Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I hold the record - Boro Match Thread 09:30 - Feb 17 with 37698 viewsSuperhoops2808

So I hold the current record. The last time I started a match thread, we won against Preston in what feels like last year... Oh wait, it was - The 17th December and the last time we recorded a victory

So, exactly 2 months later, I have decided to start a match thread in the hope that this will turn the fortunes around.

I am going to go for another 0-1 away win. And why the optimism? Well a) eventually we have to win and b) Boro may feel like we are ripe for the taking (which we are) and be more relaxed about the whole match

Wishful thinking, but anyway - Lets see
I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 18:03 - Feb 18 with 2409 viewsDamo1962

I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 17:32 - Feb 18 by johnhoop

Should have been ”him”.
On another note did people see that they brought Crooks, Howson and Mowatt on in the second half.
A midfield three that we could only dream of and for them it’s coming off the bench.

Like a Prem v L1 cup tie. That is the brutal truth of where we are now.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2023 18:07]
I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 18:03 - Feb 18 with 2434 viewsRangersw12

I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 18:01 - Feb 18 by paulparker

I know what version of events I believe

Same.
I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 18:04 - Feb 18 with 2399 viewsDamo1962

I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 17:37 - Feb 18 by dmm

Agreed. It's no good looking flash one minute and then next misspassing the ball or giving away a pen. Given he's no goals or assists to his name for us he's just a liability.

Said it from day one. Rather see one of the youngsters in.
I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 18:06 - Feb 18 with 2376 viewsDamo1962

I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 17:44 - Feb 18 by VancouverHoop

"He was better today, which wasn’t hard, but he ambles about without a care in the world."

Funny. I can think of another recent player of ours some people said that about. Now who was it? Only three letters in his surname...

You aren't seriously comparing Eze with Iro?😲
I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 18:10 - Feb 18 with 2346 viewsVancouverHoop

Willock, Amos, JCS, Dykes, Roberts, Richards, Balogun, Laird, Armstrong.

Nine members of our first-team squad that were unavailable today.* It's all very well sh***ing on individuals that did play, or saying 'play the kids,' but throwing them into a prospective relegation battle is likely to do no one any good. If we're going to stay up chances are we'll have to do it with the players we saw on the pitch today plus any of the above who manage to get match fit.

* It's probably only coincidental that five of the nine were brought here by our late lamented previous Head Coach.
I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 18:12 - Feb 18 with 2310 viewsVancouverHoop

I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 18:06 - Feb 18 by Damo1962

You aren't seriously comparing Eze with Iro?😲

Only in the type of criticism he got, especially in his first season.
I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 18:16 - Feb 18 with 2251 views1JD

"He was better today, which wasn’t hard, but he ambles about without a care in the world."

Funny. I can think of another recent player of ours some people said that about. Now who was it? Only three letters in his surname...

I don’t agree with your comparison and insinuation.

Firstly, I was no Eze hater, and one of his biggest fans, since the earliest of days. But yes, i agree, he had a languid style that people often mistook for laziness.

But regardless of that, his quality outweighed any perceived weakness.

Tim is a completely different kettle of fish. Not least because he plays in a different position where working hard is the basics. Simply, you cannot get away with NOT working hard in the middle of the park. And in short, his strengths (and let’s be frank, there isn’t many) do not outweigh his weaknesses.

He continues to cost us, and I’d like to know why he continues to get picked regardless.
I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 18:18 - Feb 18 with 2228 viewsVancouverHoop

I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 18:16 - Feb 18 by 1JD

I don’t agree with your comparison and insinuation.

Firstly, I was no Eze hater, and one of his biggest fans, since the earliest of days. But yes, i agree, he had a languid style that people often mistook for laziness.

But regardless of that, his quality outweighed any perceived weakness.

Tim is a completely different kettle of fish. Not least because he plays in a different position where working hard is the basics. Simply, you cannot get away with NOT working hard in the middle of the park. And in short, his strengths (and let’s be frank, there isn’t many) do not outweigh his weaknesses.

He continues to cost us, and I’d like to know why he continues to get picked regardless.

Because we have no one else in that position right now.
Login to get fewer ads

I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 18:21 - Feb 18 with 2181 viewsEsox_Lucius

I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 14:07 - Feb 18 by Nov77

Dozzell again?
Why?

Surely start with johansen and see how long he lasts.

Probably because Dozell has been consistently better than StefJo this season when played. IMO

The grass is always greener.

I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 18:28 - Feb 18 with 2118 viewsVancouverHoop

I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 18:21 - Feb 18 by Esox_Lucius

Probably because Dozell has been consistently better than StefJo this season when played. IMO

I suspect he has a chronic injury issue, kinda like Willock and, maybe, Amos.
I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 18:31 - Feb 18 with 2062 viewsDamo1962

I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 18:12 - Feb 18 by VancouverHoop

Only in the type of criticism he got, especially in his first season.

Agree Eze proved a lot of people wrong, but with respect...this Iro bloke is not going to do that - here or elsewhere.
I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 18:32 - Feb 18 with 2076 viewsNed_Kennedys

I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 18:10 - Feb 18 by VancouverHoop

Willock, Amos, JCS, Dykes, Roberts, Richards, Balogun, Laird, Armstrong.

Nine members of our first-team squad that were unavailable today.* It's all very well sh***ing on individuals that did play, or saying 'play the kids,' but throwing them into a prospective relegation battle is likely to do no one any good. If we're going to stay up chances are we'll have to do it with the players we saw on the pitch today plus any of the above who manage to get match fit.

* It's probably only coincidental that five of the nine were brought here by our late lamented previous Head Coach.

