Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FIFA World Cup thread. 12:02 - Nov 15 with 124365 viewsSnipper

I’m trying to get excited about this World Cup, but to no avail :-((.

I’ve just watched Sky Sports World Cup preview with Gary Neville, Jamie Redknapp, Jamie Carragher & Karen Carney. Utterly depressing viewing. Same old, same old. Picking players for the starting XI not playing for their clubs, or totally off form.

I’m hoping this thread can get the juices flowing.

Do any of you think England have a chance?
FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:56 - Dec 14 with 1461 viewsManinBlack

So for all the upsets along the way we still end up with two familiar countries in the final and ultimately a familiar winner of tournament football.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:05 - Dec 14 with 1410 viewsToast_R

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:56 - Dec 14 by ManinBlack

So for all the upsets along the way we still end up with two familiar countries in the final and ultimately a familiar winner of tournament football.

Should be a good final I guess. I'm not that fussed who wins, like most world cup finals it comes down to who do I dislike less?

England should have won this tournament.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:11 - Dec 14 with 1394 viewsChrisNW6

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:46 - Dec 14 by connell10

Can't see it mate , obviously the boss don't rate him . Pointless him being there apart from the money we got from it I suppose.

I think the player would argue differently, what an experience for the lad. Be very surprised if he doesn't start the 3rd place game and he has a chance to display his talents to a massive audience. This has put Moroccan football on the map and potentially add value to future transfer fees.

He will come back a more mature player and can only have benefited in a positive way.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:14 - Dec 14 with 1387 viewsMick_S

FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:05 - Dec 14 by Toast_R

Should be a good final I guess. I'm not that fussed who wins, like most world cup finals it comes down to who do I dislike less?

Same here. One of my sons’ asked me who I want, and my answer, when I do not really care, is that whichever team starts with the snide and narky stuff can do one. I’d probably edge with France, but the Messi thing is something else. If he chins someone I’ll take the dog out.

I don’t know. It would have been Morocco all day.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:21 - Dec 14 with 1366 viewsdaveB

I hope Argentina win it for Messi but think the French will win. You can see whYySouthgate sets up as he does when you see how France go about things and get to finals. Very dull and hard to beat but with some explosive players in attack who will always win you games. Griezzmann was superb again tonight though
FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:22 - Dec 14 with 1359 viewspaulparker

2 of the most luckiest and detestable teams in the competition
Both don’t deserve to be there as both have had corrupt referees all through the tournament giving them favours , well FIFA get their dream final of Messi vs Mpape
For me this goes down as the worst World Cup in history and pretty much ends most of my interest in football anymore

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

FIFA World Cup thread. on 22:18 - Dec 14 with 1290 viewsdaveB

FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:22 - Dec 14 by paulparker

Both don’t deserve to be there as both have had corrupt referees all through the tournament giving them favours , well FIFA get their dream final of Messi vs Mpape
For me this goes down as the worst World Cup in history and pretty much ends most of my interest in football anymore

I think it's been a pretty good world cup, some really good games, a few shocks and hopefully a good final. I hope we never have another winter one though
FIFA World Cup thread. on 01:48 - Dec 15 with 1209 viewsNed_Kennedys

A proactive manager may have won it for England: under Southgate absolutely no chance.
If he stays then lump on for a plucky run to the semis of Euro 2024.
Login to get fewer ads

FIFA World Cup thread. on 05:46 - Dec 15 with 1147 viewsPlanetHonneywood

FIFA World Cup thread. on 22:18 - Dec 14 by daveB

I think it's been a pretty good world cup, some really good games, a few shocks and hopefully a good final. I hope we never have another winter one though

The answer to that my friend will be how much money was made?

You can expect Saudi and Emerati noses to have been put well out of joint and over the course of the next ten years, that part of the world will be awarded an Olympics and another WC. Just look at F1, golf and boxing have moved there.

As for the final, I wouldn’t be surprised if the final was a cautious affair, with the teams overly cautious of the other. Not too bothered who wins.

Having watched excellent decision making from Deschamps in the final 20 minutes last night, I’m in the camp that wonders if the full potential of England will be realised under GS. That France game was there for the taking and thinking Sterling and Mount were the men to do it, was odd. Whomever is England manager for the start of the Euros campaign, needs to be able to better harness the creativity threat posed by Foden and Maddison. I’d also like them to better use Grealish than 80 seconds of a losing match and see if Eze is worth a look.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 07:13 - Dec 15 with 1090 viewsdistortR

FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:22 - Dec 14 by paulparker

I'll put you down as a 'maybe'.....
[Post edited 15 Dec 2022 7:14]
FIFA World Cup thread. on 07:17 - Dec 15 with 1081 viewstraininvain

FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:21 - Dec 14 by daveB

I hope Argentina win it for Messi but think the French will win. You can see whYySouthgate sets up as he does when you see how France go about things and get to finals. Very dull and hard to beat but with some explosive players in attack who will always win you games. Griezzmann was superb again tonight though

I thought the same re England/Southgate watching the semi finals. Argentina and France both won with possession at 39%. They were happy to sit back, defend and pick off Croatia/Morocco on the break.

