Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Game Off 12:25 - Jan 20 with 24351 viewsDaley_Lama

Waterlogged pitch

Poll: DF in or out

Game Off on 13:44 - Jan 20 with 2496 viewsmeeee

Just seen pictures of the Accrington pitch and it’s like a bowling green, surely the weather hasn’t been that different to ours. Maybe we should ask them for tips
[Post edited 20 Jan 2018 14:55]
Game Off on 13:46 - Jan 20 with 2470 viewsrochdaleriddler

Game Off on 13:42 - Jan 20 by judd

Fool it, a day at the races then

It's a hard life, just play the game (or not)

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Game Off on 13:48 - Jan 20 with 2454 viewsTVOS1907

Game Off on 13:08 - Jan 20 by D_Alien

Difficult to know what to make of this whole situation, but I don't think the word crisis would be too strong a term

It's obviously going to affect our chances of gaining any momentum in the relegation battle. It'll adversely affect how new recruits are integrated into the setup, and be a blow to their morale plus any further signings won't exactly be encouraged if they're aware of how poor our playing surface is

The only recourse, as suggested before, is an emergency relay. Perhaps cancel the Wigan fixture and just go for it, before it's too late

That's a good point about the Wigan fixture; I've just suggested the same to R17, as it would then give us two-and-a-half weeks before the MK Dons game/FA Cup replay.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Game Off on 13:48 - Jan 20 with 2453 viewsrochdaleriddler

Game Off on 13:44 - Jan 20 by meeee

Just seen pictures of the Accrington pitch and it’s like a bowling green, surely the weather hasn’t been that different to ours. Maybe we should ask them for tips

We need to be asking if we can play there

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Game Off on 13:48 - Jan 20 with 2450 viewsTVOS1907

Game Off on 13:17 - Jan 20 by 442Dale

And now they’ve called off the Freddie Mercury tribute planned for after the game.

Could this day get any worse? The disappointment is almost tangible amongst Queen fans, nationwide.

Surely the show must go on...

Edit: Booo, richfoad beat me to it!
[Post edited 20 Jan 2018 13:50]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Game Off on 13:49 - Jan 20 with 2435 viewsnordenblue

They've done well as I worked in Burnley and travelled back through Haslingden this morning and the snow was pretty bad over there
Game Off on 13:51 - Jan 20 with 2412 views49thseason

So, someone thinks its a really good idea to dump tons of sand on the pitch and suddenly the pitch is waterlogged? Is it not the case that previous large amounts of sand have clogged the drains and resulted in countless postponements?
Stupid decision or deliberate?
Game Off on 13:52 - Jan 20 with 2403 viewselectricblue

Its a Scandal that Dale have all these different covers and weed growing lights..

Is somebody going to put the club Under Pressure for answers ........

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Login to get fewer ads

Game Off on 13:54 - Jan 20 with 2373 viewsBigKindo

It will be interesting to see if Hornets pre season friendly can go ahead tomorrow. Up here above Cronkey Common it has sleeted all morning and now it is turning to snow. The expected heavy snow last night never arrived However the footpaths around the Common were lethal under foot with ice at 11-30pm last night. The weather forecasters got it wrong again. My back lawn has drainage and is gradually sloped but it is a quagmire and that without football having been played upon it. Nevertheless I am disappointed that the game was called off and hope that some serious decisions are taken re the pitch in the immediate future.
Game Off on 14:03 - Jan 20 with 2290 viewsdalenumber2

Do those covers we have not provide any protection against the rain/sleet?
Because if it's waterlogged after four hours of light sleet this morning I am very surprised. I am wondering if there are any other reasons that have not been stated for the game being called off.
Game Off on 14:06 - Jan 20 with 2265 views442Dale

Wagg on GMR said he was there when the ref called the game off, he used the phrase “not a chance”

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Game Off on 14:07 - Jan 20 with 2254 viewsdingdangblue

Game Off on 13:13 - Jan 20 by rochdaleriddler

Maybe, but maybe the pitch would have done this whoever tended it

Surely the groundsman should be an expert on pitches, be responsible for how it is laid and maintained. It's now 2 seasons in a row (since our previous groundsman left) that pitches have been awful come the new year.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Game Off on 14:10 - Jan 20 with 2228 viewsDale23years

Game Off on 14:07 - Jan 20 by dingdangblue

Surely the groundsman should be an expert on pitches, be responsible for how it is laid and maintained. It's now 2 seasons in a row (since our previous groundsman left) that pitches have been awful come the new year.

Totally agree,even at start of season the pitch didn't look like we expected it to be.

