Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FIFA World Cup thread. 12:02 - Nov 15 with 128510 viewsSnipper

I’m trying to get excited about this World Cup, but to no avail :-((.

I’ve just watched Sky Sports World Cup preview with Gary Neville, Jamie Redknapp, Jamie Carragher & Karen Carney. Utterly depressing viewing. Same old, same old. Picking players for the starting XI not playing for their clubs, or totally off form.

I’m hoping this thread can get the juices flowing.

Do any of you think England have a chance?
FIFA World Cup thread. on 22:56 - Dec 9 with 2255 viewskensalriser

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:38 - Dec 9 by Toast_R

Messi scores a penalty and wow, genius, absolutely no one else could score that, its his tournament its written in the stars, what a genius... a f*cking penalty?

The dude could take a dump in the centre circle and the pundits would spoon it up.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2022 20:41]

It would be a truly special turd with a unique perfume.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 23:16 - Dec 9 with 2217 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I missed the Brazil game but we were watching the second one what a game, gutting for the Dutch I really thought they'd shot Argentina's bolt.

Fair play to the Argies they held it together though the first two Dutch pens were bad, that's the perfect height for a keeper to save if he goes the right way.

I didn't think I would but I've really enjoyed this World cup so far.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

FIFA World Cup thread. on 00:24 - Dec 10 with 2127 viewsCLAREMAN1995

FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:05 - Dec 9 by eastside_r

No chance this ends 11 v 11.

One of the most gutless displays of refeering ever IMO.Argentina did what they wanted and got away scot free .Every ref in the world would have booked Paredes for hammering the ball into the Dutch bench after hacking down their Ake which could have been a straight red .Even Messi was acting like a pr*ck and could have been booked multiple times but got away as usual
They are doing themselves no favors and i was hoping they would fall but they move on .Maybe the old man Modric can take them out
FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:54 - Dec 10 with 1867 viewsjohnhoop

Seems scarcely credible but my wife assures me it’s true. Apparently the South Korean FA had only budgeted for the team’s expenses up to the end of the group stage because they anticipated them going out.
When they got through to the last sixteen there was no money left to pay for meals for the squad so Son paid for it all out of his own pocket!!!
Makes our FA look pretty well organised in comparison.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 12:42 - Dec 10 with 1809 viewsLogman

FIFA World Cup thread. on 00:24 - Dec 10 by CLAREMAN1995

One of the most gutless displays of refeering ever IMO.Argentina did what they wanted and got away scot free .Every ref in the world would have booked Paredes for hammering the ball into the Dutch bench after hacking down their Ake which could have been a straight red .Even Messi was acting like a pr*ck and could have been booked multiple times but got away as usual
They are doing themselves no favors and i was hoping they would fall but they move on .Maybe the old man Modric can take them out

I can't agree with that. If it had been a Championship referee in charge of that game all hell would have broken out while he would have been wagging a finger at the perpetrators from 35 yards.

The ref booked 13 players. He did book Paredes for slamming the ball into the Dutch dug-out and he did the best he could when the Argentinian players and bench tried to take matters into their own hands.

It really annoyed me when Jonathan Pearce criticised him for showing 13 cards. Like I say, if that had been a Championship referee he would have been pointing at his watch for time-wasting while both sets of players were wading into each other.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 13:18 - Dec 10 with 1763 viewsdistortR

FIFA World Cup thread. on 12:42 - Dec 10 by Logman

I can't agree with that. If it had been a Championship referee in charge of that game all hell would have broken out while he would have been wagging a finger at the perpetrators from 35 yards.

The ref booked 13 players. He did book Paredes for slamming the ball into the Dutch dug-out and he did the best he could when the Argentinian players and bench tried to take matters into their own hands.

It really annoyed me when Jonathan Pearce criticised him for showing 13 cards. Like I say, if that had been a Championship referee he would have been pointing at his watch for time-wasting while both sets of players were wading into each other.

He managed to show 17 yellows and a red without ever looking in control, and was wildly inconsistent on penalising offenses. Looked very championship to me.
Thoroughly enjoyed it!
FIFA World Cup thread. on 13:25 - Dec 10 with 1751 viewsOldPedro

FIFA World Cup thread. on 13:18 - Dec 10 by distortR

He managed to show 17 yellows and a red without ever looking in control, and was wildly inconsistent on penalising offenses. Looked very championship to me.
Thoroughly enjoyed it!

I thought the referee was very Keith Stroud like - the reason for all the yellows was because he lost control of the game.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

FIFA World Cup thread. on 13:49 - Dec 10 with 1719 viewsPinnerPaul

FIFA World Cup thread. on 12:42 - Dec 10 by Logman

Yep spot on.

Couple of examples from JP and Keown.

After that foul and player slamming the ball into the subs and they all rush on - who has "lost control" there? erm, obviously the ref, according to JP. Not sure what he can do about that?

Later yellow for a pretty bad foul - "Not even sure that's a foul" says Keown, Hmmm, murmurs JP approvingly. "I'd have to see it again" says Martin - not like the referee eh?

AFTER seeing it again, MK and JP conclude the referee was absolutely correct, it WAS a foul, it WAS a yellow card.