That’s international football at the highest level. I’ve said it before but show me this mythical World Cup or euros winning team that plays ultra attacking football. It just doesn’t happen.

I wonder if Southgate regrets not sticking to his principles and buckling to public pressure to play more on the front foot vs France. Perhaps why he’s considering his position.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2022 7:20]
FIFA World Cup thread. on 07:21 - Dec 15 with 1075 viewsdistortR

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:55 - Dec 14 by Ranger_Things

How the fck did that not go in? Have to say Morocco would have smashed England to bits.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2022 20:55]

Ah, you didn't 'have to say' that, you were just on a little fishing trip.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 07:25 - Dec 15 with 1068 viewsdistortR

FIFA World Cup thread. on 07:17 - Dec 15 by traininvain

I thought the same re England/Southgate watching the semi finals. Argentina and France both won with possession at 39%. They were happy to sit back, defend and pick off Croatia/Morocco on the break.

That’s international football at the highest level. I’ve said it before but show me this mythical World Cup or euros winning team that plays ultra attacking football. It just doesn’t happen.

I wonder if Southgate regrets not sticking to his principles and buckling to public pressure to play more on the front foot vs France. Perhaps why he’s considering his position.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2022 7:20]

Or maybe he knows he doesn't quite know how to change a game at the highest level. We watched Holland go all in and throw on the big boys against Argentina to snatch a draw, and I don't think Southgate would be doing that as he would be too worried about the team structure if they did equalise.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 07:57 - Dec 15 with 1030 viewstraininvain

FIFA World Cup thread. on 07:25 - Dec 15 by distortR

Or maybe he knows he doesn't quite know how to change a game at the highest level. We watched Holland go all in and throw on the big boys against Argentina to snatch a draw, and I don't think Southgate would be doing that as he would be too worried about the team structure if they did equalise.

Possibly. I thought Southgate was a bit unlucky vs France. If Kane scores the second penalty and England go on to win then people would be congratulating him for bringing Mount on to win the penalty with his pressing. Such fine margins.

Holland were forced to go direct vs Argentina due to Van Gaal’s overly negative tactics and they still lost. I don’t think we can accuse Southgate of being too negative vs France. But the way the game played out didn’t help. England were on top during the second half at 1-1 until France got a late goal which made it difficult for Southgate to make changes as who do you take off while we’re on top without disrupting the balance.

For what it’s worth, I would agree that once England went behind his changes could’ve been better but one of his subs did win a penalty. I didn’t agree with replacing Saka as France couldn’t handle him. Rashford and Sterling vs a deep French defence was also a bit strange. Could’ve done with the guile of Grealish or Maddison. But again, if Kane scores the second penalty we might not be having this conversation and not much Southgate can do about that moment.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 08:10 - Dec 15 with 1015 viewsdaveB

FIFA World Cup thread. on 05:46 - Dec 15 by PlanetHonneywood

The answer to that my friend will be how much money was made?

You can expect Saudi and Emerati noses to have been put well out of joint and over the course of the next ten years, that part of the world will be awarded an Olympics and another WC. Just look at F1, golf and boxing have moved there.

As for the final, I wouldn’t be surprised if the final was a cautious affair, with the teams overly cautious of the other. Not too bothered who wins.

Having watched excellent decision making from Deschamps in the final 20 minutes last night, I’m in the camp that wonders if the full potential of England will be realised under GS. That France game was there for the taking and thinking Sterling and Mount were the men to do it, was odd. Whomever is England manager for the start of the Euros campaign, needs to be able to better harness the creativity threat posed by Foden and Maddison. I’d also like them to better use Grealish than 80 seconds of a losing match and see if Eze is worth a look.

It does seem that in the big games when the tide starts to turn he's not able to wrestle it back although last weekend if Kane scored that penalty we may have felt differently. Who knows.

The Grealish change was only due to Stones being injured, I don't think he expected him to have an impact in that time other than to maybe win a free kick

The change by Dechamps to bring on Thuram worked really well last night although Morocco really should have scored ast least one of those chances, I doubt England would have got away with some of that defending.

It's another international tournament where the most pragmatic sides have got to the final, you can certainly see why Southgate has tried to play that way and had sucsess doing it, almost a different sport to elite club football
FIFA World Cup thread. on 09:39 - Dec 15 with 933 viewsNorthantsHoop

FIFA World Cup thread. on 08:10 - Dec 15 by daveB

It does seem that in the big games when the tide starts to turn he's not able to wrestle it back although last weekend if Kane scored that penalty we may have felt differently. Who knows.

