Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FIFA World Cup thread. 12:02 - Nov 15 with 125443 viewsSnipper

I’m trying to get excited about this World Cup, but to no avail :-((.

I’ve just watched Sky Sports World Cup preview with Gary Neville, Jamie Redknapp, Jamie Carragher & Karen Carney. Utterly depressing viewing. Same old, same old. Picking players for the starting XI not playing for their clubs, or totally off form.

I’m hoping this thread can get the juices flowing.

Do any of you think England have a chance?
FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:27 - Dec 6 with 2200 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Got to be one of the greatest calls by a manager ever to play this guy.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:28 - Dec 6 with 2221 viewsLogman

He's a good manager. Hopefully he doesn't cave in and bring Ronaldo on.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:29 - Dec 6 with 2214 viewsNorthernr

The fcking strain this manager must be resisting to turn around and shoot him a little glance must be overwhelming.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:43 - Dec 6 with 2151 viewsR_from_afar

I can't remember which game it was but I was listening to a World Cup game on TalkSport the other evening and the commentary and insight, from Lianne Sanderson and Joe Shennan, was excellent.

They focused on describing what was actually happening on the pitch rather than waffling on about the background to the game, teams other than the two on the pitch or the Premiership. Oh, and they didn't do the Ian Dennis trick of telling us how long was left every two minutes *throughout* the game, sigh.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2022 21:11]

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:46 - Dec 6 with 2139 viewsToast_R

Ronaldo should retire at full time, at least at international level and go out with a bit of dignity. Right now he's playing like Macualey Bonne
[Post edited 6 Dec 2022 20:47]
FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:46 - Dec 6 with 2139 viewsNorthernr

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:43 - Dec 6 by R_from_afar

I can't remember which game it was but I was listening to a World Cup game on TalkSport the other evening and the commentary and insight, from Lianne Sanderson and Joe Shennan, was excellent.

They focused on describing what was actually happening on the pitch rather than waffling on about the background to the game, teams other than the two on the pitch or the Premiership. Oh, and they didn't do the Ian Dennis trick of telling us how long was left every two minutes *throughout* the game, sigh.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2022 21:11]

When I was driving a huge amount for work 15 years ago, just constant late night motorway travel, listening to the split commentary teams on Five Live (NOT YOU ALAN GREEN) each evening was the only joy of the existance. Mike Ingham, people like that. Absolutely masterful. Jimmy Armfield or Graham Taylor on co-coms.

This post has been edited by an administrator
FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:53 - Dec 6 with 2096 viewsRanger_Things

When he struck that the goalkeeper was busy thinking about which meal to have on the flight home.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:17 - Dec 6 with 2020 viewsdaveB

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:46 - Dec 6 by Toast_R

Ronaldo should retire at full time, at least at international level and go out with a bit of dignity. Right now he's playing like Macualey Bonne
[Post edited 6 Dec 2022 20:47]

He'll probably get the winner in the final, they looked sensational tonight. That Felix was superb for them
Login to get fewer ads

FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:33 - Dec 6 with 1965 viewsWegerles_Stairs

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:46 - Dec 6 by Northernr

When I was driving a huge amount for work 15 years ago, just constant late night motorway travel, listening to the split commentary teams on Five Live (NOT YOU ALAN GREEN) each evening was the only joy of the existance. Mike Ingham, people like that. Absolutely masterful. Jimmy Armfield or Graham Taylor on co-coms.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Sad that Radio 2/5 used to have the likes of Peter Jones, Bryon Butler and Mike Ingham - and now it is mostly MEGABANTZ.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:39 - Dec 6 with 1966 viewsBAWHoops

It's a shame for Portugal because they are as good as anyone without Ronaldo.
However a semi final v England/France and there's just no chance he doesn't insist upon playing. If he loses that battle and starts as a sub then he's coming on in a tight game on 60 minutes to stink up the Portugal attack.

