match Thread on 22:30 - Aug 25 with 3583 viewsdaleitetilidie

Bromley (H) Match Thread on 22:00 - Aug 25 by Shun

Well, a frustrating and disappointing result, but an enjoyable game for the neutral. We really should’ve had that game won with our dominance in the early second half. But Bromley played as perfect a half from a 10-man side as you’re likely to see - camp around their box and soak up pressure, and then counter whenever the opportunity presents itself. Their two best counters led to a goal and a red card.

East looks silky. Conway impressed. I thought Sinclair was really poor apart from the wonder goal, I was surprised with that MotM award. I actually thought John was one of our best players in the first half and created a few decent chances. Mitchell, though, wins my award for one of the worst forward performances I’ve seen, purely for denying us a winner by tapping in Henderson’s goal-bound shot on the line.

The dearth of forward options we have really showed by having 3 defenders on the bench, and having to bring on Afuye, who looks well short of NL-standard so far.

Agree with most of what you said. John for me isn’t the attacking wing back we’re looking for though. Thought Conway looks a good prospect and what we we’ve been lacking at left back. SAJ isn’t the player for a right wing back either but don’t know who else could play in that position. We left ourselves wide open too often at the back leaving one v one when looking for a third goal. Also looked a bit bereft when Clayton was sent off but good to see East and Gilmour come to the fore. Pretty sure when Rodney gets back we’ll be a different prospect up front. Whether he’ll fit in with the style of play we’re playing at present remains to be seen but he’s got to be better than Mitchell after tonight’s no show. UTD! Back to winning ways on Monday.
Bromley (H) Match Thread on 22:31 - Aug 25 with 3569 viewslove_the_dale

Bromley (H) Match Thread on 19:45 - Aug 25 by cumbria_dale

First time streaming the match tonight - can't see where on the National League TV site I can actually click to watch? Im logged in and I've bought the match pass...

Same here. I registered and subscribed for the match this afternoon, then wrote to them to ask how to get the game on. They simply referred me to the site, but no help whatesoever. I kept trying to get coverage from about 7.15 and each time emailed them to ask for help. Nothing forthcoming. Eventually at about 8.05, managed to get on, but no idea how I did it it - just hit or miss!!
Bromley (H) Match Thread on 22:37 - Aug 25 with 3520 viewsNorthernDale

People call us naive, but it is up to McNulty to decide on the style of play, we played possession football and over passed the ball all through the game, whereas Bromley were more incisive, quicker and did not bugger around with the ball, when attacking. It is an issue that McNulty has not addressed, because we dominated the game, but were far too pedestrian.

What was an additional worry, was how weak our bench was, we had no Rodney, Uchegbulam is injured, Afuye is far to lightweight and seems to be out of his depth at this level. We had McDermott who is better then Afuye, but Big Jim preferred Afuye, why? What worries me, was the absence of Rodney, is Rodney still not fit or what?

The main positives - Max Conway played well, when he came on and looks a good player.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2023 22:49]
Bromley (H) Match Thread on 22:54 - Aug 25 with 3428 viewsTVOS1907

Bromley (H) Match Thread on 22:37 - Aug 25 by NorthernDale

People call us naive, but it is up to McNulty to decide on the style of play, we played possession football and over passed the ball all through the game, whereas Bromley were more incisive, quicker and did not bugger around with the ball, when attacking. It is an issue that McNulty has not addressed, because we dominated the game, but were far too pedestrian.

What was an additional worry, was how weak our bench was, we had no Rodney, Uchegbulam is injured, Afuye is far to lightweight and seems to be out of his depth at this level. We had McDermott who is better then Afuye, but Big Jim preferred Afuye, why? What worries me, was the absence of Rodney, is Rodney still not fit or what?

The main positives - Max Conway played well, when he came on and looks a good player.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2023 22:49]

Rodney is still struggling with illness.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Bromley (H) Match Thread on 23:07 - Aug 25 with 3289 views_Windydale

Great entertainment tonight, no luck during the 2nd half, permanently camped in their box

A draw is disappointing as before the game I expected us to win by a few goals to a team with only a couple of draws

However,

It's just good not to be looking like a team of misfits, defeated and deflated and plodding like over the last few seasons.

Sure we are at our level, but look good for being a top 5 team at least. Although We aren't great defensively against teams coming at us with pace. Nor good at set pieces, Dale players can't jump and score headers, no threat on corners. But we're rebuilding, and we were so close to a 3rd win in 5 games, but for a brilliant save by their keeper and the post saving them a couple of times.

Sinclair deserved his man of match, for the goal and constant battling threat down the left side to create a chance. Sure he shot instead of passing at least three times, but wanted to be involved in everything and get that win, that's the attitude I want to see at Dale.
Conroy was also brilliant in attack linking up with sinclair. You can see he can play winger too with his attacking pace.. Didn't see much defending as it was one way traffic.
Looking forward to York.
Bromley (H) Match Thread on 23:33 - Aug 25 with 3136 viewsSandyman

The midfield three (now 2 for a while) make us look better now than we have for a long time. A shame the defence is still prone to mistakes and the forward line is more interested in tippy tappy to get through a 9 man defence than thinking about having a shot from distance, which, incidentally, got us our second goal.

