Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Pitch 19:59 - Jan 22 with 50487 viewskiwidale

This time last year a decision was made to dig up the pitch and lay a new one it seemed at the time a bold move but a proactive one. Today its becoming apparent the pitch is a write off or is it? no communication from the club leads to speculation. Ive only seen the pics you have seen it close up so is it worse than last year? is it worse than it looks or better than it seems? will it be played on again?
[Post edited 22 Jan 2018 20:01]

This is not the time for bickering.

The Pitch on 17:04 - Feb 2 with 4272 viewsEllDale

There have been some years just as wet.
Remember 2000/2001 where we seemed to be playing most Tuesday nights after January? The year of Paul Connor, McCourt and Townson?

And I seem to remember about ten years ago we had a few games called off because of a waterlogged pitch around Christmas? One of them was a game versus Notts County when I was stuck on a bus coming over Blackstone Edge!

Wasn't there an infamous game against Plymouth when the pitch was deemed waterlogged with some of their fans in the ground?
The Pitch on 21:22 - Feb 2 with 4095 viewshammerdale

Seems that Hornets and Dale are getting along better than ever.....................great to see
The Pitch on 21:38 - Feb 2 with 4065 views442Dale

The Pitch on 16:20 - Feb 2 by mikehunt

But we’ve been able to get matches on for the past 50 years of my Dale supporting life, without machines and covers and sh1te. What has altered? Is the rugby?
[Post edited 2 Feb 2018 16:22]

Games are called off now when they'd go ahead in the past. I remember a game v Southend at home in 1986 when we were literally lifting the mud with forks and watching the water drain away as the players were warming up around us. I was 10 at the time and the club/referee/Southend had no problem at all with this situation and the game went ahead on a surface you wouldn't ever see these days.

Actually, thinking about it, the Southend staff that day were really pleased with our efforts and that's something I should have been really proud of.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

The Pitch on 02:13 - Feb 3 with 3898 viewsDiddyDave

The Pitch on 16:20 - Feb 2 by mikehunt

But we’ve been able to get matches on for the past 50 years of my Dale supporting life, without machines and covers and sh1te. What has altered? Is the rugby?
[Post edited 2 Feb 2018 16:22]

Is it Dale?
The Pitch on 07:19 - Feb 3 with 3835 viewsseasidedale

Remember one game v scarborough I think when it rained heavily at 2 pm and ref called it off it was fine before then. When you look at the tuesday night oldham game abandoned after 25 mins
The Pitch on 07:48 - Feb 3 with 3820 viewsColDale

I remember a game from the 80s, think it was Steve taylor’s Second debut. Think it was 2-2 with Swansea or Hereford. The goalmouth were under about three inches of water. Awful conditions but it made more better entertainment.
The Pitch on 09:42 - Feb 3 with 3689 viewsdingdangblue

The Pitch on 07:48 - Feb 3 by ColDale

I remember a game from the 80s, think it was Steve taylor’s Second debut. Think it was 2-2 with Swansea or Hereford. The goalmouth were under about three inches of water. Awful conditions but it made more better entertainment.

Yes Col, I think standards have changed now, I'm not saying they could have played with that huge lake on the pitch last week - but when you look at some of the old footage (Maidstone at home defeat) - I'm not sure they'd play on that today. Everyone is now used to playing on carpets - anything other than that is frowned upon.

[Post edited 3 Feb 2018 10:04]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

The Pitch on 10:06 - Feb 3 with 3640 views100569

The Pitch on 07:48 - Feb 3 by ColDale

Another game played under water was Torquay United. Cannot remember the year but we won 4 or 5 - 0. Torquay that day were just not interested in the conditions.
Login to get fewer ads

The Pitch on 10:10 - Feb 3 with 3629 views442Dale

The Pitch on 10:06 - Feb 3 by 100569

Another game played under water was Torquay United. Cannot remember the year but we won 4 or 5 - 0. Torquay that day were just not interested in the conditions.

December 1985, Moore 2, Taylor 2. Thompson. I think!

The Pitch on 10:47 - Feb 3 with 3568 viewsboromat

Didn't we kick off against Oldham a few years ago on a pitch that was obviously not going to last it led to a goal with the ball getting stuck in a puddle for an on running forward. The game was then postponed before half time?

I may be making this up 😂

Found it
http://rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/4/sport-news/48882/rochdale-v-oldham-a
[Post edited 3 Feb 2018 10:48]

Poll: What are we more excited for?

The Pitch on 11:06 - Feb 3 with 3539 views442Dale

The Pitch on 10:47 - Feb 3 by boromat

Didn't we kick off against Oldham a few years ago on a pitch that was obviously not going to last it led to a goal with the ball getting stuck in a puddle for an on running forward. The game was then postponed before half time?

Found it
http://rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/4/sport-news/48882/rochdale-v-oldham-a

Note the white socks on the infamous Elding picture. Oldham turned up with their full away kit; white shirts, blue shorts and blue socks so we had to change. For the rearranged game they brought the white socks from their home strip

However, any game that is blue/white/blue v white/blue/white enters the realm of an OVERALL CLASH. That’s never good.

Yeah, you really needed to know all that.

The Pitch on 11:23 - Feb 3 with 3484 viewsmingthemerciless

Games were played in the old days that wouldn't have kicked off now. If you look at old games on the Internet the pitches look really ropey around the Feb March time of the season.

