Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Pitch 19:59 - Jan 22 with 50486 viewskiwidale

This time last year a decision was made to dig up the pitch and lay a new one it seemed at the time a bold move but a proactive one. Today its becoming apparent the pitch is a write off or is it? no communication from the club leads to speculation. Ive only seen the pics you have seen it close up so is it worse than last year? is it worse than it looks or better than it seems? will it be played on again?
[Post edited 22 Jan 2018 20:01]

This is not the time for bickering.

The Pitch on 18:18 - Feb 1 with 4808 viewsD_Alien

The Pitch on 18:01 - Feb 1 by JimmyRustler

What about Alan Pardew?

That's a question that'll have rattled around many a boardroom...

Back to the pitch - when I bought my ticket earlier today, I tried to sneek a look at what was going on but it seems the club have placed boards at the groundsman's gate. Prying eyes not welcome, it'd appear

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

The Pitch on 18:26 - Feb 1 with 4768 viewsR17ALE

The Pitch on 18:18 - Feb 1 by D_Alien

That's a question that'll have rattled around many a boardroom...

Back to the pitch - when I bought my ticket earlier today, I tried to sneek a look at what was going on but it seems the club have placed boards at the groundsman's gate. Prying eyes not welcome, it'd appear

I asked earlier if I could go in and have a look but was told, "it's club policy not to let anyone in!"

I think they meant into look at the pitch, otherwise you've wasted money on your ticket!

I suspect the club have been mortified at the odd photo that fans have recently sneaked onto social media including on this thread.

Whilst painting the pitch in a bad light, it has also served to demonstrate the severity of the situation, earning some patience and sympathy amongst many fans.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

The Pitch on 18:41 - Feb 1 with 4722 views442Dale

The Pitch on 18:26 - Feb 1 by R17ALE

I asked earlier if I could go in and have a look but was told, "it's club policy not to let anyone in!"

I think they meant into look at the pitch, otherwise you've wasted money on your ticket!

I suspect the club have been mortified at the odd photo that fans have recently sneaked onto social media including on this thread.

Whilst painting the pitch in a bad light, it has also served to demonstrate the severity of the situation, earning some patience and sympathy amongst many fans.

Not sure anyone could get too annoyed by pictures appearing online when they ignore the fact that rumours on all sorts of things are posted regularly, presumably from sources who are "in the know".

I expect this point to be missed completely by some but, as you say, it's given fans a greater appreciation of how bad things are during a time when there was little else to go off.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

The Pitch on 18:46 - Feb 1 with 4706 views442Dale

Surely conversations have now taken place with a regard to this?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

The Pitch on 18:59 - Feb 1 with 4662 viewsoff2div1

The Pitch on 18:26 - Feb 1 by R17ALE

Painting the pitch that's what they are doing.So it looks lush and green on TV
The Pitch on 19:10 - Feb 1 with 4615 viewsD_Alien

The Pitch on 18:46 - Feb 1 by 442Dale

Happen they'll fit the Hornets lads with drill & fill kit up their arses, to help with the drainage before Tuesday. It looks like they've been practicing already...

The Pitch on 19:21 - Feb 1 with 4581 viewsDaleiLama

The Pitch on 18:06 - Feb 1 by Yorkshire_Dale

Presume we could n't afford to purchase that sort of tech for our own use?

Suspect hiring it is expensive.......just hope we get the job done and we save our own bacon.

If the board are committed to laying an all-singing, all dancing new pitch which is expected to last 5-7 years (?) with good management, perhaps they view this as an unnecessary expense?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

The Pitch on 19:59 - Feb 1 with 4451 viewsNafelad

The Pitch on 18:46 - Feb 1 by 442Dale

Perhaps a conversation along the lines of: the pitch is being worked on to get it ready for the cup replay, can you try it out on Sunday, so we can see if it'll be alright for Tuesday.

Topcat

Login to get fewer ads

The Pitch on 21:46 - Feb 1 with 4312 viewsMoonyDale

The Pitch on 19:59 - Feb 1 by Nafelad

Perhaps a conversation along the lines of: the pitch is being worked on to get it ready for the cup replay, can you try it out on Sunday, so we can see if it'll be alright for Tuesday.

Surely this cannot stand? There's no chance of that pitch being ready by Sunday, I for one will be fkin raging if this game goes ahead......