It's looking better but Big Jim needs to get them to develop a tough winning mentality rather than being impressed with possession stats. Parkin and Hill sides at their best would have massacred Bromley tonight with the old "no fear" attitude. We were too coaching manual up front. Let's see what Big Jim has to say tonight, because that was two points dropped when they were there for the taking.

Nothing but admiration for the 39 Bromley fans who turned up here on a Friday night.. They'll be happier going home with a point than us I guess.
Login to get fewer ads

Bromley (H) Match Thread on 02:14 - Aug 26 with 2901 viewsDaley_Lama

Not good at all.

We created very little until we finally attacked down the middle - pen/red card. Despite this working we decided that passing it out to the wings as naseum was the only way to attack for the rest of the game. Would love to know how many touches Mitchell had today despite us spending lots of the game in their half.

2-1 up against 10 men and to get done twice on the break (goal and red) is awful.

That’s two games (Woking) where collectively we have got it really wrong in the second half.

Credit to Bromley, we played into their hands and they grasped it with both of them.

Poll: DF in or out

Bromley (H) Match Thread on 05:45 - Aug 26 with 2792 viewsfrenzied

Its a point.

7 points from 5 games isn't too bad.

At this stage id guess we are heading for a bottom half finish rather than a top half finish.

Injuries and now a suspension will have a significant effect on such a small squad.

Small progress so far but at least its progress.
Bromley (H) Match Thread on 09:13 - Aug 26 with 2420 viewsAndy_TOPO

As it was a red for preventing a goal scoring opportunity, it should only be a 1 match ban, unless that's another rule change I have missed.
Bromley (H) Match Thread on 09:21 - Aug 26 with 2403 viewsTomRAFC

We're at the point in the season where teams have had the opportunity to scout eachother.

Bromley tried to stop Clayton and Mitchell from being too involved and they mostly succeeded. This did give Sinclair a lot of space and left him as our main outlet going forward. Sometimes he made the most of it and sometimes he didn't, he deserves a lot of credit for his second goal and the sheer amount of running he did.

We really should have put the game to bed when it was 2-1 and they had 10 men. In extra time it felt like they were trying to see out a draw whilst we were still trying for a win. That hasn't been the case for a long time.

Max Conway looked excellent when he came on. Afuye looks way out of his depth. With Rodney and Jes both out, I wonder if we'll see Shubbar get a chance.

There's been some very frustrating results so far this season, but personally I've really enjoyed watching the games. The people booing in the Sandy want to give their heads a wobble.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2023 11:23]

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Bromley (H) Match Thread on 10:02 - Aug 26 with 2280 viewsNorthernDale

If Afuye is getting picked before Shubber, it says a lot about Shubber ability. Listening to McNulty, he said something along the lines that we need to learn to kill games, but when we pass half a dozen times to pass the half way line, yet Bromley get from their goal to our goal in a few passes, reveals our biggest weakness. We have shown that we can dominate games and have a starting eleven that is good, but we need to be more ruthless and incisive.

It sounds like Rodney illness is more serious that first thought, so on Monday I would keep John at fullback, with Conway and Sinclair on the wings, because Conway can play wing back.
Bromley (H) Match Thread on 10:07 - Aug 26 with 2265 viewsEllDale

I spoke to an old chap in the bus station before the game.
“We never win when people expect us to do easily,” he said after years of cynicism! Perhaps he was right.
My first thought halfway through the first half was “were Eastleigh so bad on Saturday” as we had nothing like the space and time allowed in that game. Perhaps it’s worth remembering that Bromley reached the playoffs last season.
Their first first goal was so soft though. The header seemed to go in in slow motion. All from a corner when we gave the ball away in midfield.
Their red card and the penalty changed the game completely but we just couldn’t create the chance for a third goal which would have put them to bed.
Sinclair was the main outlet and looks good but his left foot is his weaker one and he got to the byline on several occasions but overhit or underhit the cross.
Having said that their keeper produced a couple of really good reflex saves and the post got in the way on another occasion.
The good things? East and Gilmour are so good on the ball although the latter always looks knackered! Conway looks comfortable with the ball and will be an asset.
The bad things? Clayton’s red card obviously. He will be sadly missed.
I’m still not sold on Mitchell leading the line and holding the ball up either.
And the lack of options on the bench was frightening.
Bromley looked to use their subs really well but all we had in reserve was Afuye. I hope he learns as the season goes on but he looks out of his depth at the moment.
Bromley (H) Match Thread on 10:14 - Aug 26 with 2231 views442Dale

Bromley (H) Match Thread on 10:02 - Aug 26 by NorthernDale

If Afuye is getting picked before Shubber, it says a lot about Shubber ability. Listening to McNulty, he said something along the lines that we need to learn to kill games, but when we pass half a dozen times to pass the half way line, yet Bromley get from their goal to our goal in a few passes, reveals our biggest weakness. We have shown that we can dominate games and have a starting eleven that is good, but we need to be more ruthless and incisive.