The Grealish change was only due to Stones being injured, I don't think he expected him to have an impact in that time other than to maybe win a free kick

The change by Dechamps to bring on Thuram worked really well last night although Morocco really should have scored ast least one of those chances, I doubt England would have got away with some of that defending.

It's another international tournament where the most pragmatic sides have got to the final, you can certainly see why Southgate has tried to play that way and had sucsess doing it, almost a different sport to elite club football

France were able to step up a gear with their substitutions, thought Morocco gave them a game in the 2nd half, just did not have quality where it counted in front of goal. Mbappe pure class for French 2nd goal. As for England always going to difficult going behind to France and so it proved, if we had gone ahead early think we would have won it. Southgate wasted Maddison not giving him a go in knockout stages.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 09:39 - Dec 15 with 933 viewsToast_R

FIFA World Cup thread. on 08:10 - Dec 15 by daveB

I agree, you see it all the time, one of the finalists plays boring stifling football which is why it's rare that the final is a classic and is more often than not, the worst game of the tournament.

(West) Germany got to finals is 82, 86 and 2002 without being that great (2002 they were shocking) and when they were good to watch in 1990 and 2014, they played a dire Argentina team who tried to stifle the game, it still irks me how Argentina made the 1990 final, they were so average.

Italy another team, 1994 and 2006; a boring watch both years but difficult to beat.

France in 98 were lucky and had an easy run and in the final, Brazill didn't fancy it.

Spain just bored everyone in 2010, it was different but not that entertaining once the novelty wore off.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2022 9:40]
FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:43 - Dec 15 with 873 viewsTheChef

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:55 - Dec 14 by Ranger_Things

How the fck did that not go in? Have to say Morocco would have smashed England to bits.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2022 20:55]

Oh I dunno - they were great to watch last night, had a really good go, but they could have played all night and not scored. Final ball was consistently awful, and that number 9 who came on was sub-Championship standard.

France are a good side, rather than being brilliant they have just been consistently effective and made the key moments count in each match. Quite annoying really.

Will be an interesting final.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:49 - Dec 15 with 863 viewsJuzzie

If Southgate does step down there's plenty of candidates to choose from across social media.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:54 - Dec 15 with 824 viewsTheChef

FIFA World Cup thread. on 07:57 - Dec 15 by traininvain

Possibly. I thought Southgate was a bit unlucky vs France. If Kane scores the second penalty and England go on to win then people would be congratulating him for bringing Mount on to win the penalty with his pressing. Such fine margins.

Holland were forced to go direct vs Argentina due to Van Gaal’s overly negative tactics and they still lost. I don’t think we can accuse Southgate of being too negative vs France. But the way the game played out didn’t help. England were on top during the second half at 1-1 until France got a late goal which made it difficult for Southgate to make changes as who do you take off while we’re on top without disrupting the balance.

For what it’s worth, I would agree that once England went behind his changes could’ve been better but one of his subs did win a penalty. I didn’t agree with replacing Saka as France couldn’t handle him. Rashford and Sterling vs a deep French defence was also a bit strange. Could’ve done with the guile of Grealish or Maddison. But again, if Kane scores the second penalty we might not be having this conversation and not much Southgate can do about that moment.

I couldn't recall but checking back, Southgate made the subs right after Giroud scored; so being reactive rather than proactive as he tends to be.

Still don't know why Saka went off, and why based on form Rashford didn't come on for him.

FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:58 - Dec 15 with 814 viewsTheChef

FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:49 - Dec 15 by Juzzie

If Southgate does step down there's plenty of candidates to choose from across social media.

LOLZ.

I don't mind if Southgate stays on if he can learn from his mistakes (although I do wonder if he can...), it really is a great set of players so you wonder if someone else can do better with them; but then who would that person be?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:07 - Dec 15 with 802 viewstraininvain

FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:49 - Dec 15 by Juzzie

FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:09 - Dec 15 with 796 viewstraininvain

FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:54 - Dec 15 by TheChef

I couldn't recall but checking back, Southgate made the subs right after Giroud scored; so being reactive rather than proactive as he tends to be.

Still don't know why Saka went off, and why based on form Rashford didn't come on for him.

But England looked the more likely to score up until the few mins before Giroud got the winner. It’s easy to say with hindsight that Southgate should’ve made subs before France got the second but I doubt many of us would’ve said so at the time.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:14 - Dec 15 with 787 viewsdaveB

FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:54 - Dec 15 by TheChef

They were about to come on before they scored, they waited as France had a corner
FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:18 - Dec 15 with 780 viewsdaveB

FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:07 - Dec 15 by traininvain

He really is a prick calling for a fellow manager to resign. I completly get why people think he should go but so unproffessional from that prat, no class whatsoever
[Post edited 15 Dec 2022 11:21]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024