Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FIFA World Cup thread. 12:02 - Nov 15 with 126833 viewsSnipper

I’m trying to get excited about this World Cup, but to no avail :-((.

I’ve just watched Sky Sports World Cup preview with Gary Neville, Jamie Redknapp, Jamie Carragher & Karen Carney. Utterly depressing viewing. Same old, same old. Picking players for the starting XI not playing for their clubs, or totally off form.

I’m hoping this thread can get the juices flowing.

Do any of you think England have a chance?
FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:47 - Nov 30 with 1843 viewsdistortR

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:46 - Nov 30 by aston_hoop

Scotland must be wondering how Lyndon Dykes is eligible and this bloke isn't

Ancestors from Fife and Ireland apparently

There's a difference between being eligible to play for Scotland and choosing to play for Scotland.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 01:26 - Dec 1 with 1723 viewsHooparoo

Still can't believe that the Socceroos have made the second round. Very proud today and it just shows you what can be achieved with togetherness, organisation and desire. QPR take note.

To all those people who wrote us off as unworthy to be in the finals - Denmark are ranked 10 in the world and were one of the form teams in qualifying yet have finished bottom of the group with a point. I love the unpredictability of Football and yes, sometimes we are too cocky as a nation but we don't die wondering and we love proving people wrong.

I still think the winner will be England, Brazil or France and it's been great to have so many upsets.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2022 1:27]

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 03:03 - Dec 1 with 1682 viewsSydneyRs

FIFA World Cup thread. on 01:26 - Dec 1 by Hooparoo

Still can't believe that the Socceroos have made the second round. Very proud today and it just shows you what can be achieved with togetherness, organisation and desire. QPR take note.

To all those people who wrote us off as unworthy to be in the finals - Denmark are ranked 10 in the world and were one of the form teams in qualifying yet have finished bottom of the group with a point. I love the unpredictability of Football and yes, sometimes we are too cocky as a nation but we don't die wondering and we love proving people wrong.

I still think the winner will be England, Brazil or France and it's been great to have so many upsets.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2022 1:27]

Genuinely don't know how that happened. Denmark have had a terrible world cup but they were heavy favourites to win this game. Aus are paying $17 to beat Argentina but I think that one will be the end of the road as they have far more attacking threat than either Tunisia or Denmark.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 03:08 - Dec 1 with 1681 viewsSydneyRs

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:59 - Nov 30 by hubble

How jammy are Poland? Absolutely shyte, but they're going through...

An easy last 16 game for France. Poland are woeful and were lucky to win v the Saudis.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 04:05 - Dec 1 with 1658 viewsHooparoo

FIFA World Cup thread. on 03:03 - Dec 1 by SydneyRs

Genuinely don't know how that happened. Denmark have had a terrible world cup but they were heavy favourites to win this game. Aus are paying $17 to beat Argentina but I think that one will be the end of the road as they have far more attacking threat than either Tunisia or Denmark.

Agree mate. Been telling all my non-Football mates why I love the game so much and a few of them have said to me today "I get it now. Completely unpredictable and sometimes the best team doesn't win. Mad.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 05:14 - Dec 1 with 1637 viewsCLAREMAN1995

FIFA World Cup thread. on 19:40 - Nov 30 by DWQPR

If anybody thinks that VAR is fair then check the decision that has given Argentina a penalty. Totally bent decision. And the angles provided do not show that the Polish keeper actually touched the ball first before his hand glanced Messi’s head. Thankfully justice was done with a Messi missing the penalty.

Maybe Pinner Paul can please explain what else can the keeper do to avoid this pathetic decision.Not only did he make another brilliant save but he sprung up and threw himself at the rebound not knowing who was around the ball.If he clattered into his defender ( happens every game ) its play on but when Messi literally ran into his glove its a penalty .
Give me a fcuking break the ref should have never been called over IMO but once he saw it he should have awarded a goal kick or corner but never a PK.
Poland were rubbish thet deserved nothing but that Keeper was incredible fair play to him and he is the reason they are moving on
FIFA World Cup thread. on 05:23 - Dec 1 with 1627 viewsSydneyRs

FIFA World Cup thread. on 04:05 - Dec 1 by Hooparoo

Agree mate. Been telling all my non-Football mates why I love the game so much and a few of them have said to me today "I get it now. Completely unpredictable and sometimes the best team doesn't win. Mad.