Come back Oli, Dubai is not a patch on Rochdale

Poll: Renewing your season ticket

Game Off on 14:10 - Jan 20 with 2227 views442Dale

Game Off on 14:07 - Jan 20 by dingdangblue

One of the biggest problems last season was that it never seemed right from the start. It crumbled in pre-season after slide tackles near the Sandy. No expert, but it didn’t appear to be a solid structure.

Game Off on 14:11 - Jan 20 with 2223 views442Dale

Game Off on 14:06 - Jan 20 by 442Dale

Wagg on GMR said he was there when the ref called the game off, he used the phrase “not a chance”

When he arrived “it really was looking the worse for wear”

Couple of corners filled on Matey Bingo too.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2018 14:14]

Game Off on 14:15 - Jan 20 with 2193 viewsBigKindo

Yippee! It has stopped sleeting/snowing. Out with lawnmower. That's this afternoon sorted.
Game Off on 14:15 - Jan 20 with 2190 viewsDaleiLama

Was just about to set off and saw this

Will have to bring Lazing on a Sunday afternoon forward 24 hours then.

This season has been a perfect storm of ill-fortune. It started in the summer with the season ticket fiasco, then there was the pre-season "illness" going round, followed by ill-discipline in games, recruitment that was found wanting on the balance of current evidence, head-scratching formation/tactics, multiple players suffering dips in form and carrying injuries and now we have a pitch which can't even be relied on to get a game on let alone run true.

We have shot ourselves in the foot both on and off the field at seemingly every opportunity. Whichever league we end up in next year, season tickets are going to be a tough sell this summer.

I really hope the club is going to be pro-active in trying to respond to all these issues and communicate what they are trying to achieve to its fanbase. I'm not holding my breath though. The only crumb of comfort is when you hit rock bottom, the only way is up. (I suppose it depends on your definition of rock bottom too).
[Post edited 20 Jan 2018 14:38]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Game Off on 14:19 - Jan 20 with 2158 viewsR17ALE

Game Off on 13:08 - Jan 20 by D_Alien

Difficult to know what to make of this whole situation, but I don't think the word crisis would be too strong a term

It's obviously going to affect our chances of gaining any momentum in the relegation battle. It'll adversely affect how new recruits are integrated into the setup, and be a blow to their morale plus any further signings won't exactly be encouraged if they're aware of how poor our playing surface is

The only recourse, as suggested before, is an emergency relay. Perhaps cancel the Wigan fixture and just go for it, before it's too late

Crisis is definitely the word sadly. I have seen a couple of pictures of the pitch that were texted to me and my reaction was one of horror. Real horror.

I've not seen the pitch looking so sorry for itself since around 2000 - 01 when we had loads of games postponed and even home ties in the AWS away as our pitch was knackered.

What worries me is whether the situation is self-inflicted.

Based on nothing more than the evidence of my own eyes I think....

Mon 1st Jan. We played Blackpool through awful rain. The pitch I thought held up well and I remarked at the time that in years gone by it would have been postponed or abandoned. I was quite encouraged by the pitch that day - more so than by the result!

Tues 9th Jan. We hosted Lincoln in the Checkatrades, losing a scrappy match. It was noticeable that the pitch was cutting up terribly which helped Lincoln's long ball style, but made us completely impotent using our style. I was surprised there was no after match reference to the state of the pitch following the game, but deep down I knew something had badly gone wrong. A bit like Police Chief Brody knowing there's a great white shark out there, I knew our problems had resurfaced.

As in many instances from the past that didn't work then, and therefore won't work now, we just put tonnes of sand on it. Smothered it in sand. But I suspect this wasn't the first error.

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that we allowed the soaking pitch to freeze post-Blackpool. Most people know that when water freezes it expands destroying anything in its way. Most people know that water drains from a pitch via the sward or root. The longer the root, the better the drainage. The roots help make up what I assume is still known as the structure of the pitch with fibre-sand filling the gap between the roots and the drains.

The post - Blackpool freeze will have damaged the roots, and therefore the drainage once the thaw set in. By the Checkatrades game you could see the top few inches of the pitch had become jelly like in texture and was cutting up, bobbling and was generally fooked.

The sand, I presume was to harden the jelly, but with sand comes that benefit, yet also a negative that drainage will suffer further. The sand will also damage grass cover which erodes the root structure.

I don't know if it possible for the club to get a tractor onto the pitch, but I hope they can and get it verti-drained on Monday. They might also need to invest in sand-slitting the pitch which does little for the surface but helps a lot with draining one.