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

FIFA World Cup thread. on 09:02 - Dec 7 with 1695 viewsPinnerPaul

FIFA World Cup thread. on 19:12 - Dec 6 by Northernr

For all the 'I can't believe ITV ditched Tyldesley for Matterface' stuff, this is where Tyldesley is absolutely insufferable. There's a talking point, there's a Man Utd angle, and he cannot leave it alone. Talking about absolutely nothing else. At one point even says "let's not talk about Ronaldo for a bit, there are 22 other international standard athletes out there... 3 mentions in the next six minutes. Like picking a scab, he can't leave it alone.

I said exactly that to the long suffering Mrs PP last night, who in the end told me I had mentioned CT as much as CT had mentioned CR! :-)

20 mentions in the first half and the first mention in the 2nd half came after less than a minute!

I think SM is fine, actually commentates on the match as opposed to some, like Tyldesley and Pearce who talk about everything but.

Its all subjective and I suspect there may be a bit of "Lets keep ITV sweet as they do a good job with the Racing", but Racing Post article was praising ITV commentary teams, especially the co comms in an article last Saturday - Mr T didn't get a mention though!
FIFA World Cup thread. on 09:03 - Dec 7 with 1691 viewsPinnerPaul

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:04 - Dec 6 by Northernr

Started a game at AFCON and it went BADLY. He got hooked after 30 minutes. So not surprised to see him on bibs, balls and cones duty.

I love Ilias dearly, but is he at the level of this game?

I agree 100%, but surely that means he is not (yet) at PL level?
FIFA World Cup thread. on 09:09 - Dec 7 with 1673 viewsPinnerPaul

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:05 - Dec 6 by TGRRRSSS

I cant remember the game but there was q world cup game and a player got a 2nd yellow card - so red obviously.

Tyldesley said "I cant actually remember him getting the first yellow to tell the truth".

The reason being he was already on his third mention of "MANCHESTER United" in a match that couldn't have had less to do with them at the time.

None of them got the Barry Davies, John Motson or Brian Moore about them really but Tydesley was infuriating.

Last night there was a better one.

Referring to the possession stats put up by the Host Broadcaster, CT says "But that doesn't add up to 100?"

Now he told us himself that it was the 56th match of the this WC, so he hasn't noticed that they put up a 3rd %, which is when the ball is being "contested" - I don't think these stats are of any use myself, but come on, 56 matches and you haven't noticed that!?!
FIFA World Cup thread. on 09:12 - Dec 7 with 1665 viewsPinnerPaul

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:12 - Dec 6 by Northernr

Struggling to put my finger on why Portugal suddenly look such an effective, coherent, dangerous side.

Very good, although he did make two other changes as well.

Has a major decision like that ever worked so well - a hat trick!
FIFA World Cup thread. on 09:19 - Dec 7 with 1647 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The new phase in Ireland is mind-reading commentators:

"He knows himself he should have scored"
"He knows himself he should have saved that"
"He knows himself that the capital of Brunei is Bandar Seri Begawan"

Do ye have any of those?
We can send ye over a few, if ye'd like?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

FIFA World Cup thread. on 09:31 - Dec 7 with 1610 viewsTheChef

FIFA World Cup thread. on 09:02 - Dec 7 by PinnerPaul

I said exactly that to the long suffering Mrs PP last night, who in the end told me I had mentioned CT as much as CT had mentioned CR! :-)

20 mentions in the first half and the first mention in the 2nd half came after less than a minute!

I think SM is fine, actually commentates on the match as opposed to some, like Tyldesley and Pearce who talk about everything but.

Its all subjective and I suspect there may be a bit of "Lets keep ITV sweet as they do a good job with the Racing", but Racing Post article was praising ITV commentary teams, especially the co comms in an article last Saturday - Mr T didn't get a mention though!

Matterface sadly is to busy scripting his lines and shoehorning them in regardless of what is going on in the match. And he finds it hard to shut up and let the pictures do the talking (sadly no one follows the Richie Benaud rule any more).

And having Dixon alongside him doesn't help either. The other night when we were 2-0 up with the game still in the balance he pipes up "Is it too early to start thinking about the next game against France?' SHUT THE FCK UP!!!

