Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Eastleigh (H) Match Thread 22:52 - Aug 17 with 17926 viewsHullDale

Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 18:12 - Aug 19 with 4633 viewsRotherhamDale

Clayton, Gilmour and East were excellent. A real pleasure to watch them keep the ball and break the lines over and over again.

Thought Sinclair was quiet. And Afoye abysmal when he came on.

Other than that, comfortable performance where we should have had 3 or 4 at least. I'm not sure how Mitchell went from missing from 4 yards to smashing one in from 25.

Possession with progression.

Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 18:17 - Aug 19 with 4578 viewsTVOS1907

Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 15:55 - Aug 19 by downunder

Can't sleep so decided to log in. When was the last time Dale were 2-0 up at half time?

In March v Stevenage

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 18:24 - Aug 19 with 4515 viewsisitme

A very comfortable game. It is amazing how much a dominant midfield can impact a game. East bossed it without breaking sweat and Clayton and Gilmour also had good games. Sinclair was a real threat until he was kicked out of the game. Mitchell's strike was impressive, especially so soon after a really bad miss.

There was a lot of impressive football today and again we could have, should have scored more. With Rodney and Jez in that team we should be able to give it a go against anyone in this league. Roll on Friday.
Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 18:28 - Aug 19 with 4481 viewsTalkingSutty

Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 18:08 - Aug 19 by James1980

One thing is teams will have to be fit enough to play for 100 minutes plus this season considering the time that is getting added on.

Great result and it looks like we are one of the teams that can last the new distance.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2023 18:09]

Today was a joy to watch at times, we literally passed them to death. The sort of passing that we have been crying out for, quick and incisive and looking to play it forward. Having players on the half turn, on the move rather than standing still was something that Eastleigh couldn't cope with. We made them look poor and panicked them into miss placed passes. Clayton was the puppet master and everything went through him. Gilmour put a great shift in and i thought Mitchell did a great job up front, he will only get better and for a big fella he is pretty mobile. East looked quality.The players have set the benchmark today, they know how they can dominate teams now.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2023 18:30]
Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 18:38 - Aug 19 with 4383 viewsDaleFan7

It's the first time in a long time we have a decent midfield, East looks really assured in front of the defence, Clayton has been great as the general and things going through him and for me Gilmour has been our best signing so far, he was by far my MoM today.

We played well first half against one of the worst teams I think I've ever seen at Spotland. You can see why Quigley wasn't exactly revered here last season, he was utter garbage. Mitchell has been an odd one so far for me, as a target man, nothing seems to stick to him but then he's scored 2 really nice goals in the last 2 games so you can't complain with that!

Second half was extremely pedestrian, we were never under any threat from Eastleigh and it showed in our play, we knew they wouldn't score two and were happy at 2-0.
Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 19:15 - Aug 19 with 4178 views442Dale

Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 18:38 - Aug 19 by DaleFan7

It's the first time in a long time we have a decent midfield, East looks really assured in front of the defence, Clayton has been great as the general and things going through him and for me Gilmour has been our best signing so far, he was by far my MoM today.

We played well first half against one of the worst teams I think I've ever seen at Spotland. You can see why Quigley wasn't exactly revered here last season, he was utter garbage. Mitchell has been an odd one so far for me, as a target man, nothing seems to stick to him but then he's scored 2 really nice goals in the last 2 games so you can't complain with that!

Second half was extremely pedestrian, we were never under any threat from Eastleigh and it showed in our play, we knew they wouldn't score two and were happy at 2-0.

If we could get a Chris O’Grady or a Tony Ellis in to work with Mitchell one day a week, there will be a real player there. He knows how to play the role, it’s just the little things in certain situations.

There was a ball into him in their penalty area in the second half which he half turned the defender on who went in to see it out for a goal kick. Mitchell did everything right as the ball came into him and his choice to turn was excellent, the only thing he missed out on was then ensuring he moved across the defender to retain in control of the roll of the ball. He didn’t, it was a dead ball. Small improvements which he will learn with good coaching.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 19:53 - Aug 19 with 3986 viewsNorthernDale

The first half was a good performance and if we took our chances, the game would have been over at half time. In the second half, we seem to sit back and this allowed Eastleigh into the game, we could have been dangerous, thankfully they played poorly. I was nervous with the passing across the back four, it could cost if we are not careful.

