Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bradford match thread 14:03 - Dec 29 with 28561 viewsleedsdale

Inman in for Gillam

Bradford match thread on 10:37 - Dec 30 with 3612 viewsfitzochris

Bradford match thread on 09:14 - Dec 30 by dingdangblue

What's his wage then? Double Calvin's?

R Calvin.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Bradford match thread on 11:00 - Dec 30 with 3509 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Kelvin’s Andrews is going to Lincolns isn’t he?

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Bradford match thread on 11:03 - Dec 30 with 3493 viewsSaxonDale

Can’t remember 2 performances from Calvin as bad as his last 2 cameos. The problem when we play him unfortunately when the balls on the floor he just isn’t good enough, so either the whole team reverts to long balls to him (one of which was successfully headed on to another Dale player yesterday) or we in effect play with one less in attack.

I still do think there’s a role for Calvin in the squad, but it should be closing out games rather than chasing them. That said, if he were to leave cult hero status aside I wouldn’t be too disappointed.
Bradford match thread on 11:22 - Dec 30 with 3429 viewsSaxonDale

Must say as well that Bradford were excellent. Moved the ball quickly and confidently and everyone looked to go forward in possession. Really hassled and harried well too, they should be absolutely fine this season.
Bradford match thread on 12:01 - Dec 30 with 3330 viewsJimmyRustler

Bradford match thread on 11:03 - Dec 30 by SaxonDale

Can’t remember 2 performances from Calvin as bad as his last 2 cameos. The problem when we play him unfortunately when the balls on the floor he just isn’t good enough, so either the whole team reverts to long balls to him (one of which was successfully headed on to another Dale player yesterday) or we in effect play with one less in attack.

I still do think there’s a role for Calvin in the squad, but it should be closing out games rather than chasing them. That said, if he were to leave cult hero status aside I wouldn’t be too disappointed.

That Calvin Andrew has achieved cult status is a joke in itself. Calvin Andrew scores when he wants - he just doesn't want to score very often. He's become a parody of himself. I like the bloke and he tries hard but he's never been good enough for a team with aspirations of finishing in the top half of League 1. I almost choked on my tea last night when I read that Lincoln was a likely destination as they're virtual certs to go up this season. Do they know something we don't?
Bradford match thread on 12:12 - Dec 30 with 3289 views1907

Every single one of those goals is preventable. I shouldn’t have watched them back because I’m just all angry again now.
Bradford match thread on 12:29 - Dec 30 with 3235 viewsDaleiLama

Bradford match thread on 12:12 - Dec 30 by 1907

Every single one of those goals is preventable. I shouldn’t have watched them back because I’m just all angry again now.

I resisted the temptation. There's no point getting older if you don't use some of the wisdom from past mistakes!

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Bradford match thread on 12:29 - Dec 30 with 3228 viewsrochdaleriddler

Bradford match thread on 12:12 - Dec 30 by 1907

IM not going to watch them, it was bad enough in real time yesterday

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Login to get fewer ads

Bradford match thread on 12:48 - Dec 30 with 3168 viewsjonahwhereru

Bradford match thread on 12:01 - Dec 30 by JimmyRustler

That Calvin Andrew has achieved cult status is a joke in itself. Calvin Andrew scores when he wants - he just doesn't want to score very often. He's become a parody of himself. I like the bloke and he tries hard but he's never been good enough for a team with aspirations of finishing in the top half of League 1. I almost choked on my tea last night when I read that Lincoln was a likely destination as they're virtual certs to go up this season. Do they know something we don't?

Cult status is overdoing it. He has always had his detractors, usually people who think that the only reason someone is played in an advanced role is to score goals. However other people value his contribution and can see a place for him in the squad.

He has been popular with large sections of fans at other clubs. I worked with an avid place fan when he sign for us. He was adored and maligned in equal measure there as well. My mate told me Warnock love him because of his impact on the dressing room, getting the side motivated.

Lincoln would make sense for him. They are direct and Rhead can’t have much left in the tank, he’s older than I am!
Bradford match thread on 13:34 - Dec 30 with 3053 viewsrichfoad32

Bradford match thread on 12:48 - Dec 30 by jonahwhereru

Cult status is overdoing it. He has always had his detractors, usually people who think that the only reason someone is played in an advanced role is to score goals. However other people value his contribution and can see a place for him in the squad.

He has been popular with large sections of fans at other clubs. I worked with an avid place fan when he sign for us. He was adored and maligned in equal measure there as well. My mate told me Warnock love him because of his impact on the dressing room, getting the side motivated.

Lincoln would make sense for him. They are direct and Rhead can’t have much left in the tank, he’s older than I am!