He cautioned a sub, he cautioned a coach, not sure what else the ref was supposed to do.
Login to get fewer ads

FIFA World Cup thread. on 13:50 - Dec 10 with 1712 viewsPinnerPaul

FIFA World Cup thread. on 13:25 - Dec 10 by OldPedro

I thought the referee was very Keith Stroud like - the reason for all the yellows was because he lost control of the game.

Sooooooooooooo hoe does he regain control, more cards or less?
FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:58 - Dec 10 with 1627 viewsPlanetHonneywood

90 minutes minimum of waiting for Chair to get on and the TV cameras zooming in on Ronaldo every time something happens.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:02 - Dec 10 with 1617 viewsCLAREMAN1995

FIFA World Cup thread. on 13:49 - Dec 10 by PinnerPaul

Yep spot on.

After that foul and player slamming the ball into the subs and they all rush on - who has "lost control" there? erm, obviously the ref, according to JP. Not sure what he can do about that?

Later yellow for a pretty bad foul - "Not even sure that's a foul" says Keown, Hmmm, murmurs JP approvingly. "I'd have to see it again" says Martin - not like the referee eh?

AFTER seeing it again, MK and JP conclude the referee was absolutely correct, it WAS a foul, it WAS a yellow card.

He cautioned a sub, he cautioned a coach, not sure what else the ref was supposed to do.

Are you saying he booked Parades for slamming the ball into the bench then PinnerPaul but let his tackle on Ake go with just a free kick .
Enough said then because if that was not a clear yellow I just give up.Followed by a pretty dangerous act of dissent.If that ball had hit someone in the face it was going to snap a neck.
I know you are a ref and very respected poster but you must know he should have been sent off there .
Argentina were the darlings because of the dream senario of Messi winning his WC and retiring to Miami but they ruined that by their horrible gamesmanship IMO
FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:25 - Dec 10 with 1570 viewseastside_r

I think that the keeper Bono might give Morocco the Edge.

I have just got both my coats.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:30 - Dec 10 with 1556 viewskensalriser

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:25 - Dec 10 by eastside_r

I think that the keeper Bono might give Morocco the Edge.

I have just got both my coats.

You too?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:46 - Dec 10 with 1515 viewsLogman

FIFA World Cup thread. on 13:49 - Dec 10 by PinnerPaul

Yep spot on.

Agreed 100%. Pearce just jumping on the 'let's berate the ref' bandwagon. Pathetic and as you say, inaccurate in that his yellow card decisions were correct. The ref did well, Pearce should have been criticising the players and the antics rather than decrying the referee. I hope he is on his way home from Qatar now.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:02 - Dec 10 with 1449 viewsjohnhoop

FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:58 - Dec 10 by PlanetHonneywood

90 minutes minimum of waiting for Chair to get on and the TV cameras zooming in on Ronaldo every time something happens.

On the evidence so far I think there’s more chance of them bringing the sub keepers on for an outfield substitution than Ilias.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2022 16:39]
FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:23 - Dec 10 with 1373 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:02 - Dec 10 by johnhoop

On the evidence so far I think there’s more chance of them bringing the sub keepers on for an outfield substitution than Ilias.

If Portugal score a couple of goals and it’s still 2-1 with 10 mins to go we might see Chair come on. I don’t really see why you would bring him on as a sub in this situation.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:38 - Dec 10 with 1323 viewstraininvain

Anyone else just waiting for Ronaldo to score here. Hope I’m wrong but can feel it coming.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2022 16:40]
FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:43 - Dec 10 with 1294 viewsNushnool

FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:02 - Dec 10 by johnhoop

I think they’re saving him as a secret weapon for the final.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:44 - Dec 10 with 2430 viewsOldPedro

FIFA World Cup thread. on 13:50 - Dec 10 by PinnerPaul

Sooooooooooooo hoe does he regain control, more cards or less?

I agree that the players have to be better but the ref had no control -and no respect from the players. Should have booked Messi for deliberate hand ball and should have sent the Argentina player off for the wild foul - even if he thinks this is only a yellow, the kicking the ball at the bench should have been a 2nd yellow.

As I said, he reminded me of Keith Stroud and how many of his games end up in multiple bookings and a free for all

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:57 - Dec 10 with 2357 viewsR_from_afar

Amazing, well done Morocco
[Post edited 12 Dec 2022 15:34]

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:58 - Dec 10 with 2338 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Ah I get it now, they’re saving Chair for the final.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:58 - Dec 10 with 2325 viewspaulparker

Ronaldo now faking tears , what a Michael Hunt he is

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:01 - Dec 10 with 2294 viewsMichael_Hunt

FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:58 - Dec 10 by paulparker

Ronaldo now faking tears , what a Michael Hunt he is

D’you mind! 🤬
FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:01 - Dec 10 with 2294 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Well done Morocco. However, is it me or do the European teams seem to have forgotten that you win games by scoring goals?
Apart from Kane no others seem to have an old fashioned striker to be a focal point to create chances. They seem obsessed with bloody possession.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:02 - Dec 10 with 2280 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Bloody bleeding blimey!!!

Alhamdillah Morocco, absolutely brilliant stuff.

Can't help thinking it really is now or never for England!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024