Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FIFA World Cup thread. 12:02 - Nov 15 with 124367 viewsSnipper

I’m trying to get excited about this World Cup, but to no avail :-((.

I’ve just watched Sky Sports World Cup preview with Gary Neville, Jamie Redknapp, Jamie Carragher & Karen Carney. Utterly depressing viewing. Same old, same old. Picking players for the starting XI not playing for their clubs, or totally off form.

I’m hoping this thread can get the juices flowing.

Do any of you think England have a chance?
FIFA World Cup thread. on 19:43 - Dec 13 with 1900 viewskensalriser

Prob not going to pens now...

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:10 - Dec 13 with 1801 viewsLogman

Not sure what the studio pundits are going on about there. Clear pen. You have to go for the ball for a foul to be accidental. The Croatian keeper was nowhere near it. Penalty every day of the week. Even our ref last Sunday would have given it.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:13 - Dec 13 with 1793 viewsStanisgod

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:10 - Dec 13 by Logman

Not sure what the studio pundits are going on about there. Clear pen. You have to go for the ball for a foul to be accidental. The Croatian keeper was nowhere near it. Penalty every day of the week. Even our ref last Sunday would have given it.

From what happened Saturday obviously not!!

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:33 - Dec 13 with 1746 viewsHooparoo

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:13 - Dec 13 by Stanisgod

From what happened Saturday obviously not!!

The Messi w@nkfest rolls on

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:34 - Dec 13 with 1743 viewstraininvain

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:33 - Dec 13 by Hooparoo

Yeah I don’t see what the fuss is all about. Are you not entertained.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2022 20:35]
FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:40 - Dec 13 with 1722 viewsaston_hoop

Sorry to go all low level social media football chat here, but I'm so pleased Messi is having a stormer while Ronaldo cries at home. The Messi-Chair final as it will become know should be a cracker

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:43 - Dec 13 with 1710 viewstraininvain

Messi’s obviously the standout player but Argentina look a very solid team.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:45 - Dec 13 with 1707 viewsKerryE

Can anyone explain why Argentina 2nd goal was allowed as scorer clattered into goalkeeper, before ball crossed the line I think.
Login to get fewer ads

FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:00 - Dec 13 with 1662 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I’m back in the UK and catching my first (hopefully last) match on ITV. The predictability of their comments is staggering. If Messi took a siht at HT, they would say it was the greatest dump ever without sniffing or testing it for density and stiffness.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:06 - Dec 13 with 1637 viewsNed_Kennedys

Croatia are blessed just to be on the same pitch as Messi according to Matterface and his cohorts: that shot from an accutr angle in the 2nd half that the keeper easily saved was the work of a genius according to them. Modric was the crown prince until they realised he’d given the ball away for the 1st goal then hardly mentioned again, apart from when Matterface said it was probably his last World Cup appearance…. apart from the 3rd place play off in a few days Sam.

Genuinely cringeworthy: will obviously ne watching the BBC coverage of the final of course.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:13 - Dec 13 with 1618 viewstraininvain

Argentina have scored 12 goals at this World Cup. Messi has scored five of them plus four assists.

This isn’t a normal World Cup performance, particularly from a 35 year old. It’s not difficult to see why people are singing his praises.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:16 - Dec 13 with 1601 viewsstowmarketrange

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:45 - Dec 13 by KerryE

Can anyone explain why Argentina 2nd goal was allowed as scorer clattered into goalkeeper, before ball crossed the line I think.

He never touched the keeper until the ball was virtually into the net so he certainly didn’t impede him.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:23 - Dec 13 with 1587 viewsMick_S

FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:13 - Dec 13 by traininvain

Argentina have scored 12 goals at this World Cup. Messi has scored five of them plus four assists.

This isn’t a normal World Cup performance, particularly from a 35 year old. It’s not difficult to see why people are singing his praises.

He’s been magnificent and I’d argue that Argentina have grown into the strongest team in the tournament. They couldn’t have done that without him.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:25 - Dec 13 with 1583 viewsStanisgod

Assuming its Argies v Frogs I'll be washing my hair as for me thats a bit like a Chelscum v Pikeys fa cup final, hope they both lose.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:28 - Dec 13 with 1572 viewsdaveB

I thought Messi was brilliant, hope he wins the final on Sunday
FIFA World Cup thread. on 23:25 - Dec 13 with 1439 viewsBrianMcCarthy

First time seeing it, as I was out at training earlier.
Ah, he's just so great to watch.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

FIFA World Cup thread. on 00:06 - Dec 14 with 1401 viewsdaveB

FIFA World Cup thread. on 05:06 - Dec 14 with 1303 viewsPlanetHonneywood

FIFA World Cup thread. on 23:25 - Dec 13 by BrianMcCarthy

First time seeing it, as I was out at training earlier.
Ah, he's just so great to watch.