Davies, Motson and an exhumed Brian Moore would piss all over this lot. And they didn't normally need co-commentators either.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:17 - Dec 7 with 1542 viewsNorthernr

FIFA World Cup thread. on 09:03 - Dec 7 by PinnerPaul

I agree 100%, but surely that means he is not (yet) at PL level?

I don't think he is, do you?
He's good Championship.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:54 - Dec 7 with 1425 viewsPinnerPaul

FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:17 - Dec 7 by Northernr

I don't think he is, do you?
He's good Championship.

No I don't - as I said I agree 100%.

So fears/hopes he may go for mega money any time soon are unfounded in my view.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:22 - Dec 7 with 1379 viewsJuzzie

In this stats obsessed world I'd like to know over a 90 minute game how many minutes Ronaldo has the ball and how many minutes he spends looking at himself on the big screen.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:27 - Dec 7 with 1367 viewsdaveB

FIFA World Cup thread. on 09:31 - Dec 7 by TheChef

Matterface sadly is to busy scripting his lines and shoehorning them in regardless of what is going on in the match. And he finds it hard to shut up and let the pictures do the talking (sadly no one follows the Richie Benaud rule any more).

And having Dixon alongside him doesn't help either. The other night when we were 2-0 up with the game still in the balance he pipes up "Is it too early to start thinking about the next game against France?' SHUT THE FCK UP!!!

Davies, Motson and an exhumed Brian Moore would piss all over this lot. And they didn't normally need co-commentators either.

Not sure about Motson, always found him annoying.
Great description of Matterface, completly agree.

John Champion has been good, Ally McCoist a joy and Clive was alright until last night's Ronaldo waffle.

Jermaine jenas on the the BBC talking about wanting players to put a tough tackle in and get stuck in has got me, bloke pulled out more often than a catholic

Danny Murphy, Keown and Hartson as well are so dull to listen to. When you get someone like McCoist who sounds like he is happy to be there it shows all of the others up.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:57 - Dec 7 with 1307 viewsLogman

What has happened to Lee Dixon ? He was quite insightful when he first started in the studio but these days he is totally morose. I spend my time worrying if he is OK rather than watching the football.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:21 - Dec 7 with 1254 viewsToast_R

John Motson in the 2002 World Cup kept on and on about breakfast back home due to the early starts GMT. It really became annoying in the end.

"Hold the cups and saucers back home.... you can smash them now!" Etc
On and on it went, "The sausages will be sizzling after that one".
[Post edited 7 Dec 2022 16:23]
FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:34 - Dec 7 with 1223 viewsPinnerPaul

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:27 - Dec 7 by daveB

Not sure about Motson, always found him annoying.
Great description of Matterface, completly agree.

John Champion has been good, Ally McCoist a joy and Clive was alright until last night's Ronaldo waffle.

Jermaine jenas on the the BBC talking about wanting players to put a tough tackle in and get stuck in has got me, bloke pulled out more often than a catholic

Danny Murphy, Keown and Hartson as well are so dull to listen to. When you get someone like McCoist who sounds like he is happy to be there it shows all of the others up.

although Roy Keane and Souness never look happy .....................anywhere!

Lee Dixon also pretty good I think.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:37 - Dec 7 with 1219 viewsdaveB

FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:21 - Dec 7 by Toast_R

John Motson in the 2002 World Cup kept on and on about breakfast back home due to the early starts GMT. It really became annoying in the end.

"Hold the cups and saucers back home.... you can smash them now!" Etc
On and on it went, "The sausages will be sizzling after that one".
[Post edited 7 Dec 2022 16:23]

Brian Morre was similiar in 1986 going on about the time difference every night.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:38 - Dec 7 with 1215 viewsdaveB

FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:34 - Dec 7 by PinnerPaul

although Roy Keane and Souness never look happy .....................anywhere!

Lee Dixon also pretty good I think.

Keane and Souness have become a parody of themselves recently. They were so angry about Brazil the other night was ridiculous
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024