That's it. If you dominate a rugby, AFL or cricket game for 80 or 90% of the game, you will be too far ahead on the scoreboard to lose. Often not the case in football, which is what makes it great but also sometimes unbelievably sickening!
FIFA World Cup thread. on 05:43 - Dec 1 with 1614 viewsPlanetHonneywood

FIFA World Cup thread. on 03:08 - Dec 1 by SydneyRs

An easy last 16 game for France. Poland are woeful and were lucky to win v the Saudis.

This could be a turning point in the tournament for France. They rested everyone last night, and if Poland are woeful it might give them an easier ride into the quarters than most.

A rest and a practice match before the last eight won't do les bleus any harm.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Login to get fewer ads

FIFA World Cup thread. on 07:23 - Dec 1 with 1561 viewsSK_hoops

Szczęsny player of the tournament so far for me. Some outstanding saves. Poland would be out without him. Hopefully they go for it against France. Almost certainly going to lose but would be a shame if they put on another performance like last night.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 07:58 - Dec 1 with 1539 viewsdaveB

FIFA World Cup thread. on 05:43 - Dec 1 by PlanetHonneywood

This could be a turning point in the tournament for France. They rested everyone last night, and if Poland are woeful it might give them an easier ride into the quarters than most.

A rest and a practice match before the last eight won't do les bleus any harm.

or they've lost a bit of momentumn. I do think France v Brazil is the likely the final, they have looked the best two sides so far but every team seems to have a few flaws which is why it's so open. A Spain v Brazil quarter final would be good, Portugal got something about them as well
FIFA World Cup thread. on 08:15 - Dec 1 with 1529 viewsPinnerPaul

FIFA World Cup thread. on 05:14 - Dec 1 by CLAREMAN1995

Maybe Pinner Paul can please explain what else can the keeper do to avoid this pathetic decision.Not only did he make another brilliant save but he sprung up and threw himself at the rebound not knowing who was around the ball.If he clattered into his defender ( happens every game ) its play on but when Messi literally ran into his glove its a penalty .
Give me a fcuking break the ref should have never been called over IMO but once he saw it he should have awarded a goal kick or corner but never a PK.
Poland were rubbish thet deserved nothing but that Keeper was incredible fair play to him and he is the reason they are moving on

Not sure anyone can explain that!

Here's the size of the refereeing team - the game has gone mad!

Referee: Danny Makkelie (NED)
Assistant Referee 1: Hessel Steegstra (NED)
Assistant Referee 2: Jan De Vries (NED)
Fourth Official: Said Martinez (HON)
Reserve Assistant Referee: Helpys Raymundo Feliz (DOM)
Video Assistant Referee: Paulus Van Boekel (NED)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Bastian Dankert (GER)
Offside Video Assistant Referee: Kathryn Nesbitt (USA)
Support Video Assistant Referee: Juan Soto (VEN)
Standby Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Anton Shchetinin (AUS)
[Post edited 1 Dec 2022 13:48]
FIFA World Cup thread. on 08:26 - Dec 1 with 1509 viewshubble

Should we beat Seny's Senegal, and that's by no means a given, then England will meet France in the quarters (assuming France beat Poland, which is about 99% likely). Now I actually think England, on current showings in this World Cup, will beat France.

Although France have undoubtedly the best player in the World Cup in Mbappe - and some other excellent players, Rabiot, for example - they still look disjointed to me, whereas as England look far more integrated as a team, with more players at the top of their game. Either way, it will be a fascinating game. Although I'll add that caveat again: should England beat Senegal, because if this World Cup has been anything, then it's been unpredictable.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 08:33 - Dec 1 with 1498 viewstraininvain

FIFA World Cup thread. on 07:58 - Dec 1 by daveB

or they've lost a bit of momentumn. I do think France v Brazil is the likely the final, they have looked the best two sides so far but every team seems to have a few flaws which is why it's so open. A Spain v Brazil quarter final would be good, Portugal got something about them as well

I wouldn’t write off Argentina. Seem to have a knack for starting slowly and building momentum as tournaments progress. And the draw looks relatively kind to them.

I could see Spain beating Brazil if they meet in the quarter final. It’d a great game to watch as a neutral.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 08:51 - Dec 1 with 1474 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Well someone has to say it...nien writenhoffen zee Germans!