I always liken Andrew to a sort of bargain basement Emile Heskey. Heskey was similarly much maligned throughout his whole career for his lack of goals yet he went for millions in transfer fees, top club and international managers picked him on a regular basis and strikers such as Michael Owen said he was easily the best strike partner he ever played alongside. As long as a team is doing well nobody questions their contribution but as soon as they start to struggle then the old 'lack of goals' subject is dragged up again and they're scapegoated. I have a lot of Brighton supporting mates who still remember Calvin's loan period with them fondly, and this is going back some 10+ years so he obviously made an impression.

Maybe it is time for him to move on, at 32 (only two years younger than Rhead!) he can't have too many years left either. Short of Hill having a January replacement in mind though, who will do his job when we need to go more direct? Like the second half at Scunny when we absolutely battered them (with Wilbraham too to be fair), hoofball definitely has its place.
Bradford match thread on 13:44 - Dec 30 with 3011 viewsJimmyRustler

I've said it before and I'll say it again. When a striker's best asset is the contribution he makes in our own box then it's a sorry state of affairs. He's popular for everything but his footballing ability, which is a great reflection on his determination and character but not so much with regards to his effectiveness on his pitch. As I say, I have nothing against the lad but he's a pretty pish footballer. I have no problem with him coming on for the last quarter of an hour or so but he recently signed a new 2 year deal on ÂŁ2k a week (allegedly) and that wage could undoubtedly be better spent elsewhere on a regular starter
Bradford match thread on 14:09 - Dec 30 with 2924 viewsBigDaveMyCock

The fact we were his 12th club at the age of 28 indicates that, for as much people obviously liked him, they nevertheless didn’t like him that much to keep him. I would also argue that much of his popularity derives from a tongue-in-cheek, ‘God loves a trier’, fondness. Which is fine but let’s not kid ourselves it’s for his ability as a player.
If you don’t score goals then you have to be, if you are to play up front, a facilitator of goals for others. He doesn’t do that on anything like a consistent basis either.
His effort ensures that he overachieves given his obvious limitations (a chronic lack of goals and a general lack of impact in the opposition area - which is odd given his stature) and you’ve got to admire that. He is still loved despite not doing the things a forward should really do.
God loves a trier.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2018 14:14]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Bradford match thread on 14:09 - Dec 30 with 2923 viewsKenBoon

Bradford match thread on 09:14 - Dec 30 by smaclad1

Never mind the football, there are some Bradford fans who focus on more important things -

It doesn’t add up for me! Simon Parker in the T&A, ‘A travelling army of 2,507 Bantams fans were in party mood as their team dominated in Lancashire’. https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co...-blog-rochdale-0-bradford-city-3/?ref=mr&l

‘...the whole of this stand can be given to visiting fans increasing the allocation to 3,650.’ Football Groungs Guide. https://www.footballgroundguide.com...ale.html#awhat-is-it-like-for-away-support

There is a brief film in Parker’s Blog at 3.10 which suggests the stand was 90/95% full

So they still fail to understand that when fans stand up you cannot see the empty seats in the stands.
Bradford match thread on 14:32 - Dec 30 with 2860 viewsWindass

Bradford match thread on 21:37 - Dec 29 by DaleiLama

What a depressing thread after a thoroughly depressing performance and a feeling of abject failure. We have gone from a KH ethos of no fear to no idea, no backbone and no bottle in that game. Doubly disappointing after grinding out two wins on the bounce. Keith's got a big job to decide who to play and how to get the team up and motivated for our away trip on the 1st. I don't even know where he starts after that. Woefully bad. Perhaps the only positive to take from it is we surely can't be that bad again? I wonder if CD was expecting it when he said he might stay away for a few games after he's stepped down. Feel like doing that myself, but I'll be willing them on again on the 5th all being well.

Obviously a Bradford fan given that shirt :)
Bradford match thread on 17:08 - Dec 30 with 2571 viewsJames1980

Bradford match thread on 21:37 - Dec 29 by DaleiLama

What a depressing thread after a thoroughly depressing performance and a feeling of abject failure. We have gone from a KH ethos of no fear to no idea, no backbone and no bottle in that game. Doubly disappointing after grinding out two wins on the bounce. Keith's got a big job to decide who to play and how to get the team up and motivated for our away trip on the 1st. I don't even know where he starts after that. Woefully bad. Perhaps the only positive to take from it is we surely can't be that bad again? I wonder if CD was expecting it when he said he might stay away for a few games after he's stepped down. Feel like doing that myself, but I'll be willing them on again on the 5th all being well.

My asking about the value of confidence was to do with part of what you say here DL.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Bradford match thread on 21:07 - Dec 30 with 2311 viewsdingdangblue

Bradford match thread on 10:37 - Dec 30 by fitzochris

R Calvin.