I played for TBA in the old days and because it was our own pitch we more or less told the ref we were playing. I can remember one game in particular were there were pools of standing water all over the place.
When the ball landed in one it would sail away in the wind like a galleon.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2018 12:34]
The Pitch on 11:36 - Feb 3 with 3456 viewsD_Alien

The Pitch on 11:23 - Feb 3 by mingthemerciless

Games were played in the old days that wouldn't have kicked off now. If you look at old games on the Internet the pitches look really ropey around the Feb March time of the season.

I played for TBA in the old days and because it was our own pitch we more or less told the ref we were playing. I can remember one game in particular were there were pools of standing water all over the place.
When the ball landed in one it would sail away in the wind like a galleon.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2018 12:34]

Made this same point a few days ago, but with the added factor that pitches, including Dale's, were generally more resilient. They weren't "messed with" i.e. primped and pruned to within an inch of their life, a bit like a tart's hair which then falls out before its time

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

The Pitch on 12:02 - Feb 3 with 3402 viewsEllDale

We had a game against Grimsby postponed on New Years Day in 2005 (?) at halftime because the pitch was completely waterlogged. There was a hell of a lot of confusion after the PA announcement whilst tickets for admission to the rearranged game were found and distributed.
The Pitch on 13:07 - Feb 3 with 3288 viewselectricblue

The Pitch on 13:52 - Feb 2 by BigKindo

Thwaite's Smooth and a kebab perhaps?

Everybody gets 6 pints of thwaites and a tatty pies with mushy peas with gravy if so wish and all turn with your back to the pitch and it would soon dry out...

Mind you the toilets would need to be open for a few accidents..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

The Pitch on 13:18 - Feb 3 with 3273 viewselectricblue

The Pitch on 14:11 - Feb 2 by DaleiLama

Plan B in the background?

Welcome to the pleasure dome......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

The Pitch on 20:25 - Feb 3 with 2946 viewsKenBoon

Having just watched their highlights against Blackpool, Bury's pitch is absolutely shocking too. Nowhere near our standards of shocking mind.
The Pitch on 20:42 - Feb 3 with 2885 viewsfrequency

just watched bury and oldham highlights and both there pitches dont look too good,not far behind ours

Hate city

The Pitch on 21:59 - Feb 3 with 2752 viewsShun

The Pitch on 10:47 - Feb 3 by boromat

Found it

The best thing about that match was that it was abandoned quite early, and we got to go home and watch Gareth Bale of Spurs terrorise Maicon of Inter Milan in one of the best Champions League games I've seen.
The Pitch on 03:59 - Feb 4 with 2531 viewsDiddyDave

The weather forecast on my smart phone says Tuesday will be 2 during the day and -4 at night with snow. Temperatures hovering at freezing during the week as well,so looking dire for the Fleetwood game too. So what`s the chances both games being played,anyone brave enough to hazard a guess?
The Pitch on 08:02 - Feb 4 with 2408 viewsnordenblue

The Pitch on 03:59 - Feb 4 by DiddyDave

The weather forecast on my smart phone says Tuesday will be 2 during the day and -4 at night with snow. Temperatures hovering at freezing during the week as well,so looking dire for the Fleetwood game too. So what`s the chances both games being played,anyone brave enough to hazard a guess?

If as I thought I read somewhere the current tent covering the pitch blows heat under it the temp shouldn't be too much of a problem leading up to the games,that said the low temps certainly won't help i'm guessing
The Pitch on 08:43 - Feb 4 with 2337 viewsDalenet

The Pitch on 08:02 - Feb 4 by nordenblue

If as I thought I read somewhere the current tent covering the pitch blows heat under it the temp shouldn't be too much of a problem leading up to the games,that said the low temps certainly won't help i'm guessing

I guess they need to find a way to prepare the pitch on Monday as best they can then get the tent back on to keep the pitch warm for much of Tuesday. Then get the hot hair covers back on immediately after the game however long it takes. I hope the club have paid for extra help on both Monday and Tuesday to make that happen rather than leave a couple of grounds staff to do it
The Pitch on 08:55 - Feb 4 with 2315 views442Dale

The Pitch on 08:43 - Feb 4 by Dalenet

I guess they need to find a way to prepare the pitch on Monday as best they can then get the tent back on to keep the pitch warm for much of Tuesday. Then get the hot hair covers back on immediately after the game however long it takes. I hope the club have paid for extra help on both Monday and Tuesday to make that happen rather than leave a couple of grounds staff to do it

They can prepare the pitch under the cover, it won’t need removing until a few hours before kick off.

If we win the game, I really hope the club are considering keeping the cover for a longer period even if it ends up costing most of the prize money for a win.

The Pitch on 10:02 - Feb 4 with 3189 viewsDaleiLama

The Pitch on 08:43 - Feb 4 by Dalenet

Use rollers too (RIP Jean Alexander)?

I blame the trust actually. If curry on up the Dale 8 were on Monday night there'd be no worries from a frost on Tuesday.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2018 10:37]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

The Pitch on 10:35 - Feb 4 with 3098 viewsD_Alien

The Pitch on 08:55 - Feb 4 by 442Dale

They can prepare the pitch under the cover, it won’t need removing until a few hours before kick off.

If we win the game, I really hope the club are considering keeping the cover for a longer period even if it ends up costing most of the prize money for a win.

If we beat Millwall, it'd be madness not to keep them until the Spurs game at least

Wonder what the hire costs are?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024