Hoilett’s cross at Wembley was ten times harder than that! Junior not only had to win the ball back, off the floor I may add, but he had enough presence of mind to use Keogh to complete the pass to Zamora.

That was genius on the cunning Canuck’s part. Fact! And rest assured, if Messi had the audacity to even try what Junior did with aplomb, we’d never hear the end of it from Lee Dixon.Ever!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 09:35 - Dec 14 with 1149 viewsBrianMcCarthy

FIFA World Cup thread. on 05:06 - Dec 14 by PlanetHonneywood

Hoilett’s cross at Wembley was ten times harder than that! Junior not only had to win the ball back, off the floor I may add, but he had enough presence of mind to use Keogh to complete the pass to Zamora.

That was genius on the cunning Canuck’s part. Fact! And rest assured, if Messi had the audacity to even try what Junior did with aplomb, we’d never hear the end of it from Lee Dixon.Ever!

Ya, but that's because Lee Dixon and Messi are partners in a whaling business in Mongolia.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

FIFA World Cup thread. on 09:50 - Dec 14 with 1124 viewshubble

For me, one of the most compelling narratives of this World Cup is what you could call "the battle for the crown of 'the greatest.'"

In the most recent football era, there have been two stand-out players: Messi and Ronaldo. For years now they have vied for that title. But now there's a new kid on the block - the young pretender Mbappe. And the way this battle is playing out is sheer poetry: the first to fall was Ronaldo. The manner of his exit from this World Cup has been vainglorious and surely reflects badly upon his character, exactly as his ignomious exit from Man Utd has done. Ronaldo, with his preening, overweening pride, has lost all claim to the crown.

Now just two remain: Messi and Mbappe. Messi, like the true great that he is, has delivered where it counts most: on the pitch. I have never been a fan, in that churlish way that we football fans often adopt, just because. Just because he's so lauded. Just because he's an irritating little runt. Well that's all in my head. The reality is that he's a football genius. And last night he showed that. He has led Argentina to the World Cup final. What could be more fitting for the mantle of the greatest than this achievement?

Well, if it weren't for one Kylian Mbappe, that would be it. Game over, Messi crowned. But this is where the narrative really gets brilliant. For Mbappe represents not just the shining potential of the next generation of footballers, he represents the incredible shift in global perspective: Mbappe straddles both worlds - the old world of Europe and the even older world, the cradle of humanity: Africa. He is the nexus that has the potential to unite, and I feel that underlying the constant narrative of war and strife that dominates our news feeds, is the greater narrative - particularly apt at this time - that of peace and love. It shimmers as a potential, amidst the curated chaos that we are directed to perceive.

Of course, Mbappe is not quite there yet. France have to overcome an ebullient Morocco, and that is no small task. And the other subplot to this narrative is the rise of the Arab and African nations on the global stage, epitomised by Morroco. For surely football, more than anything else, has the ability to capture global attention and unite people from all backgrounds? And despite all the negative press around the Qatar world cup - much of it deserved of course - there is another side which those who have chosen to boycott the competition have sadly missed out on: inclusivity. You may say it's *merely* a narrative, not a reality, but it is narratives that dictate everything on life, from global politics to personal feelings.

But back to my main point: should Mbappe and France prevail, the stage is set: Messi v Mbappe: the old order versus the new: the battle for the crown.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:22 - Dec 14 with 1101 viewsTheChef

Was a bit concerned we'd have another France v Croatia final, which would be dull.

Looking forward to Argentina v Morocco!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 13:45 - Dec 14 with 1036 viewsDieByYourSide

Just realised Chair will probably get a run out in the 3rd/4th play-off if Morocco lose tonight.

Odds on him getting injured?

Poll: And it's hi ho

FIFA World Cup thread. on 13:59 - Dec 14 with 997 viewsPhildo

FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:11 - Dec 14 with 960 viewsTheChef

FIFA World Cup thread. on 13:59 - Dec 14 by Phildo

This was a really odd discussion - it almost felt like an intended audience wind-up because they didn't really have any other talking points!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:29 - Dec 14 with 909 viewsPinnerPaul

FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:13 - Dec 13 by traininvain

Agree

Don't what kit it is in this country, we love to knock down people - if they are brilliant - Messi, brilliant but have 'flaws', Ronaldo or even not so brilliant - Dykes!

Messi is far and away the best player around at the moment and we can argue this until cows come home, but certainly one of top 5 best players ever.

How anyone can watch the slop we saw on Sunday and then watch yesterday's match and NOT admire the skill, work rate and organisation of both teams with a touch of genius thrown in, and not admire it for what it was - a top top quality match by top top quality players I really don't understand!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024