So don’t try any of the youngsters and stick with the players who have been responsible for our current disastrous run? Don’t think that’s working so well is it?
I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 18:38 - Feb 18 with 2014 viewsVancouverHoop

I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 18:32 - Feb 18 by Ned_Kennedys

So don’t try any of the youngsters and stick with the players who have been responsible for our current disastrous run? Don’t think that’s working so well is it?

No it's not. But the youngest player we had on the park today makes plenty of mistakes and gets nothing but stick on here. Imagine the reaction if we put a couple more teenagers out there.
I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 19:07 - Feb 18 with 1878 viewsMatch82

Yeah but to be fair Chris Day played in goal.
I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 19:07 - Feb 18 with 1877 views1JD

I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 18:38 - Feb 18 by VancouverHoop

No it's not. But the youngest player we had on the park today makes plenty of mistakes and gets nothing but stick on here. Imagine the reaction if we put a couple more teenagers out there.

The reason he gets so much criticism is because he has played 24 games, and has shown no sign of improvement. He gets worse, not better.

You say we can’t play our youth, but Tim at 19, is a youth. He’s had ample time to show what he can do, and he can’t do it, or doesn’t want to do it. Or both.

He’s set such a low bar, than our youth prospects can hardly do any worse. Give them 5 games and see what they can do. As far as I’m concerned, all they would have to do is work hard, and not give the ball away for fun, and that would already be an improvement.
I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 19:12 - Feb 18 with 1833 viewsVancouverHoop

I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 19:07 - Feb 18 by 1JD

The reason he gets so much criticism is because he has played 24 games, and has shown no sign of improvement. He gets worse, not better.

You say we can’t play our youth, but Tim at 19, is a youth. He’s had ample time to show what he can do, and he can’t do it, or doesn’t want to do it. Or both.

He’s set such a low bar, than our youth prospects can hardly do any worse. Give them 5 games and see what they can do. As far as I’m concerned, all they would have to do is work hard, and not give the ball away for fun, and that would already be an improvement.

Which is kinda my point. If he hasn't been able to flourish, what makes you believe our other teenagers will do any better?
I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 19:13 - Feb 18 with 1827 viewsVancouverHoop

I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 19:07 - Feb 18 by Match82

Yeah but to be fair Chris Day played in goal.

Heh!
I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 19:15 - Feb 18 with 1802 viewsWegerles_Stairs

I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 18:01 - Feb 18 by Hooping_Mad

B*ll*cks I think we are going to drop. I don't think we need a director of football in league 1?

Like it or not he needs to pull the trigger to save his own skin now.

I have no doubt Teflon Les will be doing that.
I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 19:17 - Feb 18 with 1791 viewsdmm

I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 19:07 - Feb 18 by 1JD

Yep, sadly you're right. Along with many others, I was pleased when TimO came but after a promising start, as you say, he just gets worse.

If there are no first team alternatives play Alex Aoraha instead.
I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 20:20 - Feb 18 with 1637 viewseastside_r

I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 18:21 - Feb 18 by Esox_Lucius

He really hasn’t.
I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 20:32 - Feb 18 with 1572 viewsOldPedro

I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 19:12 - Feb 18 by VancouverHoop

Which is kinda my point. If he hasn't been able to flourish, what makes you believe our other teenagers will do any better?

"Which is kinda my point. If he hasn't been able to flourish, what makes you believe our other teenagers will do any better?"

Tim isn't ours so we are developing him for Villa. At least if we were trying one of the players we own, we would be developing them for us.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 20:56 - Feb 18 with 1499 views1JD

Sorry, but I don’t follow your reasoning at all.

If i play it back to you, you are suggesting that because Tim can’t make it, no one else of a similar age can either?

If that were the case, no youngster, anywhere, at any club, would ever make it. It’s a fact of life that some people make it, others don’t. What is needed is the opportunity. Tim has had his. And has not taken it.

And now others should be given that same opportunity. What’s more they are in fact our own young players with promise. Especially Alex Aoraha who I’ve seen multiple times - and who definitely has something about him.
I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 22:24 - Feb 18 with 1284 viewsVancouverHoop

I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 20:56 - Feb 18 by 1JD

Sorry, but I don’t follow your reasoning at all.

If i play it back to you, you are suggesting that because Tim can’t make it, no one else of a similar age can either?

If that were the case, no youngster, anywhere, at any club, would ever make it. It’s a fact of life that some people make it, others don’t. What is needed is the opportunity. Tim has had his. And has not taken it.

And now others should be given that same opportunity. What’s more they are in fact our own young players with promise. Especially Alex Aoraha who I’ve seen multiple times - and who definitely has something about him.

I'm not saying they won't make it, I'm saying the timing isn't optimal.

There's a time to blood young players and the middle of a record-breaking losing streak isn't optimal. One might flourish, but another two or three might might find their confidence severely damaged, even irrecoverable. Especially if the our fans take against them as some have against Iroegbunam.
I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 23:02 - Feb 18 with 1214 viewsRangersw12

Because at least they're our players and not some overpaid Premier league youth melt who clearly thinks he's better than he is
I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 00:01 - Feb 19 with 1092 viewsVancouverHoop

I hold the record - Boro Match Thread on 23:02 - Feb 18 by Rangersw12

Because at least they're our players and not some overpaid Premier league youth melt who clearly thinks he's better than he is

What evidence do have that he "clearly thinks he's better than he is?"

He's the only one of our loanees that isn't currently "injured." He certainly makes many mistakes in a team that's seriously mistake prone already, but he doesn't hide and shows flashes of skill. Should he be here? Possibly not, but I don't recall too many objections at the time, and if it wasn't him Beale would have just brought in someone else.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024