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

The Pitch on 23:55 - Feb 1 with 4095 viewsdingdangblue

The Pitch on 18:41 - Feb 1 by 442Dale

Not sure anyone could get too annoyed by pictures appearing online when they ignore the fact that rumours on all sorts of things are posted regularly, presumably from sources who are "in the know".

I expect this point to be missed completely by some but, as you say, it's given fans a greater appreciation of how bad things are during a time when there was little else to go off.

They shouldn't be too worried about a few pictures appearing on social media - if we beat Millwall there will be a few million seeing the state of the pitch on national tv.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

The Pitch on 09:17 - Feb 2 with 3839 viewselectricblue

Drove past the ground last night at 9pm and the flood lights where still beaming away..
Going to costa fortune in leccy at this rate.....
[Post edited 2 Feb 2018 12:09]

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

The Pitch on 09:39 - Feb 2 with 3797 viewsD_Alien

The Pitch on 09:17 - Feb 2 by electricblue

Drove past the ground last night at 9pm and the flood lights where still beaming away..
Going to costa fortune in leccy at this rate.....
[Post edited 2 Feb 2018 12:09]

"...flood lights..."

Very good, leccyblue!

The Pitch on 12:29 - Feb 2 with 3595 viewsdingdangblue

Thankfully the pitch is now fully protected...........from the sun! 😆

[Post edited 2 Feb 2018 12:30]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

The Pitch on 12:47 - Feb 2 with 3548 viewsmingthemerciless

Just as the sun comes out on a really good drying day. That's a bit unfortunate.
The Pitch on 12:53 - Feb 2 with 3523 viewsBobbyjoe

Just been inside the ground at the corner of the Sandy and Willbutt's as the gate was open, and no one around. Bottled going having a peek under the covers, though, what with having a baby and dog in tow! Beautiful day for it!
The Pitch on 13:25 - Feb 2 with 3442 viewsjudd

The Pitch on 12:47 - Feb 2 by mingthemerciless

Just as the sun comes out on a really good drying day. That's a bit unfortunate.

The sun at this temperature will not dry a sodden pitch, to be fair.

It's wind that is required.

Poll: What is it to be then?

The Pitch on 13:52 - Feb 2 with 3379 viewsBigKindo

Thwaite's Smooth and a kebab perhaps?
The Pitch on 14:11 - Feb 2 with 3335 viewsDaleiLama

Plan B in the background?

The Pitch on 14:31 - Feb 2 with 3290 viewsNordenBoysLoveGravy

A few points that need highlighting here:

- I think the terminology of ‘drill n fill’ is very much misleading based on the link to the machine earlier in this thread that performs such an operation. All that I am led to believe was/is to happen is that the pitch will be vertidrained (by the same company who laid the turf 12 months ago), and the groundstaff will backfill the holes with kiln dried sand-a much cheaper way of doing the actual ‘drill n fill’ operation and extremely time consuming. With the sheet now inflated on the pitch and the way or slopes off to the touchkines, how this will happen now I don’t know.

- without knowing myself if previous sand used was the ‘wrong’ sand, there’s seems to be a lot of people incorrectly assuming that sand in general will impede drainage-it doesn’t. Most modern pitches are built on a minimum of 70% sand content, and most more than that.

-despite drainage works carried out at various stages and in various areas over the years there has been no significant investment in a full drainage drainage system for the pitch and has very much been done on a sporadic make do and mend as and when needed basis.

-the Head Groundsman went 10 days ago leaving two eager, though very inexperienced, members of staff behind to get through this period guided by an external contractor. The ‘get Oli back’ calls have popped up every so often, the last actual decent pitch at Rochdale was circa 2012/13ish when Oli’s predecessor looked after the pitch, in reality it’s not been great since then despite what the ‘Oli in’ camp may think.

-the misconception that the pitch is relaid every summer is false. It is renovated, and to what level would be determined by different factors (finance and rugby fixtures being the main ones).