I wouldn't say the answer is to relay the pitch. Far from it. You wouldn't put a new carpet down on shit floor boards for example. And I hope we can utilise our frost covers more effectively going forwards.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Game Off on 14:21 - Jan 20 with 2145 viewsBobbyjoe

Homophone!
Game Off on 14:21 - Jan 20 with 2137 viewsnordenblue

Game Off on 14:15 - Jan 20 by DaleiLama

Was just about to set off and saw this

Will have to bring Lazing on a Sunday afternoon forward 24 hours then.

This season has been a perfect storm of ill-fortune. It started in the summer with the season ticket fiasco, then there was the pre-season "illness" going round, followed by ill-discipline in games, recruitment that was found wanting on the balance of current evidence, head-scratching formation/tactics, multiple players suffering dips in form and carrying injuries and now we have a pitch which can't even be relied on to get a game on let alone run true.

We have shot ourselves in the foot both on and off the field at seemingly every opportunity. Whichever league we end up in next year, season tickets are going to be a tough sell this summer.

I really hope the club is going to be pro-active in trying to respond to all these issues and communicate what they are trying to achieve to its fanbase. I'm not holding my breath though. The only crumb of comfort is when you hit rock bottom, the only way is up. (I suppose it depends on your definition of rock bottom too).
[Post edited 20 Jan 2018 14:38]

You do understand you've just used the words "club" and "pro-active" in the same phrase..... a massive massive mistake.....they somehow managed to miss an open net with the ball placed firmly on the goal line this season,prepare yourself for more of the same spectacular fookups....

#teamrochdale
Game Off on 14:23 - Jan 20 with 2125 viewsChaffRAFC

This post has been edited by an administrator

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Game Off on 14:24 - Jan 20 with 2120 views442Dale

Game Off on 14:19 - Jan 20 by R17ALE

Crisis is definitely the word sadly. I have seen a couple of pictures of the pitch that were texted to me and my reaction was one of horror. Real horror.

I've not seen the pitch looking so sorry for itself since around 2000 - 01 when we had loads of games postponed and even home ties in the AWS away as our pitch was knackered.

What worries me is whether the situation is self-inflicted.

Based on nothing more than the evidence of my own eyes I think....

Mon 1st Jan. We played Blackpool through awful rain. The pitch I thought held up well and I remarked at the time that in years gone by it would have been postponed or abandoned. I was quite encouraged by the pitch that day - more so than by the result!

Tues 9th Jan. We hosted Lincoln in the Checkatrades, losing a scrappy match. It was noticeable that the pitch was cutting up terribly which helped Lincoln's long ball style, but made us completely impotent using our style. I was surprised there was no after match reference to the state of the pitch following the game, but deep down I knew something had badly gone wrong. A bit like Police Chief Brody knowing there's a great white shark out there, I knew our problems had resurfaced.

As in many instances from the past that didn't work then, and therefore won't work now, we just put tonnes of sand on it. Smothered it in sand. But I suspect this wasn't the first error.

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that we allowed the soaking pitch to freeze post-Blackpool. Most people know that when water freezes it expands destroying anything in its way. Most people know that water drains from a pitch via the sward or root. The longer the root, the better the drainage. The roots help make up what I assume is still known as the structure of the pitch with fibre-sand filling the gap between the roots and the drains.

The post - Blackpool freeze will have damaged the roots, and therefore the drainage once the thaw set in. By the Checkatrades game you could see the top few inches of the pitch had become jelly like in texture and was cutting up, bobbling and was generally fooked.

The sand, I presume was to harden the jelly, but with sand comes that benefit, yet also a negative that drainage will suffer further. The sand will also damage grass cover which erodes the root structure.

I don't know if it possible for the club to get a tractor onto the pitch, but I hope they can and get it verti-drained on Monday. They might also need to invest in sand-slitting the pitch which does little for the surface but helps a lot with draining one.

I wouldn't say the answer is to relay the pitch. Far from it. You wouldn't put a new carpet down on shit floor boards for example. And I hope we can utilise our frost covers more effectively going forwards.

Relaying as an option purely because having a new carpet on shit floorboards until summer is better that a carpet full of sand and mud on those same floorboards.

Game Off on 14:25 - Jan 20 with 2115 viewsWalboro

The sooner we move to an new purpose built stadium on kingsway a better modern ground with up to date pitch and facilities we are putting round pegs in square holes on and off the pitch and over a length of time you can only polish a turd for so long yes we will loose the nostalgia but take the hit now before it's too late as we are throwing money away every year.
Game Off on 14:26 - Jan 20 with 2110 viewsChaffRAFC

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Game Off on 14:28 - Jan 20 with 2095 views442Dale

Game Off on 14:26 - Jan 20 by ChaffRAFC

Christ.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024