Henderson was good, as you would expect, Mitchell has scored 2 in 2, but the jury is still out on him, he could watch and learn from Hendo, I was surprised Rodney start or come on. Afuye is young, but he is to light weight and is struggling to make an impression. Where was the lad from Chesterfield today?

Some people were criticising John, but I thought he has had a decent start to the season and played okay today. The midfield looked good and Clayton, Gilmour and East combined well to create chances.

Overall a decent performances, but there is still room to improve.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2023 19:55]
Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 19:57 - Aug 19 with 3953 views442Dale

Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 19:53 - Aug 19 by NorthernDale

The first half was a good performance and if we took our chances, the game would have been over at half time. In the second half, we seem to sit back and this allowed Eastleigh into the game, we could have been dangerous, thankfully they played poorly. I was nervous with the passing across the back four, it could cost if we are not careful.

Henderson was good, as you would expect, Mitchell has scored 2 in 2, but the jury is still out on him, he could watch and learn from Hendo, I was surprised Rodney start or come on. Afuye is young, but he is to light weight and is struggling to make an impression. Where was the lad from Chesterfield today?

Some people were criticising John, but I thought he has had a decent start to the season and played okay today. The midfield looked good and Clayton, Gilmour and East combined well to create chances.

Overall a decent performances, but there is still room to improve.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2023 19:55]

McNulty said afterwards Uchegbulum has a hamstring injury. Could be out 3/4 weeks.

Never looked in any trouble today when we passed across the back. There’s nothing wrong with it when the intention is to go into the forwards quickly when required.

Login to get fewer ads

Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 21:01 - Aug 19 with 3667 viewsDickydaler

Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 18:12 - Aug 19 by RotherhamDale

Clayton, Gilmour and East were excellent. A real pleasure to watch them keep the ball and break the lines over and over again.

Thought Sinclair was quiet. And Afoye abysmal when he came on.

Other than that, comfortable performance where we should have had 3 or 4 at least. I'm not sure how Mitchell went from missing from 4 yards to smashing one in from 25.

I thought Sinclair was anything but quiet. I really enjoyed watching him. Ok, it didn't always come off but it was exciting watching him. And the game certainly changed when he had to go off.
Agree about our midfield, they were brilliant today. Special mention to Jimmy keoghane as well.
Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 21:35 - Aug 19 with 3504 viewsjonahwhereru

And breathe! We are in this league because we couldn’t compete in L2. After the phoney war of the first two game and the disappointment of Tuesday today we know we can be competitive in this league.
This squad is still small in number and managing team selection is going to be more of a challenge for BJ than previous managers. Additionally with these 100 minute matches I fully expect that a settled side will be nigh on impossible. It will have nothing to do with “not knowing his best side”. Of cause he does. It’s just he will struggle to get that team on the pitch very often.
Happy tonight.
UTD
Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 22:06 - Aug 19 with 3348 views49thseason

I thought we were impressive for long periods in the game, with a couple of more " relaxed" moments when a more cohesive side would have held their press and looked to score more goals, but its early days and I think this team still has room to improve certainly they will get stronger as they become accustomed to the physicality of this League. Midfield were excellent and the defence coped without ever looking panicked, Going forwards I think Mitchell needs to gain a bit more self- confidence and make those runs between the centre halves count for more, he isnt Beesley yet, but he has the raw talent to become so.
If the recent signings have been helped by MRKT then it looks as though the system is working. All in all, a most enjoyable afternoon.. roll on Friday!
Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 22:36 - Aug 19 with 3248 viewsSandyman

Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 00:36 - Aug 20 with 3014 views_Windydale

Some may say Sinclair was a little selfish in the game, during moments when his team mates looked in better positions.

However,

I like the fact he's a selfish goalscorer and probably wants to be top scorer in the division. Good to have a positive player playing for us with belief in his abilities. Hope he keeps at it and makes most out of his career.
Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 06:23 - Aug 20 with 2810 viewsfrenzied

A reasonably steady start so far.

More positives than negatives.

Hopefully we can find a target man up front before the window closes to give us more options.

Clayton will need careful handling so not to burn him out too quickly

Id never underestimate the opposition at anytime...most relegated FL teams have been incarcerated in the NL or worse for many yrs after.

Although not my choice as manager full credit to Jim and his staff so far
Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 07:12 - Aug 20 with 2724 viewsrichfoad32

Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 06:23 - Aug 20 by frenzied

Hopefully we can find a target man up front before the window closes to give us more options.