It sounds like Rodney illness is more serious that first thought, so on Monday I would keep John at fullback, with Conway and Sinclair on the wings, because Conway can play wing back.

I’ve been the first to pull us up for unnecessary passing when going direct can be the better option. The manager himself has said numerous times that he sees having different options as the way forward and we’ve scored different types of goals this season because of that.

We don’t pass it too much in our own half at the moment, if anything there’s an argument that the only problem is sometimes getting a shot off around the box is the better choice than another pass - see East’s effort that led to Henderson’s goal last week.

Bromley were able to break because we were camped in their half and we weren’t alert enough to be set up to guard against it. There only option was to break directly, which they did to good effect because we allowed it too easily. Still, we’re playing attractive, attacking football and now need to get the whole “options” thing right, but it’s obvious they’re trying to do that.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Bromley (H) Match Thread on 10:28 - Aug 26 with 2182 viewsTVOS1907

Bromley (H) Match Thread on 10:07 - Aug 26 by EllDale

I spoke to an old chap in the bus station before the game.
“We never win when people expect us to do easily,” he said after years of cynicism! Perhaps he was right.
My first thought halfway through the first half was “were Eastleigh so bad on Saturday” as we had nothing like the space and time allowed in that game. Perhaps it’s worth remembering that Bromley reached the playoffs last season.
Their first first goal was so soft though. The header seemed to go in in slow motion. All from a corner when we gave the ball away in midfield.
Their red card and the penalty changed the game completely but we just couldn’t create the chance for a third goal which would have put them to bed.
Sinclair was the main outlet and looks good but his left foot is his weaker one and he got to the byline on several occasions but overhit or underhit the cross.
Having said that their keeper produced a couple of really good reflex saves and the post got in the way on another occasion.
The good things? East and Gilmour are so good on the ball although the latter always looks knackered! Conway looks comfortable with the ball and will be an asset.
The bad things? Clayton’s red card obviously. He will be sadly missed.
I’m still not sold on Mitchell leading the line and holding the ball up either.
And the lack of options on the bench was frightening.
Bromley looked to use their subs really well but all we had in reserve was Afuye. I hope he learns as the season goes on but he looks out of his depth at the moment.

Who was expecting us to win easily?

Bromley (H) Match Thread on 11:23 - Aug 26 with 2047 viewsEllDale

A fair few fans in the Regal Moon and the bus station en route to the match.
I actually heard people speculating on how many goals were going to be scored.
This is what prompted the comment from the man I quoted.
On another matter entirely TVOS was a really good read as usual last night so credit where credit’s due.
I had never realised, despite being at the game, that Brighton’s goal in Walter Joyce’s first game 50 years ago, had been scored by Barry Bridges so thanks for that nugget of information!
Bromley (H) Match Thread on 12:52 - Aug 26 with 1814 viewsTVOS1907

Bromley (H) Match Thread on 11:23 - Aug 26 by EllDale

A fair few fans in the Regal Moon and the bus station en route to the match.
I actually heard people speculating on how many goals were going to be scored.
This is what prompted the comment from the man I quoted.
On another matter entirely TVOS was a really good read as usual last night so credit where credit’s due.
I had never realised, despite being at the game, that Brighton’s goal in Walter Joyce’s first game 50 years ago, had been scored by Barry Bridges so thanks for that nugget of information!

Any relation to Smithy?

Sounds like the old chap in the bus station heard the same fair few fans, but it's nonsense, of course, because for every time this mythical event happens, we could find other examples when it didn't.

Bromley (H) Match Thread on 13:26 - Aug 26 with 1737 views49thseason

The Rodney situation is a bit worrying, it seems he may É“e out for quite some some time with a viral chest infection. Given the lack of numbers in the squad, the last thing we need is a viral infection running through it... apparently there are lots of people with coughs and sniffles at the moment and earlier in the summer hmpv, Human Metapneumovirus was rampant through the USA..... time to load up on the Vitamin D and Zinc folks, especially after the awful summer we have had.
https://www.lung.org/lung-health-diseases/lung-disease-lookup/human-metapneumovi
Bromley (H) Match Thread on 15:16 - Aug 26 with 1479 viewsEdindale

Having listened to commentary and watched the highlights I was surprised how poor Bromley were as a footballing side who finished in the play offs last year. I agree with BJ we were light years ahead and it could easily of been 5-2.

Once our playing style adapts to teams adopting the low block / counter attacking game we will be fine. Surely these teams must show more ambition when they play us on their patch?

Yes we need to be more clinical but we should fear no team in this league and I am optimistic that with a rub of the green we can make the play offs.

Lets hope the injuries clear up soon.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024