I bet they have a specific word of impressive length, consonant inclusion, and guttural sounding to describe it too.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 08:55 - Dec 1 with 1474 viewshubble

FIFA World Cup thread. on 08:51 - Dec 1 by PlanetHonneywood

Well someone has to say it...nien writenhoffen zee Germans!

I bet they have a specific word of impressive length, consonant inclusion, and guttural sounding to describe it too.

Well, they used to use one word to describe themselves that summed it up: Mannschaft. Although they've become so politcally correct that they dropped the word, for fear of seeming "too arrogant" :D

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 09:26 - Dec 1 with 1430 viewsTheChef

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:49 - Nov 30 by traininvain

Argentina slowly growing into this tournament and I fancy them to be there or thereabouts at the end.

They just don't have enough quality. For all their possession last night their final ball and finishing was largely awful. There was a time when most Argentina players were at the top European clubs. Now they're at Brighton and Villa...

So er, yeah, definite shoo-in for the final at least!

See also Germany.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:04 - Dec 1 with 1402 viewstraininvain

FIFA World Cup thread. on 09:26 - Dec 1 by TheChef

They just don't have enough quality. For all their possession last night their final ball and finishing was largely awful. There was a time when most Argentina players were at the top European clubs. Now they're at Brighton and Villa...

So er, yeah, definite shoo-in for the final at least!

See also Germany.

Argentina need to beat Australia and probably Holland to make the semi final. And they have the best playmaker in the tournament in Messi. Alvarez and Martinez are both capable of scoring goals and I fancy they’ll have plenty of opportunities vs Australia.

Germany not dissimilar. Countries like Argentina (four finals in their last five major tournaments) and Germany seem to have a habit for peaking at the right time and being in the mix at the end.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:07 - Dec 1 with 1393 viewsdaveB

FIFA World Cup thread. on 08:33 - Dec 1 by traininvain

I wouldn’t write off Argentina. Seem to have a knack for starting slowly and building momentum as tournaments progress. And the draw looks relatively kind to them.

I could see Spain beating Brazil if they meet in the quarter final. It’d a great game to watch as a neutral.

Yeah they should make the semi final without too many problems. It's very open this year, if it goes to form the quarter final line up could be superb.

At the moment its potentially Holland V Argentina, England v France, Brazil v Spain and Germany v Portugal. I know it probably won't end up like that
FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:14 - Dec 1 with 1376 viewsterryb

FIFA World Cup thread. on 08:15 - Dec 1 by PinnerPaul

They need a viewing room nearly as big as the bench for the substitutes/ team officials!

I did laugh at seeing all the VAR officials wearing their kit.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:31 - Dec 1 with 1337 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

FIFA World Cup thread. on 08:26 - Dec 1 by hubble

Should we beat Seny's Senegal, and that's by no means a given, then England will meet France in the quarters (assuming France beat Poland, which is about 99% likely). Now I actually think England, on current showings in this World Cup, will beat France.

Although France have undoubtedly the best player in the World Cup in Mbappe - and some other excellent players, Rabiot, for example - they still look disjointed to me, whereas as England look far more integrated as a team, with more players at the top of their game. Either way, it will be a fascinating game. Although I'll add that caveat again: should England beat Senegal, because if this World Cup has been anything, then it's been unpredictable.

England remind me of those German sides between 2002 and 2018.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:39 - Dec 1 with 1323 viewsQPR_Hibs

FIFA World Cup thread. on 08:15 - Dec 1 by PinnerPaul

Where is Keith Stroud?

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

FIFA World Cup thread. on 13:45 - Dec 1 with 1203 viewsNorthantsHoop

Fascinating final round of WC games today in groups E and F. Loving this World Cup.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:00 - Dec 1 with 1162 viewsR_from_afar

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:16 - Nov 30 by R_from_afar

OMG that free kick Mexico have just scored! Like a rocket, right in the corner, from way, way out. Stunning

That Mexican free kick I was banging on about:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/63815976

Phenomenal but all in vain from a Mexican perspective.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:09 - Dec 1 with 1969 viewsaston_hoop

Could do with Morocco running away with this in the first half so they're tempted to give minutes to anyone who hasn't played yet. So far so good

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:17 - Dec 1 with 1935 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:09 - Dec 1 by aston_hoop

Could do with Morocco running away with this in the first half so they're tempted to give minutes to anyone who hasn't played yet. So far so good

All I can think about is how tragic it is that Adel never got to set a WC alight.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024