Id never underestimate the opposition at anytime...most relegated FL teams have been incarcerated in the NL or worse for many yrs after.

I didn't think there were transfer windows in the NL?

I'd agree that we have probably been handed a soft schedule to begin the season and there will be far tougher tests to come. This will put pressure on what is a paper thin squad.

Mostly enjoyed it so far though and just a season of consolidation without anxiously looking at the drop zone will do me.
Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 07:17 - Aug 20 with 2700 viewsSaxonDale

Missed yesterday so won’t can’t really comment on the game but McNulty deserves his plaudits. Whilst we all want to be successful, it’s also worth noting McNulty is on his way to creating a squad with players we can hopefully have success with, who can alap become saleable assets. What an achievement considering budget constraints and the squad he inherited.
Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 07:30 - Aug 20 with 2679 viewsTalkingSutty

Yes, full credit to the manager, he wasn't my first choice neither.The big stand out for me are our fitness levels compared to this stage last season, the difference is night and day. Training at Platt Lane on full size pitches has to help. It's not hindsight, the set up at the cricket club might have been handy but it wasn't suitable as a full time training base. Henderson epitomised that improvement in our fitness levels yesterday, he was still charging around the pitch like a young stag even in the closing minutes of the game.

Then we have the MRKT debate, it seemed obvious even from the first friendly at Radcliffe that we had recruited some more than capable players and that seems to have continued. So as much as i have a downer on how the club has been run since the new board took charge, i'll give them credit for bringing in MRKT and also appointing McNulty. Early signs suggest that these players can more than hold their own in this league and its obvious to see that they are playing for the manager. Win on Friday and we can start to enjoy looking at the league table again.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2023 7:31]
Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 07:32 - Aug 20 with 2670 views442Dale

Unless Rodney goes, it’s doubtful we will be bringing in another striker and nor should we be doing in our current financial position. Unless it’s a young player loanee who we will contribute very little of his wages, it’s not a move we should be looking at.

The actions of other clubs who would continue to build squads whilst it was obvious they couldn’t afford it is something that has been rightly criticised in the past. Until it’s made crystal clear there would be no longer term impact on the club’s future, we have to stick to our budget. Maybe even reduce it.

Also, we have to allow Mitchell to develop in that role. He obviously has the attributes and needs to be allowed to see how he can get better. Two goals in four games isn’t bad either. The option to play Sinclair/Uchegbulum centrally as well as Henderson and Rodney means a move for anyone else really can’t be justified at the moment. Especially when we can only choose five subs.

Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 08:14 - Aug 20 with 2588 viewsD_Alien

Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 07:32 - Aug 20 by 442Dale

Unless Rodney goes, it’s doubtful we will be bringing in another striker and nor should we be doing in our current financial position. Unless it’s a young player loanee who we will contribute very little of his wages, it’s not a move we should be looking at.

The actions of other clubs who would continue to build squads whilst it was obvious they couldn’t afford it is something that has been rightly criticised in the past. Until it’s made crystal clear there would be no longer term impact on the club’s future, we have to stick to our budget. Maybe even reduce it.

Also, we have to allow Mitchell to develop in that role. He obviously has the attributes and needs to be allowed to see how he can get better. Two goals in four games isn’t bad either. The option to play Sinclair/Uchegbulum centrally as well as Henderson and Rodney means a move for anyone else really can’t be justified at the moment. Especially when we can only choose five subs.

Young hopefuls like Mitchell need careful handling, and i agree he should be given chance to improve his game. If he's contributing to the scoresheet whilst he learns that'll do for me. People talk about "he's not yet like Beesley" but forget Beesley couldn't hit the target for ages - until he gained some confidence through being played. Reminds me a bit of a young, raw David Cross, who struggled to hold the ball up for the first six months and had some of the crowd on his back. (Not saying Mitchell has his potential.) We're not in a position to be signing "finished products" - they'll be on bigger wages elsewhere

We really do need to follow up with another result on Friday now, to start putting a marker down. No point getting excited about anything just yet
[Post edited 20 Aug 2023 8:17]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 09:22 - Aug 20 with 2398 viewsmikehunt