Gets funnier every time

...said no one.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Bradford match thread on 21:10 - Dec 30 with 2299 viewsfitzochris

Bradford match thread on 21:07 - Dec 30 by dingdangblue

Gets funnier every time

...said no one.

R no one.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Bradford match thread on 22:16 - Dec 30 with 2192 viewsdingdangblue

Bradford match thread on 21:10 - Dec 30 by fitzochris

R no one.

Slow news day.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Bradford match thread on 22:31 - Dec 30 with 2164 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Bradford match thread on 14:09 - Dec 30 by BigDaveMyCock

The fact we were his 12th club at the age of 28 indicates that, for as much people obviously liked him, they nevertheless didn’t like him that much to keep him. I would also argue that much of his popularity derives from a tongue-in-cheek, ‘God loves a trier’, fondness. Which is fine but let’s not kid ourselves it’s for his ability as a player.
If you don’t score goals then you have to be, if you are to play up front, a facilitator of goals for others. He doesn’t do that on anything like a consistent basis either.
His effort ensures that he overachieves given his obvious limitations (a chronic lack of goals and a general lack of impact in the opposition area - which is odd given his stature) and you’ve got to admire that. He is still loved despite not doing the things a forward should really do.
God loves a trier.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2018 14:14]

Absolutely agree with all what you said there. Marked you up , but then clumsily negated that by marking you down.

We know he offers great enthusiasm, defends well, but I agree with those that say as a forward he doesn’t make the grade for league 1, as he very rarely scores, or sets up others to score, and most of the time he wins a ball in the air it doesn’t go to our player.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Bradford match thread on 23:11 - Dec 30 with 2081 viewsmikehunt

... so why can't Keef do what he does with every other player and play him out of position, in defence or centre-half? It would sort one of our positions out perfectly, as he is definitely more effective in our box than the opposition's.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Bradford match thread on 23:17 - Dec 30 with 2075 viewsjudd

Bradford match thread on 23:11 - Dec 30 by mikehunt

... so why can't Keef do what he does with every other player and play him out of position, in defence or centre-half? It would sort one of our positions out perfectly, as he is definitely more effective in our box than the opposition's.

Probably only with his head

Poll: What is it to be then?

Bradford match thread on 23:33 - Dec 30 with 2049 viewsShun

Bradford match thread on 23:11 - Dec 30 by mikehunt

He’s better in our box than the opposition’s as he’s excellent at heading the ball. A forward is supposed to be able to head the ball to one of our own players, a defender is generally just expected to head it away. He can head well, he just can’t direct.
Bradford match thread on 15:33 - Dec 31 with 1711 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Bradford match thread on 13:34 - Dec 30 by richfoad32

I always liken Andrew to a sort of bargain basement Emile Heskey. Heskey was similarly much maligned throughout his whole career for his lack of goals yet he went for millions in transfer fees, top club and international managers picked him on a regular basis and strikers such as Michael Owen said he was easily the best strike partner he ever played alongside. As long as a team is doing well nobody questions their contribution but as soon as they start to struggle then the old 'lack of goals' subject is dragged up again and they're scapegoated. I have a lot of Brighton supporting mates who still remember Calvin's loan period with them fondly, and this is going back some 10+ years so he obviously made an impression.

Maybe it is time for him to move on, at 32 (only two years younger than Rhead!) he can't have too many years left either. Short of Hill having a January replacement in mind though, who will do his job when we need to go more direct? Like the second half at Scunny when we absolutely battered them (with Wilbraham too to be fair), hoofball definitely has its place.

But Emile Heskey was a first rate striker who made loads of goals for others, because, unlike Calvin, was able to direct his headers and passes to the right area or players . Also the class of Owen and other strike partners of Heskey, meant that if not quíte in the right place, they could still make use of any stray Heskey passes or headers. Now if someone can provide proof of Calvin actually assisting in goals being scored to a decent level, then fair enough, but in the 120 odd times I have seen him for us, I haven’t witnessed that many goals scored, goals made by him, and the majority of time his passes of his head or feet have in the majority of time gone astray.

Bradford match thread on 15:46 - Dec 31 with 1668 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Just to add, although I don’t rate him, I wouldn’t resort to derogatory terms about him, like some did with George Donnelly.

Bradford match thread on 18:50 - Dec 31 with 1461 viewsjudd

Bradford match thread on 15:46 - Dec 31 by foreverhopefulDale

Just to add, although I don’t rate him, I wouldn’t resort to derogatory terms about him, like some did with George Donnelly.

To be fair, Donnelly was christened Dogshit after he labelled Bury that on Twitter when they beat us in the lower league trophy (Can't remember it's name at the time).

Poll: What is it to be then?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024