-the ‘new fibresand pitch’ the Club say will be put in this summer, if done correctly, will cost around £500k-a ‘new pitch’ is when between 12-18 inches is completely removed and the pitch rebuilt with new drainage and irrigation, a full gravel carpet base, lower level of around 2,500 tonnes of sand to a depth of 8 inches or so topped off with a four inch upper level of fibresand incorporated into a predominantly sand based soil layer. Anything less than this is not a new pitch, and in likelihood won’t hapoen otherwise why wasn’t it done last summer.
The Pitch on 14:50 - Feb 2 with 3246 viewsdingdangblue

The Pitch on 14:31 - Feb 2 by NordenBoysLoveGravy

A few points that need highlighting here:

- I think the terminology of ‘drill n fill’ is very much misleading based on the link to the machine earlier in this thread that performs such an operation. All that I am led to believe was/is to happen is that the pitch will be vertidrained (by the same company who laid the turf 12 months ago), and the groundstaff will backfill the holes with kiln dried sand-a much cheaper way of doing the actual ‘drill n fill’ operation and extremely time consuming. With the sheet now inflated on the pitch and the way or slopes off to the touchkines, how this will happen now I don’t know.

- without knowing myself if previous sand used was the ‘wrong’ sand, there’s seems to be a lot of people incorrectly assuming that sand in general will impede drainage-it doesn’t. Most modern pitches are built on a minimum of 70% sand content, and most more than that.

-despite drainage works carried out at various stages and in various areas over the years there has been no significant investment in a full drainage drainage system for the pitch and has very much been done on a sporadic make do and mend as and when needed basis.

-the Head Groundsman went 10 days ago leaving two eager, though very inexperienced, members of staff behind to get through this period guided by an external contractor. The ‘get Oli back’ calls have popped up every so often, the last actual decent pitch at Rochdale was circa 2012/13ish when Oli’s predecessor looked after the pitch, in reality it’s not been great since then despite what the ‘Oli in’ camp may think.

-the misconception that the pitch is relaid every summer is false. It is renovated, and to what level would be determined by different factors (finance and rugby fixtures being the main ones).

-the ‘new fibresand pitch’ the Club say will be put in this summer, if done correctly, will cost around £500k-a ‘new pitch’ is when between 12-18 inches is completely removed and the pitch rebuilt with new drainage and irrigation, a full gravel carpet base, lower level of around 2,500 tonnes of sand to a depth of 8 inches or so topped off with a four inch upper level of fibresand incorporated into a predominantly sand based soil layer. Anything less than this is not a new pitch, and in likelihood won’t hapoen otherwise why wasn’t it done last summer.

Maybe they'll use something like this? It would certainly fit under the high part of the pitch cover.

The Pitch on 15:03 - Feb 2 with 3212 viewsNordenBoysLoveGravy

Yes, very much an option but as you correctly pointed out only where the highest bit is at its very highest, so not even 50% of the pitch and it’s also worth pointing out that sub zero temperatures are forecast every night next week-bare ground freezes easier than that with grass on it, there’s also a home game on next weekend-most people have (rightly so) been focussed on the Millwall match.

Rugby are due to be on it as well for three out of the next four weekends, the silence regarding potentially moving any of their fixtures should also be a cause for concern.

A new pitch isn’t the be all an end all in regards solving the problem though. Without the right maintenance and resources, particularly with decent machinery and experienced staff currently not in place, then a higher overall figure would be needed. The reality is that unless another Scott Hogan type transfer comes along then what’s really needed won’t happen-this is the reality at all League 1 and 2 clubs, not just Rochdale.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2018 15:06]
The Pitch on 15:11 - Feb 2 with 3163 viewsDaleiLama

The Pitch on 15:13 - Feb 2 with 3147 viewsNordenBoysLoveGravy

As if by magic...!

Good to see common sense prevail.
The Pitch on 16:20 - Feb 2 with 4840 viewsmikehunt

But we’ve been able to get matches on for the past 50 years of my Dale supporting life, without machines and covers and sh1te. What has altered? Is the rugby?
[Post edited 2 Feb 2018 16:22]

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

The Pitch on 16:26 - Feb 2 with 4810 viewsrochdaleriddler

The Pitch on 16:20 - Feb 2 by mikehunt

But we’ve been able to get matches on for the past 50 years of my Dale supporting life, without machines and covers and sh1te. What has altered? Is the rugby?
[Post edited 2 Feb 2018 16:22]

We have had some poor pitches over the years tbf, and many were postponed due to frost, this winter has been v wet

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024