Aye. All the above. I mean, when was the last time you came away from a Dale match beaming? What stood out for me was, that when we carried the ball forward, there were outlets to pass to: we were playing triangles and give-and-goes. Not the usual dash forward, hold the ball up and lose it or launch the ball into a box devoid of Dale players. What a delight to view.
And I should like to give Eastleigh a little more credit and think we made them look bad. They had had three draws prior to that game - all against current top seven teams- and came back from 3 -0 down against Barnet in their last game.
Next two games are against early strugglers. We should have an idea if we should get excited or not after those two.
UTD

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 09:40 - Aug 20 with 2323 viewssamueloneils

Delight to watch the midfield trio. Defence immaculate in clearing headers. Hendo rearing about the pitch, even later on. Mitchell scores a screamer,

Whats not to like?

Two gripes.

1. I don`t recall more than 4 or five shots on goal. With all that beautifully worked possession, why cant we get more shots in? Training should involve turning to goal with the ball, and taking a shot.

2. An old one but true. Why oh why are we still putting everyone back at corners? Eastleigh were a huge team and it invites trouble. Playing Hendo or Sinclair at halfway takes two defenders out and also gives Moulden an outball if he gathers. Insane and Jim should know this as a tall defender himself.

Eastleigh weren`t as bad as some people make out- but they were outclassed.
Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 10:05 - Aug 20 with 2227 viewsDale_4_Life

There were 3 mom performances for me with East Gilmour and Clayton all having great games. This midfield 3 should win Dale plenty of games they were a joy.

Mitchell looks very raw but scored a screamer he needs to become Hendos best mate and serve an apprenticeship with him.

Ferguson also had a great game he looks more than useful.

Sadly Afuye does not look ready and this could be a step to far. He is very young though so needs time to get used to how he can influence a game.

All said nothing to fear in this league so we move on to Friday night and the players should be buzzing to get back into competitive action.
Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 10:30 - Aug 20 with 2154 viewsNorthernDale

After watching East yesterday and if can continue in his performances then , he will be an asset to us this season. I can understand why Bradford fans would have preferred to have kept him, instead of seeing him going on loan. Hopefully there is no recall clause in the loan agreement. The midfield of Clayton, Gilmour, East and also the cameo appearances of MacDermott, it already looks better then last season's midfield, yes you may argue the standard is lower, but it looks more competitive, hopefully it will continue for the whole season.
Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 11:28 - Aug 20 with 1976 viewsEllDale

My only fear this morning, whilst basking in the performance yesterday, is that Bradford City will sack Mark Hughes and his successor will recall East.
It’s easy to compare East, Clayton and Gilmour with Toums, Ball and Kelly but there isn’t really a comparison when you think about it!
Eastleigh are an experienced team at this level and yet yesterday they were overwhelmed at times.
Gilmour was absolutely shattered at the end and I’m not surprised.
The spine of the team looked good from Moulden through EEL and Ferguson to Henderson.
There isn’t a Dale player that I could criticise. SAJ and John were getting forward at every opportunity and Sinclair was a constant thorn in the visitor’s side.
Perhaps we’re still a bit thin on the bench? Afuye and McDermott both looked lightweight when they came on, the former is definitely a work in progress. No keeper on the bench either.
Other teams won’t be as passive as Eastleigh but let’s enjoy the moment. God knows, we’ve deserved it.
Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 11:39 - Aug 20 with 1921 viewsscarrow

Eastleigh (H) Match Thread on 11:28 - Aug 20 by EllDale

My only fear this morning, whilst basking in the performance yesterday, is that Bradford City will sack Mark Hughes and his successor will recall East.
It’s easy to compare East, Clayton and Gilmour with Toums, Ball and Kelly but there isn’t really a comparison when you think about it!
Eastleigh are an experienced team at this level and yet yesterday they were overwhelmed at times.
Gilmour was absolutely shattered at the end and I’m not surprised.
The spine of the team looked good from Moulden through EEL and Ferguson to Henderson.
There isn’t a Dale player that I could criticise. SAJ and John were getting forward at every opportunity and Sinclair was a constant thorn in the visitor’s side.
Perhaps we’re still a bit thin on the bench? Afuye and McDermott both looked lightweight when they came on, the former is definitely a work in progress. No keeper on the bench either.
Other teams won’t be as passive as Eastleigh but let’s enjoy the moment. God knows, we’ve deserved it.

Harsh on McDermott only on for 10 minutes and he got stuck in

Poll: Final position

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024